New Unit: Hounds of Morkai

MeatGrinder

Ragnar being released solo is new - God only knows that I certainly wasn't going to buy that box just to get him. They aren't passing him off as new though, they acknowledged right in the text.

That's certainly fair, its just a bit irksome that he is being attached to this new supplement as some sort of 'here is your character' moment when the other PA characters were released individually without being welded on in this manner. 

Granted, its possible that DA and BA wont get new characters but you have to admit it would be irksome if they both did or got IF, IH, RG, Sally-tier upgrade sprues while we are left with this sort of questionable bounty.

idk, it just doesnt sit right with me.

Granted, I am not saying that its wrong for you to be satisfied with it. Its just really not to my own liking. 

I believe the IF, etc. upgrade sprues are the same size. The main problem with the SW one is that it has shoulderpads for blackmane's great company, which is totally useless if a different GC.

I was hoping out for a new transfer sheet with some of the great companies with no transfers, like the deathwolves or ironwolves, which we still may see, depending on what the base SW transfer sheet is.

99070101038_SWPrimarisUpgrades01.jpg

¥2,000

99070101043_IFPrimarisUpgrades01.jpg

¥3,570

I am not sure you can say they are equal, you get a fair bit more variety (if not quantity) out of the IF box than you would out of two of the SW (which is equivalent quantity). For a cheaper price too.

Edited by StrangerOrders

The IF box is two of its sprues, which are of the same/similar size. Both include six PA shoulder pads, three gravis shoulderpads, three heads, two arms, and 6-7 trinkets. The SW one was half the price of the IF one until the price rise earlier this year, and ended up being vastly cheaper because the SC: SW box came with two of them, so just a box of intercessors + the IF one would be $85 USD, while SC: SW was $95 USD with some aggressors and an LT for that extra $10.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 'd

The Primaris upgrade sprues for all the Chapters are the same size: 3-7 small bits (WS and Salamanders actually get short changed with only three, SW get 7), 3 heads, 3 Gravis pauldrons, 6 standard pauldrons, 2 Arms. Where the Wolves, BA, and DA ones lose out is that they are $14 for a single sprue without transfers, where as WS, IF, IH, and Salamanders all come with 2 sprues and transfers for $25 (although that might go up when their Supplements are released). Ultramarines are actually the worst off, because their sprue is $15 for a single without transfers.

Seriously, there's no additional variety to anyone's sprues though - they are just repeats of the same one.

Also, don't forget about the non-Primaris upgrade sprue either - that entire sprue is usable on Primaris as well, with only the back plate w/ pelt requiring anything more than just chopping off a hand (hopefully we don't lose that one out of GW's stock line up, I need at least two more of them).

The best deal of all of it is the current standalone SW transfer sheet, which gives so many transfers for the Blackmanes, Drakeslayers and Company of the Great Wolf, for less than any one of the IF, etc. upgrade packs. Can handle like 100 infantry models per great company for just one of those.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I wouldn't expect anyone else to get more than we are, honestly. Note that Deathwatch aren't getting anything new. I'd guess Blood Angels get a death company intercessor box, while Dark Angels get their own unique version of an existing kit.

As for the hounds... Reivers actually got a pretty interesting strategem in the new codex. Combine that with some small quirks, and they might find their home as a niche Silver Bullet unit.

Edited by Squark

The DA are the hardest, don't know what they would mix with another kit. Anything interesting would be RW/DW, which the upgrade sprue doesn't work for.

I'm quite interested in the new Hounds of Morkai, I like them, although I think I will do some more changes to them. The paint scheme is what I like the most.

I am hoping for some ability to Deny the Witch. Some anti-psyker could be quite fun.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

That's certainly fair, its just a bit irksome that he is being attached to this new supplement as some sort of 'here is your character' moment when the other PA characters were released individually without being welded on in this manner.

SW got 2 characters so far (Lt and Ragnar). Deathwatch got big fat zero. Despite the most unique organization and wargear out of all SM. Not only no primaris character, no generic Lt with DW gear or watch master either. Wanna swap? :ermm:

Then there is the most dumb and silly bit - SW lieutenant can get unique loadout. The same lieutenant, when attached to DW? Apparently forgot to take his stuff with him, and he can't take replacement from DW armory either. Apparently the only chapter in the Galaxy that follows version 0.1 of Codex Astartes to the point of threatening even most divergent members with execution if they even glance on any unapproved stuff is DW. Even though if there is one chapter in existence with authority to rapidly develop and deploy anti-X units like the above Fangs (not that DW rule writers are competent enough to think of any), it's the boys in black. Again, wanna swap? We'll gladly take this "insult" :rolleyes:

According to valrak, it will be £27.50, which I think is again overcosted for what it is, probably at the high price of $45 USD after proprietary conversions.

I would just buy a box of reivers at that point and make ten of them, or get the combat patrol box, which has five anyways. I don't play blackmanes and I don't care about molded shoulderpads, so ymmv depending on that.

Compiled from Valrak, all prices in Pounds

Combat Patrol Box 85

Supplement 17.50

Dice 20

Datacards 10

Outriders 36.50

Hounds 27.50

Ragnar 26.50

Does anyone know if the datacards will include the generic SM stratagems as well as the wolf specific ones? I really like the datacards but am hoping I don't have to buy both sets just to have cards for all the available strats.

Combat Patrol Box 85

Supplement 17.50

Dice 20

Datacards 10

Outriders 36.50

Hounds 27.50

Ragnar 26.50

Does anyone know if the datacards will include the generic SM stratagems as well as the wolf specific ones? I really like the datacards but am hoping I don't have to buy both sets just to have cards for all the available strats.
We only needed one set for 8th

Trying to think whats in Space Marine set that wouldnt be in ours?

Marines is

- 7x core Stratagems

- 34x Space Marine Stratagems

- 1x Smite psychic power

- 12x psychic power cards (6 each for the Librarius and Obscuration disciplines)

- 7x Litanies of Battle

If cards price is correct it looks like we will need both

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Combat Patrol Box 85

Supplement 17.50

Dice 20

Datacards 10

Outriders 36.50

Hounds 27.50

Ragnar 26.50

We only needed one set for 8th

Trying to think whats in Space Marine set that wouldnt be in ours?

Marines is

- 7x core Stratagems

- 34x Space Marine Stratagems

- 1x Smite psychic power

- 12x psychic power cards (6 each for the Librarius and Obscuration disciplines)

- 7x Litanies of Battle

If cards price is correct it looks like we will need both

Now that I think about it I'm sure we will need both. That's how it worked for the chapters that received supplements with marine dex 2.0 in 8th.