New Unit: Hounds of Morkai

MeatGrinder

Price for the supplement is nice, glad to see that they didn't price them too high. Might add in some of the cards with it then.

Outriders are way too expensive for an ETB kit, I would look at picking up or splitting an elite or command edition instead. Just the skorpekh and outriders sum up to 71 pounds, while the elite edition is only 65 pounds with warriors, some assault intercessors, a captain and an overlord on top of that.

It does look like they rebranded the existing SW box to just 'Grey Hunters' instead of 'Space Wolf Pack', which is significantly more useful.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

If so am buying ours and thats it

Sure we know the core strats and litanies anyway. Plus theres only 2 or 3 strats in marine codex that compete with or compliment our Beast/Index strats

I'm planning on making my own cheat sheet. I was disappointed with the marine ones, and I think I can make a better play aid.

I wrote the good ones from Saga of the Beastin short hand on the ones I didnt use from the codex :)

Price for the supplement is nice, glad to see that they didn't price them too high. Might add in some of the cards with it then.

Outriders are way too expensive for an ETB kit, I would look at picking up or splitting an elite or command edition instead. Just the skorpekh and outriders sum up to 71 pounds, while the elite edition is only 65 pounds with warriors, some assault intercessors, a captain and an overlord on top of that.

It does look like they rebranded the existing SW box to just 'Grey Hunters' instead of 'Space Wolf Pack', which is significantly more useful.

Definitely agree on the rebranding, I've known a shocking amount of new wolf players to get tripped up with that. 

Overall the prices look about as expected tbh, some are incredibly bad deals (bikes) but the Supplement is a really pleasant surprise (I was prepping to drop a codex's price on it).

Cheap enough that I might actually pick those dice up too actually. 

I am not convinced that the pricing on some of those units arent a clever way to direct folks to the big boxes though, I cant imagine why else they would do it like that. Granted, I have enough of those anyway since GW stuck them with sizes of 3.

Not surprised by Ragnar or the Fangs. I have already made my opinion there clear (again folks, we can disagree without going for the stakes) but I do genuinely hope they get useful rules at least. It would be cool if they somehow had some sort of general MW defense or a weak invul, something to let them live up to their role but not be left in a really dubious spot outside of a really Psyker-Heavy meta. Maybe some choice keywords, idk.

Ragnar is still a monster and I dont see that changing, so that box is moving regardless of price imo. 

I... I really dislike the Invictor and that price, while reasonable for the contents, is a bit high just to get my mitts on that Wolf Leader and some Tacts... idk, depends on whether I can convince a friend to pitch in.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Absolutely, that's a very sensible decision by them for them to rename it to Grey Hunters, they should have done that years ago.

I ended up with a couple of the start collecting boxes for other uses, so I have a few extra WGBLs that I'll probably end up using as assault intercessor pack sergeants later. I have a stack of the upgrade sprues which are useless to me as well for the most part, as I play Drakeslayers. So I'll end up passing on the box, simply because I don't really need anything in it.

I’m hopeful but if I want psyker defense I’ll take sisters of silence. They are cheap and can stack with other anti psychic tests things like wolf tail talisman and psychic hood for -6 to psychic tests if I really need it. This is if I take 3 squads of course. I not sure the fangs are needed but I’ll wait to judge when we know more.

I have a match against grey knights in a few hours.

Wolf tail talisman and the reliquary of gathalmore are my pre game relic choices (league custom rule is muster stage choose WL traits and relics etc.).

Combined it is -3 to cast 18" and all failures cause d3 mortal wounds on 4+ wounds.

If these Fangs of Morkai have similar abilities it will be overkill IMO.

It says they have a wolf tail talisman on the box.

My fear is it nerfed our relic or removed it and locked it with this unit

Edited by TiguriusX

Pretty sure d@n nailed the colors used here:

I'd say it's dark reaper with thunder hawk blue and fenrisian grey edge highlights

I think you nailed it! Looks very similar to the Dark Reaper basecoat found here: http://tabletopteacher.blogspot.com/2017/10/painting-guide-space-wolves-alternative.html

Nuln Oil'd recesses and we're off.

I kept saying Thunderhawk Blue, forgetting about Dark Reaper.

You can see an example painted with a base coat of Dark Reaper in the link I posted and it looks almost identical to the darker color on those Hounds of Morkai.

For the sake of cleanliness and focus this thread going forward should be used for discussing the new Hounds of Morkai Reiver unit. 

For specifically discussing our preview or errata please go to:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/366826-codex-space-wolves-errata-and-preview/page-12?do=findComment&comment=5623467

Thanks brothers

Edited by PeteySödes

Kind of annoyed they lose the terror troops ability (but not access to the anti-objective strategem, since they still have the reiver keyword) and wargear. They might have had a decent niche if they had access to toned-down special issue bolt carbines. Removing the shock grenades keyword is also a little... odd. I mean, that's far from the most bloated set of keywords we've seen.

Edited by Squark

I like the auras and the unit, I'm hoping that it ends up good enough to show up on the tabletop.

I'd much rather they make the bolt pistol and knife one good enough to take. Like in HH where you have to take destroyers with no jump pack for the DA Dreadwing, I have an odd appreciation for when they give a loadout/unit that wasn't seen before a niche.

Would have loved to see the hounds be a 'primaris wolf scout' idea where they are elite reavers with custom options live WS used to get - but that was very unlikely to happen what with GW current leaning towards squads all having he same wargear/minimal kit options.

However, lets not bemoan what were not getting.....not a bad little unit against a psyker heavy army (more for the -1 auras more than the D2 bolt pistols, which at S4/12" range still aren't great psyker hunters - although I guess if you're lucky on your wound rolls you could take out a librarian in 1 turn?).

I suppose they'd also be a fairly cheap throwaway smite screen with that 4+ FNP against psychic too?

Love the colour scheme though (i go for more 30k colours anyway whenever I do wolves but this is a really nice mix of 30/40k).

I'd much rather they make the bolt pistol and knife one good enough to take. Like in HH where you have to take destroyers with no jump pack for the DA Dreadwing, I have an odd appreciation for when they give a loadout/unit that wasn't seen before a niche.

I mean, that's a fine sentiment, but that would require keeping the 18" range of heavy bolt pistols and giving them better combat knives.

I like the idea here, but my local meta is also very light on psykers so they are as useless to me as I feared they would be.

A canny wolf player will just call them Reivers most games and just switch their names when they manage to convince some really gullable Psyker-heavy player to face them.

The concept is really cool, wolfy Tyrannic War Vets, but the execution is god awful unless you face psyker-spammers on the regular. They are functionally a lesser version of a weak unit 90% of the time. 

There is a discussion to be had about design philosophy here, as I said last night I was hoping they would take the approach of 'these rules are mechanically useful against psykers but have a general appeal' instead of 'obsess with a single keyword to the point of ripping out existing strengths'. 

I also feel like you are going to have a real hard time getting at an enemy psyker with them given that they have no other defenses or means of closing the distance. Unless your opponent lacks half-decent melee or shooting.

If you face a non psyker army you use morkai reivers to deploy scramblers

Turn 1 your DZ

Turn 2 spend 1 CP and remove from the board

Turn 3 arrive via outflank and deploy another scrambler

You should complete the secondary objective at this point...if not then repeat if your morkai reiver is still alive

Edited by TiguriusX

If you face a non psyker army you use morkai reivers to deploy scramblers

Turn 1 your DZ

Turn 2 spend 1 CP and remove from the board

Turn 3 arrive via outflank and deploy another scrambler

You should complete the secondary objective at this point...if not then repeat if your morkai reiver is still alive

Trouble there is then why would I take them and not just take normal Reivers and retain flexibility (and Deep Strike) and more relevant skills to boot (since Hounds are somehow less scary)?