Wishlist for a supplement

Medjugorje

Ah. Spent too long reading the Codex no doubt. A terrible way to go.

Its in the Imperial Fist supplement.

Miscommunication. I was replying to Brother Adelard, who said he was excommunicated for terrible crimes, I implied his crime was reading the Codex Astartes. A terrible joke about BT non-compliance that is now rendered entirely unfunny by explanation! :teehee:

Miscommunication. I was replying to Brother Adelard, who said he was excommunicated for terrible crimes, I implied his crime was reading the Codex Astartes. A terrible joke about BT non-compliance that is now rendered entirely unfunny by explanation! :teehee:

I still find it funny in a angry marine story that a chaplain is wiping himself with its pages

Miscommunication. I was replying to Brother Adelard, who said he was excommunicated for terrible crimes, I implied his crime was reading the Codex Astartes. A terrible joke about BT non-compliance that is now rendered entirely unfunny by explanation! :teehee:

Ironically, the only real quote by a Templar about the Codex is Grimaldus describing it as the greatest treatise ever written on space marine warfare.

Ironically, the only real quote by a Templar about the Codex is Grimaldus describing it as the greatest treatise ever written on space marine warfare.

I feel like I've just learned Santa isn't real all over again. :sad.:

I mean, memes or not, the Codex Astartes, is reasonable describable as a book like Sun Tsu Art of War. The difference for a chapter like our Templars vs Ultras or other chapters. Is that we see it as “guide” not a rulebook.

There is nothing wrong with using jt advice how to combat as a Templar. We simply don’t care to always without thinking to heed/believe/etc what the codex says. But its a tome containing valuable insight to Astartes Warfare.

The full quote:

The Codex Astartes –at least, the Eternal Crusader’s incomplete copy of that ancient text –detailed several thousand logistical concerns in the preparation, establishment and fortification of an Adeptus Astartes firebase. Humanity did not invest so much into us in order that we should grind frontline to frontline in protracted theatres of war –that is the purview of the Imperial Guard. The Adeptus Astartes are the falling hammer, the spear to the vitals, striking and withdrawing with the force of a killing thrust to the heart. But no plan survives contact with the enemy. Fortification and digging in during extensive worldwide Crusades are a necessity of the wars we fight. While the Templars may not cling to the Codex Astartes with a tenacity bordering on worship of holy scripture, it is still the most comprehensive treatise on Space Marine warfare ever written, penned by the hand of the Emperor’s own son, Lord Guilliman of Macragge. Its value is immeasurable to any commander, no matter what divergences are found in a Chapter’s culture. It is said that no complete copies still exist in the Dark Millennium. Even the original document’s origins are shrouded in more myth than truth. No records even exist as to whether Lord Guilliman wrote the Codex by hand across several dozen tomes, dictated it to nuncio-processors and servitor scribes, or compiled it himself into a hololithic library. There it is again, of course. Ten thousand years ago, when we were not forced to rely on flawed records and fractured accounts.

Rocks you to your core, right?

(edited to add full quote)

Edited by Brother Adelard

Besides the organization part that the Templars may not follow, the Codex should have quite a bit on warfare in general. The Principia Bellicosa that it is based on defined the entire battle doctrine of the Legiones Astartes for hundreds of years. Like reading the Art of War or von Clauswitz.

I also like the fact that Grimaldus states that Templars also dig in and prepare fortifications. I remember getting mocked on here once for suggesting that occasionally defence is the best form of offence. 

I 50% agree but I don't think that's quite it. (going off-topic here a bit) I think defence is a necessary part of an offensive when you need to restock and resupply, or when you are concentrating other forces for an attack and need to hold down the rest of your front in the meantime. It inherently conserves fighting strength while you do other things elsewhere in the theatre, but will never allow you to destroy the enemy. 

I'm catching up on what people are looking for in any supplement. I don't know if I'll work on a Templar force yet, but I'll probably at least pick the book up.

I like the idea of being resilient to psychic powers, but I don't see being able to deny them in any meaningful way. The whole denying the witch part is what the other knightly chapter with the Jawas does. Templars should be shielded from or resilient to the warp in my mind, but they aren't actually interfering with it to halt the power.

I'm catching up on what people are looking for in any supplement. I don't know if I'll work on a Templar force yet, but I'll probably at least pick the book up.

I like the idea of being resilient to psychic powers, but I don't see being able to deny them in any meaningful way. The whole denying the witch part is what the other knightly chapter with the Jawas does. Templars should be shielded from or resilient to the warp in my mind, but they aren't actually interfering with it to halt the power.

I might be thick but I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you think they shouldn't be able to nullify Psychic powers?

Oh I see. Well that wouldn't really reflect the fluff to me personally. The idea is not that HQs enter into a mental battle with psykers, because that would mean they were psykers themselves. Rather that all BT fight their own individual battle with the effects of psykers, and manage to shrug them off. The power isn't really stopped but their faith allows them to fight on unimpeded. So it is something all BT, collectively, achieve, rather than an HQ providing protection.

I also like the fact that Grimaldus states that Templars also dig in and prepare fortifications. I remember getting mocked on here once for suggesting that occasionally defence is the best form of offence.

I 50% agree but I don't think that's quite it. (going off-topic here a bit) I think defence is a necessary part of an offensive when you need to restock and resupply, or when you are concentrating other forces for an attack and need to hold down the rest of your front in the meantime. It inherently conserves fighting strength while you do other things elsewhere in the theatre, but will never allow you to destroy the enemy.

I kinda agree, but often it's the best, and most economical way to 'break' a numerically superior enemy. Good examples would be Macragge, Terra and Helsreach itself.

I kinda agree, but often it's the best, and most economical way to 'break' a numerically superior enemy. Good examples would be Macragge, Terra and Helsreach itself.

Yes, in cases where mere attrition is enough to cripple an enemy. Or where attrition + an opportunistic counterattack can disable a key enemy capability (but then that's not pure defence any more!).

Edited by Brother Kraskor

This is about a theoretical supplement, not the art of war - let's stick to the topic at hand.

It's not theoretical at this point, its inevitable.

I hope the rules allow me to play mechanized assault efficiently.

Edited by Sete