9th edition codex supplement

Karhedron

@Indefragable that sanguinor - sacrifice combo is indeed a perfect troll on somebody's perfect charge. Keen to try it

Yes one death vision per battle unless you pop the strat. Which I assume means using the hit reroll and the invulnerable save visions.

Edited by Shaezus

-I’m excited about the design space of the different Death Visions...but will have to see how they play out, You can only use 1 per turn per character, unless you use that Strategem, is that correct?

Each death vision can only be used once per battle. A death company character can only use death visions once per battle. There is a strat to let a death company character use two in one fight, or if they have already used a death vision, use a death vision that has not been used before.

Edited by BrotherAetherick

Just realised, with the combination of UWoF and the Death from Above stratagem, you can score the 2 points multiple times continuously instead of only up to turn 3. Which means either delaying a lot of resources to make sure that you clap your opponent’s units out of DS, or having the bodies on the table to score objectives. Interesting.

Death from above seems like a little bit of a trap though.  You need to kill a unit EVERY turn to get a max of only 10, unless its a character, in which case you can get more. 

I dont think this is a good option

It’s only 2 points per killed unit, however any unit that came from reserves at any given time during the game can score these during the battle. So if you committed half your army to a Deepstrike in turn 2, all of those units can continue getting points for you, probably including a character at one point. This also includes strategic reserves and outflank.

So yes, UWoF isn’t needed for this, and can indeed be a trap. But still, if that means the opponent desperately needs to take out the killy melee units (or even stuff like inceptors since it’s not restricted to close combat kills) to stop all of them from scoring, I suppose the units taking primary objectives could remain a bit safer overall.

You have to kill with a unit that came down from reinforcements, which isn't happening T1 unless it's the Sanguinor. 

As noted previously, until we get a FAQ saying otherwise, we're still bound by the wording of reserves rule which in Matched Play doesnt allow this. 

Ulike Drop Pods for example which can do this!

Unless there's a change in the Supplement we haven't seen, Red Rampage can only be activated from T3 onwards.

A Sanguinary Priest can use their Blood Chalice to change the active Doctrine to Assault Doctrine prior to Turn 3. Happy times 

Correct, but unfortunately this does not change the wording of Red Rampage, which requires the ARMY be in Assault Doctrine.  So, Red Rampage cannot be used until T3. 

Just realised, with the combination of UWoF and the Death from Above stratagem, you can score the 2 points multiple times continuously instead of only up to turn 3. Which means either delaying a lot of resources to make sure that you clap your opponent’s units out of DS, or having the bodies on the table to score objectives. Interesting.

Death from above seems like a little bit of a trap though.  You need to kill a unit EVERY turn to get a max of only 10, unless its a character, in which case you can get more. 

I dont think this is a good option

It’s only 2 points per killed unit, however any unit that came from reserves at any given time during the game can score these during the battle. So if you committed half your army to a Deepstrike in turn 2, all of those units can continue getting points for you, probably including a character at one point. This also includes strategic reserves and outflank.

So yes, UWoF isn’t needed for this, and can indeed be a trap. But still, if that means the opponent desperately needs to take out the killy melee units (or even stuff like inceptors since it’s not restricted to close combat kills) to stop all of them from scoring, I suppose the units taking primary objectives could remain a bit safer overall.

Good catch!! Hadn't realised that! That's a LOT better.  

Also, to get relentless assault and linebreaker, send 2x5 tactical squads and a drop pod into the opponent‘s DZ on turn 1, while other troops rush forward to get primary objectives. The opponent has the option of moving into your DZ to stop these tactical marines from scoring, or they must dedicate some firepower to get rid of them and the pod. Potentially a lot of secondary points there. Edited by SnorriSnorrison

What might be fun is a biker captain with 

Chapter Master

TH/SS

Angel's Artifice [RELIC] +1T, +1W

Iron Resolve [TRAIT] +1W, 6+++

Then either Foresight for the reroll, or Artisan for Adamantine mantle and a 5+++

14" move, 1+/4++/6+++, T6, 8W, with innate self rerolls to hit, and a single free invun reroll per turn, or a D4 hammer. 

Id take Imperium's Sword over the +1 - but wow, is this tanky! 

Sword is much better, and gives the critical reroll, but this was a fun build for max toughness. You can sacrifice some killy power to take adamantine mantle to give an effective 10 wounds, however I think foresight is better for the save reroll, as that can potentially block multiple damage per roll. 

The Iron Resolve trait also gives a 6+ FNP which effectively takes the 8W to 9.33W

Actually it's better than that. Each time you make the 6+++, that is an extra wound that you can save against the next time. Someone did the maths a 6+++ actually works out as a 20% increase in the number of wounds so it is pretty 10W.

Of course you could use Artisan of War to get an Adamantine Mantle for a 5+++. You would be starting at 7W but the effect of a 5+++ is nearly a 50% increase in effective wounds so you would be well over 10W in practice.

Soulwarden WL trait might be an auto include now that the Standard of Sacrifice is gone, and the FNP affects all units not just infantry. Might be great on a Libby Dread? Could any BA vehicles see play inside a 5+++ bubble?

It only affects Mortal Wounds, not normal damage so I don't think it is a real replacement for SoS. Not that it is bad, but not auto-take IMHO. Might be good against some armies that spam MWs.

I think the Sanguinary Priest with his 6+++ is the closest we get to a substitute SoS. Considering he also applies his resurrection magic and healing, he might actually make a unit tougher to remove than SoS as well as applying a combat bonus on T1/2 with the Blood Chalice.

I have only run a Jump SP once so far with my Sanguinary Guard but it was really amazing and I will be doing it again.

At 125 points, I can't see my Sanguinary Ancient coming out much in this edition.

Edited by Karhedron

What might be fun is a biker captain with

Chapter Master

TH/SS

Angel's Artifice [RELIC] +1T, +1W

Iron Resolve [TRAIT] +1W

Then either Foresight for the reroll, or Artisan for a D4 hammer.

14" move, 1+/4++/6+++, T6, 8W, with innate self rerolls to hit, and a single free invun reroll per turn, or a D4 hammer.

I can't find angels artifice relic, where is that?

On a humorous note I always get tennis neck looking at all the different comments of “check out this sweet combo!” “Umm, you can’t actually do that...” “..actually if you read closer you can!” “Oh yea, good catch!” “Technically you can, but you want option A76$B12 instead”

...one of the fun parts of new books coming out.

Regarding gear and WLT combos, realistically AP-3 is the most a dude will face, meaning 4++ will block that as well as AP-2 on a Sv2+. Thus effective Sv1+ is kind of a luxury/nice to have that really only helps out against massed AP-1 (aka chainswords and bolt rifles outside of their buffed doctrines). I mean, yes it will still give you a Sv3+ against AP-2, but I feel Smart Cover positioning helps against ranged, and most character killers have AP-3, right?

Somebody elsewhere pointed out that technically, RAW, not only can you use Forlorn Fury more than once, but you can use it on the same unit. So, provided there's space to land 9" away from enemy units to end each move, you could hop a DC unit all the way into your opponent's deployment zone before the first turn.

Now, I'm certain that's not intended, but do with that what you will.

Despite the heavy-felt losses of our core stratagems coming from 8th, the secondary objectives from the book seem all quite decent, and for the most part easily enough achieved.
The Death Visions are very flavourful, but mostly "eh" since they're once-per-battle abilities and have a few restrictions. They'd probably do well in crusade, but I haven't looked into that at all.

I'm still uncertain on some wordings. Artisan of War, Master-crafted weapon - can you actually give that to the hammer of Baal?? It sounds too good to be true, and then it usually isn't. I just can't imagine it's intended to upgrade the usually set profile of a relic further. :ermm: I'd gladly be proven wrong, for I might actually equip that MC hammer and go to town...

Despite the heavy-felt losses of our core stratagems coming from 8th, the secondary objectives from the book seem all quite decent, and for the most part easily enough achieved.

The Death Visions are very flavourful, but mostly "eh" since they're once-per-battle abilities and have a few restrictions. They'd probably do well in crusade, but I haven't looked into that at all.

I'm still uncertain on some wordings. Artisan of War, Master-crafted weapon - can you actually give that to the hammer of Baal?? It sounds too good to be true, and then it usually isn't. I just can't imagine it's intended to upgrade the usually set profile of a relic further. :ermm: I'd gladly be proven wrong, for I might actually equip that MC hammer and go to town...

Sadly not! The wording for Master - Crafted says it can't be given to anything considered to be a relic. Too good to be true indeed

I know what you mean about the death visions. The last one on the list makes no sense. Throwing away all your attacks for a 50% chance to do 4-6 mortal wounds? Weird but fun I suppose. The other two are superb for helping to get 15 VP for the "blade of sanguinius" secondary. One use is all you'll need

Just pre - ordered my collector's Ed. supplement and datacards. Bring on this new era for the Blood Angels!

From one of the photos:

"The Blood Angels fear neither heretical abomination nor xenos monstrosity. We have faced the terrors that lurk in our own minds, and seen the snarling beasts that seek to claw their way up from the depths of our souls

What can the foe threaten us with compared to that?"

That right there is why I've stayed BA since I started 30 years ago. Roll on 9th ed!!

I know what you mean about the death visions. The last one on the list makes no sense. Throwing away all your attacks for a 50% chance to do 4-6 mortal wounds? Weird but fun I suppose. The other two are superb for helping to get 15 VP for the "blade of sanguinius" secondary. One use is all you'll need

The last one is actually pretty useful - use it on a character who is completely outmatched (say a DC Lt versus Abaddon), if it passes, fun times 4-6 MW, if you fail it then nothing happens, no attacks from either character (and unless I'm missing something it doesn't stop others piling attacks on)