Grey Knights 9th edition wishlist

Skywrath

Are people expecting the 1 Grand Master per detachment rule coming our way?

Its a possibility, as they seem to be putting restrictions on who can lead your army, I doubt we will be able to take Draigo and not have to have him as our WL.

I think you are both misunderstand what Skywrath and I are saying.

But we are entirely off topic, I expect a Lunkhead intervention any moment. 

Edited by Reskin

=][=

HELLO EVERYONE:biggrin.:

Yes, we are getting entirely off topic on this aren't we? Even though Space Marine and Grey Knight chapter structure is a personal favorite of mine, I believe the subject at hand is wish listing (see subject thread title), so let's get back to that shall we?:yes:

I'll create a new thread concerning GK chapter structure later today and move some of these posts there for anyone inclined to continue that discussion. I'll also move some other off topic posts to other appropriate threads while I'm at it.

In the mean time let's get back to wishing..... Remember, the Emperor is reading those lists, and checkin' em twice.... he's gonna find out who's naughty or nice:whistling:

=][=

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Well they do know smite. Its a tricky one. Lore wise the GM has multiple other skills eg being a tactician, leader, commander. Where as the librarian is a powerful psyker in an army where everyone is a psyker. And how it currently is represents this to a degree. And if you want to make a gm as good as a librarian we have lore master.

I would love to see the gm go to 2 known but then also a buff to the librarian. But the issue is where do you draw the line? As if the librarians and gm's get buffed voldus needs a buff to stand out.

Just to be sure, this is considered on topic, right?

Perhaps a reduction in point cost would be adequate for the librarian to be somewhere in the range of Brotherhood Champion or Apothecary? Voldus does already stand out by combining both aspects of GM (aura) and librarian (more powers), whereas the 3rd power would then put him above simple GMs.

Edited by Weltbild

Well they do know smite. Its a tricky one. Lore wise the GM has multiple other skills eg being a tactician, leader, commander. Where as the librarian is a powerful psyker in an army where everyone is a psyker. And how it currently is represents this to a degree. And if you want to make a gm as good as a librarian we have lore master.

I would love to see the gm go to 2 known but then also a buff to the librarian. But the issue is where do you draw the line? As if the librarians and gm's get buffed voldus needs a buff to stand out.

Perhaps a reduction in point cost would be adequate for the librarian to be somewhere in the range of Brotherhood Champion or Apothecary? Voldus does already stand out by combining both aspects of GM (aura) and librarian (more powers), whereas the 3rd power would then put him above simple GMs.

If Voldus could cast 4 straight powers without the stratagem I'd be happy. And could take powers from both disciplines, I'd be super happy. I think if most our of HQ could know and cast 2 powers I'd be happy, librarian know 3, cast 2? but I'm super bias and greedy when it comes to GK so....

=][=

Yes, we are getting entirely off topic on this aren't we? Even though Space Marine and Grey Knight chapter structure is a personal favorite of mine, I believe the subject at hand is wish listing (see subject thread title), so let's get back to that shall we?:yes:

I'll create a new thread concerning GK chapter structure later today and move some of these posts there for anyone inclined to continue that discussion. I'll also move some other off topic posts to other appropriate threads while I'm at it.

In the mean time let's get back to wishing..... Remember, the Emperor is reading those lists, and checkin' em twice.... he's gonna find out who's naughty or nice:whistling:

=][=

Well I am "wishing" that the Grand Masters get the Chapter Master treatment with a 0-1 per army type limitation, and Draigo gets a semi-primarch type of treatment (300-400 pts with a kick-ass stat line and appropriate boosts with weapons/psychics etc), I mean living in the Warp for all that time might have created a "super faith" in the Emperor, or unknown to the Imperium arcane knowledge or some such. Then a little lore adjustment would see the "Council" stand apart from the Brotherhoods (with some kind of spiritual/mentor type link maybe) and the BCs become the Brotherhood leaders in truth.

But these are really only off the top of my head "headlore" type wishes.  What I expect to see is an extra wound to be dropped on anything currently in a squad and some Brotherhood flavorings in much the same way as  Nurgle etc have had.  Also the Dreads being bought up to Astartes standard, and melee weapons following other precedence set.

What I would like to see pretty much falls in line with what most others have voiced in previous posts with I guess some nuances.

Ordo Malleus in the core rule book as an HQ option with a retinue of 1 unit per Inquisitor taken.  I know we can have one now, I just want more than one if I want (I own five so selfish much?!).

GK psychic powers should all get the Smite treatment, ie we have the chance to cast multiple copies of the same power each turn from different Units withe cost rising each cast.  Even if very little else changed this would set us apart as the best psykers in the Imperium as a group but not threaten the pre-eminence of some the individual legendary psykers from other factions.

Give Characters (or at least Librarians) normal Smite.

Purifying Flame increase to 6" range.

The Aegis becomes a special rule - Only Perils of the Warp on a double 6, and either wiithin 12"of caster, or if being targeted by caster roll 3 dice to deny choosing the two highest, or a 6+ ignore against Mortal wounds  (a Mortal wounds FnP).

Psychic Onslaught and Psychic Ammo are reduced to 1 CP each.

Orbital Bombardment reduced to 2CP.

Extra Teleportation Shunt 1CP (include DK or BChamp if equipped).  

DK Teleporter equipped model can Shunt once per model in the game.

Daemon Slayer becomes Empyrium Slayer and works against Daemons and Psykers, or Chaos Slayer and works against anything with a Daemon or Chaos keyword.

Brotherhood Champion can be equipped with personal Teleporter and have access to Teleportation Boost stratagem.

Terminator Armour – Fire Heavy weapons without penalty.

Psycannon – D+1.

Heavy Psycannon – Change to Str 8, AP -2. D+1.

Psilencer – Wounds non-vehicles on a 4+ (keeps Str 4 for testing against vehs and low toughness infantry)

Gatling Psilencer – Wounds non-vehicles on a 4+ (keeps Str 4 for testing against vehs and low toughness infantry)

Incinerator – Increase range and make it 2D3 auto hits, and give psi keyword.

Heavy Incinerator - Increase range and make it 3D3 auto hits, and give psi keyword.

And as many others have said so no nuance here - give GMs a second selectable known power, give Apothecaries a FnP aura, and plenty of other stuff I have forgotten, but you get the picture.

=][=

=][=

Well, that was quick. Thanks, Lunkhead!  

Yep! With all Librarians for SM getting Cast 2/Deny 2, I wouldn't be surprised if our Librarian gets +1 to either or both. Would reflect our superiority to the regular marines. What would be your thoughts about mixing Sanctic and Dominus powers though? 

=][=

=][=

Well I am "wishing" that the Grand Masters get the Chapter Master treatment with a 0-1 per army type limitation, and Draigo gets a semi-primarch type of treatment (300-400 pts with a kick-ass stat line and appropriate boosts with weapons/psychics etc), I mean living in the Warp for all that time might have created a "super faith" in the Emperor, or unknown to the Imperium arcane knowledge or some such. Then a little lore adjustment would see the "Council" stand apart from the Brotherhoods (with some kind of spiritual/mentor type link maybe) and the BCs become the Brotherhood leaders in truth.

It is my belief that the points value that we are seeing when 9th launched are the ones with 9th edition in mind, including the changes we haven't seen yet. But the above is what I had in mind earlier, and that definitely gets my upvote. Could we see the return of the S10 Titansword, I wonder? Oh, imagine Draigo with a specific to him psychic discipline - that would be awesome!

But these are really only off the top of my head "headlore" type wishes.  What I expect to see is an extra wound to be dropped on anything currently in a squad and some Brotherhood flavorings in much the same way as  Nurgle etc have had.  Also the Dreads being bought up to Astartes standard, and melee weapons following other precedence set.

Realistically, they probably will, I don't see why not.

What I would like to see pretty much falls in line with what most others have voiced in previous posts with I guess some nuances.

Ordo Malleus in the core rule book as an HQ option with a retinue of 1 unit per Inquisitor taken.  I know we can have one now, I just want more than one if I want (I own five so selfish much?!).

GK psychic powers should all get the Smite treatment, ie we have the chance to cast multiple copies of the same power each turn from different Units withe cost rising each cast.  Even if very little else changed this would set us apart as the best psykers in the Imperium as a group but not threaten the pre-eminence of some the individual legendary psykers from other factions.

Agreed, it still boggles me to this day that regular marines have D3 and a D6 Super-Smite, but we only have a 1 damage or a 2 damage smite (if we change tides), aren't GK supposed to be eating other astartes psykers for breakfast come to think of things?

Agreed. However, imagine a codex where for each unit we get to choose our smite type. So example - Let's say we have a 2W strike squad and for I don't know 15points he gets the D6 purifying flame smite. That would really open up the diversity for the Grey Knight playstyle!

The Aegis becomes a special rule - Only Perils of the Warp on a double 6, and either wiithin 12"of caster, or if being targeted by caster roll 3 dice to deny choosing the two highest, or a 6+ ignore against Mortal wounds  (a Mortal wounds FnP).

Another cool idea. Also make us immune to negatives to psychic results to reflect our superiority. Or make it so that if we are within 6" or a librarian we are immune to it. That would make the Librarian much more useful as a HQ choice (granted, he is useful now, but even more useful then!)

I'm actually fine with them being 2CP each. With the damage increase to psycannons/psilencers very likely happening, 1CP would be too cheap for this. Especially if you consider potential tide interactions with vehicles such as GMNDK's.

Interesting idea, has this happened in fluff?

Daemon Slayer becomes Empyrium Slayer and works against Daemons and Psykers, or Chaos Slayer and works against anything with a Daemon or Chaos keyword.

Brotherhood Champion can be equipped with personal Teleporter and have access to Teleportation Boost stratagem.

Psycannon – D+1.

Psilencer – Wounds non-vehicles on a 4+ (keeps Str 4 for testing against vehs and low toughness infantry)

Gatling Psilencer – Wounds non-vehicles on a 4+ (keeps Str 4 for testing against vehs and low toughness infantry)

Heavy Incinerator - Increase range and make it 3D3 auto hits, and give psi keyword.

Agreed, some cool ideas there!

And as many others have said so no nuance here - give GMs a second selectable known power, give Apothecaries a FnP aura, and plenty of other stuff I have forgotten, but you get the picture.

Also check your PM's dude, I sent you one like two weeks ago. 

=][=

=][=

But these are really only off the top of my head "headlore" type wishes. What I expect to see is an extra wound to be dropped on anything currently in a squad and some Brotherhood flavorings in much the same way as Nurgle etc have had. Also the Dreads being bought up to Astartes standard, and melee weapons following other precedence set.

Ordo Malleus in the core rule book as an HQ option with a retinue of 1 unit per Inquisitor taken. I know we can have one now, I just want more than one if I want (I own five so selfish much?!).

GK psychic powers should all get the Smite treatment, ie we have the chance to cast multiple copies of the same power each turn from different Units withe cost rising each cast. Even if very little else changed this would set us apart as the best psykers in the Imperium as a group but not threaten the pre-eminence of some the individual legendary psykers from other factions.

The Aegis becomes a special rule - Only Perils of the Warp on a double 6, and either wiithin 12"of caster, or if being targeted by caster roll 3 dice to deny choosing the two highest, or a 6+ ignore against Mortal wounds (a Mortal wounds FnP).

Psycannon – D+1.

I love the idea of the bro champ having a personal teleporter. All through it is not in the lore I would love for it to change I think it really fits his roll of hunting champions and leaders. Even if it was a once a game strat rather than an equipment upgrade. Maybe 2 cp something something dual steps through the warp in to combat with an enemy character no charge needed however can not be in engagement of any other unit. And for balance does not get shock assault that turn

This is true. Let's not forget GM's already give re-roll 1s to hit. I'd like GW to improve their Psychic capabilities but not so much that they end up Psychically equal to Librarians. 

From another perspective on how psychically powerful units could be, consider:

- Magnus the Red = Knows 3, Casts 3, Denies 3.

- Chief Librarian Tigurius = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

- Chief Librarian Mephiston = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

GM Voldus already starts off equal to Magnus on his datasheet without buffs.

Draigo = Knows 2, Casts 2, Denies 2 (just short of Chief Librarians of other Chapters).

Generic GK Librarians = Draigo with +1 DtW rolls within 12" (with Lore Master = Chief Librarians).

I would like:

Generic GMs = Knows 2, Casts 2,  Denies 1.

Brother Captains = Knows 1, Casts 2, Denies 1.

^ This improves both of them while not needing to escalate GK librarians to maintain difference.

And maybe:

Other Generic GK Characters = Knows 1, Cast 2, Denies 1.

This is true. Let's not forget GM's already give re-roll 1s to hit. I'd like GW to improve their Psychic capabilities but not so much that they end up Psychically equal to Librarians.

- Chief Librarian Tigurius = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

- Chief Librarian Mephiston = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

Draigo = Knows 2, Casts 2, Denies 2 (just short of Chief Librarians of other Chapters).

Generic GK Librarians = Draigo with +1 DtW rolls within 12" (with Lore Master = Chief Librarians).

I would like:

Generic GMs = Knows 2, Casts 2, Denies 1.

^ This improves both of them while not needing to escalate GK librarians to maintain difference.

And maybe:

I think that sounds like a good solution with out stepping on any toes

- Chief Librarian Tigurius = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

- Chief Librarian Mephiston = Knows 3, Casts 2, Denies 2.

Generic GK Librarians = Draigo with +1 DtW rolls within 12" (with Lore Master = Chief Librarians).

I would like:

Generic GMs = Knows 2, Casts 2, Denies 1.

And maybe:

I think that sounds like a good solution with out stepping on any toes

Agreed. Should GK's also be immune to any negatives in terms of psychic tests?

Controversial I would like a 0-1 limt on paladins. But make them insane. In the lore the stuff the go through to become a paladin puts to shame captains from other chapters.

Death Guard's Deathshroud Terminators now have the new stats of:

M5" WS2+ BS3+ S4 T5 W3 A4/5 Sv2+ (-1T to enemies aura, -1 Damage vs enemy attacks).

Weapon: S+3 AP-3 D2 Re-roll 1s to wound.

Should Paladins be that insane...? Lol

Im rubbish with fluff.

There are always examples or regular Marines succumbing to the warp and such.

Is there any such thing for us?

Not as off topic as it sounds.

If there is no record of such a thing happening. Then it helps the case of having more perils mitigation in game.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Controversial I would like a 0-1 limt on paladins. But make them insane. In the lore the stuff the go through to become a paladin puts to shame captains from other chapters.

M5" WS2+ BS3+ S4 T5 W3 A4/5 Sv2+ (-1T to enemies aura, -1 Damage vs enemy attacks).

You haven't even gotten to the weapon profiles. Blightlord Flails and Axes are going to wreck.

Re: Paladins, they have the unique problem of trying to be better than 3W Psychic Terminators who can be taken as troops. Any way of making them seriously better will cost a lot of points per model.

I would not try to out-blight Blightlord Terminators. Just buff their stats and maybe give them an extra wound.

So in short yes I think they should be that insane.

The slightly longer answer. Is they shouldn't be as tough but I feel they should be more damaging. The stuff you have to go through to become a paladin is insane. Being in the 1st company / elite of another space marine chapter is easy in comparison.

I feel lore wise they should be as good at combat as a brother captian. Just lack the leadership qualities. In terms of table top thats a bit harder to balance

:cuss YES!

Yep! With all Librarians for SM getting Cast 2/Deny 2, I wouldn't be surprised if our Librarian gets +1 to either or both. Would reflect our superiority to the regular marines. What would be your thoughts about mixing Sanctic and Dominus powers though?

I‘d love to mix the psychic disciplines. Then again, being able to nitpick from both Sanctic and Dominus might be considered too strong. Who knows.

So in short yes I think they should be that insane.

The slightly longer answer. Is they shouldn't be as tough but I feel they should be more damaging. The stuff you have to go through to become a paladin is insane. Being in the 1st company / elite of another space marine chapter is easy in comparison.

I feel lore wise they should be as good at combat as a brother captian. Just lack the leadership qualities. In terms of table top thats a bit harder to balance

The good thing about the leaked Deathshroud datasheet, is that we know before these new stats their previous points cost was 47ppm. That's not too far from the 50ppm for our base Paladins. They both can be taken in units of 3 models and they are both the best and elite bodyguards of their army. Currently, they seem the most equivalent to compare.

I don't necessarily want a copy-paste for our Paladin stats, and I like how Deathshrouds have their own nuance debuffing abilities (weakening the toughness and reducing the damage out-put of their opponents)! Our Paladins also do get the innate Smite/psychic power/DtW built in, and even our basic Storm Bolter does completely outclasses their minimal ranged shooting (12" Pistol D6 S3 AP0 D1).

I think, with +1 attack to DG boardwide, we should get +1 attack on every unit too. We are a very elite army. Let our units be good.

It is worth mentioning that there is current debate whether DG are losing their +1A on the Charge. So, the total Attacks they get is what you see on the Datasheet. Meaning, on the first turn our GKs will still be getting that same number of attacks as the new DG...maybe. Something GW may have setup to further add basic rules distinctions between Loyalist Chapters and Chaos Legions.

Im rubbish with fluff.

If there is no record of such a thing happening. Then it helps the case of having more perils mitigation in game.

So in Lore there is no such thing - even under extreme duress (Pandorax novel describes what that looks like for one Brother).

So the Lore alludes to GK coming directly from the Emperor's genetic material (as opposed to via a Primarch), and a theory that I read (may possibly have been in these pages) a number of years ago, was that the Emperor cannot be corrupted and that he has paased or at least partially passed on this gift through his genetics, so whether true or not it sounds cool, and I agree we should be more resilient to Perils than any other members of the Imperium. 

I had some ideas about what this might look like above in my main wish list.

I wish that we were number 1 codex and at the tippity top of the mountain. With amazing stat lines, awesome weapon profiles, and some flavour. Although putting some limitations on chapter command so I don't have to see two GM NDK's on the same battlefield.

Thanks GW, luv you long time. please grant my dying wish.

Im rubbish with fluff.

So I seem to remember reading that although none have fallen to chaos. They have perished from tapping in to the warp to unleash power to banish the daemon. Very self sacrificial.

Let's theorise what our chapter secondaries would be like. With the removal from the pool of Adeptus Astartes and being given Sanctic Astartes I can see these 3 secondaries being given to us. 

1. Purge the Vermin (Necrons secondary), just replaced with the Grey Knight one. Possibly something to do with Demons as a condition?

2. Suffer not the Demon to live: Pretty much another copy/paste of the Deathwatch secondary, but instead it's demons.

3. Some sort of teleporting secondaries that incentivises us to go on the offensive. 

That being said though, how are we seeing Grey Knights progress as a faction when our codex drops? I think an argument for us being a melee army rather than a shooty one still stands. However, those psycannons being bumped up to D2 with potential tide interactions/strategems (and assuming the GMNDK with the tide interacts), they could be probably be something crazy like Heavy 6 S9, -3AP, D4 damage! That's... disgusting.

On a side-note: If the GMNDK's get T7 or T8 (that later being unlikely), then having two of these in your lists would be probably an auto-include with the above logic.