Grey Knights 9th edition wishlist

Skywrath

Could they be free because SBs get Psychic ammo all the time on Infantry?  Complete wish listing, but so fluffy.

Not so ironically, I had the same thought as you, but with one caveat. Imagine this, our psycannons/psilencers/incinerators/storm-bolters always get the benefit of Psychic Onslaught/Psybolt Ammunition when in Tides of Convergence. Assuming we keep our stat-line for those four weapons, it won't be *that* insane considering our psycannons can put out 2 damage max (at least currently). With psilencers it is a different story, as D3+1 damage is still pretty swingy, but 3 damage on average would bring us in line with other options from updated codexes. Similarly, it would also solve our demand for CP, making us a more balanced faction, from that perspective.

I've still got high hopes for the Codex. Seeing the big changes that have been made in all of the other Codices there could still be a lot going on that's not represented in the points. 

I also had a fun idea that'd be cool to see. What if every unit had a psychic power built into it's datasheet? Maybe just a 1 use ability like the way Interceptors are able to redeploy with out using Gate of Infinity. Or a baby version of the power like Purgation Squads that can ignore the benefit of cover

Honestly, as countless frater before me warned, don't get your hopes up. But after the pts pictures provided by Waking Dreamer, I'm all aboard the hype train.

That being said, an idea presented itself as I was typing out a response.. Compounding onto your theory, I wonder whether the 4th brotherhood (the precision orientated one) would innately give ObSec to interceptor squads in that detachment. I'm going to stand by this statement as I can actually see that happening. Like think about it - in a SM list you can practically give anyone ObSec (with rites of war aura). Throw some unit limitations on that brotherhood, and how would we be any different, aside from teleportation/GOI/psychic powers? We are supposed to be better than regular marines, that would reinforce that notion pretty well, it won't be that insane, as well as being fluffy to the ideas of the 4th brotherhood!

Edited by Skywrath

• 2 weeks later...

Had an idea - after converting a Bchamp from a primaris unit, and subsequently screwing the boosters of his backpack, I wonder whether we will see this. What if we could pay a premium - 15pts or so, for a character/unit to be equipped with an interceptor jumpack, similar to the jump pack upgrade of a regular captain of the SM. I'm not sure whether such a thing exists fluff-wise, but that could be an interesting option for PA units.

Or even better, an interceptor pack. So a fast attack hq that fits grey knights

It will be cool, however most things are in terminator armor tbh, making that option irrelevant now that I think about it. I doubt they would update one data-sheet to include that option (as I honestly don't see the techmarine having one). Purgs with interceptor jump packs though.. that's an idea. Would save use the Astral Aim slot for something more spicy. 

After using them on my Adepta Sororitas Dominion squad, I hope Grey kinghts get the equivalent of  the Artificer-Crafted storm bolter (Damage 2 instead of 1). GW could even call them Santicifed Storm Bolters so psybolt stragem could be used on them. Unfortunately if that happened our vehicles wold be stuck with Storm bolters like in the sisters codex. 

Back in 3rd power armour grey knights used to have true grit for +1attack! however that was also based of the old model where they used to hold the storm bolter. I do think having a option or strat to make them pistol 2 would be cool and helpful against hordes. They are ment to be good against hordes of deamons.

Yes I think they grey knights need something like the old true grit rule so their stormbolters can be used in melee. But to modernize I agree with gnomeo that it should become “pistol 2”

• 3 weeks later...
I think it would be awesome if we could once again take Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Scion equivalents) without breaking our special rules (like Adeptus Mechanicus can take Questoris Knights). If this has been mentioned before I apologize. It would be even better if they just allowed certain models to have the Ordo Malleus keyword, and that keyword prevented breaking our special rules. Edited by Ichar

Here are my expectations based on leaks/teases/MFM:

- obviously 2W basic boys and 3W terminators

- +1A on all units

- in conjunction with above, probably losing shock assault rule

- falchions give +1A each, all other force weapons +1S and flat 2 damage. Stave probably gets comparatively weaker relative to halberd, halberd probably +2/-2/2D versus +2/-1/2D for stave

- Brotherhood sub faction rules are confirmed by Imperial Armor GK having the <BROTHERHOOD> keyword, presumably there will be 8 named plus options to make a custom one

- per MFM we get a set of character upgrades AND a set of purchasable mini-relics

- Tides will probably change to an ability similar to the Skitarii buffs where you choose one each turn, probably with a warlord trait that allows you to double dip

Now the negatives …

- I expect to lose army-wide +1 to cast with that becoming a sub faction trait for 3rd brotherhood

- limit one Grand Master per detachment

- teleport shunt removed or nerfed for Interceptors, probably allowing them to go back into deepstrike to return at a later time

- loss of Sanctic Shard relic, following the trend of best relics being removed (although hopefully replaced by something just as good)

- Paladins to stay at 3W and unlikely to receive significant buffs based on points cost - I am not sure they will be worth taking over normal terminators

- Nemesis Dreadknights will not have CORE

- any ability to get to 3++ or better will be removed

Things I hope we see:

- upgraded storm bolters similar to the ones Sisters now have. I don’t care about D2, I would be happy with AP-1

- a way to meaningfully buff psychic powers army wide to replace native +1 to cast since I expect that to go away

- a buff to Smites at least for characters. If we keep 1D smites, we should not have to pay to escalating costs IMO

- Brother-Captains and Champions to be buffed, although based on points it seems unlikely

Overall I would say I am leaning pessimistic, based on points costs I don’t see any major buffs coming our way. It will all depend on the psychic powers, army abilities, and sub faction traits.

Edited by DistractionTacMarine

Ugh, it's not the end of the world but something tells me you're right about losing Shock Assault. But I'd rather lose Daemon Hunters. Or even the 9E version of ATSKNF that we're bound to get.

Don't think we'll get +1A for each falchion, just +1A for both. If Swords go +1S and Halberds go +2S, that would explain why falchion/hammer costs dropped in the MFM points update. Given their force weapon-like nature, I'd be surprised if Nemesis weapons change from random damage to flat damage. I'm unsure where they'll take Staves. I'd be tempted to simplify them by either giving it a 6++/+1++ all round or just removing the ++ altogether and giving it +3S.

While I understand why some do like it, I'm not a fan of the two-sided sword approach to Protector Imperative. I'd rather they didn't change the mechanics around Tides too much. Maybe they could instead require a unit to forego casting a psychic power in exchange for freely changing it once per turn.

On the topic of the Teleport shunt, do you think they'll nerf Gate of Infinity too? Considering GKs aren't the most mobile of armies to begin with, it would be a blow to lose such gimmicks.

Looking at their recent counterparts at 47-50pts, I'd expect Paladins to at least get WS+2 and a 'bodyguard' rule. Maybe they'll also get A4, or 4++, or some damage reduction if we're lucky.

Edited by Oiad

I think the weapons will all go to flat 2 damage because GW has been making a clear effort to move away from D3 damage weapons this edition. Force weapons have been the exception so far, but in an army with pretty much nothing other than D3 weapons, slow rolling damage and saves takes up a lot of time.

But... But all the extra rolling make up for our lack of rolling caused by having so few models! Lmao

As strange as it sounds, I like the idea of rolling for damage on force weapons. It emphasises the fact its a mini psychic test being made.

Edited by Captain Coolpants