Predicting Primaris: What will the next wave bring?

Am I the only person hoping against hope for more upgrade sprues? Intercessor special weapon options, Assault Intercessor jump packs, Hellblaster flamers/meltas etc.? Those and Primaris Terminators (read: *exactly* the same kind we have now, but bigger) and that's the "great replacement" over and done with for the most part. I'd happily double dip on MPPKs for those sprues tbh.

You’re definitely not the only one! I wish they were full size sprues though just like we used to get with DA or BT that would be sweet

Am I the only person hoping against hope for more upgrade sprues? Intercessor special weapon options, Assault Intercessor jump packs, Hellblaster flamers/meltas etc.? Those and Primaris Terminators (read: *exactly* the same kind we have now, but bigger) and that's the "great replacement" over and done with for the most part. I'd happily double dip on MPPKs for those sprues tbh.

You’re definitely not the only one! I wish they were full size sprues though just like we used to get with DA or BT that would be sweet

I reckon the standard size (below) would be perfect. You could get pretty much everything on one of these. Intercessors, for example, just need special weapons + arms, 1-2 heavy weapons (HB+ML?), sergeant weapons options (incl. combis) and some alternate heads/shoulders/misc bits to spice things up/fill gaps in the sprue. One of these for each of the currently released kits would probably do the trick. It would be, imo, a complete waste for them to make a Chapter Upgrade-style sprue for these when they could simply chuck one of these into a previously released kit with two other sprues and bump the price tag up a tenner. 

99120101190_PrimarisIntercessors06.jpg

I think I'm in the growing camp of people sick of constant Primaris releases, but if those releases weren't units adding to Codex bloat, and were instead expanding the options for the already available kits, I'd be hella hype. 

Edited by Jings

Said it before, if primaris get terminator armour it should be Saturnine Mk II, then release Saturnine Mk I as well for old marines (40k + HH rules there). If you see this GW, this will make a LOT of money for the company. 

I think it'll be this ( saturnine mk2 )mixed with a dash of indomitus terminator armor and a dash of a knight titan.

AndI6XY.jpg

2d46f2a78cab186f9f3844e9eada0565.jpg

Edited by Triszin

They almost have to re-do or supplement the chapter upgrade sprues at some point. Assault Intercessors have a very characteristic raised ridge on the left shoulder pauldron that the current kit lacks. I believe the multipart version of the Bladeguard squad uses the same style (the one in the Indomitus box is slightly different, but those aren't designed to be swapped easily).

Meanwhile over in Gravisland, we now have the opposite problem - the ridged pauldron in the existing kit works for Aggressors, but it's out of place for not only the Inceptors, but now the Eradicators and Heavy Hellblasters (EDIT: Make that "Heavy Intercessors"). And then there's also the fact that Heavy Hellblasters (EDIT: That too) come in squads of five, so the existing kits don't have enough for a minimum-sized squad even without the aesthetic difference.

I'd be surprised if they go back to just allowing jump packs to be added to existing sculpts as they really seem to be set on dedicated models with thrusters built into the boots as the only jump-capable Primaris. I would be happy to be wrong on that, though.

Also doubt we'll see a Melta option for the Hellblasters or a Tacticus squad armed with meltas. Eradicators are probably the only melta squad we'll see. GW just seems to be broadening the number of squads in the new range by limiting what each squad can actually do.

As for flamers, it came down to them and grav weapons for my guess about the next (last?) Fire Support squad, but my guess is that GW will leave Aggressors as the closest equivalent in the generic range.

And like I mentioned in the original post, up until a couple weeks ago I was definitely thinking we were headed for Primaris Terminators. Now I'm more convinced that it won't happen. But we should know either way whenever we see an actual Gravis Close Support ground unit. If it's just something like "Heavy Assault Intercessors" with "Heavy Astartes Chainswords" then there's definitely still room in the line for Terminators or something else that's heavier or different from Gravis. But if they show up with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, then that's probably a definitive sign that Gravis is indeed meant as the TDA replacement.

I do like the picture Triszin included though - that's actually more in line with my original vision for a heavy Primaris suit.

Edited by Lord Nord

The new Storm Speeder looks like the pilot has the belts on the chest piece, sort of like assault marines.

I would like to see a jump unit be omnis with that kind of belting and a jump pack, but not on a flight stand. The current inceptor/suppressor style does not work well for me as a melee unit. Just from a modeling perspective, I love the weight and force implied when they're pushing off of the ground for a melee strike.

The new Storm Speeder looks like the pilot has the belts on the chest piece, sort of like assault marines.

I would like to see a jump unit be omnis with that kind of belting and a jump pack, but not on a flight stand. The current inceptor/suppressor style does not work well for me as a melee unit. Just from a modeling perspective, I love the weight and force implied when they're pushing off of the ground for a melee strike.

I don't know. Given Shrike as an example, I wager we will see jump pack melee units in Phobos armor.

That said, I would also like to see what other characters get the Primaris upgrades. I bet we will see a Primaris Pedro Kantor this year when the Chapter supplements are released for 9th.

I still want an indirect fire unit for Primaris. I mean, just stick a Whirlwind Launcher on an Impulsor chassis, and call it a day. Ideally, give it an option to take the Missile Launcher from the Impulsor as well. That way, it can really provide all kinds of fire support.

I still want an indirect fire unit for Primaris. I mean, just stick a Whirlwind Launcher on an Impulsor chassis, and call it a day. Ideally, give it an option to take the Missile Launcher from the Impulsor as well. That way, it can really provide all kinds of fire support.

That's actually my other vehicle prediction for the next wave. Aside from the tri-build Flyer, I'm thinking they'll do at least a dual-build Repulsor chassis. One variant will be Dedicated Transport (filling the spot vacated by the standard Repulsor). It might go up to 12 capacity or so, but won't have a turret at all. Instead it'll just have a couple of hatches from which a single Ironhail pintle weapon can be mounted and probably options for the Icarus pod and auto launchers, maybe boltstorm/fragstorm as well. Could also offer Shield Dome (EDIT: and possibly Orbital Comms Array) functionality.

But I'm betting it will also offer a variant Heavy Support tank build with the Hammerfall turret. That turret really does look like it was designed to also fit on a Repulsor chassis and I don't think they're going to make us wait too long for it now (as you mentioned, indirect fire is a noticeable gap in the line now that so many of the other slots have been filled in). 

I'm less certain about whether they'd also make it capable of being built as a Hunter/Stalker replacement. That might end up being a later separate dual-build kit and as you suggested it might work better using the Impulsor chassis.

As for the "Hammerfall tank" I would bet that they'd include different bits for the launcher face so it can fire at least two different types, just like the Whirlwind.

There are a lot of different vehicle possibilities for the future - updated drop pods, transport drop pods capable of carrying and deploying Outrider squads like the Indomitus novel, larger transport flyers to replace the Stormraven, more dreads, possibly even more warsuits, but the two I'm picking to show up in the next wave are the tri-build Flyer I mentioned earlier and the dual-build transport/Whirlwind variation of the Repulsor.

Edited by Lord Nord

Said it before, if primaris get terminator armour it should be Saturnine Mk II, then release Saturnine Mk I as well for old marines (40k + HH rules there). If you see this GW, this will make a LOT of money for the company. 

Mmmm no. I play only Primaris but no, that would not be a buy for me and I play only Infantry also. so would love it rules wise I'm sure. That's just some ugly "What were they even thinking with those humps?" armor. Might take a poll for more objective data on a project like this.

We need a good Primaris flyer.

I like what they did with the Impulsor base in creating the Gladiator. They look good. Rules meh. If they could take the Xiphon Interceptor and tweak it with modular weapon (ie swap belly missiles for melta bombs) so it can be a multi-role fighter that doesn't look like a flying brick I'd buy two.

WHY? Whats wrong with the current kits? And don't tell me it's because scale.
Because there’s no way that B.C. upgraded their geneseed, their armor, their guns, their tanks, their transports, their walkers, their speeders, and their bikes; then got to the air craft and said “this is perfect and there’s nothing I can do to improve it” Edited by War Angel

The only thing they are really missing is a heavy assault unit, but even then they could just make a blade guard variant with hammers and fists and cover that part of it.

I think they might do a flyer, expand the bikes and blade guard a bit, and then chapter specific stuff, like Ravenwing outriders and some kind of special B Angel inceptors.

I think primaris  terminators would be great. Somehow in my mind they are a little like the rogue trader era dreadnought and in small units of 2 or three.

Reivers would IMO have been much better with lightning claws and I can see them being imagined with jump packs like shrike.

I can see gw releasing a big centrepiece space marine unit. Either a flier or a knight sized dreadnought. They have discarded enough background now that there are no real limitations anymore

WHY? Whats wrong with the current kits? And don't tell me it's because scale.

Of the flyers available to all marine armies, only the Stormhawk doesn't look a fisher price plane. The Raven looks ridiculous and basically requires an extended fuselage conversion (with one, it becomes one of the best looking models in the range imo), while the Talon is a potato with wings and there is very little that can be done to not make it look stupid outside of making it some sort of VTOL attack helicopter (which, same as the Raven, can make them look really cool). 

The wolves ramp plane and the Angels jet fighters look awesome though. 

Edited by Jings

Best case scenario (for me) would be an Interceptor that was a spiritual successor to the Xiphon Interceptor. Then a ground attack Aircraft that took inspiration from the Nephilim. Also all the love for the Corvus Blackstar. Probably my favorite transport in the game and any new transport that takes inspiration from that would make me impulsively buy 3.

However, after the release of the Gladiator, the upcoming Storm Speeders, and the Admech flyer. I feel like we'll one day get a Flyer kit that builds into three different roles including transport. Which makes me worry they'll grab a shipping container and add winglets, too many guns, and a jet engine and say that's our interceptor/trasnport hybrid. 

The outriders need more friends... I want a primaris librarian on bike, primaris captain on bike, primaris LT on bike, and a Judiciar on a bike.  Also... a primaris drop pod that can hold gravis or a redemptor.  Of course this drop pod would have as many guns as the repulsor.     

Now you see I think Primaris Terminators should be based on Tartaros pattern. If you look at Tartaros armour, you can clearly see it is based on Mk4 power armour. Mk10 Intercessor armour is also based on Mk4 but in an enlarged version. In my mind, Primaris Terminators should look like a cross between Tartaros and Mk10,

gallery_82363_15677_738.jpg