Predicting Primaris: What will the next wave bring?

Don't think they're anywhere close to having to make that decision. They're still adding datasheets for firstborn, and they still have a ways to go with Primaris. No company command completed yet, can't do full Deathwing or Ravenwing for DA, etc.

While both are making money, easy decision for them.

Command squad I think is a big one for them to expand to though. Lots of cool stuff added back for firstborn in 9E with that, but Primaris is still lacking it.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Don't think they're anywhere close to having to make that decision. They're still adding datasheets for firstborn, and they still have a ways to go with Primaris. No company command completed yet, can't do full Deathwing or Ravenwing for DA, etc.

While both are making money, easy decision for them.

Command squad I think is a big one for them to expand to though. Lots of cool stuff added back for firstborn in 9E with that, but Primaris is still lacking it.

Errr... You can go full Ravenwing/Deathwing for DA now.

They added the Strikemaster (Deathwing LT) and the Talonmaster (Ravenwing LT), both sub-factions have an Ancient/Apothecary/Chaplain/Champion for them, both have an "elite" version over the 'normal dudes (Deathwing Knights, Ravenwing Knights), both have Command Squad units (Deathwing Command Squad, Ancient and Champion; Ravenwing Black Knights, Ancient, Champion)

That isn't what I said at all. I said that you cannot do a full Primaris Ravenwing and Deathwing army, as those elements are supplementary.

Note the preceding statement, 'they still have a ways to go with Primaris.'

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Brothers let me tell you of my dream. Gravis Breacher Squads .

What will they have that Aggressors don't? Slab shields to give themselves an Invulnerable Save, plus ripper guns or grenadier gauntlets for extra firepower in the close confines of a starship corridor?

Big shields with astartes style full auto shotguns, solid heavy shot option + separate canister shot similar to a flamer, but its exploding 6's for MW's on canister. Sarge can take something high tech + crazy like a gatling volkite, plasma flamethrower, heat blade punch gauntlet- its a melta weapon but its melee. Gotta get the kids interested with this stuff remember. :whistling:

What will they have that Aggressors don't? Slab shields to give themselves an Invulnerable Save, plus ripper guns or grenadier gauntlets for extra firepower in the close confines of a starship corridor?

Big shields with astartes style full auto shotguns, solid heavy shot option + separate canister shot similar to a flamer, but its exploding 6's for MW's on canister. Sarge can take something high tech + crazy like a gatling volkite, plasma flamethrower, heat blade punch gauntlet- its a melta weapon but its melee. Gotta get the kids interested with this stuff remember.
FRAG-12s (grenades launched from 12 gauge shotguns) exist, so Astartes ripper guns should double as grenade launchers. To maximize their effectiveness in melee, let's mount power ax or chainaxe blades to the gun muzzles, like bayonets- if the Custodes can get power swords with integral twin bolt weapons useful as both ranged and melee weapons, so should the Astartes.

Big shields with astartes style full auto shotguns, solid heavy shot option + separate canister shot similar to a flamer, but its exploding 6's for MW's on canister. Sarge can take something high tech + crazy like a gatling volkite, plasma flamethrower, heat blade punch gauntlet- its a melta weapon but its melee. Gotta get the kids interested with this stuff remember.
FRAG-12s (grenades launched from 12 gauge shotguns) exist, so Astartes ripper guns should double as grenade launchers. To maximize their effectiveness in melee, let's mount power ax or chainaxe blades to the gun muzzles, like bayonets- if the Custodes can get power swords with integral twin bolt weapons useful as both ranged and melee weapons, so should the Astartes.

I would just keep them at gun + shield, melee option on sarge maybe, but probably not so they have at least some kind of drawback. 

Or have they maybe not thought that far ahead. They've released this new hot line of models, profited short term, but are now faced with the grim choice of whether to press on with the new line and alienate the Firstborn fanbase.

I'm pretty sure they made that decision along time ago, and are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They've keep the old line relevant by not making many straight up replacement units (even breathing life into a few attack bikes vets). I don't think first born will all of the sudden disappear I think it will be gradual phasing out of old kits over a long time period.

Or have they maybe not thought that far ahead. They've released this new hot line of models, profited short term, but are now faced with the grim choice of whether to press on with the new line and alienate the Firstborn fanbase.

I'm pretty sure they made that decision along time ago, and are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They've keep the old line relevant by not making many straight up replacement units (even breathing life into a few attack bikes vets). I don't think first born will all of the sudden disappear I think it will be gradual phasing out of old kits over a long time period.

I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but does anyone have recollections of how this played out at the beginning of third edition with the new Space Marine tactical squad plastics?

With first born (when they where the spine of the army)  GW make a new version of tacticals each 2 editions or so, maybe after 4 years, they squat the actual intercessor squad box, and release another one whit all the current options for the sergeant not presented in the box. And as a whish, portable onslaught glatling cannon as a support weapon, like the heavy bolter in the heavy intercessors variant.

Hellblasters looks a bit out of place now, every heavy guns unit in the range wears gravis, so maybe they redone them whit new armour. And a mega plasma incinerator Calw mk42.

Edited by Sargeant Centurion

Hellfury was a squad type called out in marines 8th ed 2.0. Maybe suppressors with heavy flamers or something similar?

Personally I'd love to see jump options across the board for characters and a jump melee unit.

I wonder whether Hellfuries ended up getting renamed as Eradicators.

i mean, at this point there are about as many things without ending in ors as there are right?

Anyway.

I imagine another wave of new primaris late this year or early next year, I dont expect or particularly want another wave sooner.

I'd expect MPK suppressors, as a dual release with some other unit, probably still a shooty unit, suppressor design isn't a good one for a melee unit.

I think outside of that, maybe some form of fast melee unit (that isn't outriders, which are a little hitty but outside of whitescars, not all THAT hitty due to numbers), the obvious one many have talked about is a true assault squad analogy,

Personally I'd like to see a hammer to the bladeguards anvil (yeah, bladeguard are decent at being choppy, but they're ultimately still intended to tank more than anything else due to being slow). If we got a true "assault squad" thing, then I guess a veteran version of those would cover it...

maybe a flyer.

Honestly I think the primaris line is essentially done short of recutting exisitng kits at this point... which is probably almost due for intercesors, based on the speed at which they did it for tactical squads in the past.

Hellfury was a squad type called out in marines 8th ed 2.0. Maybe suppressors with heavy flamers or something similar?

Personally I'd love to see jump options across the board for characters and a jump melee unit.

I wonder whether Hellfuries ended up getting renamed as Eradicators.

That's been my opinion since last summer when the codex TOC was shown (and it then became certain that we wouldn't be seeing a "Hellfury" unit in 2020). Hellfuries were presented as the upper-end of the Fire Support squads, exactly the position that Eradicators ended up occupying. If they'd been intended as separate units, especially since the 2020 wave would have been well-known when the 2019 Ultramarines supplement was written, there should have been an acknowledgment of the Eradicators' role (separate from Hellfuries). But there wasn't. So most likely "Hellfury" was a beta WIP name that didn't survive the final pass.

Edited by Lord Nord