Predicting Primaris: What will the next wave bring?

I still say they need to round out the HQs. Add a Gravis Chaplain. For the Lieutenant, put one on a variant Outrider bike, and have another be like an Inceptor. A Gravis Librarian with a new discipline would be great.

1/4 of our datasheets are HQs already, do we really need more added to the 100 we already have in the codex?

I want to add that the Primaris range only feels bloated because it's bolted on to the already most bloated range - classic Astartes.

If you looked at pure Primaris as an individual faction they aren't as offensive in terms of having too many options compared to other factions. GW also consolidated all the chapters under one Codex too, which was a good move.

I think that right now they don't need too many additional units in the immediate future, but if GW do seperate the ranges at some point they'll definitely need a lot more releases to fill some holes.

-Flying melee units

-More characters

-Super Heavy Troop?

-New Redemptor Arm options

Etc, etc

I want to add that the Primaris range only feels bloated because it's bolted on to the already most bloated range - classic Astartes.

If you looked at pure Primaris as an individual faction they aren't as offensive in terms of having too many options compared to other factions. GW also consolidated all the chapters under one Codex too, which was a good move.

I think that right now they don't need too many additional units in the immediate future, but if GW do seperate the ranges at some point they'll definitely need a lot more releases to fill some holes.

-Flying melee units

-More characters

-Super Heavy Troop?

-New Redemptor Arm options

Etc, etc

The way they did HQ options didn't help at all with the codex bloat.

But personally I'd rather a full stand alone 'dex for my blood Angels rather than pay $45 for C:SM and then $35 for C:BA.

Let's not forget they need a primaris storm Raven pretty badly imho

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

In regards to aerial mobility for Primaris, the visual theme is all over the place and I really don't like it. Hell, for me you could cut out the entire phobos and omni 'families' and space marines would be more cohesive. The big offenders are Inceptors and Suppressors, I get that in contrast to phobos armor being 'lighter' that grav-chutes wouldn't be enough thus demanded more but the way they bulked them up is :down:

And if Inceptors are one man speeders why are they a unit, why do we have actual primaris speeders? If Firstborn are the toolbox and Primaris are the specialized kit, why do we have so many units that overlap in some way? Why have intercessors? Assault Intercessors?:blink.: I just don't get it, and given how GW has spent money already there is zero chance that any of this will be fixed and I'm better off pretending it doesn't.

Because of my frustration I can't think of anything that should be coming for this army. I shouldn't have even posted:confused:

Part of that problem comes from GW not wanting to directly replace firstborn units.

But personally I'd rather a full stand alone 'dex for my blood Angels rather than pay $45 for C:SM and then $35 for C:BA.

Welcome to the world the rest of the Astartes have lived in for 6(?) editions. At least you still have a wealth of special units and characters.

Edited by Dracos

Welcome to the world the rest of the Astartes have lived in for 6(?) editions. At least you still have a wealth of special units and characters.
We were there in 3rd already...then there was the PDF era...

I'm waiting for Marines (and currently that means Primaris by definition) to finally get a new £85+ CentrePiece kit on a par with the Greater Daemons, Daemon Primarchs, Knights, Stormsurge or even in the £65 Riptide & C'Tan bracket.

There's only really a couple of possibilities for this I guess: a Flyer (Overlord), a Walker (a SuperDread of some sort) or a Super Heavy Tank (and the Legion Super Heavies are just begging to be in plastic like the Imperial Guard ones)

So that's what I think we're going to see at some point over the next 18 months, a dedicated Space Marine Lord of War kit that isn't Chapter locked.

Rik

Honestly I want a durable, fast moving assault transport work almost no firepower, to make it as cheap as possible

That’s exactly what the Impulsor is. It should carry 10 IMO with another variant or option to reduce it to 6 if you take any of the add-ons including shield dome.

Honestly I want a durable, fast moving assault transport work almost no firepower, to make it as cheap as possible

That’s exactly what the Impulsor is. It should carry 10 IMO with another variant or option to reduce it to 6 if you take any of the add-ons including shield dome.

I would like something that would allow dis embark and charge

I would like something that would allow dis embark and charge

Yes, that would be nice. But a Storm Speeder variant that can transport 5 Phobos, let them shoot from inside, and hop out and charge would be awesome.

I said what I said about HQs, because right now, it feels like I have to mold my army and my playstyle around HQs with static roles and options. It can be very frustrating. Why even have bikes, if only 1 character remembers how to ride after being promoted?! I mean, look at Primaris Korsarro Khan.

Also, you can easily build around Tor Garadon, Feirros, and Agrax, but what Primaris units go with Shrike? He either drops in, buffs a unit, and is stuck with them, or he has a wing of firstborn, and they get shot all to pieces.

A Primaris Shrike's Wing should be in Phobos, like him, and have jump packs, like him. Twin Lightning Claws, or options starting with (Heavy) Bolt Pistol and Chainsword right up to Thunderhammer and Storm Shield. And give them Smoke Grenades, so they can be at -1 to hit for just a turn longer.

Also, we need indirect fire units for Primaris. Update the Thunderfire Cannon for Throne's sake already! Slap a Whirlwind Launcher onto an Impulsor Chassis. It is not terribly difficult.

For Air Defence Artillery, I want that on a Repulsor chassis. The classic Icarus Storm Cannons on top, a couple Icarus Rocket Pods, option to take an Icarus Ironhail on the pintle, and definitely give it Auto launchers. Maybe even put a Skyspear Missile Launcher where the main gun would be on the turret. Also, give it at least a strat that lets you count flying monsters as aircraft and/or do mortal wounds to them.. Put the hurt on demon primarchs, big tyranid bugs, and big Tau suits. Hell, I would buy one of those, and another Primaris Techmarine to babysit it.

Yeah, I know we already have an ADA Speeder that was just released, but I don't know. An ADA Repulsor would shake things up. If it could chew up Riptides, a Tau player would all but ignore the rest of your army. Imagine a game vs Death Guard or Thousand Sons where their Primarch dared not venture to certain part of the table, until that thing was gone. Necron Flyers teleporting annoying zombie robots close by, not with this thing around. Ork planes? Forget about it!

Something that will take ten! Rhinos can fit ten 2W marines, Primaris need that without having to take a full-blown battle tank Repulsor. 

Been thinking a while that eventually there could be neo-classic kits. Ie, primaris versions of tactical, assault and devestator squads etc. Tactical squad could perhaps even be an alternate loadout for intercessors, where they take boltguns (or carbines) over bolt rifles, but fit in a heavy and special weapon too.

Been thinking a while that eventually there could be neo-classic kits. Ie, primaris versions of tactical, assault and devestator squads etc. Tactical squad could perhaps even be an alternate loadout for intercessors, where they take boltguns (or carbines) over bolt rifles, but fit in a heavy and special weapon too.

only way they'd do that is if they ended firstborn completely.

Frankly this whole mess should have been avoided by upsizing Firstborn rather than making everyone phobos or tacticus.

neither are much to write home about designwise anyway.

Nah, I think the new line and Primaris are great. It shakes up the setting and has led to some very interesting stories through the Black Library.

Frankly this whole mess should have been avoided by upsizing Firstborn rather than making everyone phobos or tacticus.

While I totally agree with you I think the issue some of the older marks would have from my personal experience is they feel a bit bare when you stretch them out to Primaris size. While I would much prefer the older marks the Mk X suit does do a good job of breaking up the open plates you get when making the older ones bigger.

I think what I would like to see is them release the older marks but made for Firstborn that have crossed the Rubicon much in the same way they did the Mk VI variant helmet with the Ravenguard upgrade sprue. My ideal of a having your cake and eating it situation.

Nah, I think the new line and Primaris are great. It shakes up the setting and has led to some very interesting stories through the Black Library.

Of course you do.

While I totally agree with you I think the issue some of the older marks would have from my personal experience is they feel a bit bare when you stretch them out to Primaris size. While I would much prefer the older marks the Mk X suit does do a good job of breaking up the open plates you get when making the older ones bigger.

I think what I would like to see is them release the older marks but made for Firstborn that have crossed the Rubicon much in the same way they did the Mk VI variant helmet with the Ravenguard upgrade sprue. My ideal of a having your cake and eating it situation.

Eh, with the armor plate access panels and room for stuff like studs, I feel the old marks are a good canvas when upsized, and that's without accounting for stuff like scrolls and skulls which the Intercessors pointedly didn't bother with for rank and file.

Fundamentally, the issue is that phobos looks a little too "power shorts", and tacticus works as its own thing but not a replacement. They'd have saved a lot of grumbling and questions if they'd just made "bigger Mk 7" its own variant for a single (veteran) squad or release wave and called it a day.

Yeah, that makes sense. What would be annoying is if they just flat out copy and paste onto Tacticus since that style isn't appealing enough to just delete literally every proper LSM armor variant over.

Edited by Lucerne

You can't justify all the Primaris releases if they aren't a new line of models. The classic Astartes were already a bloated range, whilst simultaneously being a very limited range with design for the function of units dating back to Rogue Trader.

You can keep on hating the Primaris, but at this point it's pretty redundant. Most people have been handily won over at this point, and their sales are obviously a success.

Edited by Ishagu

Jes himself said that when designing Tacticus, it was pretty much what he'd have done had he the knowledge and skills back when original armour designs were made.

For me the reasons I love Mk X Tacticus so much is that it takes the mk4 and mk8 designs, then borrows a bit from mk3 for good measure. And those three designs have been my favourite firstborn armour mks forever. Tacticus became my favourite once I saw it because it just took all the elements I liked about them and made something cohesive with those elements, even little details like pectoral armour shape was a big win for me as a blood angel player.

I can understand the gripes around phobos, the legs have always felt a bit weird to me too, although I generally like the upper armour of them still - largest issue for me is really the games scale for stats doesn't allow a difference, IMO phobos should have had a worse save than tacticus, or tacticus should have had higher toughness or SOMETHING, then phobos should have had increased movement. Then its a trade off between speed and toughness, which would fit the designs better.

Gravis design was a bit shakey with aggressors, but I think the stuff since garadon, including heavy intercessors and eradicators is excellent.

Omnis is bad.

All the above said, if they'd just scaled up the classic armour mks, I'm sure I'd have been happy as I'd lack the knowledge of what could have been, but if they'd just scaled up older mks and then showed concept for what could have been, I'd have been bummed out for sure.

I don't think upscaling marines would've been nearly as successful as Primaris. I would've for sure skipped it, I like the scale but not enough to restart and existing army for it that would play exactly the same.