State of the Union (Heresy)

im really struggling to stay "nice" at the moment im seeing so many primaris marines on 30k groups and the most toxic "im not gonna bother trying" attitudes. its really bringing me down

Ignore those people. The internet is full of trolls. Surround yourself with people who hobby mostly the same way you like to hobby!

Have you tried the Warhammer 30k horus heresy group sarabando, that is pretty chilled out for the most part. I think a combination of hope/scared, but then that is how most are when a new edition comes along! If you want truly chilled, then come to the Epic groups, nothing more relaxed than a community for a 'dead' game lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am stoked to return to heresy games and to this sub forum more actively! I have begun a new iron warriors project for heresy 2.0 and short of finishing sourcing cyclone launchers for tyrants I think I am mostly done figuring out mY beginning lists while I repurpose many kits formerly bought for a 6th legion army.

27 minutes ago, Bung said:

Day 1 was the Community expactation nothing that was confirmed.

They still have a week for this months PDFs.

Ya it was the community expectation because they thought they'd be able to play with some version of their non marine armies on release lol. Not to mention the units with no models.

No one really thought that they'd hold them back, especially with all the new plastic kits to be released in waves to draw attention to the system.

11 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya it was the community expectation because they thought they'd be able to play with some version of their non marine armies on release lol. Not to mention the units with no models.

No one really thought that they'd hold them back, especially with all the new plastic kits to be released in waves to draw attention to the system.

True.

It was Hope and in true Heresy Fashion it led to damnation and dispear. :D

Personly i am happy to have some downtime to digest the books before even more information overload.

Have played two games myself.

• One against IW was absolutely brutal. 
    • "Return Fire" on Tyrants is an absolute sledgehammer to the teeth any time you're shooting at them with anything other than something with a 2+ save.  Heaven forbid you dare sneeze at them with any vehicle other than a Flare-shielded Spartan (Or super-heavy), that vehicle is almost assuredly dead, haha.
      • Overwatch from them is also brutal, since we've not found anywhere yet that overwatch is snap-shots like the old style.
        • Not insurmountable, but we (Including IW player) found that it was a bit "rough" how absolutely sure they were to be all-stars any time they're targeted, charged, or shooting in their own turn. AKA, "24/7"
    • On the flipside, a "Wolf of Luna" praetor leading reavers w/an apothecary was an anvil of a unit.  That WS, 2W, and -1S is pretty damn brutal since even Powerfists aren't stopping that FNP (Or causing instant death) anymore.
    • Overall, was a fun game, we were thinking of playing next time without "Return Fire" though from how often it was completely overlooked against shrouding just for the opportunity for his Tyrants or my Spartan to fire back at something trying to ice it.
      • Oh, before I forget! Ran plasma bikes, they were a delight finally. The T4 is pretty rough though... If they were still T5 w/these new points I think they've would've been perfectly fine.
  • One against Word Bearers was a delight, start to finish.
    • Much more traditional lists. A 10 man Gal Vorbak is still terrifying as heck, but I found easier to plan around and play against without feeling "up against the wall" than the 10 Tyrant Sieges in the IW game.
    • We ended up using every reaction across the game, and it was a fun ride from start to finish.
    • Using the "Withdraw" reaction to stop a multi-melta from getting melta-range was my "simple highlight" of the new reactions system

Only other tidbit I have is that the Sunder on Lascannons is a huge deal now. Like, I knew it would be, but in practice, the Spartan was doing a lot of weight lifting, instead of just incidental firepower like in HH 1.0. It's re-rolling both hits, and armor pens now, and that wrecked two land-raiders and many, many rhinos in each game, by itself.

Baseline 2.0 opinion so far is:  "If your opponent respects fluff, it's a delightful system."

I have instinctual misgivings still that reactions can be abused, but so far, nothing directly observed to substantiate that. Maybe that's because my IW buddy rolled poorly on two of his three total Return fires and overwatches with said TST? Mayhaps my opinion would be very different if they'd gone better, the turn 3 overwatch rolls alone would've put me out of the game with one reaction if they weren't so atrocious.

ADDENDUM: We also noticed that the dreadclaw has no way for its cargo to assault from it on any turn if they were in it, even the turn after it arrives.  We think it's a rules oversight, but I guess we'll see in the Errata!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

1 minute ago, Bung said:

True.

It was Hope and in true Heresy Fashion it led to damnation and dispear. :D

Personly i am happy to have some downtime to digest the books before even more information overload.

Ya classic heresy disappointment for sure.

Im just a little baffled at the lack of designer notes/day 1 faq. And the obvious need for it; 2nd gobbled up the past 3 years of rules writing, and their editing team leaving stuff like firing protocols 2 on pert, some odd instances of bulky (fulgrim at bulky 6) and others lacking it (jetbikes, speeders, dreads and automata), no one knowing if the kharbdis is supposed to be missing deepstrike/how drop pod assault is supposed to work, character wound allocation, and all the other stuff that should be addressed. 

52 minutes ago, Dark Legionnare said:
    • Overall, was a fun game, we were thinking of playing next time without "Return Fire" though from how often it was completely overlooked against shrouding just for the opportunity for his Tyrants or my Spartan to fire back at something trying to ice it.

Vehicles can only shoot defensive weapons when they return fire, so your Spartan wouldn't have been able to fire it's lascannons lol

1 hour ago, Dark Legionnare said:

Have played two games myself.

• One against IW was absolutely brutal. 
    • "Return Fire" on Tyrants is an absolute sledgehammer to the teeth any time you're shooting at them with anything other than something with a 2+ save.  Heaven forbid you dare sneeze at them with any vehicle other than a Flare-shielded Spartan (Or super-heavy), that vehicle is almost assuredly dead, haha.
      • Overwatch from them is also brutal, since we've not found anywhere yet that overwatch is snap-shots like the old style.
        • Not insurmountable, but we (Including IW player) found that it was a bit "rough" how absolutely sure they were to be all-stars any time they're targeted, charged, or shooting in their own turn. AKA, "24/7"
    • On the flipside, a "Wolf of Luna" praetor leading reavers w/an apothecary was an anvil of a unit.  That WS, 2W, and -1S is pretty damn brutal since even Powerfists aren't stopping that FNP (Or causing instant death) anymore.
      • Oh, before I forget! Ran plasma bikes, they were a delight finally. The T4 is pretty rough though... If they were still T5 w/these new points I think they've would've been perfectly fine.
  • One against Word Bearers was a delight, start to finish.
    • Much more traditional lists. A 10 man Gal Vorbak is still terrifying as heck, but I found easier to plan around and play against without feeling "up against the wall" than the 10 Tyrant Sieges in the IW game.
    • We ended up using every reaction across the game, and it was a fun ride from start to finish.
    • Using the "Withdraw" reaction to stop a multi-melta from getting melta-range was my "simple highlight" of the new reactions system

Only other tidbit I have is that the Sunder on Lascannons is a huge deal now. Like, I knew it would be, but in practice, the Spartan was doing a lot of weight lifting, instead of just incidental firepower like in HH 1.0. It's re-rolling both hits, and armor pens now, and that wrecked two land-raiders and many, many rhinos in each game, by itself.

Baseline 2.0 opinion so far is:  "If your opponent respects fluff, it's a delightful system."

I have instinctual misgivings still that reactions can be abused, but so far, nothing directly observed to substantiate that. Maybe that's because my IW buddy rolled poorly on two of his three total Return fires and overwatches with said TST? Mayhaps my opinion would be very different if they'd gone better, the turn 3 overwatch rolls alone would've put me out of the game with one reaction if they weren't so atrocious.

ADDENDUM: We also noticed that the dreadclaw has no way for its cargo to assault from it on any turn if they were in it, even the turn after it arrives.  We think it's a rules oversight, but I guess we'll see in the Errata!

Ya tyrants really need some finesse to deal with. Ether pinning shenanigans like the night lords can do, barrage hopes and prayers, or dreads; you don't want them to be shooting your vulnerable vehicles/power armour dudes. I really think the Scorpius is still an mvp in many lists. The rending 4+ and pinning off rocket barrage can help put the fear of blasts back into people. 

On the subject of fun little moments, I used the night lords reaction to fall back, rolling low, but using the consolidate move from the auto rally part to get out of sanguinius' unit and another units charge range. 

1 hour ago, ShadowCore67 said:

Vehicles can only shoot defensive weapons when they return fire, so your Spartan wouldn't have been able to fire it's lascannons lol

Aha! I told him I was pretty damn sure it was pintles only, but got back "It says right here, sponsons too" so I have no idea what he was reading in the book. Thanks for the vote in my corner. :) Feels less bad now, and also feels good that I only killed one tyrant wirh return fire from the lascannons now and not, like, 5 or more.

Probably a byproduct of us keeping conflating arc terminology for LoS of sponsons & pintles when we were saying it out loud. "I mean pintle, the rhino's is pintle, not sponson!"

We did also have to read over overwatch like 10 times to make sure it was at full BS from sheer incredulousness. It'll stick now, and I have my own copy of the book from eBay to reference.

37 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya tyrants really need some finesse to deal with. Ether pinning shenanigans like the night lords can do, barrage hopes and prayers, or dreads; you don't want them to be shooting your vulnerable vehicles/power armour dudes. I really think the Scorpius is still an mvp in many lists. The rending 4+ and pinning off rocket barrage can help put the fear of blasts back into people. 

On the subject of fun little moments, I used the night lords reaction to fall back, rolling low, but using the consolidate move from the auto rally part to get out of sanguinius' unit and another units charge range. 

I tried every turn. The rending 4+ Scorpius killed the most tyrants of any one unit. That S8 is no joke with new rocket barrage, but never pinned.

Firing in hiding  because of fear of krak missile retaliation kept it from being an all star.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Nuncio definitely helps the Scorpius land those big hits.

Pinning is tricky on the tyrant's due to them ignoring the night fight modifier, so it's usually on their flat leadership, and possibly with the pert buff to make it even tougher. If your bud starts rolling well with them you might need some sniper units to really put some pressure on them and outrange the missiles.

58 minutes ago, Irate Khornate said:

I fully expect Falax blades to be nerfed to rending 5 instead of 4.

They're frankly incredible, but heresy has this long history of units with poor sales getting their rules supercharged to move more, like our 1st edition friends the javelin and fire raptor. Rampagers and phalanx warders are looking to be 2nd edition versions, possibly along the other less obvious things like recons and the storm eagle.

And just imagine the uproar of a faq coming in to nerf things after giving enough time for people to make purchases. On a set of rules that had 5 iterations of playtests. After leaving 1st unfaqd for 3 years.

50 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

They're frankly incredible, but heresy has this long history of units with poor sales getting their rules supercharged to move more, like our 1st edition friends the javelin and fire raptor. Rampagers and phalanx warders are looking to be 2nd edition versions, possibly along the other less obvious things like recons and the storm eagle.

And just imagine the uproar of a faq coming in to nerf things after giving enough time for people to make purchases. On a set of rules that had 5 iterations of playtests. After leaving 1st unfaqd for 3 years.

Fair point, though with HH taking what seems to be a main stage now I wouldn't be surprised if they started pulling those antics. 

Now that you mention it I figure that might be why Red Brethren got a bit worse. Sure they were never the best terminators but I could imagine them selling like hot cakes compared to rampagers.