State of the Union (Heresy)

3 hours ago, JeffJedi said:

I want to give a shout out to Mediocre Hobbies youtube channel for some great Horus Heresy painting guides. All 18 legions done and ive tried the technique already myself.

Yeah, I've been looking at their stuff and I'm really impressed. Love their Blood Angels.

speaking of Iron things, from the last Heresy Thursday article

However you want to dispose of your snivelling Loyalist/grotesque Traitor foes, this upgunned Contemptor Dreadnought has just what you’re looking for. Join us again next week for more reveals that’ll really put some iron in your blood.

what will it be?

IWs got our bizarre star torsos again :)

Our group has probably 20+ games of 2.0 at this point. Overall is good, probably a step up from the last edition, but we're finding new balance quirks. Current vote for most busted RoW and unit are contemptors and the FotA ROW.

2 hours ago, Brofist said:

IWs got our bizarre star torsos again :)

Our group has probably 20+ games of 2.0 at this point. Overall is good, probably a step up from the last edition, but we're finding new balance quirks. Current vote for most busted RoW and unit are contemptors and the FotA ROW.

Just had a giant discussion about this on one of the many Facebook groups. 

Fury of the ancients is really strong, as all skew lists tend to be. It also folds to a dedicated counter list, also like all skew lists.

Unless that fury list is built very carefully to have a good answer, then it can get steamrolled by grav speeders and whatever supplemental units fill the listlist. 

Iirc you guys stick to ZM where things might play out a lot different, but just try a full sized game where you proxy as many speeders with grav in as possible. 15 is just shy of 1300 and allowing for scatter, you do about 4 wounds to a dread after it moves out of the difficult per unit of 5 speeders. If it charges or shoots, it dies to reactions. If you high roll the scatter dice, it dies to the volley. 

But ya, all X unit type tends to create unfun games, as knights demonstrate single handedly.

Yeah it's absolutely compounded in ZM where you can't take any grav speeders. With that RoW you might be facing down 4 or more contemptors in a 1000pt matchup which is not particularity fun in that format.

Frankly, doing 4 wounds to a ~200pt dread with ~400 points of speeders isn't really selling it as an effective counter, but you're right- its a skew type list, like the knight list or early mech list in 1.0. People didn't want to play against those and they self regulated. Later mech got nerfed while knights got banned at events and largely remained taboo.

9 hours ago, lansalt said:

Seems like a reference to the re-release of the IW torsos previewed today in WarCom.

That doesn't make sense. "Join us again next week for more reveals" would suggest Thursday with another new thing, and MTO torsos are hardly a reveal or on a Thursday

5 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

That doesn't make sense. "Join us again next week for more reveals" would suggest Thursday with another new thing, and MTO torsos are hardly a reveal or on a Thursday

Given the phrasing, it sounds like the Iron Warriors or Iron Hands mark VI heads and shoulder pads. Given the MTO, I'm suspecting Iron Warriors.

@Brofist yea the wound output per turn doesn't sound like much, and against a traditional list would be ineffecient. But fury lists are a bit different.

Their gameplan is basically move into melee distance/24" for melta/kheres mortis, for the entire army. They all need to move and charge for value, and the grav kinda puts a stop to that. It shortens their move, leaves them near-dead, and any reaction to a shooting attack or charge will kill them. You just space and target closest to furthest and you basically make them walk into your guns. And you have another 1200-1600 points worth of guns on top of that.

I mentioned a Facebook discussion in my other post, and it started with a 3000 point, 13 dread/iron circle list. People were treating it as if it was the end of all balance, with no counterplay. That's obviously false; you can make a 3000 point list that just chows through it all.  People don't seem to realize that if you're going to make these all-in lists, that their counter being spammed to the same degree shuts it down. Maybe I just expect too much from Facebook  and shouldn't; people are posting about how the shooting phase is slowed down in 2nd now that you have to shoot each weapon in its own group and now roll it all at once...

6 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

Is it just me, or do the Loyalists look like they're going to be hilariously outnumbered this edition?

I think about 85% of WIPs I see are from Traitor Legions.

At least they’re picking the right side then! :wink:

I think I’ve mostly seen a mix so far, I often felt Traitor only armies were being sought for tournament balance last edition (purely anecdotal impression).

7 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

Is it just me, or do the Loyalists look like they're going to be hilariously outnumbered this edition?

I think about 85% of WIPs I see are from Traitor Legions.

Thats kindve been the case from the get-go, though.

Its generally been more interesting to explore a Legion pre-corruption or as the corruption was happening vs, say, a Legion that broken up into chapters and stay relatively the same.

1 hour ago, Slips said:

Thats kindve been the case from the get-go, though.

Its generally been more interesting to explore a Legion pre-corruption or as the corruption was happening vs, say, a Legion that broken up into chapters and stay relatively the same.

What slips said. Loyalist Lunas is more fun than proto-black legion to me. :)

Every legion is bonkers when you build around their trait; Fists are just the most obvious, with SoH also being pretty obvious. 

Newcomers are definitely going to understand +1 to hit or -1 STR over say the word bearers many buff angles towards grinding down opponents in melee, or night lords fear bomb, or scars movement and charge manipulation. 

6 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Every legion is bonkers when you build around their trait; Fists are just the most obvious, with SoH also being pretty obvious. 

Newcomers are definitely going to understand +1 to hit or -1 STR over say the word bearers many buff angles towards grinding down opponents in melee, or night lords fear bomb, or scars movement and charge manipulation. 

And, imho, people are sleeping on the Alpha Legions "count as being 2" further away for shooting" because its not immediately obvious on paper how useful it will be in actual play and, similarly, that Exodus is not a unique character meaning you can take multiples of him currently.

Or that Headhunters can have a Relentless, Precision Shot (4+) Multimelta in the squad.

I see a lot of people struggling with IW Tyrants. Please don't make me sad by outranging them with pinning sniper rifles, indirect fire making pin checks from things like  quad launchers, scorpius etc. Pinning stops them from reacting, making them vulnerable to things like dreadnaught bowling, melee vets etc. The intended mechanic is for you to just shoot them normally. :whistling:

15 minutes ago, Slips said:

And, imho, people are sleeping on the Alpha Legions "count as being 2" further away for shooting" because its not immediately obvious on paper how useful it will be in actual play and, similarly, that Exodus is not a unique character meaning you can take multiples of him currently.

Or that Headhunters can have a Relentless, Precision Shot (4+) Multimelta in the squad.

Ya, the range thing is going to come into play when people get a better handle on reactions. And when people start asking for/building for night fight to lock 22" max range. And when they get hit with head hunter leviathal.

Also wanted to mention, very happy with the Liber books. All rules, all business. Exactly what I want in an army book. GW can sell me more premium publications with lore, art etc in them one for each legion. Coffee table style thicc books I would be interested in with alt art dust jackets hardcovers.