State of the Union (Heresy)

16 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

Had my first game today!

2000. Quarters had to be conquered. Gained tons of knowledge. Reactions have had an impact and are a great new element. Dreadnoughts are badass, the Iron Warriors Rite of War Tyrant of Lyssatra sounds great but has too many drawbacks for my taste, Iron Hands and Iron Warriors take a bit of each other's bonuses away, krak grenades are a feasible way to deal with dreadnoughts and vehicles, Night combat is brutal (footsloggers need a vox), everything going faster let you use the whole table a lot better, units with 2 wounds are really strong, the re-balancing of all the weapons is a lot of fun and I feel like I have way too little firepower. Yep, that's about it.

After my first game with night fighting I'm pretty much always bringing searchlights/augury scanners, it really can neuter your whole first (and maybe second) turn of shooting. I can also confirm that dreadnoughts are absolute monsters. They're fast, can shoot just fine and hit like a truck in melee, but most importantly require a stupid amount of firepower to bring down. 

On reactions I really like them at 2.5k-3k points, they're still valuable but won't completely alter the game as much as they do at smaller point levels. They're really just a better stratagem system imo.

Have you found leadership to be more of an issue in 2.0? I feel like I've been struggling more with managing morale, which tbh I like (especially when I'm playing my NL).

We played another 2.0 game last week. Leadership is a big deal as is pinning. At one point I think every single infantry unit in our game was pinned.

Let's talk deepstrike. One of the biggest beefs I now have with this new rule set (which in general I like) is that conga line out of deepstrike. This basically breaks deepstrike as large units can simply snake their way into assault range even if you mishapped. In our game, I scattered off the table, my opponent placed the marker the max distance away, and I still snaked my terminator squad within charge range of the target. Plus I forced some checks on other units for good measure. We really need to go back to the clustered deployment out of deepstrike.

4 minutes ago, Brofist said:

We played another 2.0 game last week. Leadership is a big deal as is pinning. At one point I think every single infantry unit in our game was pinned.

Let's talk deepstrike. One of the biggest beefs I now have with this new rule set (which in general I like) is that conga line out of deepstrike. This basically breaks deepstrike as large units can simply snake their way into assault range even if you mishapped. In our game, I scattered off the table, my opponent placed the marker the max distance away, and I still snaked my terminator squad within charge range of the target. Plus I forced some checks on other units for good measure. We really need to go back to the clustered deployment out of deepstrike.

I feel like you might have made a mistake there because, iirc, deepstrikes can only drop within 24" of the first unit deployed for the Deepstrike.

But I'd have to doublecheck my books.

45 minutes ago, Slips said:

I feel like you might have made a mistake there because, iirc, deepstrikes can only drop within 24" of the first unit deployed for the Deepstrike.

But I'd have to doublecheck my books.

I think we did it right, as I only deepstruk a single unit

I've just been reading some more of the book.

I can have Tartaros Terminators in a Recon Company as they're not heavy. That's interesting as my Praetor was going to be in Tartaros so I was looking at making him either an underling for when Recon Elements were out in force or him to grab some different kit but don't need to now.

4 hours ago, Brofist said:

I think we did it right, as I only deepstruk a single unit

Ah, I see, theres no longer a requirement to place all models in b2b under a large blast footprint or whatever the old rule was.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:01 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

The Arquitor and Sabre strike tank really need to come in plastic. The price on those is so crazy I can't imagine too many people actually bought one.

I have two... :whistling:

4 minutes ago, Brofist said:

Yeah, that's the kicker right there. If it was still like that it would be way less gamey

It DOES open you up to having a unit collapse from an interceptor reaction (from units with reliable precision shots) if you conga line them too hard. But if thats not a concern, then, yeah, it does do a lot to mitigate being yeeted across the table on a deepstrike.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, Altis said:

So how are you adjusting your army for the next game? 

So far I shy away from the 2ed specific stuff like Grav Maces (I play Iron Warriors) or Nemesis Bolters. But I am in the process of painting a 5 men squad of shotgun wielding Recons, a HSS with lascannons and a ten men TSS with volkite calivers. All three units collected dust for years now and the new edition is my motivation to finally paint them. 

On 7/11/2022 at 12:04 AM, Orange Knight said:

Very interesting.

Can you do a brief summary of the lists used? Did any units or weapons stick out as strong/weak etc?

I give you that:

20220710_131057.thumb.jpg.11b36b9eb9728a4f2439e5ae2cca5a00.jpg

Two dreads, siege breaker, tyrants, librarian tacticals, assault squad, HSS with culverines and a Castaferrum with Gravis Autocannons. 

Contemptors are to no surprise a very good unit. 

I think everything did quite well. The exception was my librarian because for some stupid reasons I thought he could join the assault squad although he doesn't have a jump pack himself so I gabe him Biomancy. That lore isn't good if you don't want to push for cc so he basically didn't do anything useful. He did punched one wound off from the Leviathan though with the second Biomancy S10 power. 

In last turn he suffered from perils and killed three of his own men which ultimately lead to a failed leadership test and they ran. Because of that I lost the game. Bad luck.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, Runefyre said:

After my first game with night fighting I'm pretty much always bringing searchlights/augury scanners, it really can neuter your whole first (and maybe second) turn of shooting.

Exactly.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, Runefyre said:

Have you found leadership to be more of an issue in 2.0? I feel like I've been struggling more with managing morale, which tbh I like (especially when I'm playing my NL).

I play IW for years now and naturally I am not used to units falling back from fire. ;)

So yeah morale is huge now. In nightfight regular troops only have leadership 7 which is very easy to fail. My assault squad fled turn one because if that and didn't regroup turn two because nightfight was still on and I rolled an 8 on the test. Vox is an absolute must in my eyes if the unit can have one. 

On 7/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, Brofist said:

Yes I feared this will be a thing the moment I read the new rules. 

23 hours ago, jaxom said:

Upcoming White Dwarf has the first article in a Siege of Barbarus mini-series. Seems like it's going to be lore about the event and then a campaign series with the involved players doing 'historical' recreation.

Oh, interesting. 

It costs 10€ now which is infuriating. Everyone told me how WD now is better than in the past but I couldn't see it that way. Boring commercial magazine and nothing more. Doesn't help that I am not interested in any other game GW makes. 

I was flicking through the allies chart, and the only sworn brothers for my World Eaters is Iron Warriors. Which gave me a thought; WE need pinning, but hanging around the back with nemesis bolters sniping things seems fairly non World Eater-y behaviour. While a tac squad of IW with shrapnel bolters, and more importantly a squad of siege tyrants with their frag missiles seems like it might be more fluffy AND effective. (plus I like the models!) But I've heard siege tyrants are possibly too good, so would it be too cheesy, and I should just stick to say, a rotor cannon squad and take my chances?

Edited by Arkhanist

3 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

So far I shy away from the 2ed specific stuff like Grav Maces (I play Iron Warriors) or Nemesis Bolters. But I am in the process of painting a 5 men squad of shotgun wielding Recons, a HSS with lascannons and a ten men TSS with volkite calivers. All three units collected dust for years now and the new edition is my motivation to finally paint them. 

I give you that:

20220710_131057.thumb.jpg.11b36b9eb9728a4f2439e5ae2cca5a00.jpg

Two dreads, siege breaker, tyrants, librarian tacticals, assault squad, HSS with culverines and a Castaferrum with Gravis Autocannons. 

Contemptors are to no surprise a very good unit. 

I think everything did quite well. The exception was my librarian because for some stupid reasons I thought he could join the assault squad although he doesn't have a jump pack himself so I gabe him Biomancy. That lore isn't good if you don't want to push for cc so he basically didn't do anything useful. He did punched one wound off from the Leviathan though with the second Biomancy S10 power. 

In last turn he suffered from perils and killed three of his own men which ultimately lead to a failed leadership test and they ran. Because of that I lost the game. Bad luck.

Exactly.

I play IW for years now and naturally I am not used to units falling back from fire. ;)

So yeah morale is huge now. In nightfight regular troops only have leadership 7 which is very easy to fail. My assault squad fled turn one because if that and didn't regroup turn two because nightfight was still on and I rolled an 8 on the test. Vox is an absolute must in my eyes if the unit can have one. 

Yes I feared this will be a thing the moment I read the new rules. 

Oh, interesting. 

It costs 10€ now which is infuriating. Everyone told me how WD now is better than in the past but I couldn't see it that way. Boring commercial magazine and nothing more. Doesn't help that I am not interested in any other game GW makes. 

Do you like recons with shotguns then? I thought shotguns looked a bit rubbish, but I've got some and thought they'd go with mk6 armour quite well. 

1 hour ago, Arkhanist said:

I was flicking through the allies chart, and the only sworn brothers for my World Eaters is Iron Warriors. Which gave me a thought; WE need pinning, but hanging around the back with nemesis bolters sniping things seems fairly non World Eater-y behaviour. While a tac squad of IW with shrapnel bolters, and more importantly a squad of siege tyrants with their frag missiles seems like it might be more fluffy AND effective. (plus I like the models!) But I've heard siege tyrants are possibly too good, so would it be too cheesy, and I should just stick to say, a rotor cannon squad and take my chances?

I'm also tempted by an allied WE force, couple of despoiler squads in white and blue would be good fun, and those new shades look like painting white should be easy

Managed to give the WD a read on my lunch break at work, seems to be a fair bit of new info about the Lion going round stomping on any traitor garrisoned world and not just their home worlds.

Slips, am I allowed to post some pictures of the pages or would it just have to be excerpts?

5 minutes ago, No Foes Remain said:

Managed to give the WD a read on my lunch break at work, seems to be a fair bit of new info about the Lion going round stomping on any traitor garrisoned world and not just their home worlds.

Slips, am I allowed to post some pictures of the pages or would it just have to be excerpts?

Try to keep it pretty limited to the exact stuff you want to show off so people still have a reason to go out and buy it themselves if what they see interests them enough.

Well there is 26 short segements about various battles that were fought before the Siege of Barbarus, all bar two (start of the Solar War and the battle of Yarant) are new and have a few interesting tibits.

I'll get some pictures of the more interesting ones tomorrow when there is better light and my camera doesn't render the pictures into a blue (more light doesn't help due to shiney pages).

I grabbed pictures of the ones I deemed more interesting, there are a few others that are mainly setting the stage for other forces to be there (SoH arriving at Barbarus to figure out where the hell the rest of the Legion is, and Iron Warriors escaping from Tallarn). And at the Siege of Barbarus it's three loyalist players (RG, DA, SW) vs three traitor players (DG, IW, SoH) and though they seem to have the indication it's going to be a thematic battle... this is WD and showing off new stuff will be their aim most likely.

More than happy to expand and give a brief on the other sections if people want.

Spoiler

IMG_20220714_100119.jpg

IMG_20220714_100135.jpg

IMG_20220714_100156.jpg

IMG_20220714_100214.jpg

IMG_20220714_100228.jpg

Edited by No Foes Remain
Put pictures in spoiler

37 minutes ago, No Foes Remain said:

I grabbed pictures of the ones I deemed more interesting, there are a few others that are mainly setting the stage for other forces to be there (SoH arriving at Barbarus to figure out where the hell the rest of the Legion is, and Iron Warriors escaping from Tallarn). And at the Siege of Barbarus it's three loyalist players (RG, DA, SW) vs three traitor players (DG, IW, SoH) and though they seem to have the indication it's going to be a thematic battle... this is WD and showing off new stuff will be their aim most likely.

More than happy to expand and give a brief on the other sections if people want.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20220714_100119.jpg

IMG_20220714_100135.jpg

IMG_20220714_100156.jpg

IMG_20220714_100214.jpg

IMG_20220714_100228.jpg

I, a people, want.

So, who has submitted questions to the FAQ email then?

I've asked about:

•Dreadclaw and Assault Vehicle, oversight or intentional?

•Whether they'd be kind enough to allow infiltrators (even if they limit it) in a Drop Pod Assault list, I want fluffy Recon Squads.

•Deathstorm Drop Pods currently not being usable in Drop Pod Assault List

•Legion Special Weapons, specifically opening them up to all Characters in a force, not just Independent Characters for some Legions. I do have a feeling this was balance

•Whether paired Frost Claws should offer the +2 attacks like Lightning Claws.

•I also cheekily asked if there was a way a Moritat could make a single attack with a weapon that doesn't roll to hit whilst using Chain Fire. Because mine is getting a Hand Flamer even if I can't use it haha.

I've realised I missed about asking units HAVING to disembark from Kharbydis and Dreadclaws when using the Drop Pod Assault Rite of War.

48 minutes ago, Hfran Morkai said:

•Whether they'd be kind enough to allow infiltrators (even if they limit it) in a Drop Pod Assault list, I want fluffy Recon Squads.

•Deathstorm Drop Pods currently not being usable in Drop Pod Assault List

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don;t think either of these things are prevented by using the Drop Pod Assault RIte of War?

54 minutes ago, Hfran Morkai said:

•I also cheekily asked if there was a way a Moritat could make a single attack with a weapon that doesn't roll to hit whilst using Chain Fire. Because mine is getting a Hand Flamer even if I can't use it haha.

Pistol weapons rules say you can attack with both in a shooting phase, and Chainfire rules say you can make an attack with one or both of your weapons. I don;t see a problem with chainfiring with Pistol A and shooting normally with Pistol B

10 minutes ago, Stitch5000 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don;t think either of these things are prevented by using the Drop Pod Assault RIte of War?

Infiltrate and Area Denial Drop are different deployment types aren't they?

Anything that doesn't come in a Drop Pod, Dreadnought Drop Pod, Dreadclaw or Kharbydis comes on as reserves and may not partake in any alternative deployments (such as Deep Strike Assaults or Flanking Assaults).