Ork Updates & New Models - 9th Edition Discussion

Triszin

So I am wondering what you all are speculating will be the next set of point changes for boys in the next codex 
I'm considering a lot of different units and notice that Nobz were 17ppm before the next round of points changes and haven't seen any points adjustments mentioned for the Orks. Not that I have really looked very hard but have seen nothing in the usual forms.  

Trying to brainstom a next list that I hope will take very little points adjustments, and am wondering about Nobz. I never use them as a Nobz mob. I'm thinking about giving them another try again. 

So based on the stat lines we've seen what do you imagine the points costs for boys and Snagga boys will look like and do you imagine Nobz points will go up? 

I expect Boyz to get a nominal increase, be at 9 points (no more than 10). Nobz will probably be the same, 18 or 19.

Beast Snagga Boys are more iffy and part of that is we don't know their unit sizes. Orks thrive off large model counts, and it's actually worthwhile to pay more ppm if you can also take larger units. If they can go up to 30, I'd be ok with up to 14 or maybe even 15 points a model. On the reverse, if they can only go to 10, I wouldn't take them for anything more than like 10 points per model.

My expectation is they will be either 5-or-10 min to a max of 20*, and I'd guess about 12 or 13 points.

All other units are even harder to guess. Warbikers, Burnas, and Lootas are already overpriced, so do they get a net decrease because GW realizes they are bad, or do they get a big increase because GW overvalues their wargear again? Meanwhile, Tankbustas are really reliant on the clan and stratagem support, so they could catch an increase or decrease either way based on what else the book has. Very hard to guess.

*=The boxset has 20 Beast Snagga boys, I think, so that's my reasoning.

So, uh, looks like there's new Boyz incoming, too?

Those are boys, I'll bet my reputation on it. They don't look anything like the Beast Snaggas we've seen, and those are 100% updates on the old shootas from the current Boyz kit.

I've long been apprehensive of this day, but I'm feeling pretty excited. They'll most likely be the mono-pose/build of modern, "dynamic" miniatures, but what I care most about is how well they'll look mixed in with old boys. More variety and sizes will really lean into how irregular Orks are.

I can't see there being no customisability at all for one reason alone. We have shoota boys and choppy boys, a boys box has to make at least both of those which means at least hands or arm swaps being a thing. Well that's my thinking and hope at least

Oh, certainly. Different heads, too.

My concern is the bodies, and paired arms for shootas. The way primaris and sisters of battle work is that you cannot swap torsos and legs; they only fit together in one configuration. Swapping a set of legs and torso means more cutting, gap-filling and resculpting than the older style. It also means small pose changes are much more difficult to achieve. Want to lean a boy forward? You just glue the torso on differently now, but if the kits of the last 5 years tell us anything, it's that you will have to do a lot more work to achieve that.

The result is a bunch of models that do look alike, even if the exact arms and head positioning is different. Unfortunately, that's the way GW has gone, so I won't lament it too much; the ship has sailed.

Oh, and the thing about paired arms: we no longer get long guns and a supporting arm with an open hand. That hand is now modeled onto the weapon, severely reducing kitbashing options without resorting to filing down and resculpting that part of the gun. It's an annoyance that I don't think was worth the trade off.

Edited by toaae

Exactly that.

I've personally found with new GW kits that I HAVE to follow the instructions exactly or I ruin a model. I am not looking forward to complicated assembly where the torso is more than say 2 parts. I get it, GW wants player to use GW models or risk ruining a premium product. I feel really sad for all the new Ork player who will jump in only to send at least 60 usd per box of 10 models and find then need no less than 90 to 150 boys.  As such I hope Boys are costed in such a way, with the rest of the codex, to allow for an army to play reasonably well with a minimum of 20 boys in the list. Seriously. 

As I posted in the News and rumors thread, I hope these models are actually a new Ork troop unit, like Bigun's from the old Orc wfb armies. Like an alt take on Snagga boys. 
Or I hope these are not boys but Kommandos with access to shootas, which they lost some time ago. There are a bunch of unknown, unknowns here still. 
This could be part of a Kommando/Tankbusta kit. It is an opportunity for not only new models but new data entries for both units. Maybe they are bigger than boys, could be. 

My real issue is the same as a lot of other Ork players when it comes to these models. Just look at the flash gitz and see how little else we can do with the parts aside from stick them on Nobz and bosses. Or how then have to be clipped at the neck to take a different head. same, same. 

I am trying to find a positive to hope for with this new kit, I don't know yet I might like it. we'll see when we get a proppa look at it. 

Imagine if we just bought boys as a unit and they cam with a choppa, slugga and shoota! That would be fantastic. especially as we suspect they will go up in points. I say, "Give us more stuff so we feel less bad about it!"  

I just hope that it's not a copy of Heavy Intercessors...

You get a "Box of 5" New ork Boyz for $98.00 Aus cause "They're a Bespoke model that's bigger and tougher than anything else we've ever made and has over 30 different heads(that only slot into these models) 

Mithril

I just hope that it's not a copy of Heavy Intercessors...

You get a "Box of 5" New ork Boyz for $98.00 Aus cause "They're a Bespoke model that's bigger and tougher than anything else we've ever made and has over 30 different heads(that only slot into these models) 

Mithril

I had not thought of that. Fat Ork boys, boys stats but +1 wound and only shootas. :teehee:

The more I look at it the more I'm sure they are just normal boys and the bare backed one is throwing the scale off. A unified aesthetic for orks in a new chunky scale would look amazing, though I feel for the people with bigger hordes I really do. Glad I sold mine off a few years ago and have only got a few boyz.

The more I look at it the more I'm sure they are just normal boys and the bare backed one is throwing the scale off. A unified aesthetic for orks in a new chunky scale would look amazing, though I feel for the people with bigger hordes I really do. Glad I sold mine off a few years ago and have only got a few boyz.

Take a look at the shootas on these two:

sml_gallery_14776_14675_79475.png

They are both left handed. The boys kit only comes with one left handed gun, and it's neither one of those:

gallery_14776_14675_25493.png

In fact, neither of those guns are exact matches to shootas in the current kit. The gun on the left boy has a similar drum magazine to the left-handed shoota, but a different action and barrel. The boy on the right's gun has the straight magazine of the first right handed shoota, but a round barrel without the side exhausts.

Whatever they are, they are not current boys.

Take a look at the shootas on these two:

sml_gallery_14776_14675_79475.png

They are both left handed. The boys kit only comes with one left handed gun, and it's neither one of those:

gallery_14776_14675_25493.png

In fact, neither of those guns are exact matches to shootas in the current kit. The gun on the left boy has a similar drum magazine to the left-handed shoota, but a different action and barrel. The boy on the right's gun has the straight magazine of the first right handed shoota, but a round barrel without the side exhausts.

Whatever they are, they are not current boys.

Sorry I meant they are just new boyz rather than new nobz/ardboyz etc. I've built enough boys to know those aren't in the current range

Yes! We got another post detailing what seems to be a named Snakebites character. No model shown, but we did get this artwork:

m9fIjgpcrWU53U0f.jpg

But we also got a picture of one of the new boys, confirming that the kit is finally being updated:

aT8M4AARdQ1fwkBh.jpg

Lastly, we have a target month for the Beast Snaggas box. Keep in mind that it'll include the codex in advance of a general release:

You won’t have to wait long either – the Army Box is set for pre-order in July, so mark your calendars and get your Waaagh! banners raised high.
Edited by toaae

Lastly, we have a target month for the Beast Snaggas box. Keep in mind that it'll include the codex in advance of a general release:

I thought it was coming with a stand alone Snagga supplement not the Codex. 

Never mind. it says right on the spine of the book Codex Orks. I had to go find the article and look. I missed it the first time around. 

Looks like I'm buying an army box for a book. 

Edited by Warhead01

Yeah typical GW ... get that FOMO going with a whole New "Limited Box" of shiny new models that has the only way of getting the new Codex months early.... "great business model"...:censored:  words come to mind that can't be said on a family friendly board ... if the dex came out like 2 weeks later i'd be fine, but i'm guessing it won't :dry.:

Mithril