LameBeard and son start Adeptus Titanicus

LameBeard

I have not yet found any stag decals for a sensible price, so keep your expectations low! I am just aiming for small white decal on the black side, small back decal in the white side, and maybe something on the white/green shin. I think it will tie things together if I can get a single black decal going over both white and green but not sure I planned that well enough. Edited by LameBeard

Too late on setting expectations. The Warhound is already looking good!

...and you're right. I tried to help out with the stag transfer issue, and was stymied.

If you have an image you like, I'd be happy to turn it into a vector graphic, and you can print your own (or have them printed for you).

Thank you for this kind offer! I will keep me eye out. For now the decals have gone on either side of the torso and a little one on the yellow shield. I didn’t have anything which would work on the leg but it already looks quite busy.

med_gallery_93054_17005_57011.jpegmed_gallery_93054_17005_15609.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard

So I'm a bit further along than I thought, but not quite there. I added the filth. I tried to copy @Vykes on this forum with the 'water based oil paint' weathering, but I'm not sure I fully remembered his tutorial, I will try to look it up again. I like it how it's turned out, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort compared with just a wash with Devlan Mud or whatever I have.

med_gallery_93054_17005_39818.jpeg

Just eyes and weapons glow to go! Oh, and a little bit of battle damage and dust on the feet. And sticking to base. And maybe a slightly more matt varnish? But no more tonight, have to let that oil dry. Grotsmasha might keep the doors open for completions a little while!

Edited by LameBeard

The biggest thing with oil weathering is that it's about experimentation. You can dilute them as much as you want, so finding that amount where it flows properly for you and gives enough of a tint takes some time. I'll mention that you tend to want it to line everything and not just next to the trim.

Thanks. I am pleased with the overall scheme and the contrast with the base.

I'm less happy with the plasma glow - didn't come out so well as the smaller plasma weapons on my marines, and not sure the blue is adding anything. Maybe it should have been yellow/orange or left metal? I won't change it now because I need to focus on the next engine, but since I haven't finished the other weapons I might undo my decision to go blue on the laser barrels (WIP shot below).

med_gallery_93054_17005_125297.jpeg

And one more problem with the Warhound. It's sticky!

I assume this is the oil? This is a problem because it is now a dust-magnet. I guess I need to varnish it again? Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the tips. Now I have to think about whether I still want to give that Reaver the new plasma, and if so, what colour. Thank goodness for magnets. In the meantime, the promised progress from my son on his Warlord. He picked up speed again.

med_gallery_93054_17005_230460.jpeg

Concerning oils - yes they take quite along time to dry, depending on the mix of paint, medium, and white spirit.

Though it pains me to wait that long, 24 hours after finishing your "oil layer" is a good idea before sealing and moving on with your next step.

• 2 weeks later...

An update of sorts. I looked again at my Warhound and it had collected fluff. This upset me. I washed it as best I could and varnished again. I put a bit more matt in the mix but it seems to have come out shinier if anything. It is still sticky, although other models I varnished don’t seem affected. So maybe this is some oil/varnish reaction that has gone badly. I’m annoyed because it’ll get fluffier (and I don’t mean “better reflect the lore”) and gives me another tough choice on the Reaver (ie do I weather it in the same way or not?)

In more positive news, I made a base for the Reaver and my son is nearly finished on the Warlord. Maybe we can finish at the weekend although rain is on the way and we want the airbrush for a couple of jobs ...

Well I wouldn’t do the same thing to your reaver till the warhound isn’t sticky. If something has gone wrong you don’t want to repeat it. I’d also never apply a layer of anything till the previous layer was completely dry, to avoid weird chemical reactions.

Best thing with the warhound is to put it in a non-dusty box and wait a few days. Hopefully it’ll dry.

Personally I don’t use oils. GW’s washes are very good so I don’t think it’s worth the extra hassle. I know some people swear by them, but I found myself swearing at them instead. I’m also not sure what water-based oils are - I thought it was one or the other.

I’m also not sure what water-based oils are - I thought it was one or the other.

That’s what I thought too - sounded like a total oxymoron.

med_gallery_93054_17005_57557.jpeg

We played another test game last night, this time with orders (Warhound sticky and shiny as ever!). I like the tough choices element, and reacting to your opponent’s choices. In the end I failed most command checks anyway, but in principle ...

Edited by LameBeard

I think technically they're water soluble rather than water based. As I understand it, they're still oil paints but an emulsifier of some kind is added so that they mix with water.

I use them and I do think they're good. They get a bit of a different effect than acrylic washes from GW or whoever, and I find it's easier to get even coverage. They're also better for streaking effects I find. You can apply a blob of paint at the top of a panel or wherever and then use water to draw it downwards. And they take longer to dry so they are more forgiving too.

That said, they're far from necessary, and I don't think they replace washes, they're best for slightly different things.

... They're also better for streaking effects I find. You can apply a blob of paint at the top of a panel or wherever and then use water to draw it downwards.

Yes this is what I tried - ie aiming for an uneven effect to look like dirt and grime.

med_gallery_93054_17005_18789.jpeg

So a little bit of progress on all fronts.

• I started the Reaver - see above. I know you all warned me about dry-fitting with the plates, but I thought I could risk glueing the knees and leaving the flexibility at the ankle for now. The foot is not glued - the other foot is actually glued to the base.
  • My wife sprayed the Warhound with her 'Mattecoat' and that seems to have got rid of the stickiness.
  • My son is down to the last few plates and basing on the Warlord, so nearly there.

And since he's nearly ready for the next thing, he wanted Cerastus Knights, and I wanted the other Reaver weapons, and we both wanted the accessories ... so I bought the Starter Set. Again, I'll probably sell some excess, but it's a really good value set. Probably good thing for my wallet Grand Master edition is so hard to get now.