A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Ok, test Termagant are done, sans basing (as previously mentioned) as I will do that once the army is done. I did give the base a quick bad go over in caliban green, more to see how the various test schemes look with a non white base.

First a test of the light half of the colour scheme.

From left to right, Agrax, Seraphim Sepia, Skeleton Horde Contrast and Aggaros Dunes contrast.

gallery_29932_13875_76901.jpg

And now the finished test. Wyldwood contrast for the dark wood, followed by a drybrush of Zandry Dust. Then foliage in caliban and warpstone glow, though I may switch this up to a contrast green or other greens, they were just first to hand.

I did try a autumn leaf effect but did not like it and reprimand over it, might try again on some of the newer models later.

Lastly eyes, mouths and energy bits on weapons where silvered followed by Magos Purple Contrast. The two critters where also silvered, with Black Templar Contrast for carapace, and then various contrast for other details.

gallery_29932_13875_43053.jpg

And a Close up and side view.

gallery_29932_13875_59169.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_1280561.jpg

Coffee and paint pots for breakfast:thumbsup:

Ready for a big day of painting. Yesterday's work was slow due to high humidity. Applied four dry brush layers of White Scar to a thin base of Corax White, and very pleased with the results. I was worried about getting a nice bright white as a base for my colors, but it turned out nicely. I painted a few details last night before my eyes went out of focus. My eyes won't last more than two hours before they need a rest...... don't know what's up with that.... age?:happy.: ......... Naaahh:no: ........:yes:

Today..... color..... detail..... base...... DONE:woot:

Vow complete - one hypermorph ready to batter things to death.

It has occurred to me, rather late in the day, that in my original vow I said I was painting an Abominant, and gave the relevant power level, despite the fact that the photo I included (and the model I painted) is really a hypermorph. Not a million miles off, but not the same thing.

So if these things matter, feel free to adjust the PL accordingly. Or we could just call him a counts-as abominant, if that's easier.

Ok, test Termagant are done, sans basing (as previously mentioned) as I will do that once the army is done. I did give the base a quick bad go over in caliban green, more to see how the various test schemes look with a non white base.

First a test of the light half of the colour scheme.

From left to right, Agrax, Seraphim Sepia, Skeleton Horde Contrast and Aggaros Dunes contrast.

gallery_29932_13875_76901.jpg

And now the finished test. Wyldwood contrast for the dark wood, followed by a drybrush of Zandry Dust. Then foliage in caliban and warpstone glow, though I may switch this up to a contrast green or other greens, they were just first to hand.

I did try a autumn leaf effect but did not like it and reprimand over it, might try again on some of the newer models later.

Lastly eyes, mouths and energy bits on weapons where silvered followed by Magos Purple Contrast. The two critters where also silvered, with Black Templar Contrast for carapace, and then various contrast for other details.

gallery_29932_13875_43053.jpg

And a Close up and side view.

gallery_29932_13875_59169.jpg

They look great - are you happy with how they came out, after the concern, or is there anything you want to tweak?

Here we go, base completed,

gallery_48988_16869_102015.jpg

I don't have the Codex, so I have no idea for PL? If someone could help me out...

I think I'll keep going with these over the Challenge, see if I can get them all done

Normally not a fan of too-purple heads on GSC, but this works. Love the base too - is that just astrogranite?

June vow completed:woot:

med_gallery_49400_16060_1078051.jpg

Broodlord Larry gathers his forces:eek:

More pics

Hidden Content

med_gallery_49400_16060_354359.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_135806.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_478277.jpg

He came together well, and the scheme looks otherworldly, like some kind of fish?

Great progress!

----------------

Updated to here.

They look great - are you happy with how they came out, after the concern, or is there anything you want to tweak?

I’d settle for content, they are not quite how I wanted them to come out, but for cannon fodder it will do. I also now have a better idea of what I can do with the contrast for wood effect, and hopefully on the newer models it will work better.

So for July I am raising the stakes perilously high, time wise, and do four warriors (three with Devourers and one with a Venom Cannon) and five Genestealers.

gallery_29932_13875_57100.jpg

Here we go, base completed,

gallery_48988_16869_102015.jpg

I don't have the Codex, so I have no idea for PL? If someone could help me out...

I think I'll keep going with these over the Challenge, see if I can get them all done

Normally not a fan of too-purple heads on GSC, but this works. Love the base too - is that just astrogranite?

Me either on the purple, I used genestealer purple and watered heavily and applied a couple of coats, then added a small amount of it to white for highlights. The base is Astrogranite washed twice with Nuln Oil

June vow completed:woot:

med_gallery_49400_16060_1078051.jpg

Broodlord Larry gathers his forces:eek:

More pics

Hidden Content

med_gallery_49400_16060_354359.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_135806.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_478277.jpg

He came together well, and the scheme looks otherworldly, like some kind of fish?

He does have that Creature From the Black Lagoon look, doesn't he? That was unconscious on my part. I was definitely going for the Zorak color scheme and ended up with a cross between Zorak and this guy from the old Jonny Quest series:

gallery_49400_16059_1227.jpgsml_gallery_49400_16059_599704.png

You can definitely see the time period where my inspiration comes from:yes:

As I've finally got all my stuff together and the whole month of July to procrastinate work on this, my vow will have two small squads (eight each) of Genestealers. Official vow coming soon. My biggest worry for this whole challenge is running out of primer. I got this last can of primer (Grey Seer) in all of Colorado Springs and there doesn't seem to be any shipments coming soon. Fortunately, a little goes a long way, and my can is still full.

This whole Tyranid challenge has been a lot of fun.... lots of awesome stuff from everyone.

Great work on this challenge Brother Zen:thumbsup:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

:Elite: As I started this a week into June, You have until Next Sunday 4th July to complete June's vows. You then have until Sunday 1st August to Complete, and new Vows from 2nd August.:Elite:

:Elite:If you've already completed your vow, then you can make your July Vows from 1st July, and have until Sunday 2nd August to post finished photos.:Elite:

Completed! And not a moment too soon as I go on vacation Monday...

gallery_58096_13272_405758.jpg

3 Biovores to reinforce my army and harass my Custodes opponent.

Edited by Xenith

Since I'm well into the 2nd July, I'm going to complete another GSC model from Overkill, a grenade launcher this time :thumbsup:

I, Grotsmaha, pledge to paint 1x GSC w/Grenade Launcher to the value of ? PL in the month of July 2021

Somehow assumed I'd already added you to the list, when I hadn't - now we're actually updated.

If I've forgotten to add anyones pledge to the front page in all the excitement, let me know! 

I've also added some kind of running total of rough power level vowed to the vow post to keep track of how we're doing - with 3 zoans, Judd is out in front with 14 PL!

Edited by Xenith

Wish I had done 14PL, but I have to be honest, I only painted 3 Zoanthropes this month. So I’m only at 7.

Sorry for the confusion.

This month (July) I will finish a brood of Hive Guard! For 6PL

51284577752_d56411a847_c.jpgHive Guard

Have a great holiday Xenith and good luck everyone else with your vows, some really cool stuff taking shape!

Really digging this event, ya'll. These completions are looking great. 

Vow #2 for me! In order to help sate the unending hunger of the hivemind, I pledge to complete two squads of 10 termagants, and a unit of spore mines, for a grand total of 7 PL before the end of the month. 

O9g9XCF.jpg?1

They are very cool. Lots of character and variety, but still consistent. I like them a lot.

In July, I'm aiming to paint three acolytes - they're finishing off a brood of ten.

acolytes

Power-level-wise, that's something like 1.8 power, to add to the 1.4 power of the hypermorph from last month. Alternatively, for these part units, it might be easier to declare the power of the unit they're completing - in which case, the hypermorph finished off a 7PL unit, and the acolytes will complete a 6PL unit. Take it as you will.

I'm not 100% sure I will be able to finish June's vow by tomorrow, but I might try- I have an outing for today, so it's going to be a challenge, but it is possible.

If I don't finish it, I'll repledge him for July, and we'll make darned sure he gets done...

But I'm not throwing in the towel yet.

Finished!! Had a lot of fun with these

Good workm they look great I actually just noticed that you forgot to actually vow them and show an unoainted picture, but as it slipped past me and this is the first month, we can let it go - just remember to post a pic of unpainted models going forwards :happy.:

I'm not 100% sure I will be able to finish June's vow by tomorrow, but I might try- I have an outing for today, so it's going to be a challenge, but it is possible.

If I don't finish it, I'll repledge him for July, and we'll make darned sure he gets done...

But I'm not throwing in the towel yet.

Do what you can, and definitely revow!

Cutting it a bit close, but I've just finished all of mine.

VsCciIf.jpg

Fine indeed, these are looking great though, awesome work!

------------------------

Vow post updated, let me know if I missed anything!

Edited by Xenith

Finished!! Had a lot of fun with these

Good workm they look great I actually just noticed that you forgot to actually vow them and show an unoainted picture, but as it slipped past me and this is the first month, we can let it go - just remember to post a pic of unpainted models going forwards :happy.:

Yes I did :yes: See below.

I Ruskinses do pledge to paint these loyal Brood Brothers and sisters and maybe a brave Kelermorph also.

PXL 20210626 144523440

Well, I didn't finish them in June's window but went ahead and got them done yesterday, so I guess this counts as a re-vow for July?

gallery_84244_15233_197282.jpg

I'm pleased that I actually found time to paint them at all given they've been sat in a drawer for about 8 years. To keep chipping away at it, I'm going to vow another model too; a Carnifex for a total of 6 PL

gallery_84244_15233_73483.jpg