A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Nice works everyone:thumbsup: There's some great talent here and lots of fantastic looking bugs.

WarriorFish, thanks for the advise, but I've tried the salt line:yes: and nothing seems to work. These bugs are dogged and insatiable. They are especially drawn to.....

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Not going to make it:cry: I was making good progress and then my relic work lamp shorted out..... These old eyes need a good light source, so I rushed out to buy a new lamp. The new lamp got a wee bit wet walking to the car in a heavy rain storm. Even double wrapped in plastic a little water got in. So, I'm packing it in tonight while the lamp dries out. I'll start again early tomorrow. As I've got twenty little model, I'm assembly line painting them. Consequently, none of them are ready:sad.: They'll be finished and posted in a few days.

Since I'm well into the 2nd July, I'm going to complete another GSC model from Overkill, a grenade launcher this time :thumbsup:

I, Grotsmaha, pledge to paint 1x GSC w/Grenade Launcher to the value of ? PL in the month of July 2021

gallery_48988_16869_124510.jpg

So I may not have even started his guy yet......hoping to sneak him in tonight once the boy-o goes to bed

And not a moment too soon! The Consuming Wraith is complete. That was close, I'll go through and check off completions tomorrow morning, get them done!

And my Psyrant (Psychic Hive Tyrant) dubbed "The Consuming Wraith" using the Blood of Baal name generator is complete. I'm super proud of this one, and it's probably my biggest tyranid conversion, and best paint job on them, so far.

gallery_58096_13272_245583.jpg

More pics in my Tyranids Blog, Jabberwocky Rises.

Edited by Xenith

Since I'm well into the 2nd July, I'm going to complete another GSC model from Overkill, a grenade launcher this time :thumbsup:

I, Grotsmaha, pledge to paint 1x GSC w/Grenade Launcher to the value of ? PL in the month of July 2021

gallery_48988_16869_124510.jpg

So I may not have even started his guy yet......hoping to sneak him in tonight once the boy-o goes to bed

...and done, a little more purple for this one as he's futher down the path,

gallery_48988_16869_186490.jpg

gallery_48988_16869_221852.jpg

More Trees are done, beginning to get into a pattern that seems to work for these guys, it not particularly neat or tidy, but if I were to try that I could easily spend a month per Kurnoth conversion and never get done with the army.

gallery_29932_13875_59159.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_69645.jpg

Congrats, these guys look great, well done on completing!

GENESTEALERS IN THE KITCHEN:eek: ..... Don't you just hate that.

med_gallery_49400_16060_1420039.jpg

Once again, late to the party:blush.: Had some unexpected business out of town, but I'm back and ready to paint:yes: Sooo....

I, Brother Lunkhead vow to paint one Genestealer Brood (20 Genestealers, 16 PL (I think)/300 Pts (I think)) in the month of July.

I know, I know:facepalm: ..... and yes, I am just a little bit mad:wacko.: But, since I cleaned and built all these little guys last night, and since I'm off (from work that is) for the next few days, I think I can get this done just under the deadline......I think:unsure.:

Bold vow! Revow them for Aug? Or you think you'll be done soon?

Hot off the press and vow complete.

gallery_72518_17087_55784.jpg

Great work, I think that's the biggest beast anyone's entered!

I got some freshly painted Genestealers!

BumE1uF.jpg

Awesome work in such a short timeframe - how did you do the bases on these?

And done.

Nice work, everyone.

So is there a specific time for cut off that I have missed or is it just midnight on the 2nd local time?

We'll say midnight GMT - realistically if they're done and posted before I get up tomorrow I'll include them.

I've finished these off:

Iho06Qc.jpg

A bit of a rush job. Only really got stuck into them on this weekend. But I'll be putting a bit more effort into the stuff I paint in August.

Nice work, love the red!

Looks like you got him done just in time!

---------------------

July vows/completions updated to here. I'll tot up completions and rankings tomorrow!

GENESTEALERS IN THE KITCHEN:eek: ..... Don't you just hate that.

med_gallery_49400_16060_1420039.jpg

Once again, late to the party:blush.: Had some unexpected business out of town, but I'm back and ready to paint:yes: Sooo....

I, Brother Lunkhead vow to paint one Genestealer Brood (20 Genestealers, 16 PL (I think)/300 Pts (I think)) in the month of July.

I know, I know:facepalm: ..... and yes, I am just a little bit mad:wacko.: But, since I cleaned and built all these little guys last night, and since I'm off (from work that is) for the next few days, I think I can get this done just under the deadline......I think:unsure.:

Bold vow! Revow them for Aug? Or you think you'll be done soon?

I'll be done with these little gribblies soon, so I'll stick it out. I've already got three models built for this month's vow. I've got all my models scheduled for build and painting. If I don't stick to it, they'll never get done.

I hadn't noticed earlier, but my pot of Sybarite Green was almost empty. I got two more to finish the Genestealers and this month's brood. My big concern right now is my only can of primer is almost empty and nobody has primer anywhere, beyond metalics, and that won't do for this project. Unless this condition changes, I'm going to have to experiment with some art sprays.

++July Summary++

tenor.gif

Another awesome month guys - if last month with 45 power was good, this one was great! After finishing June at 45 completed power, we've now hit 115 complete power, which is pretty much a 2000point army painted in 2 months by an awesome team. The biomass count also increased from 98 wounds to 124, so everyone was really pulling out the stops to get their nids painted.

As a refresher, here are the vows and completions.

July (Deadline 2nd August)
Participating/Vowed, with pic/Complete

4.5 Arson Fire: 5x Genestealers (5 PL)

Azekai20 Termegants + 3 spore mines (7 PL)

Brother Argent1x Tyranid Prime, 6x Genestealers, 30x Hormagaunts, 7x Spore Mines, 1x Carnifex (30 PL)

Brother Lunkhead20 Genestealers (16PL)

0.3 Grotsmasha1 Cultist (0.3 PL)

2.5 Halandaar1 Carnifex (6 PL)

Jud Cottrell3 Hive Guard (6 PL)

Mike Zulu1 Carnifex (6 PL)

our_baz1 Tyrannofex (9 PL)

Rogue3 Acolytes (1.8 PL)

Ruskinses

ThePenitentOne: 

TPS1 Broodlord and 2x Genestealers (8.6PL)

Trokair4 Warriors + 5 Stealers (9 PL)

1.5 WarriorFish4 Termagants (1.2 PL)

XenithHive Tyrant and 20 Spore Mines (15.6 PL)

Shout outs to Azekai for painting the most models (23) and Our_Baz for jumping in with model with the most wounds with the 14w Tyrannofex, great work!

Now for a quick look at the standings and upcoming vows:

Total PL painted so far/Frater/Vow for August

21.6 @Xenith3 Zoanthropes  (7 PL)

13 @Jud Cottrell12 Termagants, 1 Harpy, 3 Spore Mines (15 PL)

12 @Trokair30 Hormagaunts + 3 Zoanthropes (16 PL)

9.5 @Arson Fire:  1 Maleceptor + 5 Genestealers (13 PL)

9 @our_baz

8.6 @TPS

8.5 @Halandaar3 Warriors (4PL)

7.8 @Rogue1 Atalan Jackal (0.75 PL)

0 @Mike Zulu

0 @ThePenitentOne: 

I've jumped in front with my mass of spore mines and the last minute Tyrant, but Judd, Trokair and Azekai are one good, completable vow from jumping back in front of me! A target was to try and paint 10 PL per month for 6 months, however 5 is also a great target, and we have a lot of Frater making great gains for their armies, keep it up all! 

Edited by Xenith

I almost got there but after being sick for a week and a half in the middle of July and then having a bit of hobby burnout at the end I didn't quite make it.  So if it is allowed I will revow for August (even though most of the stuff is about 80% done).  If not give me a week or so and I should get it all done for a late Julyish finish.

I almost got there but after being sick for a week and a half in the middle of July and then having a bit of hobby burnout at the end I didn't quite make it.  So if it is allowed I will revow for August (even though most of the stuff is about 80% done).  If not give me a week or so and I should get it all done for a late Julyish finish.

Sorry to hear Argent! The massive vow is inspiring, but pushing yourself like that can lead to loss of motivation, sorry you got burned out - amazing to see you got ~20 PL done in the month, that's a hell of a feat and you should be proud! While you can't vow mostly painted stuff, you can revow the unpainted models from last month, maybe attack them in bitesize pieces?

Love the colours on them Azekai, the lime green and bone work so well together (and was my nid scheme in DoW II :biggrin.: ). Would be great to see it on a larger model like a fex or something... :wink::tongue.: As for the basing are you looking for other ways to do your scheme? I don't think you should worry too much about superglue as you're not using loads of it, an open window ideally nearby should suffice :smile.:

Oh no! I have all my large monstrosities painted- I might post some photos up here just for grins, though. That's why I am using this event to get my rank and file beasts done... I don't think I could muster up the impetus, otherwise, even with my slap-dash paint scheme.

I may be able to rehabilitate a broken warrior or two, or perhaps knock together a few of my kit-bashed tyrant/hive guard.

Edited by Azekai

I, Slave to Darkness, Commander of the Hive, pledge to paint a Slaaneshi Genestealer Patriarch (Broodlord?) to the value of  ? (no idea, I dont have the dex) in the month of  August 2021

Ill upload the before picture when I  remember where I put the mini