Warhawk by Chris Wraight

I did enjoy Erebus, not least because... yeah, he's kinda right! By hook and by crook, Erebus isĀ the guy who set the galaxy aflame and he's rolling with the endgame players now. I tend to dislike traitor characters given how many of them are both smug and delusional at the same time, but Erebus owns what he is.

Can I get that quote Rohr?

I only have the audio :(. Basically he has a moment of clarity and sees Space Marines so indoctrinated that there is no life to them and what misery they will bring on the Galaxy, and that Sigismund beating the crap out of his own friend and not even deigning to get mad at KhĆ¢rn is the encapsulation of that future. Kharns last words are ā€œNot as damaged as youā€

Can I get that quote Rohr?

It's a longer dƩnouement, but a good one

Ā 

Ā 

He never said a word. Never. Throughout it all, the Black Sword didnā€™t say a thing.

The monster. The ghost. The mere shell.

What could be worse than this? What death could be as profound as this? What disappointment, what despair, could ever be greater?

KhĆ¢rn raged at it. He howled in fury, coming at him again and again, shrugging off the wounds. He wanted the old one back. The one with some fire in his veins. He wanted some spirit. Just a flicker of something ā€“ anything ā€“ other than this flint-edged, iron-deep hardness.

They had laughed together, the two of them. They had fought in the roaring pits, and had sliced slabs out of one another, and at the end they had always slumped down in the straw and the blood and laughed. Even the Nails had not taken that away, for in combat the Nails had still always shown the truth of things.

ā€˜Beā€¦ angry!ā€™ he bellowed, thundering in close. ā€˜Beā€¦ alive!ā€™

Because you could only kill the things that lived. You couldnā€™t kill a ghost, only swipe your axe straight through it. There was nothing here, just frustration, just the madness of going up against a wall, again and again.

The Nails spiked at him. He fought harder. He fought faster. His muscles ripped apart, and were instantly reknitted. His blood vessels burst, and were restored. He felt heat surge through his body, hotter and whiter than any heat he had ever endured.

The Black Sword resisted it all, silently, implacably, infuriatingly. It was like fighting the end of the universe. Nothing could shake the faith before him. It was blind to everything but itself, as selfish as a jewel-thief in a hoard.

Ā 

[...]

Ā 

ā€˜Iā€¦ amā€¦ notā€¦ā€™ [KhĆ¢rn] blurted, feeling the tidal wave of exhaustion drag on even his god-infused limbs.

He realised what had been done, then. In the midst of his madness, even as the Great God poured himself into his brutalised body, he knew what transformation had occurred.

They had always told themselves, after Nuceria, that the Imperium had made the World Eaters. It had been their fault. The injustice, the violence, it had forged that lust for conflict, for the endless rehearsal of old gladiatorial games, like some kind of religious observance to long- and justifiably dead deities. That had given the excuse for every atrocity, every act of wanton bloodletting, for they had done this to us.

ā€˜Iā€¦ amā€¦ notā€¦ā€™

But now KhĆ¢rn saw the circle complete. He saw what seven years of total war had done to the Imperium. He saw what its warriors had been turned into. He had a vision, even then, in the midst of the most strenuous and lung-bursting fighting he had ever experienced, of thousands of warriors in this very mould, marching out from fortresses of unremitting bleakness, every one of them as unyielding and soul-dead and fanatical as this one, never giving up, not because of any positive cause in which they believed, but because they had literally forgotten how to cede ground. And he saw then how powerful that could be, and how long it could last, and what fresh miseries it would bring to a galaxy already reeling under the hammer of anguish without limits, and then he, even he, even KhĆ¢rn the Faithful, shuddered to his core.

ā€˜Iā€¦ amā€¦ notā€¦ā€™

He fought on, now out of wild desperation, because this could not be allowed to go unopposed, this could not be countenanced. There was still pleasure, there was still heat and honour and the relish of a kill well made, but it would all be drowned by this cold flood if not staunched here, on Terra, where their kind had first been made, where the great spectacle of hubris had been kicked off.

He had to stand. He had to resist, for humanity, for a life lived with passion, for the glorious pulse of pain, of sensation, of something.

ā€˜Iā€¦ amā€¦ notā€¦ā€™ he panted, his vision going now, his hands losing their grip, ā€˜asā€¦ damagedā€¦ā€™

The Black Sword came at him, again, again. It was impossible, this way of fighting ā€“ too perfect, too uncompromising, without a thread of pity, without a kernel of remorse. He never even saw the killing strike, the sword-edge hurled at him with all the weight of emptiness, the speed of eternity, so magnificent in its nihilism that even the Great God within him could only watch it come.

Thus was KhĆ¢rn cut down. He was despatched in silence, cast to the earth with a frigid disdain, hacked and stamped down into the ashes of a civilisation, his throat crushed, his skull broken and chest caved in. He was fighting even as his limbs were cut into bloody stumps, even as the reactor in his warp-thrumming armour died out, raging and thrashing to the very end, but by then that was not enough. The last thing he saw, on that world at least, was the great dark profile of his slayer, the black templar, turning his immaculate blade tip down and making ready to end the last bout the two of them would ever fight.

ā€˜Notā€¦ asā€¦ damaged,ā€™ gasped KhĆ¢rn, in an agony greater than anything the Nails could ever have given him, but with more awareness of the ludic cruelty of the universe than he had ever possessed before, ā€˜asā€¦ you.ā€™

And then the sword fell, and the god left him, dead amid the ruins of his ancient home.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Petitioner's City

Yes.

Ā 

Got ninja'd while typing up the excerpt, but just to add to that, here's a small part of Wraight's comments about that perspective from the afterword:

I had originally intended the big fight between him and KhĆ¢rn to be almost entirely from Sigismund's point of view, and for the Emperor's Champion to have a moment of clarity when he sees how ruined the World Eater has become. In the end, I decided to reverse this, and give KhĆ¢rn the last word. Rather than regretting his debasement, KhĆ¢rn can't believe what a monster Sigismund is. So it is that we get to the purity of 40K's endless war, in which both sides are equally nihilistic, and we see the terrible bargain that humanity is forced to make - you can survive, in a fashion, but only if you pledge allegiance to one of two horrific powers: the gods of the warp, or the corpse on the Throne. No alternative, no escape, no happy ending.

Another really strong outing by Wraight.He tackles a lot of plot-threads in this novel.

Ā 

Ā 

Off the top of my head...
  • Khan, Shiban, Ilya, Jangsai: planning and executing the lightning strike (covered by the Skye Plate) against the Lion's Gate Spaceport
  • Mortarion, Morarg, Kalgaro, Crosius,Typhus: very solid DG POV before and during the aforementioned strikeĀ 
  • Sigismund/IF: Sigismund receiving the Black Sword and finding his purpose again with a side of Dorn being DornĀ 
  • Loken/Keeler: Loke looks for Keeler, who now indoctrinates hordes of baseline humans to take up arms against the Traitors
  • Basilio Fo/Valdor: Valdor looks for Fo in the ruins of Terra's capital
  • Perpetuals: John, Oll, and Cyrene/Actae make a perilous dash to the palace all the way from "paradise" hive, Erebus meets Erda

Ā 

Stand-out/Jaw-dropper: I think Wraight handled the Khan vs. Mortarion climax extremely well. This is, in my view, the best-written, hardest-hitting, most earth-shaking primarch fight in all of BL literature. Y'know when boxing commentators say "he left everything in the ring"? Yeah, no other primarch duel in BL...scratch that, no other duel in BL period...so powerfully conveys the sense of a character giving absolutely everything to defeat their nemesis. The Khan plays rope-a-dope to tire an incredibly powerful Mortarion, taking massive damage just to create a single opening for the double KO. Doesn't sound that cool in my words, but it's absolutely phenomenal as written by Wraight. Wraight's description of the aftermath is appropriately brutal as well. The Khan is a mangled mess (Xarl comes to mind). I'm almost tempted to say that if the Khan does manage to come back, it could be as the first primarch dreadnought. Hope his return, if it happens, comes with major character growth, which I think this sort of experience would warrant.

Ā 

Runner-up: Excellent treatment of Sigismund vs. KhĆ¢rn. This is written almost as a metaphor of the contest between ravening Chaos and the merciless Imperium-to-be. KhĆ¢rn actually shudders at the thought of legions of space marines cast in Sigismund's mold. Unlike their earlier encounter in The First Wall, almost no description of the blow-by-blow action. Excellent choice by Wraight to describe it from KhĆ¢rn's POV and focus on the symbolic implications.

Finished this in 3 days...I am utterly in love with this book

Ā 

Frankly this is where I'm at - I devoured this in two days and I was giddy the whole time and am still reveling in the post-completion high.Ā  I don't think I have anything intelligent to say other than this was pure 30/40k goodness - managed to channel everything that makes me love this setting.Ā  One of the first times in a long time I didn't want a book to end - and as much as I enjoyed Saturnine I can't say that about it.Ā  Saturnine was a very intellectually satisfying book but Warhawk was emotionally satisfying on a level I didn't think possible.

And here I am still waiting on my (pre-ordered) copy to ship from GW.

Ā 

You know, come to think of it, pre-ordering from GW these days seems to be a great way to get new releases slower.Ā :teehee:

Ā 

I pre-ordered the hardback and when I belatedly realized the ebook came out 2 weeks earlier I couldn't wait and just double dipped.

And here I am still waiting on my (pre-ordered) copy to ship from GW.

Ā 

You know, come to think of it, pre-ordering from GW these days seems to be a great way to get new releases slower.Ā :teehee:

Ā 

As an aside, I have not once had a GW pre-order show up on time. Literally NEVER. I just go in and get it from the local shop.

Finished this morning. What an exceptional book. Donā€™t have a lot to add that hasnā€™t already been said here, but my word Wraight can write. I ended it feeling pretty damn emotional to come to the end of the Scars Heresy arc too. I think itā€™s my favourite Siege book so far.Ā 

It was really good, a worthy continuation of the series. Both the Astartes bits and the mortal bits are great- he totally nails the characters of the featured legions, and the deconstruction of the Leman Russ tank design is wonderful. Great the see the Imperium as we know it forming, and see all the pieces coming together for the final conflict, but I might just be finally getting Heresy fatigueā€¦

It was really good, a worthy continuation of the series. Both the Astartes bits and the mortal bits are great- he totally nails the characters of the featured legions, and the deconstruction of the Leman Russ tank design is wonderful. Great the see the Imperium as we know it forming, and see all the pieces coming together for the final conflict, but I might just be finally getting Heresy fatigueā€¦

i think most of us are looking forward to the wrap up

Just finished this and wow.

Ā 

Wraight nailed this. I caught on about midway through where he was going with the Khan, and I must say I didnā€™t expect him to actually do it. I wish he had gone all the way through with it and hadnā€™t pulled his punch at the last second, but I can at least understand why it happened the way it did. Mortarion was completely redeemed from Swallows treatment of him and his end here was exhilarating. That fight was incredibly well done. I also loved how Sigismund, Keeler and KhĆ¢rn laid out the next 10,000 years of imperial stagnation. Humanity is basically defensive tyranids, with as much reliance on a central figure and one-mindedness to simply exist. The emergence of the Imperial religion also turned into something organic and believable. Wraight really delivered here and set things up nicely for the next two books and the next ten thousand years. I also wonder if thereā€™s coincidence or planning that the Templar codex came out so close to this book lol. Those scenes with Sigismund were incredible.

Ā 

Just some initial thoughts off the top of my head. Very happy with this book.

Quick question, finished it. Someone remind me what happened with Skar Hei? I remember him meeting up with KhĆ¢rn and donā€™t recall him after that.

I donā€™t remember reading about him again; I think he was implied to be in with the rest of the World Eaters when they and KhĆ¢rn went over the [blank] and fought [blank] and the [blanks].