Warhawk by Chris Wraight

It's Russ and the Khan. You can see them on Mauro Belfiore's ArtStation.

Beautiful art.

Although its annoying they got Russ's eyes wrong. His being blue where his sons are yellow is fairly distinct.

Sort of amusing to think if the Khan just pinned down the horse to paint on the thunderbolt or just spent ages looking through the herds if every tribe he subdued.

It's Russ and the Khan. You can see them on Mauro Belfiore's ArtStation.

Beautiful art.

Although its annoying they got Russ's eyes wrong. His being blue where his sons are yellow is fairly distinct.

Sort of amusing to think if the Khan just pinned down the horse to paint on the thunderbolt or just spent ages looking through the herds if every tribe he subdued.

I like that he doesn't have the bolt on his forehead like he's often portrayed. Also that horse must be massive...

To be fair its an alien horse on a different planet, so size is really out the window.

Ya chogoris just happened to have horses that look exactly like normal horses next to a primarch. They weren't brought by the humans that colonized the planet at all and wouldnt have been optimally gene spliced for those colonists.

You gotta have that artistic license lol, otherwise even a big horse looks like a pony next to an 8ft Primarch.

I could be wrong but arent Mongol horses quite notably relatively short and stocky?

The Khan riding a relative pony would actually make alot of sense!

I just finished reading my imported copy today.  Feel free to ask any questions that may need clarifying from the various lore threads/breakdowns that are knocking around.  

I just want to say after reading the book that I will never look at a Leviathan Dreadnought in the same way.   :teehee:

Loken is in the Dramatis Personae.  Is there any mention of his no longer suppressed powers or the Sword Mourn-it-All?

Is Garro even mentioned at all? His absence from the Dramatis Personae completely baffled me.

No, but thats for me is part of the books charm, it doesnt cut itself in pieces trying to throw in 100s of different plot lines, many of which should have been wrapped up by now, it sticks to its core premise, and only deals with the sideline things that MUST be dealt with, or can be brought into the story organically.  

On a more personal note garro for me at this point should be dealt with in a novella, we are going into the very end game and we already have too many b,c and d plots running around. Without any new ones they might decide to throw in ( did you know that the Emperor had a mate called bob who is in a sense the cool uncle of the space marines?) .

Edited by nagashnee

Except Garro and Mortarion should not be considered a c or d plot, it's a reunion that has been in the making since book 4 of the series at the latest. Pre-Siege entries, including The Buried Dagger, even anticipated the two meeting during the Siege.

There's bad blood, and even if they don't get to actually meet in person - Garro should at the very least be acknowledged as existing and having a bone to pick. Instead, he, like many other key characters that have been along for the ride, is going forgotten once more. I mean, this isn't just THE Mortarion book, but also THE Sigismund/Keeler culmination - and Garro hasn't even been close to Keeler lately, despite her being the reason why he does his faith jazz, the cause that brought him to Terra and in a sense even to defy Malcador in multiple instances. And yet he's entirely absent from both of these pivotal moments? It's just extremely silly.

Garro isn't Bob. Erda is Bob...ette. Garro is one of the most important characters of the series, one from the earliest sources, the dude who brought news of the Heresy to Dorn. The guy who pretty much kicked off the retribution fleet being assembled and culminating in the Dropsite Massacre. The leak that Horus could not prevent, which led to a shift in strategy from the earliest hour - something he even laments in Warmaster. Garro is a hugely important figure, and one the audience is familiar with.

But why have him involved when you can push Loken instead, I suppose. Really wish the bloke had remained dead and buried on Isstvan III....

I just finished reading my imported copy today.  Feel free to ask any questions that may need clarifying from the various lore threads/breakdowns that are knocking around.  

I just want to say after reading the book that I will never look at a Leviathan Dreadnought in the same way.   :teehee:

Explain about the Leviathan Dreadnought, what happens, is its formidable power shown? :)

Plus, I am still curious as to how Mortarion is banished? How is he cast out when he has beaten the Khan?

I just finished reading my imported copy today. Feel free to ask any questions that may need clarifying from the various lore threads/breakdowns that are knocking around.

I just want to say after reading the book that I will never look at a Leviathan Dreadnought in the same way. :teehee:

Loken is in the Dramatis Personae. Is there any mention of his no longer suppressed powers or the Sword Mourn-it-All?

The sword was certainly not mentioned. He doesn't feature much tbh. I can't recall anything about his suppressed powers.
Edited by Ubiquitous1984

All the Erda spoilers, so I can try and trigger a heart attack please.

The spoilers are exactly like the reddit spoiler thread suggests, there isn't much I can add above what that thread contains.  The only thing I am unsure about is whether it was truly four greater daemons who were summoned by Erebus to fight her.  It was certainly four daemons, but I believe their power level is open to interpretation.  Happy to stand corrected.

I just finished reading my imported copy today. Feel free to ask any questions that may need clarifying from the various lore threads/breakdowns that are knocking around.

I just want to say after reading the book that I will never look at a Leviathan Dreadnought in the same way. :teehee:

Explain about the Leviathan Dreadnought, what happens, is its formidable power shown? :)

Plus, I am still curious as to how Mortarion is banished? How is he cast out when he has beaten the Khan?

Khan, with one hand, picks up and flings a leviathan through the air. I have zero issues with ridiculous primarch feats, but it ties into my dislike of them giving 'specifications' of things in the 40k universe, as it mentions that it only weighs 30 tonnes. As for Mortarion, Khan is able to get one final blow in as Mortarion thinks he's out of action.

Book is excellent.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Explain about the Leviathan Dreadnought, what happens, is its formidable power shown? :smile.:

Sorry I missed your message earlier.  

The Khan literally picks up the Dreadnought (with one hand IIRC) and launches it so far into the air that the rest of the warriors, who are in the middle of a major battle, all take a moment to stop and stare.  It was so ridiculous that it made me laugh out loud when reading the book (in a good way!  It was great fun IMO.)

Morty gets so wound up by the Khan's jibes and refusal to give up, that he lets his rage get the better of him.  As he goes for the final killing blow (which lands) he isn't paying full attention, and the Khan slips in an attack which decapitates Morty.

I think it's also important to add that when the Khan dies, there was a very visual (lights and all that) and mental display on the battlefield (The V legion troops going into a frenzy).  It was very much portrayed as a 'proper' Primarch death.

Edited by Ubiquitous1984