Warhawk by Chris Wraight

The simultaneous release of different editions does not seem to have helped. I hope it reduces demand for those copies bought to be resold at a higher price, and over time that will reduce demand on launch.

Or you know, GW could make 3,000 copies instead of 2,500 and avoid making their customers unhappy.

The lack of queuing system was surprising, at least the only lag was on the final order confirmation.

GW must know these books are popular with scalpers, they really should have turned the queue on.

I think (hope) I managed to squeak in with one of the last copies, I got the confirmation page and email just before it went out of stock.

I have a feeling they are not gonna use the queues for BL releases, just for minis / boxes. The probably less than 10000 hits the site gets for a BL limited release is quite a minor scale compared to big boxes. You can bet that the queue will be there for the Templars box. It's just a waaay larger audience and thus more impactfull for the site.

Also: Why hinder all the minis customers "just because" some book readers wanna get a special edition. I think the audienes vary so much in size, that using the queue system for this would just hinder release day sales on all the minis coming out.

I have a feeling they are not gonna use the queues for BL releases, just for minis / boxes. The probably less than 10000 hits the site gets for a BL limited release is quite a minor scale compared to big boxes. You can bet that the queue will be there for the Templars box. It's just a waaay larger audience and thus more impactfull for the site.

Also: Why hinder all the minis customers "just because" some book readers wanna get a special edition. I think the audienes vary so much in size, that using the queue system for this would just hinder release day sales on all the minis coming out.

I think it should just be standard practice on preorder day - it's a good system whatever the release. I might eat my words but it saves frustration.

A more serious issue is that whatever fraction of 2500 limited edition copies are given to a territory, that's a tiny amount. But the Horus heresy series is read by tens of thousands or more readers (possibly many via pirated copies of course) - so lots of potential customers!

I just ordered the normal one. I’ve not specifically wanted to get the limited editions, but have got them previously as I’ve wanted to read the new book as soon as it’s available, rather than waiting 6 months for the regular release! They should continue to release both at the same time in future.

I have to take a guess here @strangerorders from among these four :D

60040181794_WarhawkHHSiegeOfTerraLtdEd11

60040181794_WarhawkHHSiegeOfTerraLtdEd12

Erda is amongst the most important figures added to the heresy, a wonderfully revisionist and deconstructive addition that actually gives us an exciting perspective into not only the Emperor, but something also operatic or mythic about the setting as a whole - I'm excited to see what Wraight does with her, especially as he loves symbolism in his work, in a way that does recall Dan's own writing.

I don't find her migraine-inducing at all - rather, as you can tell, really really exciting!

Edited by Petitioner's City

I have to take a guess here @strangerorders from among these four :biggrin.:

60040181794_WarhawkHHSiegeOfTerraLtdEd11

I won't begrudge Erda her existence.

will begrudge the time of her addition though, because its the same problem of as I have with the Perpetuals in general.

Way too late, way too underdeveloped and way too poorly executed so far. If BL had committed to the idea after Legion I'd be more partial to them and her, but as things stand its not where we should be spending the screentime because it is not what the actual Horus Heresy we read built up for.

Its not 'that random Alpha Legion-dope young girl who we gave a third of a novel' confusing but its sort of adding another bleeding strike on the dying leviathan of the Siege. 

I am always prepared to be wrong but from what I've seen? As much as I trust Wraight, I'm more scared of what he is told to do here than what he would have written.

That's just my 2 cents though.

So, this has EASILY become my favourite siege book. This book  and saturnine are the shining examples of what the siege should have been. Focussed on specific events but still giving you a larger picture and more importantly FEEL for the siege at large, perfectly balances the main course and the side dishes ( tho i still wasnt a fan of the perpetual subplot) gives the people what they wanted ( Emperors champions, sky fotress, terran 1st armored) but always in ways that makes sense in the modern era of the HH lore, always careful to make sure it slots into makes sense in universe.  But despite it all is still a gripping story of one single legion ( take a guess), it perfectly carriers the torch of the white scar story arcs and blends it into the siege so seamlessly you would think they actually did plan this series ( tho you would be wrong :biggrin.: ).  

But it does more then all that, it makes the siege feel alive, massive and as crazy as it should be, characters are introduced and made REAL, SOH captain bob may not have many pages but hot damn does he squeeze every single line of story he does get to make us feel like he is an actual character who might get his own book some day.  WE srg Jogn doesnt really do anything, but his joyrney in the palace interiror makes us FEEL how massive it is, how control on both sides is breaking down and how every single veteran of this battle will be changed by it forever. And it does it in a way that makes me feel like all these stories are all flowing organically, all going somewhere together, it never fall into the failure of other Siege books of making me feel like i am reading 3 small books spliced together. 

In all honestly reading the afterword was like reading my own thoughts on much of the Siege and how these books should be written, with the only real downside of this book being it makes the mediocre ones in the siege seem all the worse, and their missed potential all the more glaring. Having rea the ebook i do not regret 1 penny of the money i spent on the limited edition, i put my faith in Chris Wraith landing his White Scar trilogy and hot damn but he knocked it straight out of the park.