New minis inbound

Warhammer Community has a "Thunderhawk Hobby Focus" article up, with a bunch of people's painted plastic Thunderhawks (some of them very pretty, some of them less so): https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/18/thunderhawks-from-12-chapters-rule-the-skies-in-this-epic-aeronautica-imperialis-showcase/

I didn't realise that what I thought were wing braces appear to be positional ailerons, so you can make it look a bit like an X-Wing.

Had my first game with my new Eldar on Monday night against some T'au.

It was only my third game ever*, but my opponent has played quite a bit. We played the ambush scenario at 100 points which was 2 each of Nightwings and Phoenixes for me  vs a TigerShark and 3 Barracudas. 

Early on I took down one of his fighters, only to lose 1 of each of mine in the following turns along with a point of damage on the second Phoenix, it looked like it was all over at that point. I managed some more considered and evasive flying, taking time to line up shots where I couldn't get shot back or managing range to minimise his shots when that wasn't possible and in the end managed to take down the remainder of the T'au. One Nightwing was definitely the MVP taking out the TigerShark with 2 volleys of close range fire (first in the shooting phase and second as tailing fire).

The Eldar play exactly how you'd want/expect them to.

The Nightwing is exceptionally fast with throttle 3 on the letting you vary your speed with ease access to all of the manoeuvres so repositioning isn't an issue. I took the Scatter Lasers on them to double-down on the close range firepower and it worked a treat, they were kicking out 14 dice each at close range.

The Phoenix isn't much slower and only misses out on the Wing-Over, it has a bit more firepower but possibly not enough to make it worth taking over the Nightwing other than to get some Ground Attack capability into your list.

Both are very fragile at only 2 Structure points, but adding Holo-Fields will mitigate this quite a lot at long range.

Having Jink on both is VERY powerful, it really does make a huge difference allowing you to get out of arc or the opponent into yours when it wouldn't otherwise be possible.

For anyone familiar with the X-Wing miniatures game I'd say it's pretty similar to playing with Tie Interceptors and Inquisitor's Tie, play them right and keep out of arc and you'll wipe the board with people, get distracted or move in the wrong direction and you're toast.

As an observation, neither of the available options has a Transport capacity which will rule out some of the scenarios completely, I'm curious as to when they're going to bring something in that'll fill that gap, and surely it'll have to be the Vampire Raider?

*Full disclosure I've played a LOT of X-Wing in the past, most of the concepts are pretty similar and the skills mostly transferrable.

Rik

As an observation, neither of the available options has a Transport capacity which will rule out some of the scenarios completely, I'm curious as to when they're going to bring something in that'll fill that gap, and surely it'll have to be the Vampire Raider?

I think the assumption is that they may release a Vampire kit via Forgeworld. It's in a bit of an odd place, because you'd have expected it to be in the card pack if that were the case, however all of the recent releases have included the stats for them (the latest wave of plastic kits, and the Mega Bommer and Marauder variants), so who knows. :/

My box of boxes arrived yesterday, and I'll echo the comments of them looking great, and looking easy to assemble (I haven't started them, as I'm finishing off my Tau - only 5 Tiger Sharks to go :whistling:).

One thing I did notice was that the bases were supplied in individual zip-lock bags for the two Eldar and the Xiphon boxes, which is nice - they'll be great for storing bitz. :biggrin.:

So lascannons and heavy bolters for the Fire Raptor - or did I miss autocannon turrets somewhere?

I guess we'll have to wait until Saturday to find out! It might be on the sprue but not pictured - I'm guessing there's only 2 in the box, and if they previewed 3 people might get upset when only 2 arrived? It would be odd if they didn't have that option, given how the full-sized Forgeworld model comes ...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

The cards and the rules in the Marines vs Eldar box both give you the option to upgrade the pair of Heavy Bolter side turrets to either Auto Cannons or Lascannons at a small points cost, both have the appropriate side arcs.

Haven't got either to hand but Heavy Bolters are something like 5+ 6/2/0, Auto Cannons 4+ 2/4/2 and Lascannons 2+ 0/2/1 with extra damage. I may be off by a little on each but that's roughly where they're at.

Rik

Updated with corrections to my hazily remembered stats

Edited by Rik Lightstar

Heavy Bolters are 6/2/0, and Lascannons are 0/2/1 per turret according to the images on GW's site (for the aces cards) :smile.:

Apparently the Fire Raptors and Thunderhawk boxes are the same price as the other regular boxes (i.e. Thunderbolt rather than Ork 'Eavy Bommer prices)

Heavy Bolters are 6/2/0, and Lascannons are 0/2/1 per turret according to the images on GW's site (for the aces cards) :smile.:

Apparently the Fire Raptors and Thunderhawk boxes are the same price as the other regular boxes (i.e. Thunderbolt rather than Ork 'Eavy Bommer prices)

Ta, updated my post

Also, great news on the pricing, box of each for me. 

Rik

Oh wow bugger than I thought! On the tile it looks smaller than a Marauder.

I got busy today so couldn't get to pre orders until the afternoon and it sold out :cry:

Edited by duz_

I started assembling my Space Marines over the weekend. The Storm Eagle feels like a cross between the Marauder and Valkyrie kits in terms of how it's "cut" or fits together, although I'm not that much of a fan of where GW put some of the sprue gates - there's a couple that go onto exposed flat surfaces which will need sanding/filling, and one of the gates is annoyingly close to the VTOL fan things which makes clean-up hard. Nothing too bad, but something that can catch you out/be annoying.

Glad to see the T-hawk sell out quickly, hopefully between that and the influx of Marine and Eldar players we'll continue to see support for the game.

Fire Raptors sold out in the UK too :smile.:

I'm torn now though... Do I keep working on my Imperial Navy squadrons, or jump into Astartes and bring the XXth Legion some air transport...

Why not both? They don't take up much space :laugh.::tongue.:

I’ve got a thunderhawk and a couple of fire raptors on the way but I’ll be out of town this weekend she (hopefully) they arrive. Really looking forward to putting them together and painting them.

It’s a bit odd how the Eldar stuff is limited to two planes with no transport capacity. I guess the same was true of the Imperial navy when it first came out and now they’ve got more transport options than anyone else. Hopefully the vampire will appear, though to be honest I might just leave the Eldar with the starter set stuff. Night wings are my favourite plane so I’m happy to have some.

No plans to actually play the game. I don’t honestly rate the mechanics, which devalue manoeuvrability. But the models are great and not crazily expensive. It’s a nice low-pressure side project to have.

I’ve got a thunderhawk and a couple of fire raptors on the way but I’ll be out of town this weekend she (hopefully) they arrive. Really looking forward to putting them together and painting them.

It’s a bit odd how the Eldar stuff is limited to two planes with no transport capacity. I guess the same was true of the Imperial navy when it first came out and now they’ve got more transport options than anyone else. Hopefully the vampire will appear, though to be honest I might just leave the Eldar with the starter set stuff. Night wings are my favourite plane so I’m happy to have some.

No plans to actually play the game. I don’t honestly rate the mechanics, which devalue manoeuvrability. But the models are great and not crazily expensive. It’s a nice low-pressure side project to have.

Dont need transport when you have webway portals

It’s a bit odd how the Eldar stuff is limited to two planes with no transport capacity. 

Yeah, some of the races are in a slightly "odd" situation - the Tau can't actually bomb anything (strafing runs only), if you're playing Marines you kinda have to include the Thunderhawk in your campaign roster as it's the only bomber in the list (this might be why the card pack includes 4 of them :tongue.:), and as you say, the Eldar have no transports. Hopefully they release the Vampire later (especially as it was in the last version of the game).

How to magnetise the Fire Raptor, if anyone's interested: 

TL;DW: 3x6mm magnet in the internal cavity, sand down the internal side of the recesses the turrets fit in, assemble the turrets with a ball-bearing inside it.

Everyone's favourite metallic flying croissants incoming: 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/08/the-necrons-are-bringing-60-million-years-worth-of-air-superiority-to-aeronautica-imperialis/

Confirmed:

• Night Scythe
  • Doom Scythe
  • Night Shroud

In other news, sales of Vallejo Metal Colour jumped sharply :tongue.:

This game keeps tempting me. Necrons, Tau, Eldar, Thunderhawk.

If only I could persuade some others at the local club, but when I asked a while back AT got some mild interest and AI much much less, so trying AT first. Maybe one will lead to the other.

• 2 months later...