So I've been building and painting one of our nice SC! sets lately -- literally just finished assembling a Venomcrawler -- and I wanted to ask how folks are using Greater Possessed if at all.  Due to reasons both obvious and not, given Current Year ©, my gaming time has been exceedingly minimal and I haven't really have an opportunity to field one.

Thus I am curious: do you use your Greater Possessed?  How?  What Legion?  Do you buff a Possessed brick, or bump the strength of Venomcrawler shooting?

Illuminate me, dear brothers.

I used to use them a lot (mainly because the models are amazing, seriously GW please give us a Possessed kit at that quality), but have steered clear of them for a while now. +1S just isn't super useful in my view because Possessed are already S5 and Venomcrawlers already shoot/hit at S8. Their respective leaps to S6 and S9 are rarely meaningful. A Master of Possession is going to be a far better accompanying character for a block of Possessed than a GP if you're looking to shove them all in a transport, where space is at a premium. They can also make you vulnerable to the Assassinate secondary if you take more than one, which is worth keeping in mind. This is the main reason why I don't think spamming them is a great idea, despite their CC prowess.

When I have used them, it has been with my Word Bearers. Having Revered Hosts on standby (+1D) means they can occasionally be a nasty surprise for opponents, but RH is better used elsewhere on units like a Lord Discordant with Exalted Possession or a big block of Possessed, which is why I dropped them.

They're not a terrible unit though, by CSM standards - GPs pack a great punch for their cost. But I think their usefulness is mainly tied to their aura, which isn't been particularly impactful (at least in my experience). Will be interested to hear if others have had success with them.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Greater possessed are frequently the MVPs for me! Like you say buffing the Venomcrawler and possessed is where they are most useful to other units on the field but they are little death rockets on their own. I have taken 3 units of 2 before now and just unleashed the madness into the enemy’s lines. It’s a sight to behold. Having the character keyword means they can be buried from shooting enough to make it there.

With the way the new codexes are looking, having a focus on mono codex/subfaction

armies, they will likely find a place in World Eater and other Khornate armies due to not being able to bring psykers.

Other than that I'm in the agreement that a master of possessions is a preferable alternative unless changes are made to the auras/abilities.

It did just occur to me that they could boost Warp Talons-- rerolling 3s is better than rerolling 4s-- and as an Alpha Legion player I have Renascent Infiltration, the Mind Veil, and Faceless Commander I could use to keep him in buff range.

Thoughts on that?

I have been interested in them, but without the opportunity to get them or anything I've not done a great deal of poking. From what I've seen and heard I think making the most from their special abilities is the way to go. Their boon to other daemons could help a lot of units, so they're a good pick for anyone who wants or has a decent daemonic element in their forces.

I'd add that I'm not sure if it's enough to build around though, as in best to see what they can do for existing units you like/field. Especially after what Loss has covered but I too am very interested to hear more especially of experiences as the models are quite nice :thumbsup:

It did just occur to me that they could boost Warp Talons-- rerolling 3s is better than rerolling 4s-- and as an Alpha Legion player I have Renascent Infiltration, the Mind Veil, and Faceless Commander I could use to keep him in buff range.

Thoughts on that?

Sure, but you have to keep the Greater Possessed and the Warp Talons close enough in the Fight Phase to benefit.  Not saying it can't happen.  It is just a little awkward for a M7 model to keep up with a M12 flying unit.  S5 is a huge milestone, though.  It allows you to wound anything in the game on 5s.  

I want to like Greater Possessed.  I just don't see the point.  They are on the cusp of being good in combat, but have no natural prey.  Their D3 damage is too swingy, the -2AP is not enough to threaten 2+ saves, or numerous enough to really even threaten 3+ saves.  Even with a WS2+ and 6 attacks they are likely to kill 2 SMEs in a turn.  If you wanted to embrace that they are Characters, CSM have no organic means of giving out extra WLTs.  Our Relics are largely terrible, too.  Best bet is a Talisman of Burning Blood.  But, the Talisman, any Psyker powers used to buff a Greater Possessed (ironically a great candidate for Daemonic Strength) are better used on other models, like HQs.  The best thing i would say about Greater Possessed is that they are infantry characters that are mediocre in combat for a mediocre cost.  Do with that what you will.

3 units of 2 just sounds like a guaranteed 15VPs to an opponent to me. :P What is a typical list where you're running that?

It often is but I find it’s worth it for the mayhem they cause. I often run some of them in a drill and some amongst other infantry. I’m not in a hugely competitive beer and pretzels type environment where nobody minds losing as long as there’s a good story told on the tabletop, (I play as word bearers, so...). My opponents are typically necrons, death guard, genestealer cults and marines, I do ok with it against the GSC and occasionally marines. Death guard and necrons, not so much!

Edited by Danosborne

I use them mostly in army designs with tons of daemon engines or where I expect to use Heralds, Greater Daemons, or other characters from the Daemons Codex alongside CSM Daemon units. Together with a Herald, the GP works to provide +2 strength to the CSM side and can benefit from other Daemon auras.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

Sorry if this is a stupid question, do they buff each other and is that strength buff cumulative? I've been having a squint at them recently as a counter charge option to back up some objective grabbing chaos marine squads and I can't see anything saying they can't. 3 or 4 of them together could get useful.

The strength buff from multiple Greater Possessed is not cumulative.

However, it is currently cumulative with Daemon Heralds from allied Daemons of the same Mark because they all have the Daemons keyword. But that synergy might be removed with the 9th Edition CSM/Daemon codices.

So, for example, a World Eaters Possessed Squad with one or more nearby World Eaters Greater Possessed and nearby Bloodmaster(s) would be a respectable Strength 7 (base 5, +1 for Greater Possessed/+1 for Herald).

Edited by Tallarn Commander

I am also using them mostly in army designs with tons of daemon engines or where I expect to use Heralds, Greater Daemons, or other characters from the Daemons Codex alongside CSM Daemon units. Together with a Herald, the GP works to provide +2 strength to the CSM side and can benefit from other Daemon auras.

Edit oops lost my post in quoting and edited the wrong thing! I’ve been experimenting using them with a MoP that has the Iron a warriors relic to make him a daemon, and just trying to get a ton of heralds and various daemon buffs on the table at once. I’m curious about trying GP with a Defiler or Lord or Skulls(although not being able to have Khorne MoP is a bummer).

Edited by El_Dicko

I want to try some Greater Possessed with my World Eaters. Bundle one in a Rhino with an 8-man Berzerker squad and let him deal with the little targets that aren't worth expending a whole Berzerker squad on.

He'd be a good character to put the Brass Collar on, since I'd usually want to give more killy relics to my HQ characters. Or maybe even the Helm of Furor to make him S8. Probably not worth the relic slot in Matched Play, but could be fun in Crusade.

I want to try some Greater Possessed with my World Eaters. Bundle one in a Rhino with an 8-man Berzerker squad and let him deal with the little targets that aren't worth expending a whole Berzerker squad on.

He'd be a good character to put the Brass Collar on, since I'd usually want to give more killy relics to my HQ characters. Or maybe even the Helm of Furor to make him S8. Probably not worth the relic slot in Matched Play, but could be fun in Crusade.

Slight off topic bit, but throw that helmet on a MoE and watch them evolve to a slaughter machine in Crusade. Leveled up twice on the very first match due to.the work they put in. (Also fighting guard and took the very thematic killing side objectives).

As for back to topic, I've had a rough time making them work in that regard. They're still left out in the open unless placement worked out perfectly. They either flatline the unit they're sent to kill, or unexpectedly bounce off and then the opponent falls back to fish for VP.

• 2 weeks later...

The strength buff from multiple Greater Possessed is not cumulative.

However, it is currently cumulative with Daemon Heralds from allied Daemons of the same Mark because they all have the Daemons keyword. But that synergy might be removed with the 9th Edition CSM/Daemon codices.

So, for example, a World Eaters Possessed Squad with one or more nearby World Eaters Greater Possessed and nearby Bloodmaster(s) would be a respectable Strength 7 (base 5, +1 for Greater Possessed/+1 for Herald).

Still learning my way around. Just wanted to say thanks for clearing that up for me, even if it is slightly disappointing. Maybe when they get around to a new codex. The way the power creep seems to be going it might be a good thing we seem to be among the later planned.

• 3 months later...
Greater Possessed are good, but you have to commit to them as an idea for your list. Run three squads of two as Word Bearers, run lots of Possessed and Daemon Engines for them to buff, a Warlord with Exalted Possession or Master of the Union for a beat stick character buffed to insanity or hand out more attacks to the majority of the army. A Master of Possession is absolutely essential and I actually recommend Incursion as a power cuz summoning Daemonic Heralds to buff your army even more is just awesome as well as Cursed Earth or Infernal Power. Lord Discordant on Helstalker are also a powerhouse to buff with GP but are a trap if you're not running daemon engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I think theese guys are fun in a Creations of Bile list.

Like some sort of homing missile to target smaller squads or even take on more elite targets if buffed up correctly.

Sure the D-D3 is a bit swingy but hey... :)

Greater possessed benefit from their own aura iirc wich makes them S6 base.

In Bills detachement they go up to 8" movement and S7 base.

Use Supreme creation on one of them  for S8, T6, OR +1 to advance and charge and +1A on the charge OR 6+++ and heals D3 wounds if something is killed within 1" of him/her/it in the fight phase.

And after that go crazy and put a relic on top like Talisman of burning blood for advance and charge or that spicy Intoxicating Elixir for another +1S (9) and +1A (6 or 7 with Sh...Hateful Assault).

Furthermore he can benefit from most of Bills stratagems as he is infantry. So even longer charges, 6s to hit auto wound, -1 to be hit from enemys in 6" etc.

I bring them in super casual games against new players and they tend to do well there without a lot of support as "Lone Wolves."

There aura is underwhelming when everything the can buff is wounding marines on 3s anyway.

Edited by Schurge