Tau Wishing listing for 9th, why not?

Yeah nothing more to add here. Just Railgun. The terror our opponents will feel. :sweat:

For a month, they have buffed it to the point of op, up to 12 wounds with a single shot and no invuns allowed when you can fit 4 in a list…

I would advise enjoy whilst you can if you have the models but don’t buy if you don’t, it’s so overkill the errata’s errata will be around the corner and again highly possible this is to encourage the sale of the old kit before releasing a replacement (which is needed, they are nice but I bought my first hammerhead nearly 20 years ago)

The real problem will be that they just won't be fun in casual games. Any cool centerpiece model your enemy brought will be deleted immediately unless it has some special rule to only take a specific amount of wounds per round or can benefit from look out sir.

As I mentioned in the codex thread, I ran some numbers.

Compared to 3x buffed missile broadsides, the new railgun is less point efficient against basically all heavy targets.

It’s causing many forums, discussion boards and discord channels to implode into salt mines, but if many other things won’t change in the new codex it could see little competitive play.

Considering that balance decisions rely heavily on tournament results, I wouldn’t worry too much about it being nerfed for sure in a few months time.

The thing is that it takes less points of missilesides to do the same.

It’s a fancy new gun but it’s not as efficient as options in the current codex, and the new one is not likely to be a worse book.

For now...your looking at things as is. They said that weapon is the base of all railguns for starters and everything else in the book is getting changes. I fully expect a rules rewrite for broadside and sweeping points changes across the faction

But if current alternative options are already more efficient, is it more likely for them to become even better (and thus even more efficient) or become worse in the new book?

Maybe they change, maybe they dont change. We dont know yet so no one can even speculate at this point. Im saying you cant use words like 'current' while talking about previewed rules/profiles.

im just overhere sitting, waiting to see the new marker light rules.

and I want to see the breachers gun and the ghost keel. :/

I want to see whats possible with 50+ pulse rifles lol

I wish they’d preview what’s going on with the auxiliaries and potential changes to the phases of the game that the Tau don’t engage in. The focus on the upgraded guns has me worried that not much else is changing.

I'd bet all my money on "nothing's going on with the auxiliaries". GW isn't particularly interested in that aspect of the T'au Empire unfortunately.

Some Firewarrior/Breacher leak.

Most noticeable, Missile Pods lost 6" but got AP-2 and D2 instead of AP-1 and D1d3, and Pulse Blaster lost their weak 15" profile but their middle profile got increased to 14" and their close range profile got increased to 8". Still no D2 though unfortunately. Also Smart Missile Systems with AP-1.

PebbRVb.jpg

If we're wishlisting, I want new transfer sheets with some Farsight stuff on it, either editing the one in the box or rereleasing the one they used to have.

A khorne red spray would be super cool too, but that might come with World Eaters :wink:

I'd like the combat patrol to have an HQ besides an Ethereal, which is one of the issues I have with the current start collecting. Although the price of crisis suits has made me buy a few of them anyways...

The last thing I want is for any Farsight rules to be fully included in the Codex, and not separated as a supplement in a campaign book, which GW sometimes has a bad tendency of doing.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Most noticeable, Missile Pods lost 6" but got AP-2 and D2 instead of AP-1 and D1d3, and Pulse Blaster lost their weak 15" profile but their middle profile got increased to 14" and their close range profile got increased to 8". Still no D2 though unfortunately. Also Smart Missile Systems with AP-1.

PebbRVb.jpg

No marker lights profile?

So we're going to the token system?

PebbRVb.jpg

No marker lights profile?

So we're going to the token system?

No Photon Grenade profile either. Could mean they get moved to just being a stratagem. Could also mean nothing at all and they simply got left out here but will be part of the complete datasheet still. 

If we're wishlisting, I want new transfer sheets with some Farsight stuff on it, either editing the one in the box or rereleasing the one they used to have.

A khorne red spray would be super cool too, but that might come with World Eaters :wink:

I'd like the combat patrol to have an HQ besides an Ethereal, which is one of the issues I have with the current start collecting. Although the price of crisis suits has made me buy a few of them anyways...

The last thing I want is for any Farsight rules to be fully included in the Codex, and not separated as a supplement in a campaign book, which GW sometimes has a bad tendency of doing.

New Combat patrol is:

1 Ethereal

1 Cade Fireblade

3 Stealth Suits

10 Fire Warriors

1 Ghostkeel Suit

Associated Drones

Wish we'd got a Coldstar/Enforcer rather than the Ethereal and Fireblade as I've already got 3 Ehtereals from the previous Combat Patrols and I've already got 2 Fireblades and I can't see using more unless I picked up A LOT more infantry. That being said, I really like the rest of it, it's a really solid value box if you do need everything. I'll still get one because I was looking at getting the Ghostkeel and another unit of Stealth Suits anyway.

Yes, I saw the new Combat Patrol. It has a Cadre Firebladed, which is good. I don't have anything in there besides the Ethereal (which is useless) and some breachers, so I'll end up picking up at least one.

I think the value is pretty good, still like 25-35% off when you just write off the Ethereal in totality. I'd say as far as my wishlisting/expectations, they made it well enough.

Now just hopefully we get some updated transfers.

Mixed on the new box really. On one hand, nice to give players fun toys but on the other...the box was a good source of drones and with crisis teams being up to 9 per squad, you can at least (loosely) justify several purchases. Heck even the etheral can be justified a little bit since you could build 3 on drones and then 3 off of drones. However, that ghostkeel really does bloat the box for veterans, then again how many have ghostkeels (that aren't me and thus weirdos!).

Just not sure, feels a little off to me.

Personally would of liked to see maybe more of a lean into other units. Maybe a squad of Kroot Carnivores, Pathfinders then maybe replace the Cadre with a Commander? Maybe a broadside in there I guess? Just don't feel the Ghostkeel personally, cool toy and likely the idea (appeal to the giant robot idea) but overall maybe not the best for the faction start, kind of puts you down a route.

Also...real quick: didn't WarCom say we were getting a sneak peak of more tau stuff on monday but that never happened? Money on they got confused or maybe bungled their schedule and that it is next monday!

Apart from the Ethereal I really like the content of the box. Obviously not as good as the Start Collecting box but we knew they'd be worse value already. It's just that I really don't feel like investing more into 40k at the moment so it's a pass from me. I have enough to paint already as is anyway so no harms done.

I laughed long and hard at the Stormsurge cannon. Like I did when they showed the Railgun. Ridiculous. People will be whining about T'au being broken all over again.

Ironically though the slightly better burst cannon of the Piranha is what really excites me lol