Tau Wishing listing for 9th, why not?

Yeah, it's all flashy and exciting, but the Stormsurge will only be good if the points make it competitive. I still won't get one, it's the only Tau mech that I think looks really dumb and I have so much else to work on, I'm gunna pass on it either way. 

I suspect the ghostkeel will be the star of the codex for sone reason

I've been meaning to pick one up for a while, so I certainly won't mind that. It's actually the only "big" mech that I really like the look of. 

Tau leaks via Reddit:

https://www.reddit.c.../dynamic_entry/

Stormsurge costs 330 pts. Blast cannon is the more expensive weapon. Driver cannon is Hvy 3d3, S10, AP-4, dmg 3, Blast. Cluster Rockets retain Blast ability. Built-in 4++.

Plasma rifle is Assault 1, S8, AP-4, Dmg 3.

Piranha assembly picture is incorrect. The burst cannon is AP 0 base. The fusion blaster is a heavier, vehicle-mounted specifically for the piranha. Crisis version remains d6 damage. Both types of FB get the new Melta treatment: +2 dmg at half range.

Dal'yth is the only Sept that buffs Aux units. No build-a-sept traits modify them.

Enforcer Commanders have DR -1 innately.

Nova Reactor no longer has a risk of damaging the model. Instead, it burns out for the rest of the battle if you fail the test. Branched Nova Reactor turns a failed test into a success.

There is a stratagem that allows a unit to hop out of a devilfish after the devilfish moves.

A Bork'an sept trait is "Ranged Attacks of S7 or less made against VEHICLES and BATTLESUITS are -1 strength" Like Ramshackle, but worse. Sleep in fear, Ork players.

Hammerhead Railgun is the only weapon that ignores Invuls innately.

Saviour Protocols is a Stratagem. It works on ANY unit (that has the same Sept as the Drone), but the drone model must be within 3" and dies as part of the strat.

Drone controllers boost the range to within 6"... but SS and Riptides can't have them.

Shield drones do not have FNP.

Yes. Markerlights are an action to add tokens to eligible targets. This is the part you're curious about, I believe

"Each time a Tau Empire unit (not Aux) is selected to shoot:

Each time a model in that unit makes a ranged attack against a unit with one or more Markerlight Tokens, add 1 to that attack's hit roll.

After that unit has finished making attacks, for each enemy unit targeted by those attacks, remove one Markerlight token from that enemy unit.

Remove all Markerlight tokens at the end of your shooting phase"

Broad side rail:

Heavy 2 S9, AP -4, d3+3 damage, 1 auto MW on successful wound

Ghostkeels:

They cost 160, cannot have an invulnerable save, and are patently terrible in melee. However, they are really quite obnoxious to shift. I think you'll find a good use for them.

on ghost keels, I think?

Can't be targeted if the attacker is more than 18" away (unless it's the closest eligible model.)

Ranged attacks are always at -1 to Hit. Comes with a Drone Controller stock for that 6" Saviour Protocols save.

Flare Launcher gives 5+++ vs. Ranged attacks with S7 or more

You can give the Prototype Early Warning Override that allows you to shoot out of phase at something that's come out of Reserves within 12" (choose between this and the Flare Launcher, unfortunately)

They have M12 and Fly, so they can shift with Strike and Fade if you need to. I don't think they're really good at forward deploying anymore, honestly. Maybe against a specific enemy.

if true wow. Ya they cant get a invuln.. but who cares if these are accurate

Ghostkeel is M12, WS5", BS 4+, S6, T7, W12, A 3, LD9, Sv 3+

CIR is 36" Heavy 6, S7, AP -2, D2. The overcharge version is +1 S and Dmg as normal. Every 1 to Hit causes a MW. Bless you if you can find a Reroll ability that works on them. (Yes, Shadowsun, her chapter master one does.)

Fusion Collider is 24" Heavy 3, S9, AP -4, D6, +2 dmg in half range

Riptides are Heavy Support now.

They have a 4++. The Reactor gives choice of 5+++, 2d6 move in the charge phase (but no charging afterward), or extra shots with main gun. (4 for Heavy Burst, 2 for IA)

RR1 support for non-Core is gone from the codex, so the Ion feels REAL dicey, as they still give 1 MW per 1 rolled, rather than a single MW IF a 1 is rolled at all.

Same goes for Ghostkeels (I got a tingling down my spine and didn't overcharge. 4 1's on that hit roll. Felt pretty smug) Ion Hammerheads, CIBs, Razorsharks... Sunsharks have Ion Rifles, which cap at 1 MW per weapon.

Their damage degradation is subtly worse than models with the same stats. A Hammerhead hits bottom profile at 3 wounds remaining, while a Riptide hits at 4. Both have T7 and W14.

Everything but the Ghostkeel degrades ALL the way to BS 6+ now. I don't know why the Keel does, but I'm wagering on GW forgetting to update it.

crisis suits W4, 30ppm base, 3-6 unit size. ATS is gone now. Most support systems are free (not shield generators) and they get a 4th hardpoint only for support systems.

The guns cost extra for multiples. So a weapon might be 10/15/20 to encourage taking a variety on each model.

punishing single weapon load outs

Fusion blaster: +10/+15/+25

so a triple crisis fusions is: 80 pts

A 3x FB Crisis Suit costs 80 Points. Further, 3x3 FB suits cost 240, 3x3 CIB costs 255, 3x3 PR costs 180: Total 675 for 3 squads. Or 9x FB/CIB/PR suits @ 55 ppm: 495 points.

Edited by Triszin

Some interesting stuff there. Serving the Tau'Va with great honour Triszin.

Disappointed in the lack of BS3+ for elites but I suppose the alleged markerlight changes may off-set this (certainly with being more consistent and seemingly not a thing that stops you from firing afterwards it appears or did I miss that clause?) with how it works (being +1BS is actually much better tbh).

Ghostkeels look...odd. Looking forward to that but do have wonders about how the forgeworld stuff is going to be.

-looks at his recently built duos of Y'Yahras and R'Varnas-

Hope they aren't left too far behind.

Riptide getting out good with that invulnerable change to be honest.

Also if that 4th slot thing for crisis suits is true that is great. Also nice to see encouraging taking variety load-outs but we'll see how well that pans outs.

So far, seems like just generally good buffs overall.

Happy though I have 2 Ghostkeels, 2 Riptides and a stormsurge...just missing hammerheads. Meh, who needs tanks when you have Giant Robots Imma right? After all, I dig giant robots, you dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots, we all dig giant robots!

I know, it isn't the greatest reference, but it is deep!

Lots of great things and also lots of not so great things. At least it looks like T'au will be viable again though.

However the absolute best news? Kroot with A2 S4 AP-1 with a pre-game move for 6ppm and Kroot Shaper finally moving to the HQ slot!

Fish of Fury Stratagem?

Yes!

My phone is being a pain and not allowing me to follow the reddit link but I'll take a look in a moment.

Swear I saw something about Shadowsun not breaking Sept Traits which is cool. Last time I played T'au Septs were just colour schemes and insignia as opposed to rules and I played Sa'cea with their grey scheme (the idea of them rapelling out of Devilfish in "Cities of Death was incredible). Would probably look into doing them again just for nostalgia.

Does anyone know if Darkstrider can be taken in any Sept? I don't have the 8E codex, and I don't know if that's changed in this one.

Debating whether I want to paint him red, would be awesome to be able to take him in FE.

Love the strategem for departing devilfish. I want to be able to try a really aggressive playstyle seizing forward objectives and deepstriking, so that's looking promising.

I wouldn't paint him red regardless. Even if you can take him with another Sept without breaking anything he'd still originate from the T'au Sept. He'd be wearing armor colored to fit the environment (ESPECIALLY him since he's a sneaky Pathfinder character) and have white Sept markings.

That being said the leaker didn't say anything about Darkstrider since he knew the article would be coming today and he didn't want to be a complete arse by spoiling everything beforehand. Unfortunately the article contains literally nothing new so maybe he'll leak his stats now.

I like the changes to the ghostkeel. A bit sad it can't take a shield gen,bit that works pricey make out easy to hard to kill with it's other rules.

Overall I really like the changes leaked so far

I’m going to pull from Richard Siegler’s success: I’m trying to categorize the updated units into how they can get primaries/secondaries or how they are good at eliminating enemy scorers.

I’m still hoping Remoras and Hazard suits get buffed, so we shall see.

I like the idea of a backfield Ghostkeel shooting units off the board, but I’m not sure if it would be better just to spend the points on a riptide.

I guess we're going to be big at eliminating enemy scorers but suck as much as before at taking them. I haven't really seen anything that would change the way T'au are played in that regard. Also the leaked secondaries in our book seem to be rather terrible.

I guess we're going to be big at eliminating enemy scorers but suck as much as before at taking them. I haven't really seen anything that would change the way T'au are played in that regard. Also the leaked secondaries in our book seem to be rather terrible.

The "control half or more objectives during montka/kauyon turns" is not bad at all, since it checks the control at the end of your turn. It should be doable with an aggressive Montka list.

The "control half or more objectives during montka/kauyon turns" is not bad at all, since it checks the control at the end of your turn. It should be doable with an aggressive Montka list.

Using speedy remoras and dropping Vespids will make those pretty easy to grab I think.

I think we will do just fine with objectives. Opponents will not want to get shot as much and due to our strong AP, most will be needing to hope their 4++ is going to hold. Not to mention, not a lot of armies can boast a troop choice that can legitimately being a problem even for big targets, massed pulse fire from fire warriors has always been a good way to get some extra chip damage in fairly consistently. Being able to wound anything on 5+ and never needing 6s is a big deal, even T8 targets need to respect our troops (or risk loosing wounds faster than they thing. Especially now with AP).

Remember, control isn't just about where you are, it is also where you can reach. If you can reach an objective with your guns, then your opponent can't exactly have it for free. Objective holders are good when they can hold objectives, not when they are dead.

And ho boy, it looks like we can make things dead quick!

Does anyone know if Darkstrider can be taken in any Sept? I don't have the 8E codex, and I don't know if that's changed in this one.

Debating whether I want to paint him red, would be awesome to be able to take him in FE.

Love the strategem for departing devilfish. I want to be able to try a really aggressive playstyle seizing forward objectives and deepstriking, so that's looking promising.

No, Darkstrider is locked to Tau Sept only

So, is it just me or are the Krootox looking super strong this edition? So to go over the changes we "know"

- Down to 25 points.

- Can advance (auto 6) and shoot with Mont'Ka if in Dal'Yth sept.

- Shooting RF1 48" S: 7 AP: -1 D: D3 (May go to 2, still unconfirmed?)

- M: 7" WS: 3+, BS: 4+, S: 6, T: 5, W: 4, Sv: 6+, A: 4 at AP: -2, D: 2

- Don't take up FO if taken with Carnivores. 

- Additional +1sv in cover. 

That seems really good. Even in the open with a 6+ sv, Tough 5, Wounds 4 doesn't exactly just fall over. If your opponent is using their big damage stuff on these guys, it also means they are not using it on things like your Crisis teams. 

You get to move 13" (with the auto advance), then shoot with an extra AP and re-roll 1 to wound (because Mont'ka). Next turn you're in range to charge with 12 Str: 6, AP-2 D:2 attacks. 

That's a heck of a lot of value for only 75 points. I've got 6 that I'm going to use for sure, but damn this really makes me want to get more. Why can't they be in plastic already?! T.T  

Edited by Tawnis

Krootox have been okay before the new codex already. The problem as usual is though that they don't benefit from markerlights, sept tenets and so on. Also it's not like most people have the models lying around since they are fairly old and still finecast.

Krootox have been okay before the new codex already. The problem as usual is though that they don't benefit from markerlights, sept tenets and so on. Also it's not like most people have the models lying around since they are fairly old and still finecast.

Yeah I've been using them with the old dex and they were fine. Not great, not bad, just fine. They look so much better now. 

With all the Kroot changes, I really think we're going to get a Kill Team Release with Kroot vs something that's going to bring them out in plastic. Fingers crossed. 

The Kroot Kill Team release is just a matter of time since we already got rules for them. What exactly it will contain is up in the air though. I can see them just re-using the current models again as well.

I really doubt they'll release old resin models as part of a new box set. Maybe they might keep the old Carnivore models with something like an upgrade sprue, (they do still hold up surprisingly well), but I think we get new Krootox and Hounds for sure. 

I'm hoping it's the next release, we have one scheduled for between now and the end of March, it would be perfect timing to line up with the Tau codex (yeah I know we just got Pathfinders but as far as KT is concerned, they are separate armies.) 

I'm taking the plunge.

When the Stormrsurge first came out, i bought one just because i thought it was a great model, and then recently I've managed to nab the Start Collecting set at a decent price.

With that in mind, what should I be looking to add to make a small playable force, based on what we know from the new book?

I only play casual with friends so not looking to go too mad in terms of meta builds etc.

Thanks in advance!