Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Joe

look I've prayed to it, gave it some percussive maintenance and uttered the verses of approved grumbling what else am I to do? emulate windows 95 in VMware and install it virtually? bah (read: is very lazy) 

Edited by Mechanicus Tech-Support

look I've prayed to it, gave it some percussive maintenance and uttered the verses of approved grumbling what else am I to do? emulate windows 95 in VMware and install it virtually? bah (read: is very lazy)

It’s available on gog I believe

Were you burning incense and swinging the censer in time to the background music of a dial-up modem? 

If not no wonder it didn't work.

...the incense and dial-up, but of course! 

In all seriousness I did try the GoG version ages ago with my old PC but it had sooo many issues. Even after I got it running by adjusting the cultist las pistol in the files and fiddling with some windows settings I found that one of the later maps was corrupted and would crash it immediately :teehee: :sweat:  

I may head to GoG and give it another go, tinkering with it will be ample penance for missing the incense and modem noises.

From that brief trailer, it does look like it's channelling serious amounts of XCom 2, which is good.  However, it does look like it's got the idea of Chaos Gate behind it.  Overall, I'm quietly relieved, but graphically it does look a little bit like an upgraded mobile game, which is irksome... Hopefully it can be modded for some hi-res stuff.

I just watched the trailer and I'm very interested now. Kicking through a wall and pushing a stone pillar onto an enemy both look like a lot of fun.

From that brief trailer, it does look like it's channelling serious amounts of XCom 2, which is good.  However, it does look like it's got the idea of Chaos Gate behind it.  Overall, I'm quietly relieved, but graphically it does look a little bit like an upgraded mobile game, which is irksome... Hopefully it can be modded for some hi-res stuff.

My first thought was "XCOM 2 40K Edition? SICK." 

• 2 weeks later...

"When a Grey Knight fires his weapon, he does so with absolute certainty that it will strike his opponent."

*Video clip shows Grey Knight missing half his Psycannon shots on stationary target 10 meters away*

Not arsed, if the in-game effect is that the shots land. If this isn't going to have random chance to hit then that is a major upside for me (the frequency with which you seem to miss 90%+ shots being one of my only bugbears with XCOM). If I wanted a chance to just completely fluff my turn by missing my attacks I'd just play tabletop 40k.

"When a Grey Knight fires his weapon, he does so with absolute certainty that it will strike his opponent."

*Video clip shows Grey Knight missing half his Psycannon shots on stationary target 10 meters away*

Not arsed, if the in-game effect is that the shots land. If this isn't going to have random chance to hit then that is a major upside for me (the frequency with which you seem to miss 90%+ shots being one of my only bugbears with XCOM). If I wanted a chance to just completely fluff my turn by missing my attacks I'd just play tabletop 40k.

The AI cheats in Xcom normal and up, thats why your misses are more pronounced at 90% when you are actually at a normal stat range for missing. Also confirmation bias, you are remembering the misses more than the hits. Cheating AI and confirmation bias has just made it look unfair to your hit rate which is not nerfed.

The AI needs to cheat in games like this because the human is smarter. No one wants to spend the money making an AI for vidya that more mimicks a human, so they cheat with buffed hidden stats, free/ ghost units , recourses, ignore penalties/ game mechanics etc.

The AI cheats in Xcom normal and up, thats why your misses are more pronounced at 90% when you are actually at a normal stat range for missing. Also confirmation bias, you are remembering the misses more than the hits. Cheating AI and confirmation bias has just made it look unfair to your hit rate which is not nerfed.

The AI needs to cheat in games like this because the human is smarter. No one wants to spend the money making an AI for vidya that more mimicks a human, so they cheat with buffed hidden stats, free/ ghost units, recourses, ignore penalties/ game mechanics etc.

That's all very lovely, but the fact remains that I prefer to roll dice on the tabletop, not in a video game.