Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Joe

The AI cheats in Xcom normal and up, thats why your misses are more pronounced at 90% when you are actually at a normal stat range for missing. Also confirmation bias, you are remembering the misses more than the hits. Cheating AI and confirmation bias has just made it look unfair to your hit rate which is not nerfed.

The AI needs to cheat in games like this because the human is smarter. No one wants to spend the money making an AI for vidya that more mimicks a human, so they cheat with buffed hidden stats, free/ ghost units, recourses, ignore penalties/ game mechanics etc.

That's all very lovely, but the fact remains that I prefer to roll dice on the tabletop, not in a video game.

You play mechanicus? It's got a lot of the XCOM feel without any inherent miss chance.

You play mechanicus? It's got a lot of the XCOM feel without any inherent miss chance.

I did play it, enjoyed it a lot :yes:

It's a difficult game in its own right without hit shenanigans. It uses an AP system to regulate you instead. Chaos gate looks like it has a doomsday countdown like mechanicus. Probably encourages multiple fast paced runs than a long slog. Wouldn't mind a long slog option.

New video today, based on the targetting system within the game :smile.:

https://youtu.be/yUZQsrGivfQ

Nice, so looks like theyve gone for a mashup of mechanicus style shooting (always hits, damage based more on weapon types/enemy armour), and xcom terrain/cover/desctructable scenery. This is good.

HAving melee combat thrown in looks interesting too...although only being able to disable an opponents ranged weapon via melee seems a bit counter intuitive??

Am now interested for sure though, love me a turn based strategy, and spent many hours back in the day on original xcoms and choas gate. Will depend really on how deep the RPG/campaign element is as to this being good or great I think.

I did play it, enjoyed it a lot :yes:

It's a difficult game in its own right without hit shenanigans. It uses an AP system to regulate you instead. Chaos gate looks like it has a doomsday countdown like mechanicus. Probably encourages multiple fast paced runs than a long slog. Wouldn't mind a long slog option.

Im not sure - mechanicus you always ended up at the end of the countdown no matter how you played (you could delay quite a lot once you learn the mechanisms, but thats it).

The trailer for CGDH.. they make it sound like if you hit the end of the 'countdown' - you are dead as the entire sector is eaten by the warp. Unless its an eaten by the warp end boss haha. Also sounds like there may be permadeath for characters as default as it says 'titan can provide you with new knights' (from memory in Mechanicus that was only an option in hard mode?? Has been a while since i played that though!).

My sceptical eye earlier has been disproven, on the face of it!  I've been watching all of the videos on their YouTube page, and I'm honestly really looking forward to it now.  I hope they'll put out a walkthrough for a mission at some point soon so I can make up my mind completely.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems this thread could do with a bit of an update. You'll all want to check out the latest video in particular, for its quick words from ADB and the reveal at the end:

Enemy Showcase - Aeger the Benevolent

Enemy Showcase - Apostate Preacher

Enemy Showcase - Foetid Bloat-Drone

Enemy Showcase - Helbrute

Enemy Showcase - Myphitic Blight-Haler

Enemy Showcase - Plague Marine

There's something about this that makes me think mobile phone game. Particularly when compared to the Space Wolf, or Knight games.

I wonder how much it'll affect canon- given that ADB is involved. Normally I'd suspect it'd end with you defeating Mortarion, then he escapes saying "Curses- you've defeated me again. But I'll see you next week Grey Knights" like a saturday morning kids cartoon. However ADB is a pretty heavy hitter in the world of 40k canon so the game might be more significant.

• 2 months later...

Key takeaway from this video in case people can't/won't watch it is that the GK Grand Master is being voiced by Andy Serkis, which is pretty top-tier.

EDIT - Suppose it's also worth mentioning the release date :biggrin.: which is May 5 and priced at £34.99 for the standard edition which is pretty reasonable these days!

Edited by Halandaar

But as a daemon it doesn't matter if he's killed; because being killed just means being banished, and with the rift and surge of chaos power it isn't even necessarily for a long time.

I mean, that's the problem because characters like Morty and Celestine can't truly die they're turned into punching bags so the protagonists can look BADASS consequence free, but this in turn makes the resurrected characters look pathetically weak when they're the only major characters we ever see 'dying'.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I’d love one that was actually more like xcom than this, I’d also have preferred a deathwatch based one with some character customisation and chapter specific abilities, think chapter instead of country from xcom and add some unique traits based on chapter. Would be grand.

Total Warhammer 40K might be interesting too if done right