Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Smoke Frog

Some really good chain work, you can definitely feel the BT influence in your force.

Really like the lore behind the disgraced Templars as well, very forlorn hero feel with them battling on as their bodies fail one by one.

Happy to see you printed symbols turned out well this time, try and use some Lahmian medium when putting them on around the edges and it helps blend it into the paint so you not get a visible ledge from the transfer, I know it’s a small ledge which is hard to see at table level when gaming but if it bugs you it’s a good fix.

More I look at your force the more I love your weathering, it’s really hard to get right and yours is spot on, not to much, not too thick and with a nice transition to armour colour, great work all round.

Some really good chain work, you can definitely feel the BT influence in your force.

Really like the lore behind the disgraced Templars as well, very forlorn hero feel with them battling on as their bodies fail one by one.

Happy to see you printed symbols turned out well this time, try and use some Lahmian medium when putting them on around the edges and it helps blend it into the paint so you not get a visible ledge from the transfer, I know it’s a small ledge which is hard to see at table level when gaming but if it bugs you it’s a good fix.

More I look at your force the more I love your weathering, it’s really hard to get right and yours is spot on, not to much, not too thick and with a nice transition to armour colour, great work all round.

Thanks! I am a big fan of the Templars, they are my first chosen 40K love.

I am looking forward to continuing learning how to improve on transfers and weathering.

~~~

Next Deathwatch marine painted up, Brother Loch of the Dark Krakens

gallery_103048_17086_181582.jpg

Naktis Local: “But sir, that monster is hundreds of metres long! It has already destroyed the other boats, and could easily rip this galley in half! How do you intend to defeat it in open water?!?”

Marine aspirant holds up weapons: “With this spear and bone knife. Be ready to depart when I swim back.”

gallery_103048_17086_189728.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Loch

Duty Position: Intercessor armed with assault bolt rifle and grenade launcher

Chapter Name: Dark Krakens

Successor of: Salamanders (Ultima Founding)

Homeworld: Naktis

gallery_103048_17086_196371.jpg

There is very little information so far on the Dark Krakens in official lore considering there were only invented in the last few years as an alternate scheme from GW. There fluff blurb is the most interesting to me out of all the Ultima Salamander successors, it conjures up images of an Avatar-like bioluminescent world but completely underwater, with glowing coral reefs, glowing jellyfish larger than boats, and predators as large as starships for the native population to hunt. Aside from the flora and fauna, I imagine the locals to live in a varied mix of hobbled together oceangoing vessels; think Waterworld post-apolcalyptic raft culture meets Kowloon Walled City on Chinese-style junk ships, with a bunch of decrepit neon signs to go with it.

Better shot of the chapter symbol:

gallery_103048_17086_246322.jpg

Anyway, it was fun to include the chapter symbol for this brand-new Chapter, even though I couldn’t get the transfer to work.

I am glad to have six Deathwatch marines up and painted, ready to play kill team!

gallery_103048_17086_356078.jpg

My Anti-Aircraft tank is essentially complete, I just forgot to paint the front headlights before I took pictures. Good enough to share though!

gallery_103048_17086_279646.jpg

Xenos are not pets. Xenos are for target practice. –Sergeant Braxis of the Yellowjackets

gallery_103048_17086_66972.jpg

Rear view of the vehicle, along with Ryza-marking. Due to the affiliation of the watch-fortress with the Ryza, most vehicles and tech-adepts of the fortress hail from that forgeworld.

Also it ties in well with the small Adeptus Mechanicus army I have already built.

gallery_103048_17086_215810.jpg

This Stalker-pattern Anti-Aircraft platform is crewed by its stormbolter gunner, Brother Jerref of the Yellowjackets.

gallery_103048_17086_54939.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Jerref

Duty Position: Stormbolter Gunner, Whirlwind Stalker anti-aircraft platform

Chapter Name: Yellowjackets

Successor of: unknown, first records seem to appear during the Horus Heresy and Great Scouring

Homeworld: Chagorum

gallery_103048_17086_249462.jpg

While the true origins of the Yellowjackets is unknown, they were put to good use by Roboute Guilliman in his role as High Lord of Terra to covertly seek out and destroy pockets of resistance that continued to flare up in the dying days of the Great Scouring, to include cults and kabals seeded by the Alpha Legion. There gene-seed stock is still of uncertain origin however, and this is further compounded by their strange traditions when it comes to expanding their numbers. Instead of a training period for the neophytes of the chapter, aspirants are placed in large sarcophagi, hexagonal in shape, where the recruits are injected with fluids and other genetic compounds to transform them into fully-fledged marines when they emerge many months, or even years, later. As such the chapter has no scouts within their ranks, instead relying on the talents of phobos-equipped troops to fulfill the reconnaissance role.

gallery_103048_17086_226268.jpg

One very dirty attempt at a transfer and Brother Jerref has his shoulder pad heraldry. Could use some more work but I am done struggling with him for now.

I have some old notes from 2012 back when I was thinking of starting a Yellowjackets army, inspired by the work done by Jeff Durochia in the 1994 Golden Daemon Chapter Design. I never built one of course, but I want to include a few of this unique looking chapter within my Deathwatch force.

gallery_103048_17086_42361.jpg

The Stalker (and Hunter) tanks may not be the most competitive choices to include in a space marine force, but I really liked the look of the stalker and wanted to include it in my force. Would love to drive and operate one of these…

Here is the Hunter variant:

gallery_103048_17086_332808.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_25524.jpg

Also marked due to its origin at forgeworld Ryza:

gallery_103048_17086_407.jpg

It would be awesome if their rules were tweaked in such a way that they were effective against any units that have the ability to fly. Why wouldn’t one of these things be effective against a Tau drone? Or a dark elder raider or elder wave serpent? That might make them too OP though…

One final picture of my attempt at the radar viewscreen in the vehicles interior:

gallery_103048_17086_266328.jpg

Edited by Smoke Frog

Honesty don’t think you need to improve your weathering, you’ve nailed it.

Some great freehand work and the squad really looks the part, my only criticism is that in some areas the paint is a little thin but otherwise spot on.

Also great work on the stalker and interior, it really helps make it pop.

Your just churning out the good stuff lately, damn. ;)

Edited by Duke Danse Macabre

Thanks! The Deathwatch are my focus right now while I wait for more parts for my Eldar force. I have a few more Deathwatch infantry on the table today to keep working on:

gallery_103048_17086_167824.jpg

I also went ahead and did a mock up to add for the helmet coloration of my watch fortress:

gallery_103048_17086_72813.png

Pretty simple-

Veterans (all Deathwatch start as Veterans): Black Helmet

Veteran Sergeant: Black Helmet, Green stripe, silver skull

Lieutenant: Black Helmet, Green and white stripe, silver skull

Captain: Black Helmet, gold skull

Eldar you say...

My disappointment knows no bounds. ;)

I like how you have worked out your command paint job, I’ve been debating doing different highlights on the left silver arm and capes but helmet wise It’s a bit more fluid, this is the real benefit from planning out a force from the ground up before starting.

Mine was started pre Dex with metal pads so allot needs updating.

First Aggressor marine is complete, Brother Luzorian of the Dark Angels.

gallery_103048_17086_222883.jpg

“Without the Dark, there can be no Light… without the Lie, there can be no Truth.” – paraphrased from the Book of the Astronomican

gallery_103048_17086_80214.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Luzorian

Duty Position: Aggressor, armed with dual boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launchers

Chapter Name: Dark Angels (1st Company- Deathwing)

Homeworld: Caliban (destroyed), The Rock

gallery_103048_17086_62821.jpg

This model was my second attempt at sculpting a hood, and was a bit more successful than my first (haven't painted that guy yet though). I think he captured the “assassins creed hood” look I was going for, but next time I need to smooth it out better. I didn’t have white Dark Angels transfers handy when I started painting this guy, so instead I printed out some red ones and made him part of the Deathwing instead. Turns out the transfer was really effective!

I have noticed the only transfers that seem to work are very dark transfers over a light surface. Light colors do not hold up over a dark surface.

gallery_103048_17086_254517.jpg

Hope you like him, I think he is my favorite marine I have painted for this force so far.

Luzorian looks the part, love the effort you have gone to with the greenstuffing .

I personally hate having to make cloth with it and hard to pull off, it’s turned out pretty well.

Three things I think really help with greenstuffing is Vaseline, rubber paint brushes (just rubber instead of Brussels in different shapes works like a cross between a brush and a sculpting tool without being too hard/sharp or leaving marks, cling film/ foil and a glass rolling pin to layer it out without marks, you can use things like ice lolly sticks either side of the rolling pin to help get the right thickness.

You’ve got some great detail on the piece, great work on the bone shoulder pad and excellent work on the transfer, really blends in, can’t see the edges, also nice touch with the old oop fantasy basing gear I can see worked in there, you’ve done a good job at removing the edges and building the basing up to hide the ridges. (The effort your making with all the little trinkets, extra bits, etc really adds to the force and makes it unique, I know this is allot of effort and annoying to need serious time to make each unit and not just out of the box but it’s worth it, I know sometimes it can seem like a pain but the love really shows)

Personally I can’t look at the guy with that huge jaw and massive sneer without thinking of old judge dread and I love it. Lol

Thanks!

I finished this guy the same day as the Dark Angel, but didn't paint his base rim until today so here he is: Brother Xbal, from a custom chapter the Brotherhood of the Midnight Sun

gallery_103048_17086_85479.jpg

On their deathworld home, the Brotherhood fights a never-ending campaign of extermination deep in the caves deep beneath the verdant jungles. Amongst a labyrinth of cenotes, caves, traps and hazards lives a terrifying and vicious mutant humanoid population that seek only to hunt the planets human inhabitants for food and sport. It is the task of the Brotherhood to keep the human population of Xibalba from the brink of extinction.

The chapter was known to have not sent members to the deathwatch for several centuries until recently, when a twin pair of battle-brothers arrived at watch fortress Sentinel IX to stand their vigil.

gallery_103048_17086_21925.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Xbal

Duty Position: Intercessor armed with assault bolt rifle and stormshield for close-quarters, urban, and ship-boarding operations. Also owns a traditional chapter mace (power maul)

Chapter Name: Brotherhood of the Midnight Sun

Successor of: presumed Blood Angels, suspected Night lords (21st ‘Cursed’ Founding)

Homeworld: Xibalba

Chapter Specialties: jungle and night combat, close quarters, ambush and stealth

gallery_103048_17086_40065.jpg

This marine is inspired by a fan-made chapter I came across on a wiki with a fantastic look inspired by Mesoamerican cultures. I loved the chapter symbol (though the name is a bit long), and after reading some of the backstory and about the possible Night Lords lineage, I was hooked. The center of the badge turned out good on the transfer but none of the rest of it did, so I just painted the rest on.

gallery_103048_17086_8656.jpg

I was also inspired by user ST.Lararus ’s use of stormshields in his intercessor units, reason being that for certain boarding actions/close quarters combat they could prove useful if given to a single member of the squad to act as the lead breacher. I also really liked the way ST.Lararus painted the eyes for all the black helmets in his army and tried to imitate it on the black helmets.

Brother Xbal also is magnetized so I can run him in kill team with the power maul/storm shield option.

gallery_103048_17086_78354.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_44534.jpg

Final parting shot of my best attempt at the chapter heraldry:

gallery_103048_17086_142109.jpg

Turned out great, really like the effort where you have weathered the bottom of the shield, easy to miss small things like that.

I think you’ve done a good job utilising lizardmen bits and your chapter design to give a more Mayan/Aztec feel without falling into salamanders territory. 

Right on the coattails of Brother Xbal being complete are my last four marines for my first deathwatch team!

gallery_103048_17086_46482.jpg

From left to right: Brotherhood of the Midnight Sun, Blood Drinkers, Minotaurs, Salamanders, Red Templars.

Got a bunch of pictures to show today, starting with Brother Ek Chak of the Blood Drinkers:

gallery_103048_17086_190185.jpg

The planet San Guisaga, known as Azca to the locals, is a pre-industrial Feudal world known for its blood-red skies and dense jungles which cover the majority of the planet’s single massive continent. The many ruined cities the pierce the jungle canopies are now battlegrounds for the tribal kingdoms that call the planet home, who fight amongst each other for resources, farmland, and captives for human sacrifice. The Blood Drinkers chapter are seen as the gods made flesh to the native Guisagans, who both offer sacrifices to them in their own temples, as well as tithing a portion of their population to the marines themselves once every cycle of 52 years. The living offerings are taken across the Inland Sea in watercraft to the Temple of Blood, the massive fortress-monastery of the Blood Drinkers. Those deemed fit for service are inducted into the ranks of the marines themselves, those that are not are never seen again…

gallery_103048_17086_137471.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Ek Chak

Duty Position: Intercessor armed with assault bolt rifle

Chapter Name: Blood Drinkers

Successor of: Blood Angels (Second Founding)

Homeworld: San Guisaga (in high Gothic), Azca (in native language)

gallery_103048_17086_140273.jpg

Chapter symbol:

gallery_103048_17086_101705.jpg

As you have already figured out, I am a big fan of Mayan history (hence why WHF Lizardmen are always going to be my true favorites) and was excited to include some Mayan and other Mesoamerican influences in some of my deathwatch marines. The Blood Drinkers seemed like a perfect candidate to put some of this influence into a more established, higher-profile chapter. I had plans to make an army of these red power-armored warriors with a Mesoamerican flavor, but that never materialized, so for now they will be included in my deathwatch force.

I was very much inspired by this marine I saw a while back on coolminiornot:

gallery_103048_17086_25847.jpg

In turn, this marine looks like he is inspired by Aztec war costumes, as depicted in manuscripts dating back to the Spanish conquests of Mexico.

gallery_103048_17086_6755.jpg

I used this inspiration when tweaking the Blood Drinkers chapter symbol, which also harkens back to the Rogue Trader version of the olden days:

gallery_103048_17086_38548.jpg

It goes without saying that none of the lore or backstory for this particular model is in any “official” wiki. In my head-cannon, the Blood Drinkers and all the names used in official 40K documents are what is recorded in the “Gothic” language used in universe, but in reality they have a whole separate language used for day-to-day activities inspired by the culture of their homeworld, hence San Guisaga/Azca.

A fun project, would make a great 40K force all its own!

~~~

Next is Brother Diodorus of the Minotaurs:

gallery_103048_17086_191878.jpg

Where once they were known as beserkers and savages, the Minotaurs today seem to have mastered their former curse. Equipped with the finest arms and materials the Imperium can provide at the hands of their mysterious benefactors, they are at the forefront of several campaigns across the galaxy to enforce the will of the Imperium.

gallery_103048_17086_35565.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Diodorus

Duty Position: Hellblaster, armed with assault plasma incinerator

Chapter Name: Minotaurs

Successor of: Unknown (Cursed 21st Founding)

Homeworld: Fleet Based

gallery_103048_17086_92591.jpg

Not much to say on this guy. I love the model of their chapter master, so I wanted to include a Minotaur within the ranks. I also like how they are rumored to be under the direct authority and orders of the High Lords of Terra, and also possibly the descendants of loyalist Iron Warriors.

Took a long time to decide if I wanted to use the old chapter icon or the more updated, “Spartan” look of the new one. In the end the transfer I used and the metal shoulder pad frosted over a bit during the matte-varnish phase, so it doesn't look as great as it did before. Looks a tiny bit better in person at least.

gallery_103048_17086_22240.jpg

That post was a long one so I decided to split it up.

Following the Minotaur is Brother Rau'ganth of the Salamanders chapter:

gallery_103048_17086_223560.jpg

Since the days of the Great Crusade, the Pyroclasts were renowned for their flame weaponry and ability to destroy their enemies in a hellstorm of fire. Today, the Third Company of the Salamanders is known for its grim duty of purging populations condemned as heretics of xenos sympathizers.

gallery_103048_17086_235456.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Rau’ganth

Chapter Name: Salamanders (3rd Company, the Pyroclasts)

Homeworld: Nocturne

gallery_103048_17086_204110.jpg

Like the Dark Kraken marine, the Salamander model was another great excuse to use some leftover Lizardmen bits, as well as test out another skin tone. Considering the huge amount of lore out there, it is fantastic to show just how unique each of these marines could be with skin changes, trophies, and helmet swaps. I can’t say I was ever a huge fan of the Salamanders as a chapter, being more of a fan of Dark Angels green than Salamander green, but they are still green so that works for me.

That being said, the transfer I tried to use completely failed, and my final freehand attempt turned out pretty derpy :ermm:

gallery_103048_17086_49740.jpg

I am planning to go back and try a transfer again, and maybe just paint it orange after it is on so I can use the transfer as a guide.

Anyway, the skin tone turned out ok, but does blend a bit too much with his armor. If I do a salamander again I will attempt either a really really dark brown skin tone, or just have the marine wear a helmet :happy.:

gallery_103048_17086_112876.jpg

~~~

Onto the final marine for my first kill team: Brother Giles of the Red Templars!

gallery_103048_17086_118802.jpg

“…the piles of dead were stacked like unto mountains, and searing pyres burnt the slain enemy such that night was turned to day for a season or more. Thus was the Twelfth and final Great Battle won. In this way the sacred lands of the [redacted] scoured of evil, and its people made safe.” – as recorded by Adelrond

gallery_103048_17086_1778.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Giles

Chapter Name: Red Templars

Successor of: Imperial Fists

Homeworld: Unknown

gallery_103048_17086_51871.jpg

Always need to have more Templars in the ranks! The Red Templars have a simple color scheme reminiscent of ancient lost Bretonnia, so another natural fit considering I have some of the old transfers on hand. My initial plan was to use a bearded Necromunda head from the Van Saar box but it didn’t look good, so I swapped it for a regular helmet.

gallery_103048_17086_170827.jpg

Side note, the quote is from the last Bretonnian army book, “History of Bretonnia.” Brother Giles is named in honor of the long departed Gilles le Breton. I imagine there homeworld is also a feudal world reminiscent of Bretonnia as well.

Long Live Bretonnia!

gallery_103048_17086_140654.jpg

With Brother Giles painted up, my first fortis kill team is complete!

I present Kill Team Burchard, 2nd Company of Watch Fortress Sentinel IX:

gallery_103048_17086_260391.jpg

Displaying home chapter heraldry:

gallery_103048_17086_83254.jpg

Chapter heraldry from left to right:

• Bottom Row: Marines Malevolent, Blood Drinker, Blackshield (The Remnant), Dark Krakens, Brotherhood of the Midnight Sun
  • Top Row: Ultramarines, Minotaurs, Salamanders, Stars of Dorn, Red Templars

The primaris Intercessors and their auto bolt rifles:

gallery_103048_17086_197116.jpg

And the primaris hellblasters with there plasma weapons:

gallery_103048_17086_70124.jpg

Glad my first batch of Deathwatch marines is all complete! They all have their squad #2 on their right kneepads now thanks to my latest order of white transfers, except for Brother Tex of the Stars of Dorn due to his status as my initial test marine.

I think the squad has a lot of character on the whole, and it was fun to try out different skin tones for the first time.

gallery_103048_17086_292812.jpg

Looking forward to painting more marines!

I swear I’m going to kill myself trying to keep up, for a second I had thought you may of slowed down.

How wrong I was... lol

The whole teams turned out great and the subtle differences really stand out.

The longer you look at each model the more you notice, it’s effort like that which really makes a force stand out.

Thanks!

I swear I’m going to kill myself trying to keep up, for a second I had thought you may of slowed down.

How wrong I was... lol

More marines are always needed to stand the long vigil!

Truthfully this army feels like it is going really slow for me. I am used to painting an entire unit at a time like with my samurai army I have been working on for a few years. But with these deathwatch marines I find myself painting each one individually instead, it feels more natural that way due to wanting them to look like different chapters!

~~~

Additionally on the Deathwatch News Network, the first Apothecary for Sentinel IX has joined the campaign: Apothecary Agamenus of the Sons of Medusa

gallery_103048_17086_180014.jpg

The Sons of Medusa hold Navigators in high regard, for it is they who are able to pierce the warp and able to behold the light of the Astronomicum. By beholding the holy light of the Emperor, they can perceive the minute fluctuations within the flickering beacon so precious to the adherents of the Moriae doctrine.

gallery_103048_17086_51154.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Agamenus

Duty Position: Apothecary

Chapter Name: Sons of Medusa, Atropos War Clan

Successor of: Iron Hands (Moriae Schism)

Homeworld: Fleet Based, monastery in fortified asteroids of Taelus

gallery_103048_17086_172510.jpg

I am always a fan of green space marines, and the Sons of Medusa are no exception. They are one of the earliest schemes I remember looking at in an old 40K rulebook, and are a strong contender if I ever make that Iron Hands army I have in the back of my mind. In the lore, the Sons of Medusa had a strong Apothecarium presence in their ranks, so naturally my apothecary had to be one.

gallery_103048_17086_80822.jpg

The chapter badge is one of the transfers I bought in a recent purchase, I was happy that it went on so clean.

Also enjoyed the basing materials that came with the model itself:

gallery_103048_17086_428833.jpg

Fun model to do, little fiddly with the robot arms on his backpack though.

My heart also goes out to all those white scars painters out there... I had a really hard time with the white helmet! Need more practice making the paint look less thick...

gallery_103048_17086_24260.jpg

Apothecary has turned out well and I like the vivid hue to the cabling and vials to insinuate liquids.

The basing has turned out well also but the blood i the wounds looks a littlw flat and dry in the fallen brother unlike the geneseed in palm, not sure if you used ardcoat or blood for the blood god but a little drip there I think would be really good.

That is a good call, I will probably use some gloss varnish to shiny the blood parts up a bit more.

I am nearly complete with my Suppressors, but decided to put together my contemptor dreadnought last night instead:

gallery_103048_17086_353857.jpg

He is just the bog-standard out-of-the-box contemptor, nothing crazy from forgeworld but I had fun chopping him up to give him a small repose. Wish I had turned the head a bit more though.

Also magnetized his arms at the elbows for any future weapon swaps. I hear double volkites are good? Might have to get some of those... or perhaps convert up some good lascannons or necron-inspired proxies.

gallery_103048_17086_78362.jpg

Great work with the reposing, it’s a pain but the static one is painful.

Is that an Aquilla off the top armour of a imperial knight you have beans around the front armour of the Contemptor?

It’s a really nice touch.

I have a part Painted chaplain dread a keep meaning to finish to use as a venerable but not being able to get the old Black Templars Venerable dread has me in a bit of a funk on that one.

I would say let’s see who gets theirs painted first but my bet is you already have the base colours done. Lol ;)

I do like the chaplain dread model, and I agree the FW Black Templars dreadnought is one of the best of the bunch. 

The Aquila just below his helmet one of the two small Aquilas that came in the AA stalker/hunter box, but I am pretty sure they are standard in any Rhino-chassis kit. All I did was gently bend it so it looked better on the rounded armor plate. 

I personally really loved the look of the contemptor dreadnoughts when they first came out, but the FW ones are so expensive! Looking forward to making his banner and other armor adornments. 

Shame FW discontinued it, been trying to find one online second hand for ages.

They do, wasn’t sure if you used the curved one from the imperial knight or if you were able to bend one to fit.

I try not to think about all the money I have spent on FW over the years, The plastic one is just as good for the most part with reposing, shame about the head though, it’s a nightmare to shift.

I would say it’s worth drilling the assault cannon, easy to miss with the resin being pre done kinda.

You thinking about picking up any extra weapon types or keeping this one as is?

personally I’m a fan of the two twin lass cannons and cyclone mortis variant.

I would say it’s worth drilling the assault cannon, easy to miss with the resin being pre done kinda.

I wasn't sure where to drill on the assault cannon, but plan to get back to it before paitning if I remember.

I was thinking of printing some volkite guns, but I have a few lascannon bits lying around so I may make an arm or two of those. And I also just got some necron weapons I may try and convert up as well. 

I wasn't sure where to drill on the assault cannon, but plan to get back to it before paitning if I remember.

I was thinking of printing some volkite guns, but I have a few lascannon bits lying around so I may make an arm or two of those. And I also just got some necron weapons I may try and convert up as well. 

your best on each barrel using the same size drill bit as you use for Bolters, mark the star point first with a fresh knight point and twirl it in the centre to make a slight indent for the drill to start to avoid it going off to the side.

Sounds daft but it helps provided the blade you use has a sharp point.

Volkite are meant to be good but your better off trying to wait for the real deal over converting based on Xenos tech, aside from the obvious tech heresy they send to be spindly and we need blocky.

Really depends how far down the conversion rabbit hole you want to go, it would be easy enough to design a Dreadnought pistol with jagged front for weapon options if you really wanted to, just going to be allot of work.

Good news! My first few miniatures from the Vanguard box are now complete. Presenting Suppressor Squad Epsilon, Sentinel IX 4th Company Auxiliary Support.

gallery_103048_17086_124542.jpg

It's a shame these guys don't come in a separate box, but I managed to do some minor pose changes and added a few bits to make them look cool. Especially happy with how the sergeant turned out.

Sergeant Osagaya Cole of the Desert Crows:

gallery_103048_17086_11636.jpg

The ‘Desertum Corvi¸’ in low gothic known as the Desert Crows, hail from the arid world of Geronimo V. Expert ambushers and guerilla fighters, they are drawn from the ranks of a hardy and self-sufficient nomadic people well adapted to slay the beasts that stalk the red plains and canyons of their world, from the deadly scorpions the size of a tank, to the giant flying pterosaurs the size of thunderhawks.

gallery_103048_17086_187456.jpg

Marine Name: Sergeant Osagaya Cole

Duty Position: Suppressor Sergeant armed with accelerator autocannon and jetpack

Chapter Name: Desert Crows

Successor of: Raven Guard

Homeworld: Geronimo V

gallery_103048_17086_228780.jpg

The suppressor sergeant was originally going to be a Raven Guard, but I came across and used this fanmade chapter instead. Wiki article is arritbuted to Kabronex. I have also came across some of his artwork in his blog, as well as a post on deviant art. Really nice artwork!

Final parting shot of Osagaya for this post to show off his bandana and bird-skull trophy, next post will be the other two!

gallery_103048_17086_174906.jpg

Representing one of the First Founding legions, here is Brother Yabutai of the White Scars:

gallery_103048_17086_99975.jpg

“If you had not committed great sins, the Emperor would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” -attributed to Jaghatai Khan, primarch of the White Scars during the Great Crusade.

gallery_103048_17086_155006.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Yabutai

Duty Position: Suppressor armed with accelerator autocannon and jetpack

Chapter Name: White Scars

Homeworld: Chorogis/Mundus Planus (native tongue/high gothic)

gallery_103048_17086_8285.jpg

The White Scars are an interesting chapter, but for my money I love the version of the White Scars from the Dornian Heresy. They encapsulate the terror, horror, and greed that much of the world experienced during the height of the Mongol Conquests, and the only reason much of the world was spared was due to factional infighting. Simplified history of course, but really cool concepts that I would love to explore if I ever decided to commit some heresy and build a Chaos Space Marines army.

gallery_103048_17086_140166.jpg

I do love the repose on this guy, makes it look like he is flying through the air while firing his gun!

gallery_103048_17086_123900.jpg

Lore-quote is paraphrased from one attributed Genghis Khan, probably to some nation he had just conquered.

~~~

Next is Brother Lycald, Knights of Gryphonne:

gallery_103048_17086_5266.jpg

The Steel Confessors may have been the first chapter of space marines illegally created to serve the Adeptus Mechanicus, but were not the last. It is rumored the Knights of Gryphonne were another such chapter, created from the gene-stock of the Iron Hands and forsworn to serve at the behest of forgeworld Gryphonne IV in the Segmentum Tempestus. Headquartered within their fleet docks in the Reductor Sector, the Knights of Gryphonne were easily able to come to the aid of the Gryphonne Octad in times of need. Yet even they were unable to stem the tide of Hive Fleet Leviathan as it swept into the Segmentum Tempestus, which overwhelmed the legions of Skitarii and Titans charged with the forgeworld’s defense, and rendered Gryphonne IV a dead world forever lost to the Imperium.

gallery_103048_17086_263247.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Lycald

Duty Position: Suppressor armed with accelerator autocannon and jetpack

Chapter Name: Knights of Gryphonne

Successor of: unknown (possibly Iron Hands)

Homeworld: Fleet Based, last reported in the Reductus Sector, Segmentum Tempestus

gallery_103048_17086_118246.jpg

Another one of those chapters with zero backstory except a name and a color scheme, and the barest amount of lore to make it interesting.

The name is what drew me to these guys, and in my opinion the connection to forgeworld Gryphonne IV is highly likely. Considering their size and power, it is not unreasonable to believe the adherents of the Machine Cult have at least a few chapters of marines hiding in their back pockets somewhere. If Belsarius Cawl could hide several legions worth of Primaris, this seems like it would be too easy for them to pull off.

gallery_103048_17086_58059.jpg

~~~

Parting shots of this post will be showing off the flight stands!

gallery_103048_17086_291146.jpg

I don't have the link to them anymore, but I found them off of etsy. Were I do get them again I would do a better job cleaning them; it took a few coats before I could get the paint to stick to the resin.

gallery_103048_17086_87997.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_184727.jpg

Edit: Oops, accidentally posted the last picture twice!

Edited by Smoke Frog