Kill-Team New Edition Box

Lord Marshal

So now instead of a skirmish version of the 40K they made a in house competitor of Necromunda?

This is a crazy move IMHO

The good thing about KT is that it is the skirmish version of the main 40k with same stats for models and weapons

Now it is a totally different beast and non compatible (miniatures apart) with the game that is supposed to work with

If i want a totally different game i would go with Necromunda not with a 40K version of Warcry

The writing was on the wall with their push for Combat Patrol. No way was a Kill-Team 2.0 going to remain/become more like 40k when they wanted to push 500pts as the 'introduction'.

Combat Patrol 500 points are just smaller 40K games 

They are good for the first games of a neophite but skirmish games are a different beast

Making a skirmish game with almost the same mechanics and stats of the bigger brother was a good idea IMHO

I dont like the way this new KT look rule wise

I like the models of DKOK and the Kommandos and scenery are cool too but the game itself let me not interested and lead me to keep playing the former version of KT

Necromunda isn't ideal for pick-up games or one-offs; it's much more designed for campaigns and developing your gang over time. New kill team looks to more warcry-ish, where you have a balanced set of rules/profiles that you use for a competitive game, but you don't kill off team members/develop new skills. There probably will be a narrative campaign mode (there is for warcry) but the focus I think is more on matched play.

Think spec-ops teams sent on a specific mission, where dead guys get replaced with someone with the same skillset as necessary, though of course you can change the composition if you want. And some people want soldiers, not criminal gangs!

Supposedly the rules are more complex than warcry.

Matched play is boring for me

I play only narrative games

So i am not into a matched play oriented KT cause it will be the definition of boring to me  ;)

Necromunda isn't ideal for pick-up games or one-offs; it's much more designed for campaigns and developing your gang over time. New kill team looks to more warcry-ish, where you have a balanced set of rules/profiles that you use for a competitive game, but you don't kill off team members/develop new skills. There probably will be a narrative campaign mode (there is for warcry) but the focus I think is more on matched play.

Think spec-ops teams sent on a specific mission, where dead guys get replaced with someone with the same skillset as necessary, though of course you can change the composition if you want. And some people want soldiers, not criminal gangs!

Supposedly the rules are more complex than warcry.

Matched play is boring for me

I play only narrative games

So i am not into a matched play oriented KT cause it will be the definition of boring to me ;)

Ya you've lost the plot if you think changing the core mechanics from 40k to warcry has any direct correlation to narrative or matched play. Narrative stuff has always just been progression system and crazy upgrades bolted onto the basic mechanics.

So now instead of a skirmish version of the 40K they made a in house competitor of Necromunda?

This is a crazy move IMHO

The good thing about KT is that it is the skirmish version of the main 40k with same stats for models and weapons

Now it is a totally different beast and non compatible (miniatures apart) with the game that is supposed to work with

If i want a totally different game i would go with Necromunda not with a 40K version of Warcry

1) all of their games are made in house competitors to each other lol

2) I don't think that using the main game 40k stats and weapons made for a good experience. Between the list building, damage changes, and fraction differences having the same profiles was awkward and misleading. The last time I played kill team I played against a guard list with 10 models, and 6 of them had plasma guns. That list wasn't even min-maxed to the fullest but it shows how far from 40k it was and how difficult it is scaling guardsman to marines with those design handicaps.

3) You should try Necromunda its a fun game, and so is Warcry there is a reason some of us want Kill team to work like it does.

fun fact chaos cultist is not avaible in GW store , good job gw  xD

Yes they are. They're the Blackstone Fortress Escalation Cultists, which is better for the game, since they actually come with the heavy stubber, grenade launcher and flamer options that cultists have always been able to equip with, but never had. The only virtue the old 5-man chaos cultist boxes had is that they were cheap. I'm glad I picked a couple up before they became unavailable, don't get me wrong; the Escalation Cultists would get just as repetitive as those old 5 man boxes are- having both, plus two units of Traitor Guard, gives me 20 unique sculpts to represent cultists. Corpse Grinders from Necromunda add more; other Necromunda models add even more, though they need a bit chaos modification to make them really work.

I am absolutely convinced that when the Chaos Dex drops, it will include ways to use ALL of the BSF baddies. It makes zero sense for GW to retire those moulds when they've got years and years of utility ahead of them. So prepare for Chaos to be able to add Traitor Guard, Rogue Psykers, Beastmen, and Negavolts to their lists; expect them to be released as KT boxes with 40k rules first.

The best part about KT becoming a Warcry/ Underworlds knock off is the fact that those games get regular releases, all of which are usable in AoS. Kill Team always need this and never had it. Hopefully the shift in mechanics also foreshadows the regular release/ support model that the AoS equivalents enjoy.

I liked the old KT system, and I can understand why there are people who are reluctant to let it go. But I do agree that 40k's Combat Patrol rules really did lay the boots to it. My 25 PL Deathwatch Crusade is 12 infantry models. If that's not a Kill Team, I don't know what is. Crusade's progression system is better than the system in current Kill Team rules, particularly for forces that already have their 9th ed dexes.

So I say bring it on, and the sooner the better. I really want to fast forward to seeing what the first KT support boxes look like; I want Mandrakes, Striking Scorpions and Inquisition to be among them. I'm hoping that Janus and Neyam get re-released with retinues like Elucia Vhane was lucky enough to get.

If that preview website's accurate about the factions available in the core book, I'm pretty stoked. 

I think the inference from the site is that they're what'll be in the (not included in the box) compendium that'll be released with the box (as the box only includes rules for Orks & Death Korps).

Looks like I lucked out when I put off collecting Krieg as I don't care for the redesign at all.  They're still Krieg but at the same time somehow not.  It feels like they lost their intimidating swagger...for lack of a better term.  Well, I didn't need to be dumping all that money on a Guard army anyway.  Even in plastic they're still absurdly costly.

Glad to see previously FW-only stuff getting plastics though.  Looking forward to the contemptors/leviathans in plastic.  Maybe we can eventually get some rapiers with primaris gunners too?

The models look absolutely stellar. Loving both factions, especially the Orks actually. I'm interested to see if we get KT-original models for existing factions, a bit like with Warcry but more directly tied with their parent armies. So for instance, new breeds of Genestealer or other Tyranid vanguard organisms. Oh, and a plastic Lictor please!

Regarding the rules apparently being their own thing rather than just small scale 40K, I'm actually quite pleased. I feel like a skirmish system would benefit from rules that would make a full-sized game incredibly slow and clunky. Fewer models = deeper mechanics required for the game to feel right. But then I never saw Kill Team as "introduction to 40K", I always saw it as its own thing, specifically made for playing out scenarios that wouldn't work with "regular" 40K. Which I assume is the angle GW are taking too.

It's off topic (sorry), but we're definitely getting that plastic Lictor. What I want to see for Octarius Nids is a terrain box full of Spore Chimneys, reclamation pools, brood nests, etc. FW used to make all this stuff, and it was awesome.

Well this is a great Joy ...New Kill team 2.0 and it looks like the rules may help balance the use of small forces (others are right,40k rules for 5-10 combatants doesn't really work the way it should, small groups of multi wound models with a different structure of play looks promising)

@Master Sheol - how did you see all this stuff :ermm: , i thought you were out having pizza with the GF instead of watching a release trailer :tongue.:  

back on topic... Ork models and Krieg models all rock, i will be splitting this box with a mate and probably get the Kriegers for myself later on down the road....

So much to look forward to now :wub:

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Well this is a great Joy ...New Kill team 2.0 and it looks like the rules may help balance the use of small forces (others are right,40k rules for 5-10 combatants doesn't really work the way it should, small groups of multi wound models with a different structure of play looks promising)

@Master Sheol - how did you see all this stuff :ermm: , i thought you were out having pizza with the GF instead of watching a release trailer :tongue.:

back on topic... Ork modle and Krieg models all rock, i will be splitting this box with a mate and probably get the Kriegers for myself later on down the road....

So much to look forward to now :wub:

Mithril

Made my day. Thank you.

The ability to create a Kill Team from 40k-standard models should always exist, sure, but when you're putting out a KT-specific custom box why would you want to just reprint existing models? Especially since the equipment loadout available on a sprue from a regular infantry box is usually insufficient for a decent kill team anyway. 

And from a narrative standpoint, the Warcry range has been great for AoS. Fleshing out the various chaos-aligned cultures of the realms has added a lot of flavor to the world. 40k could only benefit from a similar approach. 

well, a premade kill team kit that was more like the new Gaunt's Ghosts kit could work for teams based on cannon characters from books, or one where instead of you needing to by like 3 or 4 different kits of 5 or 10 man squads you'll only use 2 or 3 of the guys for, you by one kit with 7 figures of different types in it(sure you might still "use" those leftovers, but I'm talking marketing to newbies, or the more price conscious players).

I appreciate that this is intended as friendly banter, but let's keep this thread on topic. If you wish to continue this off-topic conversation, by all means do so via PM. Continuing it here, however, will result in corrective action being taken. Edited by Dam13n

I would hope that GW would take a reasoned approach to the concept of “all kill team options must be in 40K” - there are options that on a skirmish level may assist in one squad/small force overcoming another that when applied in a singular/paired basis, as you might find in Kill Team, don’t necessarily have enough impact to weigh into a battle containing many squads in a significant way - for instance, there’s a difference between one squad member gaining a bonus in Kill Team due to their scope, vs. an entire squad gaining a bonus from a single scope in a 40K mission; or something like a grapple gun that one member of a unit has - there may not be enough granularity in 40K to represent individual load outs (beyond larger items like special weapons, special grenades, etc.), so I would hope that GW would ensure that these options might not actually have rules or that they have to be applied at the squad level, but only need to be represented on a single model in the squad, etc.

Otherwise, the “extra kit” can just become visual additions without having to actually represent full squad options - which is still cool, because the look of fully kitted out combatants is always more visually impressive than the plain models we’ve often had.

I would hope that GW would take a reasoned approach to the concept of “all kill team options must be in 40K” - there are options that on a skirmish level may assist in one squad/small force overcoming another that when applied in a singular/paired basis, as you might find in Kill Team, don’t necessarily have enough impact to weigh into a battle containing many squads in a significant way - for instance, there’s a difference between one squad member gaining a bonus in Kill Team due to their scope, vs. an entire squad gaining a bonus from a single scope in a 40K mission; or something like a grapple gun that one member of a unit has - there may not be enough granularity in 40K to represent individual load outs (beyond larger items like special weapons, special grenades, etc.), so I would hope that GW would ensure that these options might not actually have rules or that they have to be applied at the squad level, but only need to be represented on a single model in the squad, etc.

Otherwise, the “extra kit” can just become visual additions without having to actually represent full squad options - which is still cool, because the look of fully kitted out combatants is always more visually impressive than the plain models we’ve often had.

That was Warcry's approach. For instance, the Spire Tyrants have... 9 or 10 fighter profiles and a suite of special abilities. Their warscroll for AoS steamlines this into a couple of the models in the unit having modified weapons, and one special ability.

So I'd say odds are good they'll do what you're hoping.

So, if the Kill Team website is anything to go by, it looks like Games Workshop included just about every Phobos armored Space Marine option they could.  Baring Commanders - the Captain, Lieutenants, and Librarians - and... Eliminators? Leaving out the Eliminators kinda seems like an odd choice to me.

So, if the Kill Team website is anything to go by, it looks like Games Workshop included just about every Phobos armored Space Marine option they could.  Baring Commanders - the Captain, Lieutenants, and Librarians - and... Eliminators? Leaving out the Eliminators kinda seems like an odd choice to me.

Perhaps they were viewed as being OP :sweat: , seriously though they got like 10 different choices...:happy.:  

I feel bad for the Eldar...looking at those really really old models was a bit cringe worthy... Also ,No Banshee's ? ,No Reapers?, No swooping hawks?...No Scorpions? you'd think a team of those would be what a highly skilled Eldar Kill Team would be made of... 

I also see there is a Kommando team and a Greenskins team ...interesting !

Mithril

Very tempting...love everything in the box. However, with Black Templars on the horizon, not sure I'll be able to justify purchasing this.

I don't expect Templars until October or later. Plenty of time to plan and save!

The lack of more Aspect Warriors really does bite.

Imagining a kill team of Guardians and Storm Guardians going up against Deathwatch Veterans makes me think of that scene in Commando where wave after wave of goons are gunned down... but now Arnie is decked out in Power Armor and he's rocking a frag cannon.

Edited by ShibeKing