Black Templar Teaser and Rumors

Acebaur

Ork launch box doesn't contain dice. Sisters launch box have 12 dice in it, but these are normal white dice, without any special symbol on the faces.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/40kSoBUnboxing-Nov11-Dice4hhv.jpg

Yeah, that's why I put ? Next to it. I am hoping they do give us dice seeing as our contents seem a little on the undervalued side compared to other launch boxes.

Crusader squad will be one kit, no way it's seperate. Will be priced between Assault Intercessors and Heavy Intercessors most likely.

Possibly, but we can't know that because we have no precedent to go off. The only existing unique primaris intercessor-based models is the BA ones I referenced. I hope we get a box of 5 + 5 but I can't estimate what the price would be. After all the 5 X BA Death Company Intercessors costs almost as much as 10 X normal intercessors. So it seems pretty obvious to me that if we want special, unique primaris models we will be paying a higher premium than regular intercessor prices. Edited by Jayrich131

The other legion don't got the black sword and the true emperor's champion with Emperor's vision are only for Black Templar ones due to the Sigismund stuff who is the OG chosen by the emperor himself.

Sigismund wasnt chosen by the emperor, he was chosen by dorn, from what i found it was just a title as far as i could find. And vision thing we have no idea if its from the emperor or if its some sort of brainwash thing that only comes out whe they so the ritual. And the black sword while cool and rare doesnt seem to be that different from a mastercrafted weapon

Edited by Cryptshadow

maybe there is a retcon. Before the Horus Heresy books Sigismund wasnt a major ranked Space Marine. The HH series made him into first captain. Why should GW not change that. Maybe Dorn was ordered by the Emperor (which I really hope) and we will read it in the next Siege of terra book.

Sigismund wasnt chosen by the emperor, he was chosen by dorn, from what i found it was just a title as far as i could find. And vision thing we have no idea if its from the emperor or if its some sort of brainwash thing that only comes out whe they so the ritual. And the black sword while cool and rare doesnt seem to be that different from a mastercrafted weapon

Cope much, ye faithless?

Edited by Reinhard

The other legion don't got the black sword and the true emperor's champion with Emperor's vision are only for Black Templar ones due to the Sigismund stuff who is the OG chosen by the emperor himself.

He was chosen by Dorn but served the Emperor directly durring the Siege of Terra, and got his stuff from them, he is the first emperor's champion and other chapter stole that title for their champion. The Black Sword is once again the best sword since they are not made in mass production and is an amazing artifact, limited to 10, if the sword don't got anything special and is not that hard to create, everyone would got one. If it's not the emperor who made the vision happen directly, it can be Sigismund himself or the emperor giving a part of Sigismund at the new EC, since Malcador prepared something in case of Sigismund die because he is too important for the Imperium. 

He was chosen by Dorn but served the Emperor directly durring the Siege of Terra, and got his stuff from them, he is the first emperor's champion and other chapter stole that title for their champion. The Black Sword is once again the best sword since they are not made in mass production and is an amazing artifact, limited to 10, if the sword don't got anything special and is not that hard to create, everyone would got one. If it's not the emperor who made the vision happen directly, it can be Sigismund himself or the emperor giving a part of Sigismund at the new EC, since Malcador prepared something in case of Sigismund die because he is too important for the Imperium. 

Yes, no (at least originally), no more so than many other relic weapons, and I hope not. From Chapter Approved (2003):

Almost all Chapters of Space Marines have had Emperor's Champions of their own at one time or another, especially during the period following the Horus Heresy. Although the practice is much less common in the 41st Millenium, there are several Chapters that have an Emperor's Champion, especially among the First and Second Founding Chapters whose history dates back to the dark days of the Heresy.

I think "stole" may not be the appropriate term in this light. Again, this is before any retcons and I don't follow the lore well enough to know if there were any.

All Emperor's Champions wield a mighty power sword, named after Sigismund's original blade.

And from the original codex:

Each Crusade nominally has an Emperor's Champion, but in practice there is actually one for every Fighting Company.... [The warrior who receives a vision from the Emperor] will be gifted with the best weapons and armour in the force. Although the actual weapons may change, these are always known as the Black Sword and the Armour of Faith.

Sigismund's Black Blade was amazing, but no one uses it at the moment. As far as I know it was not returned to the Chapter after being sent to Terra by Abaddon. The 10-ish relic blades are good, but not really any more relic-y than the Heavenfall blades, frost weapons, etc that pop up in other chapters. The connection here between lore and rules ("Here's Sword Brother Adelcard's power sword and Castellan Erjos's armor," but mechanically getting the same stats as a 'proper' Black Blade and Armour of Faith) suggesting transubstantiation/miracle was always cooler than relic items being good because they're better made.

Sigismund's death has a narrative significance that I think would be cheapened by resurrection. He's the oldest example of a non-Blood Angel; leading the Eternal Crusade long past the disappearance of the Primarchs.

EDIT: I had some details wrong. There's a great connection between Solar War where Boreas makes Sigismund swear to keep living until the last blow of the sword. And then Sigismund goes out sheathing his blade in Abaddon from collar bone to hip as his last act. "By our deaths shall they know us," indeed. As such a traditional/conservative Chapter, the example set by Sigismund and faithfully followed by his inheritors is a more powerful narrative than some sort of rematch. Sigismund built an institution, forms of being, that have outlasted him by almost 9,000 years. Abaddon has no such legacy; all his works will fall with him.

Edited by jaxom

This is a rumor release thread. I think we're about to get the mods involved if we keep harping on the nuances of the Black Sword.

Start another thread, pick the hill you want to die on and debate lore points there. 

It will be interesting to see what a crusade squad box looks like. 5 + 5 is probably what most people want but I feel like it's not so likely. It also has issues because what if you just want the Neophytes or just want the initiates? Then you could sell them seperately in 5 or 10 packs of each, that likely ends up costing more to fill a 20 man squad though. Or you could do as GW may well do and pick random numbers of each so that it doesnt work for anybody. Or you could be really bananas and make a 20 man box with the whole lot and kaboodle. Priced reasonably and with all the loadouts... Naaah!

I would not expect as many options as the classic crusader squad. Some rumors have stated we can swap between Heavy BP & Chainsword and Auto bolt rifle on initiates, and bolt carbines and shotguns on neohpytes, as well as that flamer and then "sergeant options" on the sword brother.

That's already a ton more customizability than any other primaris squad.

Edited by Reinhard

I'm calling it now, the launch box will have 2 crusader squads in it, not 1, it just doesn't add up otherwise. 

The reveal picture for the release box for the Beast Snaggas showed 10 beast snagga boys, but, there were 2 sets of them in the box, so you could make a total of 20.

Chances are, since apparently this launch box rumor began from a sighting of a picture of it, the same thing is happening here. GW is only displaying the 10 man unit because the other 10 models are just duplicates, so no need to include them in the picture that is primarily just there to show off the models. 

I'm not expecting anything beyond the above. 

It's not like they'll be able to take a heavy weapon either.

I'm calling it now, the launch box will have 2 crusader squads in it, not 1, it just doesn't add up otherwise. 

The reveal picture for the release box for the Beast Snaggas showed 10 beast snagga boys, but, there were 2 sets of them in the box, so you could make a total of 20.

Chances are, since apparently this launch box rumor began from a sighting of a picture of it, the same thing is happening here. GW is only displaying the 10 man unit because the other 10 models are just duplicates, so no need to include them in the picture that is primarily just there to show off the models. 

Doubtful. And that'd suggest the crusader squad would be more like Indomitus or said Snagga box. I want it to be a full kit version instead, cuz i sincerely doubt we'd get both. 

Edited by Reinhard

GW refuse to give primaris troop units shooting heavy weapons. Even the fist/hammer option on sergeant was introduced at late 8th, not available on first release. I don't think we could see melta/plasma on primaris crusaders.

Yeah, I think it’s more accurate to say that Primaris are not given weapons outside their role. The Heavy Intercessor option is paired with the rifle option so the squad always is in the same niche. The pyreblaster may be an attempt to bridge that gap as it would be useful alongside auto bolt rifles or hbp&acs.

I would love to have the power weapon on Sword Bro and Initiate setup again. For a proper Melee Squad.

Personally I hope the Crusader squad setup does not change much.

The flamer gives me a good vibe that that might be the case.

two powerfists on a 10 man squad would be not that bad.

Sadly you're probably right and it will be the same sprues of 6 and 4, with 1 that can be built as sword brethren. Sadly this means you'll need 2 1/2 boxes to make an actual crusader squad.

As for having 2 lots of crusaders in the launch box I reeeally hope this is the case because it makes it a lot more feasible. I mean if we compare to snaggas.

2 X characters (EC + Marshal ~ Zodgrodd + Nob in Squig)

Elite/Vehicle (Redemptor ~ Squighog Boyz)

Troops (Half Crusader Squad =/= Full Snaggas Boyz Squad)

And if you compare to the sisters of Battle then it's even more underwhelming as they had 24 models, from 6 different units)

I mean I'll be buying it no matter what but I would like to see a full crusader squad in there or a group of Sword Brethren or something to fill it out a bit. Alternatively they could just give it to us a bit cheaper than the Snaggas and Sisters boxes and that would be fine too so we can add on our own units.

Edit: There's also the possibility crusader squads change from 20 man squads to 10, I sure hope not but we haven't actually seen the new rules yet.

Edited by Jayrich131