9th Edition Thousand Sons Codex Game Feedback

Prot

Got a game tomorrow, and I really want to try out my Thousand Sons - they havent seen the table since 6th ed.

I'm thinking of this, after a lot of playing around.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [85 PL, 7CP, 14 Cabal Points, 1,499pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Time

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Sorcerous Arcana [-2CP]: 2x Additional Relics

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [8 PL, 3 Cabal Points, 140pts]: 11. Tzeentch's Firestorm, 23. Baleful Devolution, 6. Aetherstride, Athenaean Scrolls, Dilettante, Immaterial Echo, The Chronos Tutorum, Warlord, Warpflame pistol

Infernal Master [5 PL, -1CP, 3 Cabal Points, 90pts]: 2. Fires of the Abyss, 2. Seeker After Shadows, 21. Presage, 6. Malefic Maelstrom, Helm of the Daemon's Eye, High Acolytes

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [7 PL, 2 Cabal Points, 115pts]: 13. Doombolt, 33. Desecration of Worlds, Battle-psyker, Force stave, Inferno combi-bolter, The Stave Abominus

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [7 PL, -1CP, 2 Cabal Points, 135pts]: Icon of Flame
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: 23. Temporal Surge, Ancient Automata, Aspiring Magister, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. . 4x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Rubric Marines [6 PL, 2 Cabal Points, 115pts]: Icon of Flame
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: 31. Empyric Guidance, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. . 4x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Rubric Marines [6 PL, -1CP, 1 Cabal Points, 129pts]
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: 32. Pyric Flux, Aspiring Magister, Incandeum, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. . 4x Rubric Marine w/ warpflamer: 4x Warpflamer

Thousand Sons Cultists [3 PL, 55pts]
. . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
. . Cultist Champion
. . . . Shotgun and brutal assault weapon
. . 8x Cultist w/ autogun: 8x Autogun

+ Elites +

Helbrute [7 PL, 115pts]: Helbrute plasma cannon, Power scourge

Scarab Occult Terminators [21 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 270pts]: Hellfyre missile rack
. . Scarab Occult Sorcerer: 12. Glamour of Tzeentch, Inferno combi-bolter, Rites of Coalescence
. . 4x Terminator: 4x Inferno combi-bolter, 4x Prosperine khopesh
. . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Soulreaper cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator Destructor [8 PL, 185pts]: Inferno combi-bolter
. . Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

Maulerfiend [7 PL, 150pts]: Lasher tendrils

++ Total: [85 PL, 7CP, 14 Cabal Points, 1,499pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

It's a real hotch-potch of stuff. The Infernal master is there for the hopefully passive +1 to strength, psychic actions, and the CaP. Exalted Athenaeum scrolls Firestorm to try and get that going off on a natural 9, which should be 3+ mortals per turn, then also triggering immaterial echo for a free undeniable spell (smite or baleful). Bit of beatstick in the TDA sorc, WS2+ with 10A. In an ideal world I'd switch this for a paradigm exalted, maybe that can be my next model. 

Going to try the risen rubric trick with the flamers, and the sorc has the flame staff also. Random other spells on the aspirings, everyone has time flux to heal up as needed. 14 CaP's to pootle into stuff as needed. Likely an imbued spell each turn. 

One more thing on the PlasmaFiends.....summon in The Changeling so that you can give one of them +1 to wound via Flickering Flames (since an Infernal Master could be giving  +1S to another) and all of the Fiends get 6+++ wound shrugs if they stay close to him. 

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

Going to try the risen rubric trick with the flamers, and the sorc has the flame staff also. Random other spells on the aspirings, everyone has time flux to heal up as needed. 14 CaP's to pootle into stuff as needed. Likely an imbued spell each turn. 

Just keep in mind that the Incandeum is not a wrapflamer. It really should be, but it is not. :sad.:

Good luck with the game, looks like a fare force to try out.

Why the Plasma on the Hellbrute? Most I have seen are MM or the occasional Lascannon (with or without Missiles).

Edit: I don’t have the Daemon Codex, how does summoning now work and can we actually still do it?  

Edited by Trokair

Just keep in mind that the Incandeum is not a wrapflamer. It really should be, but it is not. :sad.:

Good luck with the game, looks like a fare force to try out.

Why the Plasma on the Hellbrute? Most I have seen are MM or the occasional Lascannon (with or without Missiles).

Edit: I don’t have the Daemon Codex, how does summoning now work and can we actually still do it?  

Summoning works the same way it always did. It's just not listed in our Codex now. It's still listed in the Daemon Codex and follows the same rules.

Further, GW ruled in the latest FAQ that bringing in units mid-game via Summoning and similar mechanics does not break the army construction rules that grant pure Faction bonuses. So we can have all of our rules for being pure TSons, save 100 points for, say, the Changeling, and Summon him in using the same old rules in the Daemon Codex and not lose anything. The Death Guard currently do this with Epidemius in many tournament lists.

However, as a note, Summoned units are not part of a Daemon Detachment and so don't get the expanded loci, Exalted buffs, access to Daemon stratagems, etc.

Running the volkite contemptor with the forgefiend in my army list demands using that relic that ignores damage, hit, and wound modifiers. Makes death guard cry.

Whoa! I just found my new relic!

I did not see this at first glance, and considering I seem to prefer massed firepower to 'strong' (higher damage/lower shots) firepower, this is the relic for me. I guess the way it's worded it probably doesn't work on Transhuman type abilities though.

I may even just put my 2 Forgefiends back in the list. I really do like the models, but the problem I've been having to deal with all these modifiers makes them rather lethargic feeling.  (For those curious, we're talking about Egleigher's Orrery. 

What about a Predator?

Which for some reason has been split in the codex into its two load outs, so I guess we can take six if we wanted.

4 Lascannon shots should do a lot, just hide it turn one or so. Or 2 Lascannon and a lot of Autocannon if you want a bit more of an all-rounder.

I've actually been thinking about the ol' Predator Annihilator. With a 5++ this isn't such a bad unit for us. I sold my first one in my other Thousand Sons army, so sadly I don't have any of those old chassis hanging around, but I do think it's more valid with us than perhaps other Chaos armies now. The ability to put a 4++ on the pred would be great.

With some of our reroll abilities and die roll substitution abilities, as well as the Orrery, etc, Vindicators might be worth a look.

They're cheap T8 hulls with a 2+/5++ (with the Siege Shield) and we can possibly increase range, strength, AP, etc., as well as removing damage modifiers, cover, and using things like Glimpse of Eternity to reroll shot count, with the Prophecy or Knowledge stuff to reroll hit, wound, and/or damage.

A World Eaters list with 3 of them got into the Top 25 at the Atlantic City Open and we can arguably use them even better. AdMech Horde, Orks, big units of Sacresants, etc seem to be making this kind of response worthwhile.

I suddenly feel the need to start painting up some orange Terminator Sorcerers to go with all this heavy stuff we're talking about. :smile.:

EDIT: Azhek451 has a good point: The Orrery won't work with Vindis. No CORE.

That's a good point. Smaller table in 9th  too, and yes Glimpse of Eternity is a great power. I've used it every game. It could add real value to gun type (including Las Preds too) that is notorious for being so swingy.

Running the volkite contemptor with the forgefiend in my army list demands using that relic that ignores damage, hit, and wound modifiers. Makes death guard cry.

Whoa! I just found my new relic!

I did not see this at first glance, and considering I seem to prefer massed firepower to 'strong' (higher damage/lower shots) firepower, this is the relic for me. I guess the way it's worded it probably doesn't work on Transhuman type abilities though.

I may even just put my 2 Forgefiends back in the list. I really do like the models, but the problem I've been having to deal with all these modifiers makes them rather lethargic feeling.  (For those curious, we're talking about Egleigher's Orrery. 

Just keep in mind, it only works for core units. So things like helbrutes and contemptors are the only heavy weapon units that can benefit. That's why the volkite loves this relic so much. 

Further Heavy Support spitballing: I believe we can take Rapier Carriers again. Maybe a few of those with Laser Destroyers or Quad Mortars in the backline and judicious use of Perplex to keep enemy shooting away from them? Not sure.

Rapiers are horrific and insanely good for their points. If we can make them S6 with an infernal master...wow. 

As promised the write up of yesterdays game against sisters.

So I played against sisters with this list:

HQS
Exated Sorcerer, disk, Rehati
Relic: Prism of echoes
Powers: Glamour of Tzeentch, Weaver of fates

Exated Sorcerer, disk, warpflamepistol
Relic: Athenaean Scroll
Powers: firestorm, Baleful devolution

Exalted, Paradigm, disk, Kopesh, warpflamepistol
Relic: Thrydderghyre
Warlord Trait: Undying Form
Powers: Swelled by The warp, Temporal Surge

Terminator Sorcerer, witch warrior
Powers: Gaze of Hate, firestorm

Terminator Sorcerer
Powers: Doombolt, Temporal Surge

TROOPS
5 rubrics, aspiring sorcerer, 4 warpflamer, Temporal Surge

PATROL (Cult of Duplicity):

HQS
Ahriman, disk
Powers: Temporal Surge, Doombolt, Cacodeamonic Curse

TROOPS

Command Points: 8
Cabbal Points: 25

The sisters list was similar to the one discussed here:

https://www.goonhammer.com/john-lennon-talks-about-playing-sisters-of-battle-with-the-new-codex/

Although it had a third rhino instead of the battlescanctum.

Mission: Scorched Earth (from the 2021 Grand Tournament Pack)
My Secondaries: To The Last, Strangle Hold, Mutate Landscape
My Opponents: To The Last, Strangle Hold, Abhor the Witch
Score: TS 100 AS 79 (although technically my army was not battle ready)

Terrain was simlar to the recommended GW tournament set up.

A solid game. There was plenty of play left in both lists as we both made a load of tactical mistakes. We both played very cagey trading units tactically to score the mission until the later turns where the thousand sons built up momentum and board control.

On playing against sisters

The 5+ denies were annoying but not everywhere. The Bloody Rose doesn't want to give up exploding 6s in melee so that detachments is only denying on a 6+ as opposed to the Ebon Chalice which was denying on a 5+. At the end of the day they only have so many denies (it's not like their entire army is range of all your casters all the time), our buffs can be cast out of deny range because of the Prism of Echoes. Sorcerous Facade tended to be cast out of deny range too. The Cabbalistic Focus pact was used to ensure scoring mutate landscape each turn.

The Dogmata ability to make a unit immune to psychic powers wasn't as bad as I thought. It only has a range of 6" and needs a 3+ to go off. If it doesn't go off they can easily lose celestine to smites. There is a stratagem to make it automatically go off but the net effect of that is your opponent loses a CP a turn (almost like a meta debuff). Your opponent could castle their entire army behind this null unit but in practice this would give up way too much board control.

On playing thousands sons

Flamer rubrics are fantastic. They are always a threat, they are expendable, they are deadly, they are surprisingly fast (being able to advance and smite/shoot is amazing). 12" range flamers with AP-2 are no joke, they make for a good anti tank solution by sheer volume of fire. They also ensure the unit is always a threat, even when the unit is reduced to 3 models that's still a smite and 2d6 shots. Being immune to moral and objective secure is another wicked combo. If all of that wasn't enough they have access to two additional shooting phases via the Overwatch and Inescapable Forewarning stratagems. 10/10

The Exalted Sorcerer with Prism of Echoes, Rehati and disk was solid, ensured that any unit that needed a buff could get a buff. 10/10

Smite, Smite, Smite. We have so much play with smite, with all our bonuses to cast, and sheer volume of casters I found the army was able to get 4-5 smites off a turn, with some of those being super smites.

Cabbal points, this list had 27, honestly you can never have enough of these. All of the rituals are useful. I'm considering taking Icon of Flame everywhere to get more, they make the army sing.

Command points, this list started with 8, it wasn't enough. Our command points have so much utility. Every psychic phase chances are you will at least be spending 1CP on a re-roll, 1CP on an ignore perils and 1CP to make smite to an automatic 3 damage. You'll want 1CP for Overwatch and 2CP for Inescapable Forewarning. I thought there wasn't any point in taking Helm of the Daemon Eye as I would get 1CP back every Psychic phase (and you can only get a max of one CP a battle round), turns out I rarely had enough Cabbal Points to use Echoes From The Warp. Taking this into account I can't see myself ever spending 2-5 CP pregame on (Risen Rubricae and/or Webway Infiltration). Even taking a second detachment, or gratuitous Relic/Warlord traits could be problematic. 

Cult of Duplicity is stupidly strong with flamer rubrics, also using Pact From Beyond to guarantee it goes off is great. It's cast in the psychic phase so you can clear screening units with smite before getting your flamers stuck in to juicier target. Being able to threaten anything on the table turn 4-5 means nothing is safe, your opponent has to zone you all game (which gets harder ant harder as they lose units), you can't just leave a straggler holding an objective.

List changes

I think an infernal master is a must for the re-roll alone. There was plenty of times where I wished I had an extra re-roll, or could re-roll a super smite. Might even save some points to summon a tzeentch herald with gaze of fate (for a second re-roll).

The terminator sorcerers were good (deepsrike smites are useful), but I'm not sure you really need three of them. In some ways 3 exalted (or 2 + Ahriman) is more than enough (if you can keep them alive). You could then use those points to get more rubrics or give all your rubric Icons of Flame.

Don't think I'll bother with Scarabs, they aren't noticeably more survivable than rubrics (repentia/zeraphim will kill 10 scarabs almost as easily as 10 rubrics). There's plenty of stuff in the game that can kill scarabs even with all their buffs. Their shooting output aside from range isn't as good as flamer rubrics. They also prevent you taking to the last on Exalted Sorcerers. 

I'm considering some 10 man units of rubrics but the problem I'm having is it stops me taking To The Last on my Exalted Sorcerers.

The Thrydderghyre Exalted sorcerer didn't do anything all game. While I still think it's interesting I might drop it in future if I keep taking To the Last as a secondary.

I probably don't need to take as much temporal surge as I did. Still it did give me loads of options in the end game.

Closing Thoughts

If our last codex was a severed stump... this new codex is truly a hand with more fingers than I could ever have hoped for.

EDIT: Something important I forgot to mention.

A lot of our Cabbalistic Rituals and Stratagems use the following wording:

"when a psychic power is successfully manifested"

From the core rules:

"So long as the Psychic test was successful and the psychic power was not denied by a successful Deny the Witch test, the psychic power is successfully manifested and its effects, which will be described in the power itself, are then resolved."

This is really important as it means you only spend the Command Point/Cabbal Points after you know the power hasn't been denied.

Hope all this is useful. :smile.:

Edited by Mushkilla

Nice stuff!

I've been poking through the relics - an exalted with paradigm, dilettante, chatterfowl and conniving plate seems fun for character hunting/roadblock - chatterfowl will on average turn WS2+ into WS4+, then conniving halves their attacks against you, so you'll only ever get hit by 1/4 of the attacks a model throws out. There are also no minimums or maximums on these, so if you roll a 3 on chatterfowl against a SM serge with thunder hammer, he goes to WS6+ with a -1 to hit. If youre going character hunting, give him twist of fate also to get through any invuns. 

A lot of our Cabbalistic Rituals and Stratagems use the following wording:

"when a psychic power is successfully manifested"

From the core rules:

"So long as the Psychic test was successful and the psychic power was not denied by a successful Deny the Witch test, the psychic power is successfully manifested and its effects, which will be described in the power itself, are then resolved."

This is really important as it means you only spend the Command Point/Cabbal Points after you know the power hasn't been denied.

Hope all this is useful. :smile.:

Oh interesting!

That’s weird cause the +1 and +2 to psychic test would technically need to happen at the psychic test stage... before deny. Need to check if these 2 are worded differently

Oh interesting!

That’s weird cause the +1 and +2 to psychic test would technically need to happen at the psychic test stage... before deny. Need to check if these 2 are worded differently

They are indeed worded differently. 

Edited by Mushkilla

Thanks for the take on the game Mushkilla. I definitely find I agree with a lot, and disagree with a little bit.

Agree on the Cabal Points. Some think they're a trap, but I'd agree they are like a subsection of good powers with a flexible set of features usable in any game.

Agree on the re-roll. I found in some games, I'd spend it too easily, then I realized in my past few games it was full battle round I believe. And that is potent.

Agree on the Command Points. Our new Strats become something you lean on heavily.

Agree on the Termies (amount of them). I am using too many, I simply love the model.

Disagree on Termies vs. Rubrics though. I think you need some serious close combat match ups, and that's when I'd like to hear your comparison.

Good to hear about flamers. I've been dying to try them out and probably will try a unit this week. 

About SoB. I had a horrible time, but I think I may be a bit more aggressive, because I'll say probably 80% of my casts were indeed deniable on a 5+.  Also with the superior firepower that did force my hand. Those Sacresants are stupidly good... and the Hospitalier bringing back... D3 (?) a turn, it was incredibly annoying. This is definitely a moment where Scarabs were good in this sort of match up. However they definitely shine more against my more aggressive opponents. 

I want a rematch with the SoB player here. He's got a very well tuned list he's used pretty consistently over the past 12 months (it's evolved of course) and I'm still tweaking my Thousand Sons.

I'm going up against an unknown this week... it might even be Blood Angels or Dark Eldar so a very different game for me at the end of this week!

Looking forward to trying a squad of flamers.

Disagree on Termies vs. Rubrics though. I think you need some serious close combat match ups, and that's when I'd like to hear your comparison.

I mean the scarabs are good (and totally viable). But they just don't trade very efficiently. Like say a unit of zeraphim or repentia, where they cost 100-120 points but can reliably kill several times their points value like a knight or 10 scarabs. Sure they will die horribly after that but I find the melee meta is better suited to trading cheap glass cannon melee units.

I also find you don't really need counter charge units when everything is expendable/has dangerous overwatch really strong close range shooting. Even if I don't get to overwatch, if my positioning is good at most one rubric squad get charged and killed then whatever charged them gets obliterated next turn.

But I haven't played against a more traditional melee list (although I will say this sisters list had lots of solid melee threats).

Good to hear about flamers. I've been dying to try them out and probably will try a unit this week.

One thing to point out is that they are much better with Duplicity and when you have multiple squads as you get this really nice threat synergy. A single squad is easy to shutdown but 9 you suddenly have all these overlapping threats, they are also completely expendable. So running 1-2 might not have the same effects. 

About SoB. I had a horrible time, but I think I may be a bit more aggressive, because I'll say probably 80% of my casts were indeed deniable on a 5+.  Also with the superior firepower that did force my hand. Those Sacresants are stupidly good... and the Hospitalier bringing back... D3 (?) a turn, it was incredibly annoying. This is definitely a moment where Scarabs were good in this sort of match up. However they definitely shine more against my more aggressive opponents.

I was playing very cagey and mostly only exposing 1-2 units to them at a time (the unit that was exposed was often fully buffed). Effectively resulting in both of us trading units whilst jockeying for the upper hand. If I'd played very aggressively It would have allowed the Sacresants, Celestine and Vahl to come into the game. By not playing into them it meant they would either have to sit back and stay safe or move out and take some big chances (by exposing themselves to all our devastating 12"-18" smite/shooting).

Sisters really want you to come to them. 

Edited by Mushkilla

Yea, my SoB opponent had me severely out gunned. That said, I had put points into fun units like the Forgefiends for instance, and once those were gone... It did force my hand.

I will still stand by my belief that the Scarab Occult are significant threats to melee, and are more survivable than Rubrics. I haven't seen anything in my games to change that... yet. But I'm always open. We all have our own truths based on meta.

The idea of Duplicity makes sense with a Flame-Bric army, I'm just so bored of it from playing it dozens of times since PA. It very much makes sense, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'll probably return to it for its immense utility in almost any match up. But for now.... just for now... I'm playing with most of the Cults. I'm really growing fond of Knowledge though! Lots of fun in there.

I will say my foray back to Cult of Time with 15 terminators, and 10 of those were in one squad... that was an eye opener. I believe as resource intense as it was, that was one heck of a tough squad. It seemed to rank up there with Blightlords, but more... 'killy'.

I also use... Coalescence (? Don't have my rules handy) on the Sorc in the squad on top of the heal, and the possibility of the 9+ cast heal/strat.... I really recommend this combo if you want to truly feel the power of the SoT!

I played yesterday vs DG and it was a true grudge match. The best thing is they always take a psyker! And that makes secodaries get a lot easier! (That was another thing I disliked about the SoB match up. )

The idea of Duplicity makes sense with a Flame-Bric army, I'm just so bored of it from playing it dozens of times since PA. It very much makes sense, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'll probably return to it for its immense utility in almost any match up. But for now.... just for now... I'm playing with most of the Cults. I'm really growing fond of Knowledge though! Lots of fun in there.

Yeah it annoys me too that Duplicity is so strong, at least compare to a lot of the other cults (they need a boost). The D3 +1 warlord redeploys is fantastic too.

I think Cult of Knowledge comes close in terms of game changing spells (re-roll 1s to wound for your whole army is very strong).

I do like Cult of Time for the movement shenanigans, you can gain an extra 4" movement with scarab occult by removing dead models from the back of the unit and resurrecting at the front. This is great if someone tries to use auspex or similar strategems when you com in from reserve (you can make a 9" charge a 4" charge is they kill a model). It's also really fun with Dark Matter Crystal jump a 9 man unit of scarabs up the board, resurrect the 10th man and you have an almost guaranteed charge. Also means in general shooting your scarabs makes them faster.

Cult of Mutation is great, but you just need one caster with it.

I still like Cult of Magic cause it gives every rubric/scarab the ability to do double witchfire when you use great sorcerer, it's also messes with your opponents positioning.

The only good thing about Cult of Manipulation is the power is a target smite that does not require line of sight so you can turn it into a 1+d3MW mortar using Malevolent charge.

But it's just so hard to pass up on being able to teleport.

EDIT: I am considering cult of prophecy, kinda wish it was replace one dice value with a guaranteed 6 after the roll, rather than roll a dice and then replace any dice value after the roll with that value. Then at least you could use it for guaranteed charges and advances.

Edited by Mushkilla

Regarding Unholy Susurrus, can I just confirm that you cannot use it to swap out Smite, as it says "Select one psychic power from the disciplines [the psyker] has access to". But because Smite does not come from a discipline it cannot be chosen.

Except you are reading it wrong.

That part refers to the new spell you are adding, not the spell you are replacing.

The replaced spell is only referred by "That psychic power replaces one psychic power that unit knows"

Of course, whoops! You're totally correct. My mistake.:rolleyes: