Wolfspear - Lore and General Discussion

WrathOfTheLion

Wispy, I think you can want it, but I don’t think that you can realistically expect GW to actually print that - if GW is putting it in print, they may have some negative aspects, but they are going to be played up as possibly even greater than the Space Wolves.  Even the GW losers are winners when GW writes it!

Wispy, I think you can want it, but I don’t think that you can realistically expect GW to actually print that - if GW is putting it in print, they may have some negative aspects, but they are going to be played up as possibly even greater than the Space Wolves. Even the GW losers are winners when GW writes it!

Ah, but what is Warhammer fandom anyways if I can't make fun of other Chapters? I'm sure I'll find some way to have my fun whatever they write. :)

There are joke Chapters everywhere, like that one Blood Angel successor that didn't know they were Blood Angels thanks to a clerical error thought they were Ultramarines. some things exist to just be amusing trivia.

Edited by Wispy

Still not bothered by primaris but nice to see the wolfspear getting more than just a foonote finally for those of you who are.

'Icefang' chapter though - must've been a REAL tough day at the office when they came up with that name (sigh)

The Icefangs are interesting as well, as are the other chapters, but I'd like to keep this devoted to content about the Wolfspear chapter in particular, as mentioned in the last sentence of the topic post. We can make another thread about the other successors if we want to, including how we would see them organized or what we would want in them.

I'm hoping the article drops a couple more hints for more successors. The biggest disappointment I have with the supplement was that they didn't focus on the successors more.  I wasn't alone in that criticism either.

I expected this content to be in the Supplement, at least information on their markings, their overall look, etc.. Moving forward, I do believe this content will be merged into the next publication of Codex Supplement: Space Wolves, similar to how the Crimson Fists content is in the IF book, and the Flesh Tearers content is in the BA book.

I follow Max Feleij from the Warhammer Design studio on Instagram, and he has just posted pics of a Wolfspear Primaris marine in official colours, using transfers from a new Wolfspear transfer sheet which will be included free in White Dwarf 468!

Will post pics with confirmation when I am not on my phone.

on GWs site you can read them from the WD sample pages

1. (1CP) You select a Wolfspear core unit when it shoots or fights a target enemy unit below half strength or  equal-below half wounds (if it is a unit of one model) you get +1 to wound

2. (1CP) You select a Wolfspear core unit and an enemy within 14" , when you attack that enemy you ignore cover

3. (1CP) You select an enemy unit that lost models or any wounds and all wolfspear core units reroll charges against it

Basically they went with the theme "wolves attack as a pack when the enemy is wounded etc "you need to damage units to get mediocre buffs or buffs you get a lot easier using other ways... Maybe there are other better rules like relics and traits :(

In the contents, there is the index with lore and rules, a gallery of their painted Wolfspear army, a guide to the insignia and heraldry and both a contrast and standard paint guide. This should be a quite helpful WD for those looking at starting a force of them.

Heck, I want a few of the decal sheets (hence my lamenting them only being available via WD) just to have some extra stuff to stick on regular wolves - don’t care if they are Wolfspear icons, they look nice!

Waiting until these go on sale in the US stinks…

on GWs site you can read them from the WD sample pages

1. (1CP) You select a Wolfspear core unit when it shoots or fights a target enemy unit below half strength or  equal-below half wounds (if it is a unit of one model) you get +1 to wound

2. (1CP) You select a Wolfspear core unit and an enemy within 14" , when you attack that enemy you ignore cover

3. (1CP) You select an enemy unit that lost models or any wounds and all wolfspear core units reroll charges against it

Basically they went with the theme "wolves attack as a pack when the enemy is wounded etc "you need to damage units to get mediocre buffs or buffs you get a lot easier using other ways... Maybe there are other better rules like relics and traits :sad.:

You have to keep in mind these are pure upside if your playing a successor. You still have access to all of the stratagems in our supplement and core marine book. I also think your under rating them a bit. Conditional +1 to wound strats for 1 cp are good, and re-rolling charges for 1 cp against a unit can really help you cover a lot of ground. Judging from Goon Hammers competitive innovation articles successors already are better than space wolves, judging from the top 4 lists and this is a straight buff for those armies. 

Might be the excuse I need to run my phobos captain.

Imperiums sword and saga of wolfkin plus exploding 6s

5 attacks base + 2 from relic + 1+d3 from Warlord traits

will usually balloon up to 11+ rerolling all hits and looking for 6s

Even against T8 you have 4+ to wound and push MW on them

dude is going to be a MW factory and can solo MSU squads of 1 wound models and enemy HQs

Edited by TiguriusX