Future Liber projects - Third poll: Factions

Kelborn

Third poll - factions   

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry folks, forgot to mention that you should avoid suggesting your own creations.

Otherwise it would be quite one-sided with Astartes chapter. ;)

Edited by Kelborn

Just want to avoid everyone suggesting their very own factions.

Otherwise, we'd have quite a lot of Space Marine chapter's and nothing else besides.

Thus, I'd suggest that we suggest either canon or Liber factions of others.

Three days have past and we already have quite a lot of votes in here.

Furthermore, I see more and more discussion about an "enemy within" scenario, which I'm very found of. :smile.:

Think it's time to hear your suggestions regarding which canon/ Liber factions you'd like to have included.

Deathkorps of Krieg, Charcharodons, Word Bearers and a new Necron dynasty perhaps?

Wether it's your own creation or a canon one, which one shall we take into consideration?

The vote isn't over, we don't know what factions are even going to be definitely involved (outside of Space Marines I guess) given how often it's fluctuated already in the last few days.

Picking out which flavour of Guard to have in our story before we even know if they'll be involved is definitely putting the cart before the horse. :wacko.:

How big should we go? One world; one system; some close systems; a smaller subsector?

A subsector will give us enough planets and stars to let the Big Bad use a superweapon and/or a Chaos ritual to destroy a few, and establish him/her/itself as a grave threat to all, forcing other factions to go, "The enemy of my enemy is... not my enemy at this moment," and ally with one another in desperation, giving us many opportunities for worldbuilding, storytelling, and character development. Say the Daemon Prince who leads his own Chaos Space Marine warband, builds a second Planet Killer so he may usurp Abaddon as Supreme Warmaster of Chaos, forcing the Necrons and the Imperium into a temporary alliance, the former providing anti-Warp devices to neutralize the Daemon Prince's powers, the latter providing cannon fodder to hold back the Daemon Prince while the anti-Warp devices slowly charge up and become ready-to-use?

Incidentally if the mesoamerican theme does gain traction, I would quite like to shoehorn a Harlequin troupe in; there is plenty of mileage with them to have bizarre ritual sacrifices given their theatrical tendencies!

I note that the Quins are a fringe interest though, looks like Chaos vs Guard is the key demographic…

How big should we go? One world; one system; some close systems; a smaller subsector?

I rather had the impression of starting small, i.e. with a single world first, flesh that one out, before expanding on additional world's and systems. Step by step. :)

Edited by Kelborn

I agree with Kelborn: let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Starting small with a planet and then developing out is the smartest course of action and is likely to contribute to the success of this project. If we start too big, we'll get lost.

While I do like the day of the dead imperial cult, I dont think we should go for a full meso american theme. That is severely limiting creativity.

While I absolutely agree that it is limiting, I have to disagree on the "severely" part. I explain why I think so later when things have been more decided, since I don't want to appear to be pushing my own idea

I agree with Dos' start on a single planet (if needed with a moon) - that's still a nice amount of developmental freedom.

Also, a lot of people seem interested in developing conflicts happening between smaller combat teams (kill teams and combat patrols, potentially even RPGs), which probably involves deeper world building rather than wide (quality over quantity)

Still, we can call it a new sub-sector, but only fleshing out this planet in the short term; but later, when/if we decide to do a follow up project, we can move to a new planet in the same sub-sector

EDIT: in the same way that (I think) we should only be looking at a single planet, at least at the beginning, perhaps the number of factions focused on at the beginning should be low. Perhaps the first episode/act could focus on Necrons Vs Guard, then in act 2 we see space marines and/or admech arrive in reinforcement, and in the final act it's chaos space marines who decide to take part too (or at least that seems to be the way the votes are going)

Definitely agree with the incremental approach, both in terms of setting scale (i.e. a single planet/moon) and factions involved (i.e. two or three).

We can flesh out the rest of the system/sub-sector as/when necessary and in broad strokes, detailing areas of interest as we move from "flashpoint" to "flashpoint".

I agree with Dos' start on a single planet (if needed with a moon) - that's still a nice amount of developmental freedom.

Also, a lot of people seem interested in developing conflicts happening between smaller combat teams (kill teams and combat patrols, potentially even RPGs), which probably involves deeper world building rather than wide (quality over quantity)

Still, we can call it a new sub-sector, but only fleshing out this planet in the short term; but later, when/if we decide to do a follow up project, we can move to a new planet in the same sub-sector

EDIT: in the same way that (I think) we should only be looking at a single planet, at least at the beginning, perhaps the number of factions focused on at the beginning should be low. Perhaps the first episode/act could focus on Necrons Vs Guard, then in act 2 we see space marines and/or admech arrive in reinforcement, and in the final act it's chaos space marines who decide to take part too (or at least that seems to be the way the votes are going)

sounds like we should start with a planet where kill teams are often more effective than a big army. Classics are hive and forge world and/or worlds that are mostly jungle, swamps, mountains, and/or underground tunnels/similar Edited by Gamiel

I agree - plenty of Zone Mortals like environments

Anyway, I've been thinking further on the concept of a human cult of the Necrons/C'tan, and I keep circling back to the idea of an Adeptus Mechanicus faction who study Necrodermis and are interested in testing bio-transferance, mixed with the potential for mindshackle scarabs who infect an AdMech noosphere. I was just chatting with my Necron- and Genestealer-playing colleague, and he loved the idea of a combined force in a reflection of Imperial Guard Broodbrothers. It certainly fits some of the main Warhammer 40k thematics (enemy within, fear of progress, etc.) - what would you people think?

I agree - plenty of Zone Mortals like environments

Anyway, I've been thinking further on the concept of a human cult of the Necrons/C'tan, and I keep circling back to the idea of an Adeptus Mechanicus faction who study Necrodermis and are interested in testing bio-transferance, mixed with the potential for mindshackle scarabs who infect an AdMech noosphere. I was just chatting with my Necron- and Genestealer-playing colleague, and he loved the idea of a combined force in a reflection of Imperial Guard Broodbrothers. It certainly fits some of the main Warhammer 40k thematics (enemy within, fear of progress, etc.) - what would you people think?

So as a Genestealer Cult is to Tyranids, Necron-AdMech Cult is to Necrons?

How about picking the top two sub-factions from the Imperium and Xenos factions (the major factions with most votes), i.e. Astra Militarum and Necrons?

I think we might need another poll, for people who voted for Chaos and Aelderi to recast their votes. Make the options something like

Poll 1:

Astra Militarum

Adeptes Astartes

Poll 2:

Necrons

Tau

There is a short-story precedent for tech-priests being infected by the flayer virus - in addition to the vast variety of Necron cults, general xenarites and Necron's impostering as humans.

Is there? I would love to learn more for....research

A (in my mind) more elegant solution could be to do a first article detailing the initial encounters between a local and/or stationed Militarum regiment and the forward elements of a Necron dynasty coming out of stasis alongside their corruped AdMech allies.

The second article could focus on one/two Inquisitor(s) sticking their nose in after word gets out about the corrupted AdMech (Ordo Xenos and/or Machinum would be ideal for this). Limited ressources force the Imperial forces to fight guerilla-style until reinforcements (Deathwatch?) arrive.

Third article could show the Adeptus Astartes' arrival and battle with the Necrontyr, with an AdMech force not far behind to make sure word about their wayward kin doesn't leave the planet.

Fourth article would conclude the whole show and deal with the aftermath of the whole conflict.

If need be, we could probably fit the T'au in here somewhere and give them a motive.

Just some ideas, feel free to rip apart as/when necessary. :)