++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week++

gallery_58096_7835_297847.gif

++Scarab Occult Terminators++

New codex, new discussions about units! As we already have in other faction sections, this is the Thousand Sons Unit of the Week series, where each week we select and dissect a datasheet found in the book, and discuss how we use the unit in-game, favoured loadouts and combos, essentially how to use these units best. What have you found that works, and what doesnt? Please try to stick to the idea of making the unit in question work, as opposed to pointing out other units that might do a better job - we'll get to those in time!

This week, we will be discussing the former premier bodyguards of the Thousand Sons Legion, the Scarab Occult Terminators. These Terminator Plate Clad warriors were the paragons of their legion, now reduced to automata, however no less deadly.

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use the unit?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What <GREAT CULT>, loadouts, spell relic and Stratagem support do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit, and if so, how?
  • Are you building as a damage dealer or buff-provider?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play
  • How have they fared for you in-game?

Over to you.

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week Index Link++

Was a bit late on opening the UotW topic this week, so we'll leave this one open for an extra week, as there's plenty to talk about. I think the main discussion will be on whether you take 1x10, or 2x5, or maybe even 2x10 man units?!

I think we can all agree that SOT are a great unit, but how is it best to take them? Time to get models back, or Duplicity to 'port them around?

Edited by Xenith

I've got 2x5 and 1x10. While I haven't played any 9th yet I think I might try two patrol detachments when I finally get to it. The 1x10 would probably be in time and be the center table anchor, and the 5 man squads (whether I take one or both) would be duplicity for flank harrassment.

This would've backed up by a number of MSU rubrics with SRC's (It's just too good to not take).

Edited by Paladin777

Feels to me that once you fill your needs on HQs and Troop you always go straight to SOT... Rule of Cool goes far, but so does decent rules :tongue.: I need to settle on how I'll be taking mine, aside from Hellfyre and SRC as default so I'll be reading this topic with interest :thumbsup:

Indeed. White it was once pretty pointless, the SRC now offers actual value in the S6 wounding Sisters, admech, T3 on a 2+ while denying their saves - it also helps with plague marines, with lots of high AP D1 attacks. 

Hellfyres are worth it for the points, I think. On average, you'll kill a primaris a turn, just about, which is a great ROI on the upgrade. I stick the Hellfyre and SRC on the same model, who is the second last to die before the sorcerer, and a single model to bring back with the Time Flux ability. 

It's weird I kinda find they aren't expendable enough. For me they are a unit I don't want to lose which distracts from trying to keep my sorcerers alive. I tried running a squad of 5, they were not bad. Just not amazing. They need support (hog all the blessings, need presage and to be near a character for re-roll 1s). Movement 5" is just rough (compared to 7-12" on rubrics). I like the concept of 24" shooting and charging onto objectives but in practice its just been underwhelming. Gives my opponent a more efficient target for their AT weapons too. 

I think my list/playstyle completely skews my perception though. They are clearly great in other lists. 

Edited by Mushkilla

I have seen a lot of love for the 10-man brick fully supported by multiple shooting buffs. It’s a leafblower in that configuration, but when you factor in necessary support (Ahriman and IM, unit upgrades, screening units) you’re in the neighbourhood of 800-900 points. My interpretation is that you’re getting much better mileage from these abilities on a more expensive unit.

I haven’t seen anybody crack the code on using them as MSU yet.

so I've seen them successful a number of ways. 

a brick of 10 with 2 hellfyre missiles, 2 SRCs

or 2- 5 man squads some with and some without SRCs but with 1 HFMR

When I build mine I'll be putting the missle racks on normal SOTs. I know some people put them on the SRCs and this is a good idea as well but incase I Want to take 2 -5man units I'd rather have them on normal termi's.

Long term - I'll build 2 units of 10 with 2 missile racks and 2 SRCs per squad. This will give me enough to run MSU or just full bricks if I need them. I kind of think 15 is too many to support properly. But I'll need to play more to really understand it.

so I've seen them successful a number of ways. 

a brick of 10 with 2 hellfyre missiles, 2 SRCs

or 2- 5 man squads some with and some without SRCs but with 1 HFMR

When I build mine I'll be putting the missle racks on normal SOTs. I know some people put them on the SRCs and this is a good idea as well but incase I Want to take 2 -5man units I'd rather have them on normal termi's.

Long term - I'll build 2 units of 10 with 2 missile racks and 2 SRCs per squad. This will give me enough to run MSU or just full bricks if I need them. I kind of think 15 is too many to support properly. But I'll need to play more to really understand it.

Hopefully you use magnets. I put an arm magnet on both my missile termi and a regular one in  case I want both weapons on the same or different models. The rack is magnetized as well. All options interchangeable. Future proof that expensive shiz! 

Edited by Ahzek451

I've been playing with them as a 3x5.

My troops are usually rounded out by 3x5 Rubrics and 3x10 Tzaangors. This gives me a lot of obsec and tradeable bodies.

Tzaangors usually go in first and get whomped. If they don't it's free primary points. The SoTs counter charge once the goats get wiped, usually taking out whatever gets in their way with some mortal wound support.

They are just so versatile in this config for me. SoTs play the game in all phases and so I use them kind of like defensive backs in football. (American) They hover in the second fire line looking for gaps in my board control to plug while rubrics hold my objs and screen out backfield deep strikes.

So far it's been going well against my more combat oriented friends who play Space Wolves and Custodes competitive lists. Grey Knights have been pretty tough though. Against shooting lists T-Sons do well overall I feel.

Cult-wise I've been using good ol Duplicity or Time. Although depending on what else is in the list there are other cults that work well too, Scheming and Magic come to mind.

Edited by Xenoscry

Tzaangors usually go in first and get whomped. If they don't it's free primary points. The SoTs counter charge once the goats get wiped, usually taking out whatever gets in their way with some mortal wound support.

Good tactic and something I havent been doing in 9th in general - sacrificial unit to go and take the objective to bait the charge and trade. I need to up my game! 

I've got another 5 SOT's on my painting table. I think as an army, if you're running SOT's, 5 is too few, and being the ovious target get focussed down. 1x10 or 2x5 would seem a sweet spot, then more if you want to make them the main focus of the list. 

Good tactic and something I havent been doing in 9th in general - sacrificial unit to go and take the objective to bait the charge and trade. I need to up my game!

I've got another 5 SOT's on my painting table. I think as an army, if you're running SOT's, 5 is too few, and being the ovious target get focussed down. 1x10 or 2x5 would seem a sweet spot, then more if you want to make them the main focus of the list.

I also HIGHLY recommend a DP with wings, sword & claw, undying form, conniving plate, swelled by the warp, and temporal manipulation.

You get a DP with a 2+/4++, 12" move, thats -1 damage, STR 9 -3AP Damage 3 with 6 attacks. He's tanky and will lay out anything Death Guard that ain't named Mortarion... and then heal itself. For extra spice use a strat to drop the cult power and pick up Twist of Fate to ensure maximum destruction.

Vengeance for Prospero!

Edited by Xenoscry

• 2 months later...

I've used 1x5 in a few games, and 1x 10, and I can say the 1x10 is so much better just in terms of survivability - you can keep them coming back with Time Flux, while 5 stand a chance of being wiped in one go. As a protective brick for my sorcs to hide in, I've had success with 10, but need to try 2x5. I think I'll be looking at swapping a 10 man rube unit in my list for another 5 man SOT, for 1x10 and 1x5 in the list overall.