After working on my Word Bearers a bit, I've built my two boxes of Sword Brethren, and built up a castellan I like even better than the first. I tried to make them each unique:

Xkt6aSc.jpeg

oLH4DQo.jpeg

PxAHdGb.jpeg

3ygJDE6.jpeg

pcQGPo3.jpeg

fydALLW.jpeg

0IeU5Ep.jpeg

1VjGe0t.jpeg

iqDHWgX.jpeg

qtk57ig.jpeg

I am absurdly messy with glue... :(

Edited by Khornestar

• 3 weeks later...

I've sprayed them all with black primer, not worth taking a pic just for that.

I've put together my army list based on minis I own, still need to assemble a few but I'm super excited to play with this list sooner or later:

Not sure what litanies to pick for the biker chaplain:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [102 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain [5 PL, 85pts]: 1. Litany of Faith (Aura), Ancient Breviary, Litany of Hate

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 150pts]: Chapter Command:  Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Master of Arms, Stratagem: Heir of Sigismund, Tannhauser's Bones, Warlord, Wise Orator

The Emperor's Champion [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Frontline Commander, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [6 PL, 115pts]: Fist of Balthus
. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power fist

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

Primaris Crusader Squad [10 PL, 183pts]: Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword
. 5x Primaris Initiate w/Chainsword & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. 4x Primaris Neophytes: 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Primaris Sword Brother: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power sword

Primaris Crusader Squad [10 PL, 183pts]: Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword
. 5x Primaris Initiate w/Chainsword & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. 4x Primaris Neophytes: 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Primaris Sword Brother: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power sword

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 2x Bladeguard Veteran: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted power sword, 2x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts]

Primaris Apothecary [5 PL, 115pts]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, The Crusader's Helm

Primaris Sword Brethren Squad [14 PL, 244pts]
. Primaris Sword Brethren: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer
. Primaris Sword Brethren: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer
. Primaris Sword Brethren: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 195pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 195pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle
. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [102 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Edited by Khornestar

I really like this list… have you considered Master of Arms for the EC ?

I have! I’m not totally set on the warlord traits or litanies tbh, I feel like I’ll have to play around and see what ends up working well.

Nice showcase of the available Templar Range. Incidentally, this was something I was looking for recently - to see what one can do with the new kits. The small adjustments to the Marshal make him look pretty unique - like it's a completely different model. I like it.

Very dynamic!

Nice showcase of the available Templar Range. Incidentally, this was something I was looking for recently - to see what one can do with the new kits. The small adjustments to the Marshal make him look pretty unique - like it's a completely different model. I like it.

Tyvm!

Given that the kits were designed to be interchangeable, I thought I’d explore that. Plus a little cutting here and there. Best time I’ve had building minis in a while, though the newer CSM kits are decent too. Still, not this good.

A couple updates:

Finished building the Marshal:

lEd1LGe.jpeg

AB5v41e.jpeg

Swapped out the Castellan's sword to the Sword of Judgment. Those were a stressful couple of cuts! Photos are a bit washed out:

EdfKFDx.jpeg

ItnFgh8.jpeg

rEy5s9o.jpeg

Better pictures and more of the command squad:

Chief Apothecary Hrair with some new bits from the BT upgrade sprue:

rARjjrj.jpeg

kQcu1ER.jpeg

EgiSmgQ.jpeg

Chief Techmarine Grigor

VlpeeCi.jpeg

Finally happy with Castellan Artin, but slightly peeved I didn't get the sword blade perfectly centered on the crossguard. Ooooh well:

X4kqECk.jpeg

NsthRC5.jpeg

pHfjJFX.jpeg

Spent a bit of time building my second crusader squad. Here's the Sword Brother from the kit. I usually go for something a bit more violent in terms of pose, so with this guy I saw the combination of bits and tried out something different. Brother Narek coordinates logistics with his wrist doohicky, and carries a big chainsword:

X9FcQTF.jpeg

uOgBSxI.jpeg

EyUiQJ6.jpeg

Sword Brother is fully built and based now, ready for primer. I really like the purity seal on his wrist device, as it turned into a way to add a sacred duty to the coordination of logistics/defenses serving under the Castellan. He has a sacred chainsword as well, but this purity seal reminds him of the oath he swore to fulfill his role. For the basing, I decided to start using the crackle texture stuff, since I have it:

ld4F6vU.jpeg

Or5CjKu.jpeg

YEVMMbY.jpeg

And the four Neophytes. 3 of them use heads from the upgrade kit, to differentiate them from the other unit:

UtfJcl5.jpeg

HiLnXFQ.jpeg

FVON6NM.jpeg

For this one, he's carrying a relic helmet of the Ararat Crusade. Since I refuse to build anyone other than neophytes without a helmet, and still wanted to use this arm, the idea is that during battle an initiate may have need of this helmet. Perhaps it's artificer armor, contains unique sensors of some kind, resists psychic powers, etc. The neophyte is ready to respond, have the initiate swear the oath contained on the purity seal attached to the helm, and then go honor the oath. This head was from the impulsor kit. I didn’t like it, so I swapped it out to a neophyte head after taking the picture.

0xa67bz.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

As of yet unnamed Judiciar and Chaplain:

YumGyyU.jpeg

EnIKQWf.jpeg

gMMLWm7.jpeg

hdEL2PU.jpeg

si12Qbp.jpeg

I've been spending a lot of time writing the background narrative for this army and the greater conflict with the Word Bearers. Will post some in the next few days, I hope.

Nice basing materials!

Good luck painting the inside of that pink piping... though I assume if you have an airbrush it should be pretty easy :biggrin.:

Thanks! I do have an airbrush, so the black primer helped a lot. I also filled the inside with superglue gel, so the lack of paint on the inside would be blocked off. I intend to paint it with nurgle's rot and such to make it look like a sewage/similar pipe.

Also, I'm much happier with these characters seeing them in black. The chaplain I was sold on, but the judiciar not so much. Now I'm digging it.

wckZT7x.jpeg

BkAQX8K.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

An initiate from my second crusader squad. Brother Ovsep, swearing an oath to slay the filthy witch he's advancing toward. In the narrative of the conflict between my armies, the Word Bearers are utilizing a sorcery they call "the thorns." Thorns are crystalline/spike structures that are conjured, and serve as anchors for warp entities. This allows the daemons they summon to manifest with greater vigor, perhaps remaining corporeal for longer than they otherwise would be able to.

Brother Ovsep walks amongst the thorns without concern. The holy words of the Emperor and his power sword are all he needs to end the witch.

HdLhqd2.jpeg

T5yoo4f.jpeg

I'm not totally sold on the thorns, but I think I'll scrape most of the crackling mud off of them and build up soil/gravel to fill in the spaces.

Some lovely modelling here, I’m looking forward to seeing some painting on these beautiful models!

Thank you! Always the part that takes me the longest, but right now I’ve been using whatever time I have in the morning to build, as it’s the easiest to quickly clean up and change a diaper, cook a wife a burrito, etc. Will be having surgery in a few days and looking forward to continuing my momentum as I recover.

These BT kits are just a treasure to me, best hobby fun I’ve had in years building them.

Edited by Khornestar

Everything looks better in black.

The impulsor Accipiter :

XpI4seo.jpeg

TzdjZmL.jpeg

U8zmAQR.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Ovsep in black, with the basing filled in. It's hard to see the details on the thorns but I like how it looks now:

sAchtze.jpeg

IljCSL4.jpeg

Recovering well from surgery, decided to spend post night-night time building another initiate for the primaris crusader squad:

Brother Initiate Kroisos:

TosOxdO.jpeg

bfk1d8m.jpeg

Took the opportunity to do minor cuts/reposes so there's some variety among the other two crusader squads (only one of which is built so far, partway into the second). Seeing him now, there are lots of lines left to clean up, ugh.

Edited by Khornestar

Continued building. 

Brother-Initiate Harut incinerates his foes before smashing them aside:

3PE8H1Z.jpeg7RV3nLl.jpeg

I'm very pleased with the way the reposes are working out, even if they're minor.

Edited by Khornestar

Spraying the black primer on always brings things together. 

I had a snaffu with Brother-Initiate Narek (power sword) where I forgot what happened to the unit's Sword Brother and thought it was supposed to be him, broke a few bits off, etc.

Well, he doesn't have the book any more, but a fancy purity seal:

mGC5CJb.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Harut ended up with his book:

DTvHXfb.jpeg

n1zWdha.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Kroisos:

qwfCiOD.jpeg

nbxv7nt.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Pietros:

0hVIPZF.jpeg

EI7md7J.jpeg

Realized I was still missing an initiate at 9 models built and sprayed.

Brother-Initiate Dikran: the second power fist for the unit. I felt like a little something was needed to balance the bulk of his backpack due to the skull ornament hanging from it.

I had a random space wolf knife lying around on the table, so I went for it. Rather than paint the sheath as leather, it's going to be a wrapped parchment covered with the text of Brother Dikran's oaths, sealed/bound with golden thread. I also added a couple more "thorns" that a Word Bearers sorcerer is conjuring. These two are bursting forth through the rocky soil.

Xq7n6tV.jpeg

KILYllc.jpeg