The Casual Heretic’s Crusade

Casual Heresy

Well the bad news is I’ve caught Nurgle’s gift after successfully dodging it for two years, but thankfully haven’t been too bad so far so still able to paint!

I’ll be able to finish the Contemptor this afternoon (just reds and the basing to go). 

D5318C53-A158-4167-A9D0-2C59970AAE83.thumb.jpeg.f969f80783469dcf3bf61976320d94dc.jpeg

Apologies for the double post. 

Progress is slowed by Nurgles generous touch but still periodically well enough to paint. The Contemptor is finished (minus grass tufts) and I’m nearing the final stretch on Redemptor number 1. Hoping to finish him by tomorrow so I can make a start on the second. 

736A4D3F-C247-4E18-AC03-28ABDB2BA38B.thumb.jpeg.ff11f976d4716f4b489509bf5d306f51.jpeg084DACF0-C847-4A6D-A1DD-A74B76364B75.thumb.jpeg.de7ff1be70f490950f5bc0133b872c53.jpeg4559BE64-3DD3-4D26-A7E0-35159B0FCACF.thumb.jpeg.2279db627be91c0338f4314bdcd44dd3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Less than a week to go until I head down to Nottingham for Throne of Skulls. I've made a last minute tweak to my list, dropping Grimaldus and the Castellan in favour of Helbrecht and a firstborn Chaplain with Power Fist.

The reasons for the change are twofold. Firstly, I'm running out of time to paint and I can fully paint a single Chaplain to my highest standard quicker than I can do so for Grimaldus and his hangers on. Secondly, during my practise games with this list Grimaldus just hasn't been working for me and I' have to keep refrencing back to his rules and forgetting about his bonuses. The changes I've made make things a little easier for me to keep straight durring a game and the freed up points have also allowed Bone of Mordred on the Bladeguard as well as Helbrecht.

In terms of tactics, the list functions in three parts. The Chaplain and the Crusader Squad move together at the back to mid field to keep objectives or counter attack. Dreadnought and Techmarine obviously stick together and will target scary things. Helbrecht and bladeguard and attackbikes are a mobile reserve to nip in and grab objectives, hunt vehicles/ characters or take advantage of units weakened by the Dreadnoughts fire power.

HQ

High Marshal Helbrecht, Warlord

Chaplain with Master of Sanctity, Ancient Breviary, and Power Fist. Litanies: Litany of Hate, Litany of Divine Protection, Plea of Deliverance

Primaris Techmarine with Master of the Forge and Hero of the Chapter (Warden of the Ancients)

Troops

Primaris Crusader Squad with 3x auto-boltrifles, 2x pyre blasters, Sword Brother with sword and heavy bolt pistol, 4x neophytes with carbines.

Primaris Crusader Squad with 3x auto-boltrifles, 2x pyre blasters, Sword Brother with sword and heavy bolt pistol, 4x neophytes with shotguns.

Primaris Crusader Squad with 3x heavy bolt pistols and chainswords, 2x power fists, Sword Brother with axe and pyre pistol, 4x neophytes with pistols and chainswords.

Elites

5x bladeguard, Sergeant with neo-volkite pistol and Bones of Mordred

Redemptor Dreadnought with Macro Plasma Incinerator, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon and 2x Stormbolters

Redemptor Dreadnought with Macro Plasma Incinerator, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon and 2x Stormbolters

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought with 2x Twin Volkite Culverin

Fast Attack

Attack bike with mulit melta.

Dedicated Transport

Impulsor with Ironhail Skytalon Array, storm bolters and multi melta.

On 7/3/2022 at 11:21 PM, Casual Heresy said:

Thank you Black Blow Fly!

I got my first game with the full tournament list yesterday against my mate’s Death Guard. I want to tweak relics/warlord traits but overall I’m very happy with how the list works. Everything performed as I hoped. The Dreadnoughts were unassailable most of the game and we’re able to respond to any threat. I kept all three close together so the redemptors could benefit from wisdom of the ancients on the contemptor every turn. Grimaldus felt a little underwhelming, but I think it’s more down to my inexperience using him. 

The Nephilium points changes have given me some wiggle room so considering some tweaks. I may drop Grimaldus and the castellan for helbrecht and either a standard chaplain or a biker. May also go with a marshal with axe and plasma pistol instead of the castellan as I missed rerolling 1s to hit on the blade guard more than rerolling 1s to wound benefitted me. 

Either way need to focus on painting for a bit. Currently planning to have the Dreadnought finished by the end of next week. 

8C440281-A302-4F0A-A894-C52B33B1CD4A.thumb.jpeg.e038a36cf7092c1082b8721ae5246497.jpeg

B5C6BF21-7384-4448-8CC3-7A842C86BEC3.thumb.jpeg.e153ef45848b7161b2a17ce1d50d82ae.jpeg

to be honest... that game you cannot loose. There is absolutely no terrain and you have guns -  daemones dont.

Trust me when I say it wasn't a clear cut game Medjugorje. My opponent was leading for most of it on points, and Death Guard (not daemons) can shrug off some obscene amounts of damage. In the end only one dreadnought survived and less than half the crusaders in total. In the end I one thanks to a lucky hand of tempest cards in one turn, and sacrificing a Redemptor to hold back blightlords and their support so my remaining units could move and achieve those objectives. But then that's what I love about this game; what can look like a certain victory based on mathhammer and assumptions is anything but certain, regardless of skill levels.

And just like that it’s tournament day! We kick off at ten so plenty of time for a coffee and a quick maintenance check on the army.

Through the day if I can with pictures and takes from the battlefields of Nottingham. 

I’m not the only Templar player here today so I’ll have to work at it if I want to the highest scoring crusader present this time. 

But at the end of the day my ambitions are the same as last time: don’t come last and have fun rolling dice!

7DEEA95E-E4AB-4659-AEE6-EE6E308FEEDE.thumb.jpeg.bc2b61059dd3870ff3bef0e32520acb6.jpeg

Thank you Jud! They’ve been doing some serious damage throughout the weekend. 

That’s the end of the day and in a shocking development I came 17th out of 70 players! 

I won two games and lost three, but got five favourite game votes. I was actually tied for most sporting player, but lost out to the winner on tournament points as a tie breaker.

It was a brilliant weekend overall and definitely more my pace than a grand tournament I think.

There is no rest for my crusade however. On the 3rd September I’m travelling back to my old stomping grounds in Aberdeen for a one day Pariah Nexus tournament at Warhammer Aberdeen! So next week will see some list tinkering for that. Until then though, thinks I’ve earned a pint!

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and another tournament looms for my crusade.

On Saturday I'll be up in Aberdeen for the first heat in their organised play tournament. Goal for this is to hopefully come in the top eight so I can qualify for the final in October.

List wise I'm going with the same models I took to Throne of Skulls with small tweaks. I'm dropping hero of the chapter on the Master of the Forge. Warden of the Ancients was nice during Throne of Skulls for when the Redemptors got stuck into combat (and one time the Contemptor desperately drop kicked a Skitarii Marshal), but it wasn't useful enough to warrant spending a command point on it this time with the limited pool available.

I'm more inclined to make the Master of the Forge the warlord though, probably with Storm of Fire as I can easily protect him, and I can send Helbrecht off to Monster hunt freely. Think I might keep Ancient Breviary on the Chaplain, but will change his litanies to Divine Protection and Remorseless Persecution. Leaves me with 3CP to start, which could be tight, so dropping the Breviary might be an idea.

Secondaries is where I could use the guidance of my fellow initiates and Chaplains. I haven't been able to get any games in with Nephilium so far so have no first hand experience of the updates secondaries. My instinct is to avoid objectives requiring actions. But would love to hear people's opinions to supplement my lack of experience here.

And so another day ends and further honour has been offered to the Emperor and the Chapter. 

Had a great time at a one day tournament in Aberdeen today. Managed two wins and loss, which means that due to it being small affair I was able to place 4th. 

First game was tough against Thousand Sons with Magnus among other things. Did managed to kill the witch but due to some shoddy luck on shooting and saves it was a loss for me. 

Second game was against Farsighted Enclaves against a guy who was also at the Throne of Skulls tournament last month. The Volkite Contemptor really shined here, mowing down any fire warrior squad that looked at him funny. Ended 79-31. 

Final game was against Grey Knights with as many Dreadknights as my opponent could squeeze in. He should have been more aggressive with them as I was able to isolate each one and either kill it or keep it occupied while the rest of the army claimed objectives. 

My prize for this is qualifying for the final in October so I can compete for one of those shiny glass war zone Nephilium organised play trophies. Looking forward to it but need a rest before I think about tweaking my list for then. 

1DBC9FA5-D598-445A-BA7B-CABC84C61DD7.thumb.jpeg.77773515ed2f225727a0548f3b20b609.jpeg

Edited by Casual Heresy

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated. 

Yesterday my Templars went to war in Aberdeen again in the final to compete for one of those shiny warzone nephilium trophies. It didn’t go as well as last time. I played against Custodes for the first time ever in my first game and was brutalised. Second game was against Grey Knights, the same player I faced last time, and I managed a win there with 89 pts. Last game was against Harlequins, another army I’ve never faced before. I lost again but it was much closer this time at 89-86. 

But for the first time ever, I won best painted army! It something I’ve always wanted to manage so I’m over the moon. 

I’m going to take a wee break from painting Templars while O work on a new competitive(ish) list for my venerable Grey Knights army, Heresy Ultramarines, and other projects. I’ve got a few models still in the pipeline for the templars though including Grimaldus, the Emperor’s Champion and other bits and bobs. 

Ultimately though I’ll return to adding new units and there are a few things I’d like to try to diversify my lists. 

- Gladiator Valiant. I love the model and the fact I can nail an extra multi melta on makes it an appealing choice. 

- Assault Centurions. A unit I’ve never used but I think could be fun to have charging out of my Land Raider Crusader. 

- New troops choices. I love the Primaris Crusader squads and they’ve served me very well but Always feel I’m wasting the potential of one squad by having it hang back to secure the hone objective. Thinking maybe an infiltrator or first born crusader squad could fill the role. And I’m tempted to buff the chain sword crusaders I have to 20 men. 

Either way I’ve got plenty to be getting on with!

• 3 months later...

A new Year dawns and now my crusade is gearing up for another tournament. This time it is the Throne of Skulls Doubles at Warhammer World. I’m going with my best mate who is taking guard. So while he focuses on holding ground and battering our foes with artillery I will be aiming to ram as many chainswords and multi meltas into their faces as possible. 

Since it’s a Throne of Skulls and the weekend is more about having a good time with my best mate to celebrate his impending wedding I’m not making my side of the list a competitive power house but focussing on fun and thematic, with the new models I’m working on being fun thins I want to add to the collection. 

First up is a Gladiator Valiant with extra multi melta, because who doesn’t love a tank with so many anti tank shots it counts as anti infantry. 

6E77990D-E162-4C74-89BD-A2BB11CB2CD9.thumb.jpeg.2d853bc1933227a636b445f48b64de82.jpeg

A242F92D-D922-4F5C-95AC-75972A4AD1EE.thumb.jpeg.935fc00fe4214f422ccd715d1b36dfbe.jpeg

42FCF554-36FE-4CB6-B8F6-CB4DA248E69C.thumb.jpeg.734b83abc42092bb6fefd2200be19270.jpeg

Also leaving the work bench is a squad of assault intercessors kitbashed from two sets of ETB assault intercessors and spare parts from my Black Templar bitz box. 

2ADC0C38-2ADC-451C-B2E3-4A106DC717E3.thumb.jpeg.9d62a1e365eda53d4f3d2e2e2a4aa80c.jpeg

C863CA25-B48F-4319-9FEA-7FC050707605.thumb.jpeg.4662616c8b2fee8ae3cd20c4f4de62ff.jpeg

next up for building is a new squad of chainsword and powerfist Primaris crusaders and then and then on to painting the new recruits including a whirlwind and Grimaldus which are already primed. 

If it helps your decision at all, I found the kit weirdly much more fun to build that the basic Impulsor. I'm looking forward to trying it out. With the points drops and sticky objectives helping all marines play more aggressively the Valiant feels like a more attractive choice. If this one performs well at 1k I'd seriously consider another at 2k.

Finished my new combat crusader squad today so that’s all the new additions built and waiting on a good spraying day (a tall order in Scotland). 

70129C6A-8F83-46A8-93B9-80E9A1A5D14B.thumb.jpeg.fb1ef18c5c834a2005927d8dba705c09.jpeg

The Sword Brother for this unit is a tribute to Klaus from the Big Brothers web comic. 

A326A3AE-1FDA-46EE-95A8-7FEE1A80B5B0.thumb.jpeg.8c9fe47fd785ca436f33c365d58d7070.jpeg

Edited by Casual Heresy