Random Chapter Inspiration Thread

Minigiant

14 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Something I plan to do but want to share: I am thinking of using Night Lords heads (have some of the old CSM ones), and maybe shoulderpads, togheter with AoS' Lizardmen bits to creat a Camazotz themed chapter. What do people think could be fitting names for such a chapter? Camazotz means "death bat" in the Kʼicheʼ language you could just go with 'Death Bats', but I feel like there should be more possible names but can't come up with any. Suggestions? 

Also, do people any idea about fitting colours?

How about orange and black, like the image seen here? Black for night, and for the Marines' self-appointed duty as executioners; orange for the joy they bring to Imperial subjects, when the latter may enjoy a moment of peace after one of Emperor's enemies is executed (or for the joy they bring themselves, as war allows them to indulge in the sadistic pleasure of torturing an enemy to death).

A Blood Angels successor (or a Loyalist Chapter secretly Founded with Night Lords gene-seed) is too obvious for a bat-themed Chapter. How about making them Imperial Fists successors, as the latter can claim "We never sleep," due to their sus-an membrane's zygote deficiency?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

On 11/24/2022 at 12:54 AM, Gamiel said:

Something I plan to do but want to share: I am thinking of using Night Lords heads (have some of the old CSM ones), and maybe shoulderpads, togheter with AoS' Lizardmen bits to creat a Camazotz themed chapter.

Thought of some ways you can justify the use of Night Lords helmets in a Loyalist Chapter.

1) The bat wings decorating the helmet, are auspex antennas, granting the Marines the in-game ability to prevent enemy units from infiltrating within 12", and to re-roll one failed To Hit roll per Turn. (I fear reusing Night Lords helmets taken as prizes from defeated Traitor Marines, will grant the Chaos Gods an avenue through which the Loyalist Marines may be corrupted, in-story.)

2) The Night Lords "liberated" a human world from xenos tyrants, during the Great Crusade; the Loyalist Chapter then seized this world from its Night Lords masters, during the Scouring. To maintain the impression they're the ones who "liberated" the human inhabitants from the xenos, the Loyalists then adopted helmets resembling that of the Night Lords. (Black Dawn and Wrath of Iron state Imperial censors will edit historical records, e.g., claim Guilliman was the one who liberated a planet instead of Horus, in the case of Black Dawn; and editing the combat records of the general who committed mutiny against the Iron Hands Captain who was the senior commander during the Purging of Contqual, so more "reliable" generals will get the credit for the he mutinous general's prior victories.)

3) The Loyalists adopted the Night Lords' terror tactics, either during the Great Crusade, when they fought alongside one another; or after, to "fight fire with fire" and reclaim planets under the Traitor Marines' influence, during the Scouring.

As for a Chapter name, how about "Sons of Ixquic" or "Sons of the Blood Moon", after the mother of the Maya Hero Twins who faced Camazotz in mythology? Claim Ixquic is the inhabitable moon of a gas giant, like the Sanctuary Moon of Endor...

The old Deathwatch RPG had, as mentioned eralier, a "make your own SM Chapter" system and something I think they did wrong was having the chapter's gene-origin as the first thing you rolled. The reason I think this is that it's very easy to be looked into thinking that you need to make a variant of the "daddy" chapter, if not in warfare so in culture, especially if you are new to WH40k. What would be better, if you ask me, is that gene-seed origin is one of the things you roles on last, after you have gotten some things that have given you an idea about this new chapter, and then you think about how their now revealed gene-seed origins affect your chapter regarding interactions with "daddy", how they deal with possible gene-curses and similar.

Do others think different, agree or something else?

11 hours ago, Gamiel said:

The old Deathwatch RPG had, as mentioned eralier, a "make your own SM Chapter" system and something I think they did wrong was having the chapter's gene-origin as the first thing you rolled. The reason I think this is that it's very easy to be looked into thinking that you need to make a variant of the "daddy" chapter, if not in warfare so in culture, especially if you are new to WH40k. What would be better, if you ask me, is that gene-seed origin is one of the things you roles on last, after you have gotten some things that have given you an idea about this new chapter, and then you think about how their now revealed gene-seed origins affect your chapter regarding interactions with "daddy", how they deal with possible gene-curses and similar.

Do others think different, agree or something else?

For me, gene-seed is relevant to the IMPRESSION I want my Marines to have on those reading my IA. If I want readers to think of them as technocratic professionals, I'll read Lexicanum articles on which canon Chapters have such a reputation in-universe, and then claim my IA Chapter shares their gene-seed- likewise for one I want readers to think of as bloodthirsty savages.

In short, start with the IA Chapter's THEME, and then match the gene-seed to that theme.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Some more armour colours concepts, this time inspiered by illustrations from Legends of the 5 Rings RPG: 

Purple with black pauldrons and imperialis, yellow/gold pauldron trim, belt, faceplate and as “secondary” colour.

Black with red upper arms, boots, and head.

Yellow with red torso and backpack.

Blue-green with purple-pink arms, legs and faceplate

Dark-blue/metallic-blue with yellow backpack

Pale turquoise with green (non-dark) head and backpack, red pauldron trim

Green (non-dark) with white backpack, and black hands and feet

Yellow with red pauldrons, arms and backpack

Blue with black pauldrons, yellow/gold gauntlets, pauldron trim, imperialis, faceplate, and as “secondary” colour

Beige/yellow-beige with white head and backpack, green gauntlets and faceplate

Burgundy-pink with white head and backpack

Purple with blue boots, and white arms

Grey-green-brown with purple-red backpack, crutch and thighs

White with red pauldrons, belt, backpack and greaves, copper/copper-brown arms and head

Blue with purple imperialis, faceplate and arms. Gold/yellow as “secondary” colour

Yellow/gold with purple crutch and thighs

Orange with green backpack, pauldrons and greaves

Bronze with burgundy boots and backpack

Purple with light-blue gauntlets and helmet/faceplate

Quartered purple and yellow

Black with red cuirass and purple legs

Quartered red and black

Blue (non-dark) with white backpack, pauldron trim, feet, greaves, hands, and helmet (faceplate blue)

Green with red pauldrons, crutch, tights, and helmets (faceplate green). Yellow as “secondary” colour

Orange with copper gauntlets, greaves, and faceplate, black feet and pauldron trim

Red with grey-purple arms, thighs and helmet (faceplate red)

Red with black pauldron trim, hands, belt and helmet (faceplate red)

Purple (not dark) with beige/ beige-yellow pauldron trim, arms and boots

Edited by Gamiel

• 2 months later...

Something I thought about a week ago was that Seraphons have lots of snake based standards, bling and other bits, and that's something that could be used to personlise chapters with a snake theme, like the Blood VipersBlack VipersRift CobrasHowling SerpentsVipers PenitentViper Legion and maybe surviving loyal members of the Serpents of Light chapter (turned into the Predator Legion warband - or  maybe their name was reused during a later founding?). But likly not the Iron Snakes since they have an established style that's not Seraphon like. 

When it comes to snakes is there also The Splintered Fang. And you don't need to be Alpha Legion to use the snakey Alpha Legion upgrade kits parts for your serpentine chapter. There is also the Black Ark Corsairs who has some snake standard "heads" and transfers. 

Edited by Gamiel

• 1 month later...

We know that the White Scars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves have their own heraldric ways to mark out companies, squads, rank, and/or battlefield roles, and this is something that many of their successors have followed, or blended togheter with elements of the varied Codex ways of showing those. 

I want to suggest that the concept of a chapter not from any of those lineages that have adapted the heraldy of one of those chapters, or at least some elements of it. For one reason or another. 

Got an name creation bing for water/waterlife based names after takinga look at the DeviantArt based fanproject Scornful Tides. So here are some possible Chapter names (most of them already posted in the Random Warband Inspiration Thread but since it's very hard in Wh40k to say if a name belongs to a Chaos or Imperial group do I also post them here): 

Sea Wolves – alternative name for Vikings in some stories. Could go viking-ish, wolf-ish or just have that it’s a nice name.

Ebon Eels 

Mantas Mephistopheles 

Abyss Nagas 

Devil Rays 

Ran’s Own - as in the viking goddess Rán 

Gargoyles Submarined 

Shadows Bellow 

Red Tide 

Ocean Giants 

Seawrack Dragons 

Drowned Sons 

Bone Bosuns 

Keel Crushers 

Mist Reapers 

Sea Scorpions

Blood Kelpies

Waveriders

Beastmade

Blood Frenzied

Illtrawlers

Sea Witches

Sons of the Black Sea

Sea-serpents of the Deep / Deep Sea Serpents

Locker Keepers/Warden - "locker" here as in "Davy Jones' locker"

•  

• 1 month later...

Funny and Weird Ideas, by me:

"The Space Marines" AKA "Adeptus Astrates"

Founding: Undetermined

Laconic Description: Astartes that actually fight in the vacuum of space/zero gravity environments. They have to use modified bolt/las designs and jetpacks to fight in space, and magnetic boots too, but they can battle on the outside of spaceships and whatnot. Honestly, considering that most of the things going on in space take place at a much larger scale than infantry, they rarely make a difference. But hey, they believe in themselves!

Saying:  "As astra, per aspera. Multas asperas..." - "To the stars through difficulties. Many difficulties..."

Coloration and Symbols: Milky White and Reflective Gold, symbol of 4 pointed golden star. 

"Lone Wolves"

S: Loyal (Most of the time.)

F: SW

LD: Experts in solo missions and one-on-one combat. An army of one man armies who are fundamentally incapable of cooperating with others. Mechanically, they would get bonuses in smaller groups rather than larger ones, and they would use some solid weapons, like hellfrost guns and whatnot. But they are also really annoying and they tend to be complete edgelords and will whine if other people tell them what to do.

S: "We fight alone. We die alone." 

C&S: Shadow Black, Knightly White, symbol of Greek letter 'Sigma' (Σ)

"Marines Benevolent"

F: Undetermined

LD: Space Marines who were fighting tyranids out in space, and ended up having to temporarily ally with the Tau to fight them. But while they were away, their home planet succame to the forces of Chaos and was Exterminatus'd. And they were deemed to be contaminated in turn, due to being from the world. So when they got back they were all like "Screw this." and they just decided to work with the Tau instead because those weird blue anime guys never destroyed their home planet and deemed them corrupted. Are they actually corrupted by some sort of warp entity? That's probably worth considering on some level, but I won''t get into it here.

S: "Friendship ended with Emperor. Now The Greater Good is our best friend."

C&S: Tau colors and symbols. idk lol.

Part 2, Even Weirder Ideas:

(Names are not official.)

Diesel Marines. Perhaps they were stranded on a world with lower levels of technology, their own technology having mostly broken down in some unforseen crisis. The techs of the chapter had to adapt their designs to the resources around them. Regardless, generations of marines have passed and have grown used to this diesel technology due to its robustness, even if it isn't as efficient or potent as standard astartes wargear. Reintegrating with the imperium at large is jarring for them.

Marines of Iron. A chapter of space marines that went on a mission to destroy a suspected remnant group of the Men of Iron. The mission was declared a success, with all robots destroyed. But that's not what happened. The Men of Iron won, but knowing that they had been made, they dismantled the marines and replaced them. They are pretending to be regular hardworking marines out of fear that they might get discovered and destroyed by the Imperium. They are never seen outside their armor, because there is nothing inside that armor besides motors and servo joints.

Edited by 40k_fan

Part 3: Names or icons without lore:

- Montagniers

- Snallygasters

- White Rabbits

- Principalities

- The Obligated

- Marines Dutiful

- Blue Whales

- "Monsters"

- Black Priors

- Brothers Butcherous

- Black Boars

- Horn Blowers

- Razers

- Vindicators

- Marines Magnanimous

- Zebras

- Cave Bears

- Rose Thorns

Some chapter name suggestions based on the HH-era Orders Militant of the First Legion and Brotherhoods of the White Scars I see it as something that can be used for any chapter not just DA and WS successors. The ones with "brotherhood" or "order" as part of the name can have that part changed into the other one or any other kind of "group word", or you could as something like that in front of any of the other names.

Amber Eagle/s
Annihilators
Argent Spire
Black Axe/s
Bloody Shrouds
Blue Hawk/s
Broken Claws
Broken Shield
Broken Spear/s
Broken Wings
Brotherhood of the Moon
Brotherhood of the Storm
Crimson Field
Dawn Sky
Empty Sky
Foresworn
Golden Path
Golden Star
Great Eye
Hooked Blade/s
Hunter's Star
Iron Axe/s
Night's Star 
Obsidian Serpent/s
Order of Extinction
Order of Santales
Pennant Spear
Sable Wolf/ves
Shattered Crowns
Shattered Mantle
Shattered Shield
Shattered Spectre
Summer Lightning

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a piece of artwork that inspired me, it was a leopard-seal-themed space marine.

The aesthetic was pretty cool, with seal-teeth necklace and sealskin cape.

The actual marine itself was obviously heavily affected by the gene seed. His skin was greyish and almost blubbery, he had pointed teeth and beady eyes, his nose was blunted, almost snout-like, animalistic.

Very fearsome looking.

I think a chapter of them could be a good rival to the Carcharodons, perhaps they could be called the "Hydrurgons" or "Space Seals" lolol

23 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

I saw a piece of artwork that inspired me, it was a leopard-seal-themed space marine.

The aesthetic was pretty cool, with seal-teeth necklace and sealskin cape.

The actual marine itself was obviously heavily affected by the gene seed. His skin was greyish and almost blubbery, he had pointed teeth and beady eyes, his nose was blunted, almost snout-like, animalistic.

Very fearsome looking.

I think a chapter of them could be a good rival to the Carcharodons, perhaps they could be called the "Hydrurgons" or "Space Seals" lolol

I could see that happening, you really do not mess with Leopard Seals in their territory either. Would be a great spin on that too with hunting in their deemed territory and are recalcitrant towards any who seek to encroach upon their 'hunting grounds' and steal their Emperor-given prey.

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

A chapter whose Progenoid Gland has a mutation: Mutated progenoid glands could lead to an accelerated rate of gene-seed production, allowing a Space Marine to generate gene-seed cells at a much faster rate than usual. This would enable a Chapter to replenish its ranks more rapidly.

I picture them as the Death Korps of the Adeptus Astartes, throwing initiates (scouts) at the enemy lines knowing those that come back are strong enough to become marines, and those that don't can be easily replaced.

Half of a Space Marine chapter was sent to save a primitive planet on the border of the Imperium's territory, which had fallen under attack from Tyranids. During the attack, they took heavy losses to their numbers, and their space travel capabilities were crippled due to damage incurred to their transport ships. Because of that, they would have to wait for the rest of their chapter to rescue them. But at the same time, the other half of their chapter was on a mission to repel an Orc attack on a settlement on the other side of the Imperium's territory, and they suffered a similar disaster. After years of waiting, it would become apparent that help was not coming. They were forced to repopulate their numbers from the people of the planet they were trapped at. Fast forward thousands of years, and some other chapter finally comes by them and rescues one of the groups. But when they return to the rest of the Imperium, they see their other half. And as a group, all of their original members are long dead, leaving behind stories scorning the rest of their brothers for abandoning them. And that is true of both sides. So now, you have a chapter that is divided down the middle, both sides hating one another, and having completely different planets of origin and very different stories of how things went down.

Their name? The Angels of Harmony.

3 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

Half of a Space Marine chapter was sent to save a primitive planet on the border of the Imperium's territory, which had fallen under attack from Tyranids. During the attack, they took heavy losses to their numbers, and their space travel capabilities were crippled due to damage incurred to their transport ships. Because of that, they would have to wait for the rest of their chapter to rescue them. But at the same time, the other half of their chapter was on a mission to repel an Orc attack on a settlement on the other side of the Imperium's territory, and they suffered a similar disaster. After years of waiting, it would become apparent that help was not coming. They were forced to repopulate their numbers from the people of the planet they were trapped at. Fast forward thousands of years, and some other chapter finally comes by them and rescues one of the groups. But when they return to the rest of the Imperium, they see their other half. And as a group, all of their original members are long dead, leaving behind stories scorning the rest of their brothers for abandoning them. And that is true of both sides. So now, you have a chapter that is divided down the middle, both sides hating one another, and having completely different planets of origin and very different stories of how things went down.

Their name? The Angels of Harmony.

Interesting concept, I think made a little over complicated with the whole battle thing to start it off

The core tenant of the chapter that would influence everything, is divergent evolution, that is the part you really want to focus on. It would be great written as a political intrigue chapter. The High Lords of Terra concerned that there is now a chapter with 2000 marines due to no fault of their own. The Administratum having to fix clerical errors. Then internally you would have 2 Chapter Masters and differing views, reunite or maintain separation, competitively they would be given credits for what the other one had done.

Edited by Minigiant

• 3 weeks later...

Gaol Wardens.

Of unclear founding, except that it is known to predate the Age of Apostasy, there is clearly a connection to the Radical side of the Inquisition; particularly to the former followers of Inquisitor Uther Tiberius. Specializing in hunting daemons, they follow a theory that, "If daemons are a shard of their god's power, their isolation or true-death destruction will weaken the god in question." Thus they pursue a Long War against the gods themselves, capturing and creating daemonhosts (preferentially from failed Aspirants) only to lock them behind a series of arcane sigils: Should the daemonhost die, or the daemon otherwise escape, they are nonetheless trapped within the sigils. Whether attritional warfare against the Warp has any chance of success is a fundamentally unknowable question, but they and those few who know and support them mollify themselves with the knowledge that it cannot be any worse than repeatedly banishing the same daemon over and over.

As one may expect, the dwarf planet which has been converted into this holding facility, "creatively" named Oubliette, would be massively overrun by daemons should a critical number of seals be broken, and a significant fraction of their strength is permanently dedicated to protecting it against any potential incursion which may damage these seals.

The Summators - A "Loyal" Space Marine Chapter

This founding legion of this chapter is known. They were once a group of Imperial Fists. But during the Horus Heresey, their supplies ran low. And they were forced to supplement their original stock with traitor gene seed. They were not the only chapter that did this. Of course, when space marines do this, they don't usually tell anyone else about it.

They used Alpha Legion stock. This was the beginning of their descent.

Well, the Heresy would eventually end, we all know what happened. And when the legions were broken up, these IFs formed their own chapter during the 2nd Founding, calling themselves Summators.

And then for the next decamillenium, they are nearly absent in records. They only show up in a few battles over that entire span of time. They don't even interact hardly ever with their fellow Imperial Fists and IF successors. For all intents and purposes, they are ghosts in the recordbooks.

So what happened? Well, the Summators saw the benefits of their decision early on. The hybridisation of gene seed only strengthened them. The flaws of their original primarch's geneseed were overwritten. They grew taller, stronger... Better.

And so they would keep expanding on their genetics.They haunted battlefields like vultures. Whenever a chapter had a member go missing, their body not recovered after battle, that chapter would mourn the loss of their brother and his gene seed. The Culminators would instead praise the emperor for providing them with new genetic material.

Their experiments in enhancing their own geneseed with those of others has warped them beyond recognition. Only once has the body of a Summator been examined by a magos biologis, he was recovered after a battle in which the Summators fought alongside a band of Patriarchs of Ulixis against an Ork attack on an Imperial colony, but when they left, they were forced to leave a body of their own behind, a cosmic irony.

He stood nearly 8.5 feet tall even without his armor. His bones were abnormally dense, and his muscles were grossly developed. His skin was normal albeit ashy, but hair was unusually grey and ragged, his eyes were a sickly dark burgundy red, and his teeth were sharp. He had nineteen gene seed implants, despite their height matching the tallest Primaris marines. His system was flooded with hormones and chemicals. And these were only the physical changes, neurologically very little is known about what went through his head before death.

The test for geneseed markers was wholly inconclusive, but the magos biologis knew regardless that something was deeply unnatural with this chapter...

And yet despite their questionable if not reprehensible actions, they have never fallen to chaos.

They are a very small group by the year M42, I am talking like, there are maybe 20-30 of these guys at max, making them one of the smallest chapters full stop. And although they do have a small apothecary of their own, the simple truth is that due to how far they have pushed their own geneseed, it is nearly impossible to find suitable hosts for it; It is said perhaps only one in three recruits to become a space marine survive the gene seed implantation process. This is true of an ordinary chapter. For the Summators, that figure is going to be more along the lines of one in three-thousand. And so is it any wonder that even by the 42nd millenium, their numbers are so dangerously low?

While they were approached by the Primaris program, so was pretty much everyone. But of all of the chapters, they were one of very few that outright refused. They worry the new changes of the Primaris would ruin their own genetic cultivation they have created. Although they were happy to take the new MkX Tacticus armor, because it's cheaper than having to modify regular space marine armor to fit them. Although despite using otherwise modern armor, they do still keep the classic Imperial Fists' MkVI helmets.

Never forget where you came from.

Edited by 40k_fan

9 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

The Summators - A "Loyal" Space Marine Chapter

While they were approached by the Primaris program, so was pretty much everyone. But of all of the chapters, they were one of very few that outright refused. They worry the new changes of the Primaris would ruin their own genetic cultivation they have created. Although they were happy to take the new MkX Tacticus armor, because it's cheaper than having to modify regular space marine armor to fit them. Although despite using otherwise modern armor, they do still keep the classic Imperial Fists' MkVI helmets.

Never forget where you came from.

So they are 2nd founding? With known traitor gene-seed? and doing experimentation too? And then allowed to cross the Rubicon?

This is all a little too much to be honest to be believable.

1 hour ago, Minigiant said:

So they are 2nd founding? With known traitor gene-seed? and doing experimentation too? And then allowed to cross the Rubicon?

This is all a little too much to be honest to be believable.

Them having traitor gene seed within them is not known known though. It's not like they would tell anyone about supplementing their own gene seed with that of others, even if it was just loyalist gene seed, much less traitor gene seed.

The thing is, they are very secretive, they have no problem misleading others if it means they survive, that much they gained from their first splicing of Alpha Legion.

As far as the rest of the Imperium knows, they are just another 2nd founding Imperial Fists successor, who haven't done anything particularly noteworthy in the past 10,000 years. And that's the image they want to project. By flying under the radar, they can keep progressing their goal.

It's only recently that the biologis had a chance to examine them at all, which is when the questions started being asked about exactly what is up with them.

Some possible chapter names: 

Acherontic Angels
Adamantine Strike
Angels of Adamantine
Angels of Avernus 
Angels of Battle
Angels of Carnage
Angels of Dread
Angels of Gjöll 
Angels of Hate
Angels of Hitpun 
Angels of Intolerance
Angels of Judgment
Angels of Lethe
Angels of Phlegethon 
Angels of Punishment
Angels of Rage
Angels of Requital
Angels of Sanzu-no-Kawa 
Angels of Stryx
Angels of Tartarus
Angels of the Storm
Angels of the Sword
Angels of War
Ash Star/s
Ashborn / Ash Born
Avenging Angels
Avenging Eagles
Bad Blood
Beastmakers
Blazing Berserker
Bleak Crows
Blood Frenzy
Blood Hawks
Bloodfire
Bloodmist / Blood Mist
Bloodmist Makers
Bloodsoaked
Bloody Bones
Cloak ofWinter’s Chill
Cocytean Angels
Crimson Tide
Desert Devils
Dire Jackals
Disciples of Darkness
Doomstrike / Doom Strike
Dustblight
Eagle's Claw
Eagle's Fury
Emperor's Revenge
Entombed
Envenom Blade
Foe Skewers
Forge Beast
Frost Maw
Frostrager
Frostwind
Frostwing / Frost Wing
Frozen Berserkers
Golden Dolphin
Gore Drakes
Hellsteel
Hrymr's Crew
Infernal Sentinels
Iron Glacier
Ironthorn / Iron Thorn
Jackal Lords
Knight of the Pearl
Lethean Angels
Leviathan Hunters
Marble Sentinels
Murder Makers
Murderfang / Murder Fang
Night Takers
Phlegethontic Angels
Ravagers of Heaven
Reaver’s Cutlass
Revange
Saber Spiders
Sable Drakes
Sand Dragons
Sand Hunters
Scorpion Heritors
Scorpion's Grasp
Sea Render
Shade Hunter
Shatterhull
Sicons of Sorrow
Skashing Darkness
Snowflake Wardance
Splitered Skull
Stom Angels
Storm Driven
Stormsingers
Stormsong
Stormwing / Storm Wings
Stygian Angels
Sword Angels
Tail of the Scorpion
Terra's Revenge
Thunderbone
Tomb Spiders
Vengence Knights
Vengence's Angels
Warp Trawlers
Warpborn
Wrath Sworn

20 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

Them having traitor gene seed within them is not known known though. It's not like they would tell anyone about supplementing their own gene seed with that of others, even if it was just loyalist gene seed, much less traitor gene seed.

The thing is, they are very secretive, they have no problem misleading others if it means they survive, that much they gained from their first splicing of Alpha Legion.

As far as the rest of the Imperium knows, they are just another 2nd founding Imperial Fists successor, who haven't done anything particularly noteworthy in the past 10,000 years. And that's the image they want to project. By flying under the radar, they can keep progressing their goal.

It's only recently that the biologis had a chance to examine them at all, which is when the questions started being asked about exactly what is up with them.

In my opinion, it is what we would call Mary Sue, and really how much does that add to the Chapter? plus 2nd Founding also has its own implications. Secretive Imperial Fists is a fine concept. The rest i would classify as unnecessary window dressing.