Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

1 hour ago, Trysanna said:

And SM did such a great job with it's animations and giving things weight, it would have been a treat to see what they could do with the faction. It could also have been a choice not to add another 'thing' to the game in case that might confuse some people new to the setting. Also yes, it might have been a time issue because modelling, texturing, rigging, animating and coding anything for a game is a huge amount of work, on top of them being inhuman toaster-people with a lot going on visually. On the upside, we did get a whole game about the faction and it's one of the best 40k has ever had.

I agree very strongly. I make no secret that I love the faction for it's bizarre technology, body horror transhumanism and insane dogmatism and Mechanicus captured the atmosphere of both the inside of the Ark Mechanicus and the Necron Tombs perfectly. The soundtrack is outstanding and I loved customising my priests. It's sad that it was probably too small to warrant a sequel but I think the work done on Mechanicus and later Darktide have finally set in stone what 40k sounds like. Previous games had a fair bit of generic orchestral work but Mechanicus really hit the nail on the head for the weird and oddly alien music of the Imperium.

7 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

Mechanicus and later Darktide have finally set in stone what 40k sounds like. Previous games had a fair bit of generic orchestral work but Mechanicus really hit the nail on the head for the weird and oddly alien music of the Imperium.

Agreed. I like that the two are also distinctive. Mechanicus' synth/electronic sounds are, i guess, cleaner? slightly more digital and high tech sounding, which is appropriate for AdMech, while darktide's synth sounds are more rough, analog, and gritty in a way that fits a Hive City/the imperium at large. The former's electronic sounds are smooth and melodious, the latter's are more reminiscent of a broken printer, and I love that.

I love the orchestral DoW2 ost and how bombastic it is, and there's always gonna be a place in 40k for those kind of scores but i wont lie, I think Mech/Darktide's osts are so fitting for the setting that I find myself wanting even SM2 to have that strangeness to its ost.

I think the Rogue Trader RPG really nails the vibe and sound of 40k as well. Really excellent work from the voice actors as well.

I also had issues with the story of the 1st Space Marine game, and we can easily pick it apart. That being said, it did a good enough job of portraying the universe, it was a solid Astartes power fantasy, and I think the Orks were done well. It was a pleasant surprise, and if the 2nd game is an improvement then I'll be satisfied.

From the videos we've seen it looks more detailed, expansive, and is bringing together more elements and factions from the lore.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I think the Rogue Trader RPG really nails the vibe and sound of 40k as well. Really excellent work from the voice actors as well.

Oh yeah I forgot about RT (idk how I sunk 150h into it lol). I *loved* the pirate-y music in the various areas of footfall! And yeah the VA's did a great job. Interrogator Heinrix was my favorite.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

7 hours ago, Axineton said:

Not sure if this has been posted:  

This has me gushing. Some spoilers, nothing major, but at least in my case it's confirmation for some things I was hoping for. Overall I can definitely see why people say this is very light on concepts, since the tyranid concepts shown makes it seem there's only a handful of nid types when we know there's more.

Posted (edited)

Something to note from that art book - the high-poly for the Imperator-class Titan is consistent with the more recent AT/LI titan designs. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the design the company has blocked out internally, and that the Creative Licensing team have shared with Saber as a reference. Still, that thing is going to be the same size as a 28mm Reaver if they ever release it for AT/LI.

image.png?ex=6639e484&is=66389304&hm=74a

Edited by Joe
Grammar.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:41 PM, Magos Takatus said:

While not a lore break it annoyed me no end that they were fighting over a Forge World and there was not a Tech Priest in sight. It even became a main faction Forge World when the Admech Codex was released. Either they were short of time and didn't model a Tech Priest or they thought having one would detract away from the "obviously sus" Inquisitor, since Tech Priests are some of the more unsettling characters in the Imperium? I'd love to know the motivations for leaving them out. Maybe 40k had already fallen into the "no models, no rules" trap and this was an extension of it?

Funnily enough I have started a new playthrough of Space Marine on PC (I had it on Xbox 360 so getting to play it again is awesome!), and one of the earlier missions (before getting to the cannon) you overhear one of the Guardsmen say something along the lines of "...fighting on a forge world and not a techpriest to be seen..." so at least they acknowledged that they are not there :laugh: 

On 5/6/2024 at 4:49 AM, Joe said:

Something to note from that art book - the high-poly for the Imperator-class Titan is consistent with the more recent AT/LI titan designs. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the design the company has blocked out internally, and that the Creative Licensing team have shared with Saber as a reference. Still, that thing is going to be the same size as a 28mm Reaver if they ever release it for AT/LI.

image.png?ex=6639e484&is=66389304&hm=74a

Any pics not taken down?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Original image is still up on the host site; odd that it's not displaying here.

IGpJ1eD.png

Holy mars.... you could get lost walking around in that thing... Unusual weapon compliment for it's class?

2 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Wish I could see what this was, but GW have taken it down.

It was the games art book that someone got a hold of. It contained a look at the Art assets for the game and confirmed pvp with chaos space marine skins while also showing the true antagonists of the game (which was a badly kept secret)

10 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

It was the games art book that someone got a hold of. It contained a look at the Art assets for the game and confirmed pvp with chaos space marine skins while also showing the true antagonists of the game (which was a badly kept secret)

It's T-Sons, right?

Please say it's T-Sons.