Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

Joe

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

We don't have anything other than "Cosmetics", but older marks of armor would be a perfect type of thing they could sell to people who want it and other people can just ignore it without detriment besides getting to go all choppy choppy on em.

I really hope the Firstborn armours are in the game. I don't care if someone else wants to play as Primaris, I just want to play with proper Firstborn armour - if at least Mk7 would be available from the jump that'd be great; if they're premium cosmetics, ugh, but fine. If they're not in at all, I guess I'll be waiting until there's mods, and possibly just getting the pirate hat out of storage.

2 hours ago, Kallas said:

I really hope the Firstborn armours are in the game. I don't care if someone else wants to play as Primaris, I just want to play with proper Firstborn armour - if at least Mk7 would be available from the jump that'd be great; if they're premium cosmetics, ugh, but fine. If they're not in at all, I guess I'll be waiting until there's mods, and possibly just getting the pirate hat out of storage.

For clarity, I agree with the desire for all mks to be in the game.

i disagree with the piracy if they’re not.

I'm happy we finally have a major video game title that finally and fully leans into Primaris and the Era Indomitus. Most games and studios have been tip-toeing around it with a few exceptions.

That said I actually also want classic armor marks. But we've had zero screen shots except for chaos so I am not expecting it.

I already said if they have armours available in game, even as premium cosmetics, I'd be fine with it. If I have to resort to mods, then I will - and often, especially with perpetually-online games, mods aren't supported, so if that's the end result, then I'm not averse to pirating a game that fails to meet the standards I have. Not saying everyone has to, but I also am not particularly bothered about a company's profits any more, especially in the current financial climate.

But would you pirate an album because you don't like track 7? Walk out of a restaurant without paying because they didn't have your preferred brand of ketchup? Just outright steal whole milk from a grocery store because they didn't have any skimmed milk? Would you accept losing an entire day's pay if your boss felt you "failed to meet the standards they have" on one task? It's the same thing.

If the product doesn't live up to your expectations then don't buy it, sure. Nobody cares. But I will never understand the logic that it's okay to steal something that hundreds of people worked on for a completely superficial reason simply because "CoMpAnIeS BaD". 

If you want to get into a discussion about the ethics of digital piracy sure. It's absolutely not even remotely the same thing as walking out of a restaurant without paying, or stealing physical objects from a store - and that doesn't include talking about the ethics of stealing if one is starving or not.

You say "it's the same thing" but it really isn't. You are also focusing entirely on the one final aspect of the list, ignoring the various ways I am willing to pay, including pay extra in the form of premium cosmetics which are extremely common in modern games. But sure, go on.

I personally hope they stick to the Primaris aesthetic for the loyalists.

I really like the divergence between the Imperium and Chaos this provides.

The loyalist Marines have a technological edge. Their armour and weapons are more advanced, more deadly. They are better supplied.

The traitors, on the other hand, are empowered by Chaos, wearing old baroque armour and using rusted, corrupted, ancient weapons.

1 hour ago, Kallas said:

If you want to get into a discussion about the ethics of digital piracy sure. It's absolutely not even remotely the same thing as walking out of a restaurant without paying, or stealing physical objects from a store - and that doesn't include talking about the ethics of stealing if one is starving or not.

You say "it's the same thing" but it really isn't. You are also focusing entirely on the one final aspect of the list, ignoring the various ways I am willing to pay, including pay extra in the form of premium cosmetics which are extremely common in modern games. But sure, go on.

Pizza cutter philosophy. All edge, no point. 

To be honest I wouldn't strictly count on modding being a thing - licensing conditions with GW Ltd being what they are, and I can't recall what modding was like for Saber's World War Z game either.

That said, Saber are nothing if not receptive to feedback / customer requests. If people request Firstborn loudly enough they may develop them as a cosmetic option further down the line.

Since older marks are now part of the Horus Heresy setting and not 40K I doubt they’ll allow them to share since Creative Assembly isn’t allowed to do things for Total Warhammer that are shared between Old World and AoS. Not to discuss AoS, just the way they’ve refused to share thing used in both for another video game. 

It's a sad thing to say, but the days of game mods are slowly going the way of the dodo, some companies allow it but its nothing like it used to be, why allow players to make free superior skins and creations when you can but half the effort in and charge for more.

On that note I hope SM2 does have some type of modding but I very much doubt it.

To be fair, with how games have been going in a worrying direction of you not actually owning your games and instead only having a "license" to play it which can be revoked at any time, piracy is becoming harder and harder to argue with. After all, if buying a game isn't owning it, then pirating a game isn't stealing it.

It would definitely be nice to have Mk.7 and Mk.8 armour as options in the multiplayer, but I highly doubt they'll allow that as GW seems determined to erase everything that made them popular in the first place.

39 minutes ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

It's a sad thing to say, but the days of game mods are slowly going the way of the dodo, some companies allow it but its nothing like it used to be, why allow players to make free superior skins and creations when you can but half the effort in and charge for more.

On that note I hope SM2 does have some type of modding but I very much doubt it.

I think you overstep the statement of "mods going the way of the DoDo" as it is a major component of what can sell a game. While not the rule, there is a reason why people are still playing old elder scroll games, heck even the original Doom is still an incredibly active community. Not to mention, you should look at the work people have put into trying to mod Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It is staggering.

I understand that largely companies don't really care too much for the long term, especially bigger ones and they will often just discard things once they have met quota or not. However wallets speak incredibly loudly.

Such talk though of modding this game, I don't feel works. Unlike games like Morrowind which are adventure games with open worlds to explore, this is clearly going to be a bit more linear and focused. The only real open slot for modding here would be skins and even then, best you'll get is client side for the online where customisation is available. Modding won't be a component for this game and I don't think it should of been.

This is a game about playing a space marine, stomping the xenos (then eventually chaos because it ALWAYS circles back to chaos) and feeling like the emperor's finest. Game is about big set pieces and battlefields, so ultimately any effort to allow modding would likely hinder the end vision of the game.

That being said, it is NEVER a bad move to allow modding in your game. Even if you only allow it after "support has ended" by releasing mod tools or what have you, mods have kept games incredibly relevant into today.

I agree big companies are trying to phase it out, but failing. However it is always a MAJOR deal with communities when you can mod a game.

I understand the later statement of "why allow players to make free..." is more in a sense talking from the viewpoint of an executive, but the comedy of it is that is that is free content players can enjoy and may even bring more players into the game which improve sales.

I will remind people: the original MOBA before League of Legends was called Defence of the Ancients (DotA) and was a MOD for Warcraft 3 and was infact a majojr selling point for warcraft 3. People literally bought that game not for the main game, but for a mod...that was made for free.

I am just saddened by such coperate mentality as it is just self destructive, short sighted and lacking of brain cells...its literally free content you didn't even need to pay for yourself...no need to worry about returns...free content is content that even if it sells one extra copy is a profit!

22 hours ago, Kallas said:

I genuinely thought this mean there was a pirate hat cosmetic in the first Space Marine.

Modding would definitely be easier if the game supported it. But even if it doesn't (at least from the get go) one could argue the whole way armour in this game is designed around modularity and adding further pieces down the line via DLC would help modders just hijack that system and mask their own stuff as DLC for the game.

That is if it isn't stringently locked down in some way or another.

1 hour ago, Nephaston said:

Modding would definitely be easier if the game supported it. But even if it doesn't (at least from the get go) one could argue the whole way armour in this game is designed around modularity and adding further pieces down the line via DLC would help modders just hijack that system and mask their own stuff as DLC for the game.

That is if it isn't stringently locked down in some way or another.

Having been playing Space Engineers a bunch, they have an interesting relationship with Modders - several mods have made their way in to the core game as updates (all updates are free, at least as far as I'm aware) and DLCs (paid DLCs, but only adding cosmetic blocks; all functional aspects are always included in the game itself), and not only have the Devs 100% taken inspiration from modders, they have also liased with modders that put in the work. With the way the Steam Workshop works, it's already set up that people uploading know that they give up rights to their items, but Keen (the Devs) have been pretty solid about highlighting the work modders have done, as well as generally being decent folks towards them.

I guess that's a bit of a spiel to say that modding isn't necessarily against a dev team, unless the two take up antagonistic stances. In the case of Helldivers 2, the Devs have said they enjoy seeing some of the modded stuff coming out (eg, the aforementioned Thomas the Tank Engine Chargers), and even though they're not going to support modding they're not actively seeking to block them (though they've warned that the anti-cheat may flag them and ban them automatically). Bringing it back around to SM2, modders wouldn't inherently need to be in an antagonistic relationship with the devs (GW is another box of frogs, however), and modding (especially cosmetic modding) isn't really working against the devs unless the devs end up putting out low quality stuff at a premium (looking at you Darktide - I love you, but damn your cosmetics are low effort).

All of that to say: cosmetic mods to give people more options, especially if they're uncatered for by the core game or any DLCs, seems kind of like a win-win, even moreso if it's client-side only (ie, only the person with the mods is able to see them: this is the case with, for example, the Darktide cosmetic mods).

21 minutes ago, TheWarmaster said:

Do you think we'll get to choose which side we play as in multiplayer? 

Can't be more certain than "maybe" right now. It depends how they implement matchmaking or if they have a server browser.

Ideal scenario is you get to pick between "queue as loyalist" and "queue as traitor" and get to filter the browser for empty spots.

We'll probably find out at launch or if there is a beta phase.