Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

Joe

31 minutes ago, TheWarmaster said:

Do you think we'll get to choose which side we play as in multiplayer? 

If I remember right from Space Marine 1 the classes were identical but looked different based on which side you were playing. So if you played an assault class you'd make a Loyalist Assault Marine and a Chaos Raptor in the customization menu. Which side you were on was determined by auto-balance. 

While I'm not the biggest primaris fan, their customizations in this game look very good and if the actual models were more like that I would be more of a fan. As far as firstborn armour skins, thats not going to work because there is no firstborn ranged weapons in the game, only the CSM look to have those. I'm not interested in loyalist firstborn skins if I have no firstborn weapons to use them with. Only way I see that working is if they lock firstborn skins to a melee class because those weapons are common and a plasma pistol only because thats the only common ranged weapon as well these days. 

On 5/26/2024 at 4:41 AM, Marshal Reinhard said:

I'm happy we finally have a major video game title that finally and fully leans into Primaris and the Era Indomitus. Most games and studios have been tip-toeing around it with a few exceptions.

Okay which games have i missed? because by my count we have;

Battle Sector : literally about the adoption of Primaris marines and the campaign is literally in the aftermath of the Devastation of Baal

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2: literally starts with the fall of Cadia and is the first videogame appearance of Guilliman.

Mechanicus: no idea when its set, but neither army thats involved had had any major changes due to the Era Indomitus as of the time of the first games release. Im expecting the sequel to include the updated Necron models.

Tacticus: using almost exclusively newly released Primaris Units.

The DoW game that shall not be named even included the option to upgrade Tacticals to Intercessors by memory.

Necromunda Hired Gun: not a clue when its set, but i somehow doubt that it would be relevant given the subject matter.

Freeblade? again, no major changess to the factions as of the Era Indomitus

Rogue trader is set about 500 years pre fall of Cadia so i guess thats one, and maybe Inquisitor Martyr? I've no clue when that one is set and i never played it so I'm not sure if it includes any references or not.

Then there's Boltgun, which is pretty clearly meant to be not long after SM1

And Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters seems to be a bit ambiguous but probably at least close to the Era Indomitus based on one of the characters included apparently, but seeing as Grey'Knights havent had any recent updates thats hardly surprising.

=][= Keep on-topic. This thread is about the Space Marine II game, not the legality/ethics/morality of pirating content. Comments about modding said game are on-topic, but keep it contained to the game. =][=

3 hours ago, ThaneOfTas said:

Rogue trader is set about 500 years pre fall of Cadia so i guess thats one, and maybe Inquisitor Martyr? I've no clue when that one is set and i never played it so I'm not sure if it includes any references or not.

Inquisitor Martyr is set in the Caligari sector, which was created specifically for the game, and stays focused on the happenings there. Not the Great Rift stuff. There is a Space Marine in the original story but they are not the main focus of things. You do run across Chaos Marines though, including one of the clones of Fabius Bile.

Definitely worth checking out. The guy who runs Neocore Games really does a great job making the world feel like 40k.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ThaneOfTas said:

Okay which games have i missed?

Assuming you're listing every game since 8th edition, you are missing a few like the latest space hulk iteration, gladius, the other Necromunda game, the battle sister VR game, darktide and the standalone armageddon followup that focuses on the orks. There's probably more (orks shootas blood & teef? Something called sanctum reach?) Of these, In darktide, characters can randomly discuss the cicatrix maledictum or the existence of primaris marines in a couple of lines of the dialogue, and I've seen screenshots that there's a Primaris marine is in the sister VR Game.

But in my opinion very few of these really qualify as "leaning into it". In fact, I'd go so far to say that only really Battlesector and BFG2, (And I suppose Tacticus, but that's a filthy mobile game so I haven't touched it :tongue:) do. DoW 3 letting you upgrade your chaplain into a primaris one (and that was the only one) doesn't really count as leaning into it much more than a random throwaway line of dialogue.

So I feel you're proving my point, only a few video games have fully leaned into primaris marines, and Space Marine II is the first really big video game title that's from the outset fully all in.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

Valrak got some fresh information from interviews consolidated in video form.

Big thing is Crossplay so you can campaign with friends or purge them. Some of the Interviewees also talk big game in regards to customisation, comparing it to the regular hobby as well as some extra info that Titus will get to order around some NPC marines beyond his two main buddies as the campaign goes on. Speaking of the Campaign, it will apparently not end when the main story is finished and will be expanded upon via the PvE mode where they will shake up enemy combinations and objectives. Some rogue-lite sprinkles on our hack'n'slash sounds interesting.

Trailer look good so far. Imho, campaign length and multiplayer longevity will make or break it. 

Hope they don’t repeat the issue that so many major titles had at release; namely being a bug riddled mess. 

If that rogue-lite rumor is confirmed, I will be extremely happy. I love games that have replayability and make the world/sector feel like a living warzone that you can impact. I also like that they included crossplay because my group has a mix of PC and console players.  The customization sounds great; I'm going to immediately make an Iron Shades Marine in the customizer to look like the one on the cover of Sea of Souls. Regarding that, I hope they give us more than the 5 customization slots per faction this time, too.

2 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I’m sure matchmaking will go as smoothly as Darktide and Helldivers launches. 

At least there is a single player game in there!

I think the PVP may well be a disaster at launch - It always seems to be with every game lol.

The 3 player co-op and operations will probably work smoothly as long as you have friends to arrange them with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once again Valrak, apparently this time the game being shown off in a stadium to a crowd. It's a phone recording with flashing stage lights so it's not the best looking. Also some cutscenes seemingly early in the game featuring dialogue between Titus and Gadriel, as well as Gadriel and Chairon.

Also Ray Fisher (Cyborg in the Snyder DC films) is apparently playing it.

On 5/27/2024 at 7:33 PM, Blindhamster said:

As a PC player, I’m offended by that.

lol.

that said, I generally dislike playing with anyone I don’t know anyway, I’ll be playing cross play but with friends!

I played the first game with people from here on the B&C and it was really good. I'll probably do the same for the second one hopefully. It was a great way to get to know people better with a shared interest.

Working at the moment but thanks for all the links all. I'll check them all out as the break in my shift transpires...

(Is there anything about different Skins for dudes? I don't much like Phobos armoured stuff aesthetically, I like my Marines hefty Doom Slayers. Also, I'd love the aesthetic for HH skins vs Chaos Marines. Who should also have HH skins!)

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Working at the moment but thanks for all the links all. I'll check them all out as the break in my shift transpires...

(Is there anything about different Skins for dudes? I don't much like Phobos armoured stuff aesthetically, I like my Marines hefty Doom Slayers. Also, I'd love the aesthetic for HH skins vs Chaos Marines. Who should also have HH skins!)

I could totally see them making HH skins via their paid content side, as you say its an obvious thing thats sure to make money