Kill Team - Nachmund - Box and CSM Revealed

Joe

I don't know if I'll get Nachmund. I have Octarius and Chalnath but haven't actually played a game yet (childcare, boo).

That said, I've built the Orks and DKoK and they're truly excellent models. I don't feel as excited by the rest of the kill teams somehow. These four teams might be enough for me, at least for now.

Nachmund will be my first box (I was planning on getting a box of CSM and terrain anyways, so this popping up was a no brainrr), but having played with compendium teams I definitely encourage you to play, KT really is a solid game. Between those four teams and whatever you have for compendium teams, there is a ton of gameplay there

And if GW had done something like what you suggested? There'd be someone complaining that with how expensive GW products are, their money should be able to go further and GW shouldn't be putting less things on the sprue and instead should have put more things on the sprue. Bit of a catch-22, isn't it?

Well the important part of what I suggested was that the kits would be cheaper, as well as smaller.

Even a modest reduction in price, like a £30 2-sprue Storm Guardian kit and £30 2-sprue Guardian Defenders kit would produce the same amount of usable models as two of the existing mixed Guardian boxes at a lower price than you pay now to get those same 20 models, and you'd still have a few spares from both of those kits for your bits box anyway.

Yes there's always going to be some plank who whinges about everything, but I find it hard to believe that a solution that saves money for the player AND saves production and material costs for GW AND saves plastic production for the environment is a bad exchange for paying extra for a bunch of redundant shuriken pistols and helmets.

Edited by Halandaar

I think the price issue is real, and is part of a worrying (apparent) policy by GW - that more and more new releases now come in a massive box full of stuff you mostly don't need. We're seeing it in those two-player 40k boxes too. It makes the hobby far more expensive and pays box-splitters well, if both sides contain useful stuff.

Part of the attraction of kill team used to be that you didn't need to invest that much. You could make a team from your existing models, or from whatever you had lying around, and off you went. You can still do that with the compendium up to a point, but then you'll be missing out on all the fancy toys that the "full" teams get. 

You're probably best off if your faction gets a WD article. All of the bonuses without costing too much, and if you play that army you probably have all the stuff.

Do as it turned out the nachmund box does not contain the antenna for the Crain leaving a hole in the model, as it’s located on the other servo hauler sprue…

Is there already word on what the solution to this is?

Sounds like a call to GW Customer Service is in order - that’s a pretty big issue if there’s a hole in the model.

Maybe GW is about to get into the parts order business again! :lol:

Yes there's always going to be some plank who whinges about everything, but I find it hard to believe that a solution that saves money for the player AND saves production and material costs for GW AND saves plastic production for the environment is a bad exchange for paying extra for a bunch of redundant shuriken pistols and helmets.

Leaving aside the idea that GW would bother selling those two things at 'reduced price', 'reducing' a 3-sprue into 2x2 sprue is a net increase in all core costs for GW to bring the products to market.

a) The sprues would likely need to be distinct, meaning you'd likely be designing 4 different sprues for the 2x2. Looking at the Guardian sprues, granted there is one 'core' sprue, but it's the platform that starts making things wonky: I highly doubt you could fit all the swords and pistols in a Storm box alongside a whole platform, which admittedly is a 'new thing' for them. But even platform and 10 pairs of catapult arms on a single sprue also seems a stretch, and as soon as you need to move any weapons/arms on to the 'core bodies' sprue, you lose all the economy on designing 3 sprues alone.

b) It emphatically does not save production and material costs. Increasing the line of offerings that you're committed to stocking at the same rate adds more externalities, which only ever cost more money. The actual plastic is an almost negligible part of GW's business model, and it's likely that it is vastly more efficient to press a single lot of the same number of 3 matched sprues than two batches of '1+1', even if those batches contain 'one of the same sprue'. SKU and stock maintenance mean that if you add an extra product, any time you turn the production line over you need to be pressing 'only one kind of guardian, and only when stock on that needs to be replenished'.

In addition, the storage cost on something that sells slowly means that there is additional opportunity cost on maintaining it in the catalogue. So adding 2x guardian kits means there's a real risk that they'll sell mostly only one anyway, and they just sit on storm guardians (the most likely scenario) for years again.

There is real savings in the model of 'two builds from a single kit', and it has alot more to do with logistics than material costs...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Do as it turned out the nachmund box does not contain the antenna for the Crain leaving a hole in the model, as it’s located on the other servo hauler sprue…

Is there already word on what the solution to this is?

Leave a hole, I guess- the instructions don’t mention the antenna so I’m assuming it’s intentional and they’re not going to be sending out free replacement kits…

Thanks for getting in touch.

We have reviewed the box contents with our studio team and we can confirm the antenna to the crane is not included with the Kill Team Nachmund set, it being missing is not a mistake.

We would suggest converting a cap or antenna at home should you want to replicate it.

The instructions show the antenna is not part of the build and the product description states contents may vary.

We are sorry to say that we will not be offering replacement parts for the antenna though we can suggest if you are not entirely happy with the product and its contents, that you can return the set to the store you made the purchase from for a refund or exchange.

We are sorry we could not be of more assistance on this occasion.

kind regards

Got this reply today…

As it’s in fact missing in the instructions, it seems to be a conscious decision.

Still puzzled how that one could get through QC, as it leaves a huge hole…

Also their solution to self kit bash it kind of unsatisfactory.

Edit: artwork on the website as well as box show the studio model from the original kit with the antenna and not the hole

Edited by excelite

• 2 weeks later...

Totally forgot To update, as the reply came on April fools:

It seems GW has changed their mind and is now sending out the other sprue (UK) and full servohauler boxes (Germany)

Is this to people who complained? Bought directly? I’m

Intrigued…

That depends on how you define „complain“… afaik the pitchfork and wannabe customer lawyer factions got nothing, only the ones that asked for a solution in a friendly fashion.

It’s 3rd party as well, but I think this excludes eBay and Amazon purchases. My guess it’s only valid for direct purchase or stored that are in direct business with GW