Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

Neil-Roberts.jpg

This is amazing :biggrin.: So great they interview Roberts.

He starts with a written brief, then sketches, then massages up to a thumpnail.

Neil-Roberts.jpg

Neil-Roberts.jpg

Neil-Roberts.jpg

Also either Book 7, 8 or 9:

Neil-Roberts.jpg

Neil-Roberts.jpg

Also something that's so important about this event is seeing Wade back, glad he's feeling able to do this. I don't keep up with the twitch channel so maybe he's been back daily there, but I'm glad he's so recovered when he could have died this year. 

Also great to see David Guymer too!

Guymer.jpg

Sigismund.jpg

The new Sigismund novella. French says it is framed by a remembrancer, who seeks out Sig, post Ullanor, to ask why Sig believes in the future there will only be war - despite the context of the Great Crusade coming to an end. Hopefully reading the book you will get a sense of why Sigismund is the way he is. Very John French.

Also explores why are the World eaters the legion Sigismund feels he has among the closest bonds to - a closer bond than you would expect him to have a natural fit to.

Finally, returns to how Sigismund is Terran, grew up in camps (a refugee); also shows him being made a space marine (and thus show process of how people were selected for legions).

Some things i put in the N&R forum

Dawn of Fire: Throne of Light by Guy Haley confirmed. He's got a magnificent beard, by the way.

CRlR5oM.png

Fabian Guelphraine and Lucerne are back. Kor Phaeron is set to mess about the Sol System. Seemingly a campaign book namedropped?

Full-on Word Bearers action it looks like, drawing on the seeds sown in The Gate of Bones (where Kor Phaeron cameo'd). Some more info on what's up with the Emperor Post-Rift, which makes sense considering it's gonna tackle the subject of the Dark Gods and divinity.

Rostov from Avenging Son is along for the ride, too.

Follow-up to Dark Imperium, timeline wise, teased, for when Dawn of Fire is done.

8PSDOeO.png

@PC: You accidentally called Darius Hinks David Guymer. They both write Gotrek, so it's not an unreasonable mistake :')

Edited by DarkChaplain

New Dawn of Fire novel

Haley1.jpg

Haley3.jpg

DoF is a multipart epic very much cast in mould of HH. We take inspriation from that.

Throne of Light carries on narratives of characters we met before, Inq Rostoff, Fabian Guelphrane one of the founding historitaors, SErgeant Lucian the jocular [EDIT - is he a BT?].

It is set close to Terra. 

Dawn of Fire about Indomitus Crusade, the biggest military operation since GC, maybe even bigger than GC. 10 big fleets subdivided into hundreds of smaller fleets.

We decide to follow key themes and narratives.

This follows Faith and Fury, on Kor Pharon, on his attack on several Cardinal Worlds. He's been waiting for Guiliman to depart Terra, and allow him to attack soft underbelly of Imperium (Segementum Solar).

Kor on a mission of his own - a worshipful victory. 

A real focus on godhood in the 41st millenium, role of priest-like characters.

40k made up of crooked mirrors that amplify and twist themes; I'm very interested on effects of Great Rift on Emperor himself. A book full of visions and portents and exciting developments; and hope readers think it means one thing, and actually could mean very different things.

Rostoff pursuing Hand of Abaddon, and Fabian off to Imperium Nihilus.

On relationship to Plague Wars - books will lead up to Dark Imperium; Dark Imperium takes place immediately after DoF, and DI provides a jumping off point to what's next.

Just to add to DC's words :smile.:

Dawn of Fire: Throne of Light by Guy Haley confirmed. He's got a magnificent beard, by the way.

Fabian Guelphraine and Lucerne are back. Kor Phaeron is set to mess about the Sol System. Seemingly a campaign book namedropped?

Full-on Word Bearers action it looks like, drawing on the seeds sown in The Gate of Bones (where Kor Phaeron cameo'd). Some more info on what's up with the Emperor Post-Rift, which makes sense considering it's gonna tackle the subject of the Dark Gods and divinity.

Rostov from Avenging Son is along for the ride, too.

Follow-up to Dark Imperium, timeline wise, teased, for when Dawn of Fire is done.

@PC: You accidentally called Darius Hinks David Guymer. They both write Gotrek, so it's not an unreasonable mistake :')

ooops :biggrin.:

Oh Limited Edition also 

Haley3.jpg

Edited by Petitioner's City

Aaaaand Nick Kyme coming with Ahriman: Eternal by John French. Whyever they didn't let John himself announce it, I have no idea. But my god that limited edition is insane!

Danie Ware is doing a Sororitas novel about Saint Catherine, limited edition shown. Not focusing on the Sisters of the Bloody Rose, but Our Martyred Lady

Edited by DarkChaplain

Ahriman-Eternal.jpg

Ahriman-Eternal2.jpg

Ahriman-Eternal3.jpg

This follows on from the Ahriman audio story as Ahriman tries to use the chronomancy of the Necrons to solve the Rubric. Includes Codes in the novel that Ahriman's notebook in the limited edition will allow you to solve.

Amazing.

--

New Dani Ware novel about St Catherine and faith too - sounds very good :smile.:

And a novel about Huron Blackheart by Mike Brooks, set in Era Indomitus, seeing off assassinations and a coup d'etat.

Brooks.jpg

And Rath's next novel about assassins on an Imperial Knight world where they need to guarantee succession of a particular leader to see off secession of the world. Terrible character names, but still very cool

Rath-assassins.jpg

The great thing about Brooks is that it means more diversifying of the 40k universe - I am really intrigued to see what he does here!

And a lovely edition of Ravenor Rogue, but I do feel a bit meh here after the gorgeous Xenos edition earlier.

Ware.jpg

More on Ware's novel - it features different members of the order telling different tales of St Catherine, and thus different intepretations of her. 

I wonder if Ware will allude to Shadow of the Torturer here, or other scifi fantasy uses of St Catherine in the real world; it just seems silly not to. But Ware has a strong interest in religion, so really intrigued.

Damn that's all pretty hype, far exceeded my expectations of basically nothing. Still no Sapphire King though, so obviously it's a complete failure.

French has the best grasp on Sigismund, IMO, but I have no idea what's left to cover for the character at this point. Still, he hasn't written anything I dislike in the past 5 years, so hype all the same. Speaking of French, more Ahriman is also pretty exciting. Necrons have just been rolling in exposure lately, and I'm here for it.

The perspective on SOT 7's cover is wonky as hell, but hopefully it means we get more deets soon. 

I am well and truly on the Dawn of Fire train at this point. Stoked for Haley's next entry, and the subject matter is my jam; the religious angle of 40k is one of my favourite parts. 

More from Ware and Rath is lovely to see. Not much else to say before I actually get my hands on those.

And more Mike Brooks, with attention to Huron no less! Poor guy's been overlooked too often. Badab War when? Will probably be great like all Brooks content thus far. 

Thoughts on specific books:

Eternal Crusader: seems a very safe choice, both in terms of subject and author, but I’m always down for more of John French’s Imperial Fists.

Throne of Light: I’ve enjoyed Dawn of Fire as a whole so far, but its individual entries don’t compare to the best of the Heresy and the Siege. Maybe this will be elevate it for me? Haley usually does a good job with the faith aspects of 40k.

The Triumph of Saint Katherine: I haven’t personally enjoyed Ware’s Sisters work though I understand others quite like it. Hopefully this novel will change my mind. The LE is also quite striking.

Ahriman Eternal: Biggest announcement of the preview? It’s certainly one I’m very excited for, especially with the gorgeous limited edition. Kyme seemed to have the book in his possession already, I wonder if it was meant for a Christmas release before the delays hit?

Huron Blackheart: Surprised to see Brooks has another Space Marine work on the way, but I think he’ll do excellently with Huron as he has with most of his other work.

Assassinorum Kingmaker: Up there with Ahriman Eternal as the book I’m most excited about. The lack of Assassinorum content in 40k has always been rather glaring and I think Rath’s a great choice to fix that.

The AOS stuff looks fine, as do the miniatures. Wish BL would stick to the novels during these previews, but that’s not likely to happen. Also looks like they might be going back to the limited edition exclusivity period.

Edited by cheywood

It was a nice event, great to see some exciting books lined up for early next year.  

More of this please BL - make this a quarterly thing!

It was nice to at least see the cover for book 7 SoT.  I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about it soon.  When i saw the character models announced I thought that they would Segway into a book 7 reveal (featuring the two characters but alas that wasn’t the case.  

A bit disappointing no Primarch book was mentioned!  When the host was wearing a Fists t-shirt i assumed we’d be getting a Dorn book announcement!

Siggy getting his own character book feels a bit boring?  He has already featured massively in the heresy.  I was hoping that they’d use this series to explore the characters that are much loved/interesting, but haven’t had a fulfilling arc.  

Also a mention for the hosts … they didn’t appear to be on top of the brief like you’d expect for an event that only real enthusiasts would be watching?  Some simple errors made e.g. the guy with the fists t-shirt calling it the indomitus series rather than dawn of fire.  Perhaps we need a dedicated BL enthusiast to be hosting these events rather than just putting the model reveal guys out there?  

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

Nice. Very pleased with most of those, still a few missing in disappointed about but overall excellent stuff.

That Xenos release is not my flavour at all. We now have the ravenor, magos, bequin and eisenhorn all with different limited designs. I’ve always held out for a series in the style of the magos. This noir pop art look isn’t very 40K. Pitty.

Blackheart and Sigismund sound amazing.

I’ve not overly enjoyed Wares sisters stuff but the idea behind this sounds pretty cool.

All thee non HH stuff looks awesome to me. Super happy to see Danie Ware back at it with Sisters. It fits so well with the Celestine SR I'll have to pick it up.

Huron Blackheart is a character I've always had an interest in, as a Badab and renegade chapters fan. I was very impressed by Brutal Kunnin, so this should be fun

The Assasinorum books looks very cool. Assassin's aren't my thing typically but I'll read anything by Rath

I hope the Successor anthology has some stories I haven't read before. I'm generally a fan of successor chapters so it looks intriguing

Now that's what I call a preview!

Super hyped foe most of the stuff but most notably:

- Huron by Brooks; I love his work thus far. That's a must have for me! Especially as he always put in a good twist to already established lore like he did with Alpharius.

- Sigismund by French; another must have for me. Frenchs Fists are my personal favourite take on the Legion.

- Ahriman part 4; probably won't get the LE but it's an awesome one! Scalpers gonna scalp for sure

- Successors; looks intriguing. I'll keep an eye on that one

- Throne of Light; glad that they're continuing with the series on a regular basis u like siege for example

A lot to be excited about!

Hopefully, they'll fill the gaps with further great stuff. Twice Dead King Reign for example. ;)

Peter Fehervari in the Successors anthology makes me wonder if this will be anything new or maybe just an actual reprint of the ancient micro-short Crown of Thorns, which has only ever been in print as part of a limited event anthology.

John French next

SIgismund: The Eternal Crusader for Horus Heresy Characters. Silly title choice, considering we have a Black Templars novella titled The Eternal Crusader already, by Haley.

The good news is that this is a new story by Fehervari. The “bad/sad” news is that it is only a “short” story. Would dearly love another novel from him, but this is still good!

Weird to hear Kyme refer to the assassins from Kingmaker as "two new characters." You'd think in his position, he'd know that both of them have starred in previous Black Library stories. Sycorax has been in two.

Edited by Lord Nord

This was actually a pretty decent preview. There are a few books I already know I'd like to get, Sigismund, Soulslayer, and Throne of Light.

The Triumph of Saint Katherine - looks very nice and would look great next to my Mark of Faith. Unfortunately, from the little I've read so far by Danie, I didn't like it that much to buy LE.

Ahriman Eternal - That book is gorgeous! Sadly, it's the megabox, or whatever they call it, and I have no use for overpriced trinkets that come with it.

XenosI'm tempted. It's a book my gf enjoyed as well but not knowing whether they are going to do the next two books in the series is putting us off.

Assassinorum Kingmaker - I'm a big fan of Rath's writing since his first AoS short story but damn the cover doesn't look a bit WH.

Good preview. The only thing that disappointed me was not mentioning a release date ( even an estimate) for ADB's Siege of Terra 7, which we know was finished a while ago.

The cover looks absolutely magnificent btw.

Books I am certainly interested in:

Sigismund-French

Huron Blackheart-Brooks ( that hardcover has a really horrible cover unfortunately, I might have to get the LE just to avoid that, but then the LE wont be worth the money)

Assasinorum by Rath- Have been waiting for this one and will definitely get it.

Kragnos-Guymer, pretty interesting.

Looking at the authors that were not mentioned, we know that Abnett was not mentioned because he's been writing a massive Horus Heresy book 8 ( and 9?).

Wraight wasnt mentioned. but Cheywood reported he has completed Watchers of the Throne 3.

Saturnine map looks beautiful. So does the Xenos illustrated and annotated edition, might get that.

The Successors anthology has an Emperors Spears story, presumably by ADB. I would like to know if that is new, or just the story from the limited edition of the book.

VpZAHVxKo7vy393y.jpg

Edited by Taliesin

Peter Fehervari in the Successors anthology makes me wonder if this will be anything new or maybe just an actual reprint of the ancient micro-short Crown of Thorns, which has only ever been in print as part of a limited event anthology.

The good news is that this is a new story by Fehervari. The “bad/sad” news is that it is only a “short” story. Would dearly love another novel from him, but this is still good!

Hi Duke, have you heard from Peter that this is a new story? I would love this to be true, rather than a reprint of his (totally excellent) Thirteenth Psalm featuring the Angels Penitent.