Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

hyped for huron. character and writer i really want more of.

cautiously optimistic for siggy. unpopular opinion: i think he's an absolute bore of a character but i want to find reasons to like him.

pass on ahriman. i somewhat liked the first one and couldn't force myself through the rest. i just don't vibe it

hyped for huron. character and writer i really want more of.

cautiously optimistic for siggy. unpopular opinion: i think he's an absolute bore of a character but i want to find reasons to like him.

Same here. I really don't get the Sigismund hype. The Heresy hasn't featured him enough to make me really care for him as a person, and the way the Keeler thing has been left unattended for years both in-universe and in publishing made him seem rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I thought the duel scenes in Templar were more than enough to explain why he's felt kinship with Khârn and other champions, or why he adopted the chains.

I was surprised when they said Sigismund: The Eternal Crusader would be pre-Heresy. If anything, the moment he gets interesting to me is post-Siege, when he ends up founding the Black Templars and the interactions with Dorn he'd have after the Emperor gets enshrined. I just don't see what a prequel would really add, although on the flipside, it'd only serve to make him less bland than he is right now, so anything is good.

ahriman Never interested me either. I was hoping french would finish Horusian wars before he would do anything else. He seems to have dropped the series.

I wonder if it's something similar to how Abnett had to get permission for Penitent's twist and beyond. Looking at the Horusians as an institution, and what they do, contrasted with the Yellow King and now also Godblight and the upcoming Throne of Light, the third installment may be shelved for the time being to wait for other works and studio to go further along past the Plague Wars and drop a big reveal about the Emperor or related. Something they can't possibly drop right now without having the ground work finished and follow-ups to push.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Sigismund could definitely do with some development before the Heresy i think, given what a mess his current setup has been. When running our own heresy series a couple of us discussed outliers like him, a one in a trillion fighter, being possible when such a large population (most of humanity) is putting a large budget (Kinda infinite?) into finding its best and brightest and developing them.

I am shocked that anyone who read Warhawk thinks Sigismund is boring. One of my favorite characters from the entire series, so intense all the time, AND he is the only one who from the beginning was like this is never going to end well.....

It is unfortunate that the next Siege book doesn't even have a title yet.  Doesn't bode well to me, or maybe that is just something that happens at the very end?

i really like what siggy represented in warhawk. thematically i think what wraight did with him was brilliant. was he the only or best conduit for that theme? idk.

i liked that bit from horus rising as well.

but the character himself leaves me cold. there were just way more interesting people and events in the HH for me, but as i said, unpopular opinion.

It is unfortunate that the next Siege book doesn't even have a title yet.  Doesn't bode well to me, or maybe that is just something that happens at the very end?

It doesnt worry me personally. What matters is that the book is done and the presenters and Kyme clearly knew it, and if it wasnt coming soonish they wouldnt have shown off the cover.

Not a bad preview as previews go, missing some big name writers (Wraight, ADB) but at least we have some interesting material coming from some of the less known authors.

Kingmaker by Robert rath sounds great, that cover however, I can't un see the Brettonian helmet their climbing over.

Huron black heart by Mike brooks is a hell yeah! again not liking either of these covers.

Sigismund was a surprise, I am interested to see what more can be added here.

XENOS limited edition looks fabulous will definitely buy that if possible.

Very happy for Ravenor Rogue limited edition as I have the other editions.

I for one liked the Ahriman trilogy so Ahriman eternal is a definite, however will wait for a regular edition as the big fancy edition does not appeal to me this time.

The cover for ADB's siege novel looks spectacular!!!

Edited by Pariah32

Peter Fehervari in the Successors anthology makes me wonder if this will be anything new or maybe just an actual reprint of the ancient micro-short Crown of Thorns, which has only ever been in print as part of a limited event anthology.

The good news is that this is a new story by Fehervari. The “bad/sad” news is that it is only a “short” story. Would dearly love another novel from him, but this is still good!

Hi Duke, have you heard from Peter that this is a new story? I would love this to be true, rather than a reprint of his (totally excellent) Thirteenth Psalm featuring the Angels Penitent.

Defo NEW story about Angels Penitent and not the Thirteenth Psalm.

ahriman Never interested me either. I was hoping french would finish Horusian wars before he would do anything else. He seems to have dropped the series.

I wonder if it's something similar to how Abnett had to get permission for Penitent's twist and beyond. Looking at the Horusians as an institution, and what they do, contrasted with the Yellow King and now also Godblight and the upcoming Throne of Light, the third installment may be shelved for the time being to wait for other works and studio to go further along past the Plague Wars and drop a big reveal about the Emperor or related. Something they can't possibly drop right now without having the ground work finished and follow-ups to push.

Could be. I’m not sure I see it though. The series has been a bit of a flop. It was hyped up before release and had a pile of potential but apart from the superb short stories never realised much of it. The idea I had was the series was going to be a deep dive into the politics of the inquisition and their theology. I still hope the final book, should it ever come, will do that but based on the first two novels I can’t see it. A big story reveal would be even more unlikely.

Oh, I'm with you on that. It really fell flat for me, too. Resurrection felt repetitive, always dodging the issue whenever it seemed to finally get going and give some reveals, and the whole carrot on stick approach lacked an enticing price in the end. I felt frustrated pretty much all the way, by how it consistently brought in action scenes to interrupt conversations or character development.

To this day, I haven't managed to read the second novel, or more of the short stories, with the exception of the audio dramas.

Peter Fehervari in the Successors anthology makes me wonder if this will be anything new or maybe just an actual reprint of the ancient micro-short Crown of Thorns, which has only ever been in print as part of a limited event anthology.

The good news is that this is a new story by Fehervari. The “bad/sad” news is that it is only a “short” story. Would dearly love another novel from him, but this is still good!

Hi Duke, have you heard from Peter that this is a new story? I would love this to be true, rather than a reprint of his (totally excellent) Thirteenth Psalm featuring the Angels Penitent.

Defo NEW story about Angels Penitent and not the Thirteenth Psalm.

I'm so excited that Peter Fehervari is still writing for BL! I had a bad feeling that The Reverie would be the last we heard from him, so I am glad this is not the case!

MOAR COIL!

Oh, I'm with you on that. It really fell flat for me, too. Resurrection felt repetitive, always dodging the issue whenever it seemed to finally get going and give some reveals, and the whole carrot on stick approach lacked an enticing price in the end. I felt frustrated pretty much all the way, by how it consistently brought in action scenes to interrupt conversations or character development.

To this day, I haven't managed to read the second novel, or more of the short stories, with the exception of the audio dramas.

IMO the second novel was far better than the first.

I actually gave up on the first, stopping about halfway. Then when second was coming out I gave it another go. It was still a slog but I persevered. Then read the second novel and found it superior in every way!?

I haven't read the second novel but some of the short stories from Divination anthology are well worth it.

Agreed the anthology Divination really added alot of needed character development for each of Covenants retinue. This for me really helped my read of his second covenant novel Incarnation.

Speaking of which Incarnation was a much better book in both story and setting, the fact it is set on one world really worked and all the clues he lays out throughout in regards to the Emperor trying to manifest in some form, was both fascinating and intriguing.

I've since read it a second time and I enjoyed it even more, as other details I had not picked up on, during my first read through came to light and added even more nuance. John french really found his stride with this one, I highly recommend anyone who was put out off by the first one, to give it a go.

The coming soon section has had, dare I say it, a truly substantial update. January and February both look packed with releases. Good job by BL, seems they’ve gotten their schedule back in order.

There’s updates for AOS, 40k, the HH, and Horror.

January:

Twice Dead King: Reign in both SE and hardback

The Triumph of St. Katherine LE

Day of Ascension in hardback

Krieg by Steve Lyons in hardback

The Book of Martyrs in paperback

Masters of the Hunt, a White Scars omnibus in paperback

The Bookkeeper’s Skull in hardback

February:

Sigismund: The Eternal Crusader LE

Pariah in paperback

The Successors in hardback

Xenos Illustrated Edition LE

Astorath hardback

Cadian Blood readers choice edition in paperback

Saturnine in paperback

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/15/incoming-new-tales-of-the-astra-militarum/

One more new reveal today, this time from a Community article: Catachan Devil by Justin Woolley. Catachans vs Orks.

After a period with minimal guard titles it’s nice to see them coming back strong, especially with non-Cadian regiments. A double dose of Orks is unexpected, but they do make for a good antagonist in guard stories.

Super pumped for the coming update. Every single new January release is on my want list. Hopefully plenty of them will be on audible.

Also very excited to see the return of non-Cadian novels. Back when I got into 40k, a whole series of novels like Rebel Winter and 15 hours were just coming out, so it feels old school to go back to those days.