Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

Really odd wording on the WarCom article “The world-shattering Siege of Terra is drawing to a climax – the penultimate novel Echoes of Eternity gets closer by the day – but there are still a dozen stories to tell about this legendary conflict.” Not ‘dozen*s* of’ but a very specific ‘dozen’. It probably means nothing given their sometimes lackadaisical approach to writing about BL books, but still… 

2 hours ago, aa.logan said:

Really odd wording on the WarCom article “The world-shattering Siege of Terra is drawing to a climax – the penultimate novel Echoes of Eternity gets closer by the day – but there are still a dozen stories to tell about this legendary conflict.” Not ‘dozen*s* of’ but a very specific ‘dozen’. It probably means nothing given their sometimes lackadaisical approach to writing about BL books, but still… 

Almost definitely just WarCom saying nonsense, but it’s fun to speculate. Maybe there’s going to be a dozen stories in the Siege of Terra series - i.e one more novella is coming? 

Much head scratching at this announcement.  Going by the article, which is all we have to go on at this time, we are getting a story that appears out of sequence with the main storyline and/or contradicts a previous core novel.  As has been said by others it would be just as effective as a confrontation/payoff if Garro went after Typhon.

The arrival of this novella appears to explain (to me at least) why ADB’s book has been delayed for so long despite being ready to go for awhile.

edit:  I always expected four novellas once the first was announced, so I still expect another one between the ADB and Abnett finale.

Edited by Felix Antipodes

11 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

The arrival of this novella appears to explain (to me at least) why ADB’s book has been delayed for so long despite being ready to go for awhile.

I dont see how one is related to the other. ADB's book has been delayed presumably due to supply chain issues, or maybe this Augs/Sept release date was always the plan; it does not seem to be related to a Garro novella which in any case seems to be published after Echoes anyway.

Wraight just rescued the Death Guard from Swallow's last attack on their credibility and he's already at it again? Good grief.
I'd like to have seen Garro take on Calas post-Warhawk (ideally if someone else had been writing it) but this looks... well, I'll pass.

If there really are more novellas on the way, though, I'm actually pretty interested. I like the Heresy as a setting and I think there's still plenty of scope for good storytelling in it that doesn't have to involve the main series. I want to see some weird obscure stuff happening outside the main spotlights.

12 hours ago, Taliesin said:

I dont see how one is related to the other. ADB's book has been delayed presumably due to supply chain issues, or maybe this Augs/Sept release date was always the plan; it does not seem to be related to a Garro novella which in any case seems to be published after Echoes anyway.

It will depend on the order of release I suppose, but from what I read in the promo I’m expecting the novella before the ADB novel.  Just my view as there is nothing explicitly said to back that up.

2 hours ago, Von Großschmitt said:

Yeah, same thing happened to me ... (only it was 20 minutes after the release) Seriously, GW?

I managed to order one from a retailer so you might find one somewhere. Still, pretty ridiculous for the standard hardback. 

I know it's a frustrating topic and I'm pretty sure we ready have dedicated threads but I kindly request to focus on the upcoming stories again.

BL and their obvious lack of reason in certain areas is certainly something for a different thread.

There’s an as yet unannounced BL book up for preorder on August 13th. Outgunned by Denny Flowers. No description on Fnac but the cover pretty clearly indicates it’s about Imperium fighter pilots vs Orks. Here’s the link: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17231058/Denny-Flowers-Outgunned#omnsearchpos=2

Alec Worley’s The Wraithbone Phoenix is coming out on the 13th as well.

Edited by cheywood

56 minutes ago, cheywood said:

There’s an as yet unannounced BL book up for preorder on August 13th. Outgunned by Denny Flowers. No description on Fnac but the cover pretty clearly indicates it’s about Imperium fighter pilots vs Orks. Here’s the link: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17231058/Denny-Flowers-Outgunned#omnsearchpos=2

Love this. Fire Made Flesh was excellent, and I've always thought 40k needs more fighter stories. Very excited for this one!

The coming soon page has seen a modest update. Mortarion and the Vorbis Conspiracy are both arriving in September, as is a 20th anniversary edition of Nightbringer and the Soul Drinkers Omnibus. Pretty sure that’s all old hat at this point, but it’s nice to know one of the interns locked in GW’s basement had something to do today. 

I'm a little surprised to see a Soul Drinkers omnibus - assuming it's a reprint of the original (the first three novels).

Feels like it's been a while since those guys were relevant in general fandom discussions. As I mentioned in my Scourge the Heretic review, those books seemed to be flippin' everywhere circa 2008. And then they just sorta vanished. I think the original group of characters' stories got wrapped up in some... serialized format in... something? Was it White Dwarf? I don't even remember - never read anything after the first trio of novels in the omnibus.

5 hours ago, cheywood said:

Added to the page on Fnac? I don’t see a description for it anywhere oddly enough.

Yeah, it's right on that page. Maybe a regional thing?

A Lucille Von Shard Novel

Flight Commander Lucille Von Shard is an ace pilot in the Aeronautica Imperialis, with a bit of a chip on her shoulder. Follow her as she faces off against the aerial forces of the orks.

READ IT BECAUSE

High-flying dogfights unfold in the skies above Bacchus, as the Imperium clash with orks, and an arrogant hotshot uncovers a secret that could doom the entire planet.

THE STORY

The Aeronautica Imperialis are the masters of the skies in the 41st millennium, waging wars of breakneck aerial combat where only skill stands between victory and death. Flight Commander Lucille von Shard is an ace, a living exemplar of what it means to fly in the name of the Emperor… or so Propagandist Kile Simlex is told.

Braving the foetid waters of Bacchus and its rampaging greenskin hordes, Simlex is tasked with producing a cinema-pict portraying Shard as an Imperial hero. Shortly after his arrival planetside, however, he discovers the war effort is in shambles the Imperium’s overstretched forces are in full retreat, the local planetary governor is desperately downplaying the conflict at every turn, and Shard is an arrogant misanthrope who only avoids sanction due to her consummate skills.

But these skills may prove the only hope of survival, for something vast and terrible lurks within the clouds. The Green Storm approaches.

Written by Denny Flowers

Edited by Lord Nord

3 hours ago, A Melancholic Sanguinity said:

I'm a little surprised to see a Soul Drinkers omnibus - assuming it's a reprint of the original (the first three novels).

Feels like it's been a while since those guys were relevant in general fandom discussions. As I mentioned in my Scourge the Heretic review, those books seemed to be flippin' everywhere circa 2008. And then they just sorta vanished. I think the original group of characters' stories got wrapped up in some... serialized format in... something? Was it White Dwarf? I don't even remember - never read anything after the first trio of novels in the omnibus.

Both Soul Drinkers omnibuses were listed on Amazon months ago, so this was pretty expected.

Also just a matter of time in general, considering that Counter apparently came back to write New Soul Drinkers for a novella series, though I don't know if there's been a follow-up to that yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they were getting a new trilogy before long, based on their Primaris-refounding from scratch, and them figuring out their messed-up past.  Best to get the original books back in print before that happens, so people can actually catch up.

This is actually the third edition of their omnibuses - they had two back in the day, then reissues with new covers alongside the new hardback novella, and now another repackaging, presumably with the novella, and yet again new cover art.

The serialized version of Phalanx was in Hammer & Bolter, by the way.

The first edition of the first Soul drinkers omnibus has been sitting on my shelf since it came out still unread.

Unread because I felt so badly burned by Counters’ entries in the HH that I couldn’t bear to read another novel by him.

5 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

The first edition of the first Soul drinkers omnibus has been sitting on my shelf since it came out still unread.

Unread because I felt so badly burned by Counters’ entries in the HH that I couldn’t bear to read another novel by him.

It's been a long time (~2008) but I loved the Soul Drinkers back in the day. I don't know how it holds up now.

I will say, some authors shouldn't be judged by their HH stuff. David Annandale is a fantastic author when he is doing his own thing

1 hour ago, sitnam said:

It's been a long time (~2008) but I loved the Soul Drinkers back in the day. I don't know how it holds up now.

I will say, some authors shouldn't be judged by their HH stuff. David Annandale is a fantastic author when he is doing his own thing

Ben Counter's Daemon World is great. His new Soul Drinkers shorts are good too, would definitely like to see him explore the themes he presents in more detail.