Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

7 minutes ago, System Sound said:

Oh look another Gone-in-3-minutes-Edition! 

And as a bonus it's coming out this month. And not a single sniff of it is on the Coming Soon Page...

Outgunned is out next Saturday and the only mention of its existence on the internet is a French book retailer’s listing.

8 minutes ago, theSpirea said:

Huron's short story is the worst story I've ready by BL. It reads like a bad fan fiction. The novel was a bit better but still not even reaching BL's average (and that is already low). 

Horses for courses, but I quite enjoyed the Huron short novel.  Not great, but nowhere near enough to put me off an author for life.

edit - didn't he also write the very good Alpharius primarch novel?

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

He also wrote the Ufthak novel and some shorts, and the largely praised Rites of Passage.

What miffs me about the limited edition is that they once again add an extra book to the thing. They did with Helwinter's Gate, with Ahriman, and now here.

This lavish, foil-edged limited edition sports a soft-touch hardback cover and a red ribbon bookmark, in a boxed set which also includes Da Grotboss’ Manifesto, a separate illustrated book and short story with revolutionary stylings and a unique afterword by the author.

Da Grotboss' Manifesto sounds like something I'd enjoy. Of course it's locked to Limited Edition nonsense at 2k copies. Wow. I'm impressed. Even when they re-release it as a short story in some random anthology eventually (like Cargo in the upcoming Inferno! Presents), it'll lack the "revolutionary stylings", the afterword, the illustrations. Like, half of what makes it so interesting.

Honestly, they can zog off with those limited editions. Especially in the current economic situation where spending seems at an all time low. Heck, over here in Germany, consumer spending is apparently down to levels not seen since 1994. I'd have to be mad to try and purchase a limited edition like this that'd cost me more than a copy of Gloomhaven, just to have it snagged away from in front of me because their online shopping experience sucks and scalpers are better prepared than me.

GW/BL can't read the room.

Next week’s a big one: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/07/sunday-preview-massed-reinforcements-for-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

Warboss Mega LE by Mike Brooks

Outgunned by Denny Flowers

The Wraithbone Phoenix by Alec Worley

The Fabius Bile Omnibus by Josh Reynolds

Paperback editions of Haley’s Godblight and Farrer’s Urdesh: the Magister and the Martyr

Edited by cheywood

17 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

SGcl7h9rehXKM1Pl.jpg

Anhyone know anything about Denny Flowers as an author? It's a good concept for a novel.

Their Necromunda novel was really good, as have their Warhammer Crime shorts been. Less keen on the Necromunda novella, but I’d say that’s a pretty good hit rate

Denny's Necromunda novel Fire Made Flesh was one of my favorite BL novels last year and definitely my favorite Necromunda novel to date. He also has a bunch of short stories and one novella. All worth checking out. Even though I'm not a fan of Aeronautica/planes/aircrafts in general, I'm getting a copy of Outgunned just to support him.

Well that was a watershed moment for me.  I passed on the Warboss LE - the first time I’ve willingly passed on one when still available.  At AUD$195.00 :eek: I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger.  To be fair, if it was the next from Abnett, Wraight or ADB I wouldn’t have even hesitated.  And it is not that Brooks isn’t a decent author.  I’ve enjoyed his stuff in the past and will line up for the regular edition of this when it eventually appears.

I guess even FOMO and collector’s mentality have their limits (and price ceiling).

edit: I did get Outgunned and Wraithbone Phoenix though to keep me engaged :biggrin:

Edited by Felix Antipodes

1 hour ago, theSpirea said:

My main problem with these big editions is the print/binding quality is basically identical to your usual BL SE/LE but they charge more than double. 

Another thing that I considered.  A special edition should be just that.  The paper quality of BL editions has been dropping for years, especially if you are going to charge crazy prices.  I understand that paper costs have risen dramatically in recent years but that doesn’t excuse the SE quality.

Passed on this limited ed today. Several reasons, these things take up stupid room on a shelf, the add ons were absolutely rubbish, not one of fav authors, can’t stand stupid orks and that had this feel all over it. Only the second of these I’ve not bothered with. Hopefully some scalpers will get stung in this.

looking forward to a new crime book though.

Yes I was also tempted to not get it this time for similar reasons, don't feel like the extra gubbins this edition - other than the grot book - are worth much compared to previous extras, but I do want that grot book, and figured limited editions still hold their value for the most part so if I ever regret spending the money and need some back, it's not a total loss. Having said that, they've upped the print run on this mega edition from 1500 of late to 2000 this time, which I think is a bit optimistic. Still they couldn't at least done page edge colouring / artwork rather than plain white. 

Edited by skylerboodie
Typo

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Lots of disappointed people on facebook reporting that they missed out on today’s new hardback release.  Apparently it sold out in no time at all. 

I bought a copy on eBay at regular price. ‘The model workshop’ was the seller, never used them before but couldnt get a copy on GW. Might not turn up but worth a try. Bad show once again on the hardbacks. 

....they seriously didn't put The Howling Ship into the Fabius Bile Omnibus. That's the short story from the Primogenitor Limited Edition. It's never been made available outside that, and they even refused to print it in the (in)complete Omnibus.

Not just that, they also didn't add Repairer of Ruin.