Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

5 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

The cover characters Runar and Tiberius are directly taken from Gothghul Hollow. I can't help but think that this isn't the final installment in the Murghast arc, though: There's one very important character who hasn't starred on a cover yet, since the grand reveal in GH. I'd wager on an Edrea + mystery character novel to follow.

I believe when they announced the series they said it would be four books

7 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

The cover characters Runar and Tiberius are directly taken from Gothghul Hollow. I can't help but think that this isn't the final installment in the Murghast arc, though: There's one very important character who hasn't starred on a cover yet, since the grand reveal in GH. I'd wager on an Edrea + mystery character novel to follow.

How is Murghast stuff? That and Vampire Genevieve seems rather interesting at least from the blurbs.

Gothghul Hollow was great. It's heavy on character interaction and development, with a very small cast. You got a core mystery, a curse haunting a family and attempts to break it, even as it spills over. It's a much more personal story than you generally see in BL fiction, in my opinion.

Genevieve are classics for a reason. Funnily enough, the series isn't even all about her, though; Beasts in Velvet might be my favorite of the four books, but Genevieve Dieudonne is relegated to a cameo appearance, with the plot being a murder mystery with twists and deceptions. Drachenfels is a "happily ever after" type novel - the big bad evil sorcerer was defeated, what are the heroes up to? It looks at their legacy, flaws and how hero worship can twist the truth of what actually happened. Most of all, it's entertaining!

Genevieve Undead is an anthology, with longer stories than Silver Nails. I think it was three novellas, sequels to Drachenfels and partially Beasts in Velvet. Silver Nails again isn't solely about Genevieve herself but tackles some of the other wider cast members. The stories are diverse in subject matter and focus, fill in some background and open up new episodes. You even get a Gotrek & Felix cameo somewhere in there.

Honestly, they're good books that stand the test of time, even if some lore bits may be seen as strange from where we stand now / stood at the end of the Old World. But it's done so much to breathe life into the Empire and Altdorf in particular, it's hard not to find its influences in any Empire book that followed, one way or another. It informed a lot of the setting going forward, and Kim Newman, aka Jack Yeovil, is a very good author.

And, to round it all up, I do not believe you actually need to know anything about either setting going into these books, be they Gothghul Hollow or the Genevieve omnibus. They lay their foundations well and don't rely on tie-in speech to explain what's happening. You can enjoy them for what they are, as they come to you.

As skylerboodie mentioned, it was originally announced as a four-book series: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/26/what-is-mhurghast-as-the-darkness-creeps-closer-we-delve-into-this-new-warhammer-horror-series/ so the Dale Lucas novel isn't the last one.

As DC said, and something I might have mentioned here once or twice, even if you have no interest in AoS, or are still pissed they/it killed the Fantasy, I encourage you to give the AoS horror a shot. Many of the stories are much better than 40K horror ones.

My gf knows absolutely nothing about Fantasy/AoS and is enjoying AoS horror imprint. So no knowledge is required to jump in.

a note for @Dark Chaplain, Godsbane is 151K words, it's the longest AoS novel. Realm-Lords was 113K.

Edited by theSpirea

Going by the description and excerpt's copyright page, it looks like the Eisenhorn omnibus got gimped.

The Magos, as it was, came with the full casefiles, as in, the short stories for Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Drusher, as well as the Strange Demise of Titus Endor. It appears that the new omnibus only includes Backcloth for a Crown Additional, Missing in Action, The Keeler Image, Regia Occulta and the Magos novel, not the other shorts.

I'd look past the Ravenor stories, those should be in his omnibus anyhow. But skipping Titus Endor, Master Imus's Transgression, Perihelion, and also the Drusher shorts The Curiosity and Gardens of Tycho, both of which are needed to fully grasp Drusher and other side characters involved in The Magos, and are unlikely to be collected anywhere else again, decoupled from The Magos, is pathetic. This isn't where corners should have been cut. It's directly detrimental to the experience, and these stories were originally bundled with The Magos with good reason

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

Going by the description and excerpt's copyright page, it looks like the Eisenhorn omnibus got gimped.

The Magos, as it was, came with the full casefiles, as in, the short stories for Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Drusher, as well as the Strange Demise of Titus Endor. It appears that the new omnibus only includes Backcloth for a Crown Additional, Missing in Action, The Keeler Image, Regia Occulta and the Magos novel, not the other shorts.

I'd look past the Ravenor stories, those should be in his omnibus anyhow. But skipping Titus Endor, Master Imus's Transgression, Perihelion, and also the Drusher shorts The Curiosity and Gardens of Tycho, both of which are needed to fully grasp Drusher and other side characters involved in The Magos, and are unlikely to be collected anywhere else again, decoupled from The Magos, is pathetic. This isn't where corners should have been cut. It's directly detrimental to the experience, and these stories were originally bundled with The Magos with good reason

Yeah its really a strange move to do this. I would call those stories essential to The Magos.

2 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Agreed, but I wonder if a compromise had to be made for page count reasons?  The font is already tiny for the chunky BL omnibuses, and with a page count circa 1000 I wonder if they couldn’t squeeze anything more inside?

Hmm, no sign of the Harrowmaster audiobook today, despite it being edited back into the Sunday preview last weekend … what’s going on??

I don't believe they can justify it with pagecount, not with other omnibus volumes they released over the years. The Eisenhorn novels are reasonably short, shorter than the 400 page default they had going for years. The old omnibus with the three novels, Backcloth and Missing in Action is one of the slimmest omnibuses on my shelf, both physically and in terms of pagecount. Meanwhile they published the Ahriman omnibus with all three novels and the Exodus anthology, or the Salamanders omnibus with the Tome of Fire anthology, or Ciaphas Cain omnibus 3 with added novella and short stories...

The Magos by itself is about as long as the old Eisenhorn novels. The longest Casefile short is Playing Patience, which is in the Ravenor omnibus along with Thorn Wishes Talon. Regia Occulta (included) and Master Imus's Transgression (not included) were originally a single-disc audio drama. They ain't long, would be handled in a few additional pages. Similar goes for The Curiosity and Gardens of Tycho.

In a world where Gaunt's Ghosts omnibuses or Salamanders can beat 1000 pages, they could've fit those vital shorts in, too. Maybe they should just have cut down on the excerpt and advertisements for a change.

The Harrowmaster had no preorder audiobook listed last week, so I've taken it for a copy-paste mistake on WarCom's part. Either way, BL just keeps bungling up things like these, so I'm not surprised.

Edited by DarkChaplain

13 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Agreed, but I wonder if a compromise had to be made for page count reasons?  The font is already tiny for the chunky BL omnibuses, and with a page count circa 1000 I wonder if they couldn’t squeeze anything more inside?

Hmm, no sign of the Harrowmaster audiobook today, despite it being edited back into the Sunday preview last weekend … what’s going on??

Why did Eisenhorn even need to be a single omnibus? As DC said, those shorts are ESSENTIAL and Abnett put a lot of thinking into how they connected (as clear from reading order in The Magos). It is plain stupid!

If page counts were an issue, why not go down the Gaunt’s Ghosts The Victory pt 1 & 2 route?

Madness. The intern screwed up!

Slaves to Darkness army box release, so obviously they’re releasing the thematically-linked novel that they teased the other week to accompany it, right?

The Inferno! anthology looks promising though. Wonder if they’ll be loosely narratively linked like the Inquisition one was…

Christmas realeses: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/02/wrap-yourself-up-in-words-with-christmas-releases-from-black-library

I'm glad they are sticking to the advent calendar but again, very limited and it looks we're getting only e-book short stories. Guess BL is done with audio dramas. Oh well, with the ridiculous print runs and abandoning audio dramas, BL is surely saving me a lot of money these days.

The weekly BL previews have been rather lackluster the past month or so, focusing on smaller titles. I wonder if we’re getting a BL preview event sometime soon for some of next year‘s big releases. There’s a few books we know are coming (The End and The Death, Garro, Wrath of the Lost), but 2023’s mostly a mystery. 

12 minutes ago, son of the forest said:

Annoyed at that primarchs compilation that has 5 new shorts :mad:

Could well be the five short stories previously released separately / digitally:

Grandfather's Gift: A Mortarion Story Guy Haley
The Atonement of Fire David Annandale
A Lesson in Iron David Guymer
Ghost of Nuceria Ian St Martin
Will of the Legion – A Rogal Dorn Story Andy Clark

2 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Could well be the five short stories previously released separately / digitally:

Less annoyed if this is the case, will have to see, although will of the legion was in blood of the emperor

Edited by son of the forest

2 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Still a decent anthology. Some of the shorts are rather interesting.