Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

2 hours ago, StrangerOrders said:

Anyone else have a horrifying feeling with seeing the Volume count on the last Siege book that Abnett is going to make it like 60%+ Perpetual nonsense?

This. His insistence on 'suprises' and cramming in new abnett lore coupled with BL editorial being a joke makes it 99% likely. 

6 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

....lol, they're already coming to the end of the preview. After 3 new announcements.

Chat isn't having it. Lots of cynicism, people asking for the Blockbusters they were promised, calling GW clowns and so forth. Not amused about the lack of World Eaters content, or Black Legion, or basically anything they were hoping for.

Gotta say I did crack up at the end of the preview when they turned to chat for input on what they liked and very clearly people are just left wondering and interested in the other stuff that was not mentioned in the preview :D

Which is a lot, because the preview didnt cover a lot about ongoing series we are awaiting next volumes for.

And fair point to chat on the blockbusters, there were none, so why promise several? Bizarre. 

5 hours ago, System Sound said:

If they would stop waffling for so God damn long about nothing, maybe, just maybe , they would have more time to show more books!? Oh but I forget it's BL we're talking about. There's probably nothing else ready yet... Or the "intern" is on holiday again so he didn't have the time to make more slides.
Another reveals stream, another disappointment. Could have just made post on the community site and be done with it. What a waste of everyone's time...

It was definitely a more limited preview than the last few years. Consdering this was the only preview they did this year, I thought they would have more to show. 

I suspect they would though, if they had material ready to show.

2 hours ago, StrangerOrders said:

Anyone else have a horrifying feeling with seeing the Volume count on the last Siege book that Abnett is going to make it like 60%+ Perpetual nonsense?

Yeah its not great and the longer I think about it the worse it is.

To be fair, I don’t expect much from GW/BL previews.  All hype and no punch usually.  This one must surely rate as one of their worst though.  The poor bastards they had presenting it were like deer in the headlights and, to make matters worse, were obviously not BL subject matter experts.  You would think if you were lumbered with the role a bit of research and/or crammed reading would be on the cards.

The previews themselves were only average, with only Cypher being a ‘yay’ moment.  I’m assuming it is a reworking of the planned audiobook series previously announced.

DoF 5 sounds interesting but for a series that has both an editor and a show runner there doesn’t appear to be a strong hand on the continuity tiller.

First Founding could either be great or a disaster depending where they go with it.  I expect a Chaos version sooner rather than later, followed by a Second Founding edition once they get into the Scouring era.

Really happy with the choices for special editions this time round, especially the Word Bearers box set.  They can’t have many more ADB books to give the SE treatment?  Who will be their next golden goose?

The books that cannot be mentioned (AoS) all seem interesting.  Too bad I’ve never been able to get into that setting.  Will wait for the return of WFB.

New books from Justin D Hill and a first from promising up & comer Jude Reid will keep me happy and reading.

Disappointments were the lack of depth of the coverage.  I don’t think we saw anything post February release.  I was also disappointed that there wasn’t anything set in the Leagues of Votann setting or the World Eaters.  Possibly held back for post 10th edition?

Would rather Justin had stuck to the Cadia series. Sisters books have so far been pretty disappointing. 
Looking forward to Cypher but I’m not much of a John French fan. So in my gut I’m expecting a disappointment.

Its getting harder to get me excited about BL and this big reveal did very little to stimulate my interest.

Good books coming out - at least Cypher, The End and the Death (Doesn't make much sense the title does it?) which now are three books... Are they all written? I remember hearing about two books and not three.

So they annouced all of these, but they've been annoucing others and don't mention them like all horror stuff, Traitor by Deed; Black Eyed Saint, Bonereapers, Godeater's Son, Angron Red Angel enfim.. Don't understand their logic

Btw, in other stuff, I order the new gotrek gurnisson and in my order on view order details says "no longer avaiable online" . Is this normal? I am bit afraid because I also bought last month shadowsun and after two days they cancelled with no information given.

Thanks in advance

0 1 EUR130
Hammers of Sigmar: First Forged (Hardback)  0 1 EUR22

19 minutes ago, chevalierdulys said:

Good books coming out - at least Cypher, The End and the Death (Doesn't make much sense the title does it?) which now are three books... Are they all written? I remember hearing about two books and not three.

So they annouced all of these, but they've been annoucing others and don't mention them like all horror stuff, Traitor by Deed; Black Eyed Saint, Bonereapers, Godeater's Son, Angron Red Angel enfim.. Don't understand their logic

Btw, in other stuff, I order the new gotrek gurnisson and in my order on view order details says "no longer avaiable online" . Is this normal? I am bit afraid because I also bought last month shadowsun and after two days they cancelled with no information given.

Thanks in advance

They don't announce/mention already announced books. That's why they don't talk about Angron, Godeater's Son, etc. The SoT is an exception for obvious reasons.

Regarding the prices/conversions one of the previous posts mentioned. It's something people have been complaining about for ages.

Gotrek was 95 GBP and if we compare it to other regions (GBP converted using Google to the target currency): 130 EUR (18% increase). 160 USD (38% increase), 205 AUD (20% increase), 181.75 NZD (no increase).

I would suggest contacting GW via chat directly to check on your order but I think it only sources the current info from the GW store.

The End and the Death (Doesn't make much sense the title does it?) which now are three books... Are they all written? I remember hearing about two books and not three.

The whole thing is written. Abnett is done, they're merely polishing / making some edits on the road to putting them in print. Abnett confirmed that during his interview segment yesterday.

21 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

The books that cannot be mentioned (AoS) all seem interesting.

Strachan is solid, I'll definitely be checking out his new book (even if Vandus and his host aren't usually very interesting and I really miss Gardus et al)

On 12/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, Nagashsnee said:

This. His insistence on 'suprises' and cramming in new abnett lore coupled with BL editorial being a joke makes it 99% likely. 

Nah, he's just writing an ending for once. :wink:

Is there any information on what was changed between the two editions of Guy Haley's Dark Imperium or did I dreamt that stuff was changed?

I've got the boxset PLUS the two first dark emperium (published before). I know they got a reprint, I thought at that time it was just a cover stuff but then I've read somewhere that stuff was changed. Anyone knows what?

I do hope the boxset has the "final" edition...

Primarily, changes with the timeline. Some canon connections were strengthened, some mentions of events that now happen after instead of before got cleaned up. Some sections were partially rewritten (surprisingly even the opening section) and stuff that hadn't been a thing back then, like Vigilus, were mentioned.

The box set is the Redux version, so you're good to go with that. The original version and Redux are largely the same novels, obviously, but the devil is in the detail, and there's no reason to read the original versions anymore, outside of curiosity. Especially with Dawn of Fire being a thing, it's the new versions you'll want to stick with.

41 minutes ago, chevalierdulys said:

Is there any information on what was changed between the two editions of Guy Haley's Dark Imperium or did I dreamt that stuff was changed?

I've got the boxset PLUS the two first dark emperium (published before). I know they got a reprint, I thought at that time it was just a cover stuff but then I've read somewhere that stuff was changed. Anyone knows what?

I do hope the boxset has the "final" edition...

Off the top of my head (bearing in mind that it's been a while since I've read the original version and am only listening distractedly to the audiobook of the revised version on my work commute, so caveat emptor):

As DarkChaplain stated, the primary change is the incorporation of the setting-wide retcon of the duration and timeline of the Indomitus Crusade and its aftermath. The Dark Imperium novels went from occurring over a century after the Great Rift and Guilliman's awakening to over a decade afterwords.

Some of the details have changed. In the original version, Guilliman had his personal Heresy-era weapons during the confrontation with Fulgrim in the prologue of the novel - his Gladius Incandor and Hand of Dominion. In the revised version he's already wielding the Emperor's sword.

There're some new mentions of the Pariah Nexus as a thing the Imperium will have to get around to dealing with at some point. (The Pariah Nexus was an addition from the 40k 9th ed., while Dark Imperium was originally written fairly early on in 8th ed.)

The revised version has Marneus Calgar having already become a Primaris. I personally think this was one of the poorer changes, because the original Dark Imperium actually had an interesting Calgar for once - a Firstborn from another era, a remnant from an age rapidly passing. Once the premier Chapter Master, now essentially overshadowed in all respects by a bloody Primarch. That Calgar had a fascinating mix of resignation, resentment, and melancholy. He was the old general past his prime, watching times change and still trying to hold himself together for the sake of his men and duty even while other ascendant stars from a new generation of warriors begin their rises. 

That Calgar was the face of the old setting, looking around and wondering if he still has a place in the new. It was quite the fitting metaphor, a resonant piece of symbolism touching on both in- and out-setting zeitgeists at the time.

Having Primaris Calgar pout about Guilliman swooping in to save the day just loses a certain something.

Sorry, I got uber sidetracked there. The core narrative events of Dark Imperium remain the same. It's just the setting background details and some worldbuilding that have been tweaked.

thank you all for your info, it's very interesting. I never noticed when they republish novels they change stuff between editions.  Probably happened before and the only time I noticed that was in second book of orfeu trilogy by brian craig, the original boxtree edition there is like a sex scene (like a couple of sentences) and the BL novel didn't.

Besides that never found anything else...

Actually what happened with Dark Imperium is very much not the norm.

BL/GW generally don't care about details of past works in their catalogue. Nobody is going to go through and revise, say, Eldar Prophecy, or Storm of Iron, or the Grey Knights series, or James Swallow's Blood Angels, etc. to get them to better match current "big studio" lore.

Dark Imperium was an outlier case precisely because it was so intrinsically tied in with GW studio background/lore/metaplot, and that it was so relatively recent that the series was still ongoing while GW was also actively retconning the timeline between 8th and 9th editions.

The other notable case I've heard of is some quiet edits of the numerical size of the Space Marine Legions in reprints of early Horus Heresy novels (I think Horus Rising in particular, given how many times that's been reprinted/repackaged).

Another change in Dark Imperium was regarding Uriel Ventris. His conversation with Guilliman has a few things changed. Iirc, Ventris is already Primaris now, when before he hadn't been (which makes little sense when the timeline is ~120 years post-Rift, as opposed to the ~12 years it is now)

On 12/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, Knockagh said:

Would rather Justin had stuck to the Cadia series. Sisters books have so far been pretty disappointing. 
Looking forward to Cypher but I’m not much of a John French fan. So in my gut I’m expecting a disappointment.

Its getting harder to get me excited about BL and this big reveal did very little to stimulate my interest.

The only Sisters of Battle stuff I've enjoyed reading has been Fehervari's gritty uber-Gothic depictions in Requiem Infernal etc...

Imo, this is how SoB should be done. The other stuff just falls flat. If Justin goes down the same route as Peter Fehervari, then we're in for a good time. He's a talented enough writer to pull it off.

Cypher should be an interesting one, as long as it's more than just "unreliable narrator" guff. But I'm not happy about the potential for it ruining Chris Wraight's Terra timeline that he's spent so long establishing and making great. My head-canon might have to ignore any retconning in Cypher. Just like I'm ignoring Graham McNeill's depiction of Horus in the recent-ish Primarchs series short story (There's NO WAY that was accepted by BL editors/studio heads!?).

And for all those (nothing specific to you, Knockagh) who expressed disappointment at the latest BL Preview, isn't it always this way? When has a BL Preview ever excited anyone on here? Look back at previous threads, everyone is constantly disappointed.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:15 PM, Scribe said:

Yeah its not great and the longer I think about it the worse it is.

Don't let the toxic negativity get to you.

Dan Abnett is consistently fantastic. This book has been workshopped ad nauseum by the team, and Saturnine is (possibly) my favourite ever BL novel. It has a great pedigree and there is no one I would rather have bringing the entire series home.

13 hours ago, byrd9999 said:

Don't let the toxic negativity get to you.

Dan Abnett is consistently fantastic. This book has been workshopped ad nauseum by the team, and Saturnine is (possibly) my favourite ever BL novel. It has a great pedigree and there is no one I would rather have bringing the entire series home.

I cant tell if you are being serious or not. The book which is 1 book, no wait 2! Did we say 2 books, lets just say books... is the one that has been 'workshopped ad nauseum'? Like i am all for positivity and 100% agree Saturnine was fantastic.  But they could not even workshop how many books the siege series has ( and no one forced them to tell us all the number of books, they CHOOSE to do so which should tell you everything you need to know).  So the planning of the siege is hardly something to toot.    

2 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

I cant tell if you are being serious or not. The book which is 1 book, no wait 2! Did we say 2 books, lets just say books... is the one that has been 'workshopped ad nauseum'? Like i am all for positivity and 100% agree Saturnine was fantastic.  But they could not even workshop how many books the siege series has ( and no one forced them to tell us all the number of books, they CHOOSE to do so which should tell you everything you need to know).  So the planning of the siege is hardly something to toot.    

I am being serious. The story Dan wanted to tell ended up extending longer than 1 book. Why would they refuse?

Matthew Farrer's Urdesh book was extended into 2. Many people on this board complain that the hardcover short-novel format (like Primarchs series) is too short to allow authors to tell the story they want to tell.

If you are a fan of BL and the Heresy, surely more words is a good thing?

Don't let the swirling vortex of negativity drag you down. It sounds like you're in its sway. Swim against the tide. Head for the light :)

14 minutes ago, byrd9999 said:

If you are a fan of BL and the Heresy, surely more words is a good thing?

I’m not sure that follows. Not all words throughout the Heresy have been equal (and that includes some of Dans, who is my favourite BL author). 

1 hour ago, fire golem said:

I’m not sure that follows. Not all words throughout the Heresy have been equal (and that includes some of Dans, who is my favourite BL author). 

I agree. There was overuse of the word “wet”, it is not a good word. Needed to stop! Oh and “leopard” I mean come on! Why use that word so often!

I’m joking BTW