Violent Gods: 3rd return to the hobby's the charm? (Updated 02/18/2024)

bloodhound23

Still need a ton of weathering, to be sure, and I’m also holding off on a single stage to apply some Tuskgor Fur so I can tie in with the wreckage, but otherwise I’m quite happy with how the mostly done shattered glass effect turned out. Had plenty of learning curves but I think it’ll even out by the final product.

I’m just happy to be making more frequent, steady progress + updates!

IMG_1955.thumb.jpeg.c5be7294c91a521aba46a0b28c5af4fc.jpeg
IMG_1956.thumb.jpeg.48e1e2727dba5e9e7d887a47612a9b36.jpeg

On 4/9/2022 at 6:07 PM, bloodhound23 said:

51962492792_d0d0b04798_c.jpg

BC with a soon to be outdated beakie head! Very excited about the new kits!

51962492887_2115708c69_c.jpg

BC- honestly a kind of weird pose, but I think I'll get over it. I tried to make this guy properly MkV as possible.

51964054680_ae72ef5aeb_c.jpg

WD300 ^^^ Christian Byrne's IW army, again.

51963492641_85fed7e997_c.jpg

Also WD300- Dave Taylor's Crimson Fists. (Notice the leg choice and pose.)

51963557763_8e8c00a003_c.jpg

Another BC inspired by some WD300 builds. Evidenced cited above:

That Dave Taylor Crimson fist with the IW helmet is one of my fave things lol. I actually use that head exclusively for my chapter master. 

@Firedrake Cordova

Thanks! The photo is a little too well lit honestly, I’ll try and get a close up with more detail. 

It’s Celestra Grey with thinned down Coelia Greenshade over it, and then I tried to glaze the Celestra Grey back over in a way to leave the shade in the corners. I borrowed a Aeronautica tutorial trick where you highlight towards and imagined light source, so here it would be coming from the top right of the perspective in the photos. 
Final highlight with Ulthuan Grey then Ardcoat, then some Marine Juice to tie it together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. Now I just need to nail down cable colors. The yellow isn’t finished, but I’m not sure it was the right choice. And ideally, that will help me decide colors for the missile launcher guy. And I don’t love my choice of gold for the plasma pistol either, so I’m open to suggestions. 

I am happy with the grenades, so thanks to everyone for their feedback!

PS the skin will be pale with some purple recesses. What if I painted the yellow cable a medium blue?

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

@Firedrake Cordova

That’s still primer on the coils, but I was thinking of using a bluish green since I was going do do a bit of a glaze on the power sword as well, but maybe that’s a good idea!

Was more feeling odd about the cable on the pistol I painted gold. 

And maybe I will finish the yellow and paint the face before I decide to change the color…

Wow, it's been way to long since I popped by your log. I'd forgotten how cool it was, and how much it captures the vibe of classic kitbashes and renegade marines from the White Dwarfs and Codexes. 

The transitions on the canopy of the crashed lander are excellently done. I think dark green was exactly the right choice for the grenades. They don't dissapear amongst the rest of the metals, but they're not directly drawing the attention. I think yellow works for the cables, perhaps more muted, or with hazard stripes if you want something a bit less bright? I'd use the same colour for the plasma gun cable too.

DA15749A-ED3F-433E-AC3B-2BAB8B59DAF5.jpeg

Good news is I’ve finished a section of the lander! Finished some of weathering and then drybrushed up with Tuskgor Fur and Karak Stone. Just need to drybrush the rest now. 

The bad news is that I’m still feeling kinda left with a fairly monochromatic feel since I chose red for the hull. I blew right past the stage where I could have fixed it, and I was pretty set on making it an Inquistion or Martian vehicle in my head canon. So I think I’m stuck with it. I suppose there’s no in game rule that prevents crashed vehicles from blending into the ground, if that’s just how it works out. Mechanicus players deal with our this, so I guess it can’t be totally impossible, and it doesn’t look bad when I see Ad Mech models, so maybe I’m overthinking it.

I might try some vegetation for some contrast in color since the idea for the setting is a *desertifying* planet, not something as totally barren as Mars. 

Taking for grass/shrub vegetation basing products if anyone has any. I know a lot of folks use those little Army Painter ones.

Or: maybe I need transfers? It’s not too late for that either. Maybe Astra Militarum or Sororitas ones will give me some good numbers I can throw on there. 

More soon, and thanks for looking and commenting! It’s helped keep me motivated.

Edited by bloodhound23

It looks good to me. Whilst the red of the ship is similar to the red of the base - both being "reds" - I don't think it blends in too much. I suppose you could say it looks like it's at the start of the "being reclaimed by the environment" process?

If you were concerned about it, Gamers Grass do little 2mm tufts that you could put in some of the crevices to add visual separation?

Here's the rest of the lander set up finished!

They need touchups, varnish, and some tufts, and maybe even could use some more damage/weathering, but other than that...

53536617267_630700b81e_z.jpg

53537683978_8ec7fc6198_z.jpg

53536617232_cfdeac06c4_z.jpg

53536617597_6d59826783_z.jpg

53537820184_71c4787c51_z.jpg

Let me know what you think! I kinda think they could be a little dirtier. Maybe more Karak Stone drybrushing. The windows also are a little clean, but I'm apprehensive about dirtying them up too much.

Thanks for looking.

I think it looks great as-is. :thumbsup: I remember that model quite fondly, and was always a bit sad that I never got one. 

I'm almost tempted to suggest picking out edges of the big scrapes on the nose with a lighter metal, but then again if you're going for the "been there a while" look, that's probably not appropriate. Have you thought about adding some (dry) weathering powder to the deep recesses to represent "blown in" dirt? (I'm thinking of the wing "vanes")

Can't wait to see it fully finished. :smile: 

I have just finished carefully going through your thread and I can say two things: I regret not doing this way earlier and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You did an amazing job brining back a concept from the early 2000's into 'modern 40k' - the conversions are so delightful. An excellent use of bits, as well as some long-forgotten inspiration from White Dwarf. Many of your Marines seem quite imposing (a product of the newer kits used for conversions and posing). Makes me all that sadder that GW messed up the scale(s) of many of their product lines and didn't stick to the way they did Deathwatch Marines.

The terrains are looking great, too. The glass of the broken canopy seems particularly good. I'm not much for painting advice; but I'm really looking forward to see the painted infantry.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Group shot and a few closeups!

So I tried to focus a little more on photo quality.

Here are some group shots and some closeups on bits that I'm particularly proud of.

I tried to give (via glazing) the Sgt a #1 guard buzz over a greying Norwood 6, a la Colonel Saul Tigh of the Galactica. :biggrin:

Apologies for the dust :'(

53580637470_9699414517_z.jpg

53580637485_2f9d655efe_z.jpg

53580409698_405e71576e_z.jpg

53580512859_405e71576e_z.jpg

53580637235_b1c78e5541_z.jpg

53580195846_64a912ce1d_z.jpg

53580195866_f1fb851097_z.jpg

53579326387_ea0b6cd25f_z.jpg

53580637415_50f6e28eb0_z.jpg

53580512924_6899146b01_z.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm happy to say I've been painting steadily and have picked up some tips for the next batch, which ought to be coming soon.

Edited by bloodhound23

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Inspired by Iron Gauntlet 2024 and the March for March, here are the those first 5 Marines from the original post here redone with the new armor color scheme:

5AECB385-D2FB-47CA-AE90-5784CC8D4002.thumb.jpeg.af1ce5878152aa11ac150da639051a94.jpeg

It was Iron Gauntlet 2017, in fact, that solidified the ideas that I had been brewing in my head for years when I was trying to combine SW and Chaos bits in a way that reflected an original warband idea. 

And so the Violent Gods were born. And 7 years later, I am finally finishing them!

So thanks to all those of you now and over the years who have been involved in keeping this project going! Every single like/view/comment has given me motivation to stick with it. 

Edited by bloodhound23

• 3 weeks later...

0223FAF5-0EF3-460D-BD3F-5A34CC599BBE.thumb.jpeg.36c1baa1de608f64a90b88d946953623.jpeg

Still making progress painting, but on a whim I decided to purchase and hack up this Heroes Brother Garus. 

The head is not chosen, so I’m still thinking of other options.

I do not recommend doing what I did! Hours of delicate cutting and sanding to preserve as much of the original belt and torso tubing as possible, and I still have gaps to fill by the arms. I do like the finished product, though.