Size Increases and Terminators

Wulf Vengis

I think the CSM terminator refresh is the best example of what to expect for the future of firstborn releases.

Yeah. Those and the "Space Marine Heroes" series of terminators are probably what we can expect, sizewise.

Edited by Antarius

I think you are more likely to see Terminators get bigger in 30k rather than 40k to be honest. I'm not doom saying here but I can't see a proper dedicated release for 40k marine terminators any time soon.

My prediction would be that Horus Heresy seems to starting to revise how armour marks came into being and greater freedom on options not previously available such as Predator twin lascannon turrets. If they have any sense they will be far more open in what you can include in your armies to increase sales.

I personally think we could see Indomitus armour being redone as part of a soft reboot of HH as we are already seeing that with the revised MK6 armour and the changes to the design.

I think the CSM terminator refresh is the best example of what to expect for the future of firstborn releases.

Yeah. Those and the "Space Marine Heroes" series of terminators are probably what we can expect, sizewise.

Got a handful of Space Marine Heroes Termies mixed in with my other guys. They are definitely taller than your average Terminator.

We did not see a lot of new Terminators because Aggressors were intended to be their replacement. Now that GW seems to be recovering from the collective brain fart that told them stuff like that was a good idea, we probably will indeed see Primaris Terminators.

It is well established in the lore that not all Space Marines have the exact same physical proportions, and Terminator armor can be resized to fit the user.

Easy enough to say "we have now finished resizing enough Terminator armor for our Primaris veterans."

Edited by phandaal

Terminator suits are rare, marines will go to war to reclaim a single suit. Primaris shouldnt have them anyway as they are taller than average marines, how are they gonna stretch them to fit? 

Keep Terminators firstborn.

Could buffed movement and eased transport requirements save them? Or shifting battlefield roles around so they don't compete for the same sp

I've been thinking the same thing. Everyone seems to realize that the Primaris/Firstborn divide is pretty arbitrary and really disruptive to the actual game play experience of the SM armies.

Let let space marines use space marine transports, period.

But more on topic, I agree with everyone else that Terminators should stay in the 40K range. I and many others already have re-scaled terminators in the SM Heroes and the old 2014 Spacehulk sculpts. GW has the technology to make the basic box terminators bigger, better, stronger. they just lack...what, motivation, quarterly sales projections?

I imagine the new 30k termies will be bigger lads, and people will just use relic terminators. Maybe the Space Marine 2.0 Codex will come out after the new 30k launch, and contain data sheets for all the new toys from 30k, hopefully including new Relic Termies and the Spartan for them to ride in. Edited by Marshall Mittens

SM hero series terminators look very comfortable when placed next to primaris models.

But they have only 2 sculpts of TH+SS and 1 of claws. So if you want to build units in gaming with these models, you may need to do some extra conversion to avoid too obvious clones.

Edited by Tokugawa

I'm of the mindset that terminators were largely ruined when they released the new Abbadon. His suit works on a level that no terminator has since (and he came before the new chaos termie kit, which didn't share in his superior design). It's the same problem I had with small classic marine minis when primaris entered the fray, they just start to look really wrong when I had a frame of reference that looks less wrong.

Could buffed movement and eased transport requirements save them? Or shifting battlefield roles around so they don't compete for the same sp

I've been thinking the same thing. Everyone seems to realize that the Primaris/Firstborn divide is pretty arbitrary and really disruptive to the actual game play experience of the SM armies.

Let let space marines use space marine transports, period.

But more on topic, I agree with everyone else that Terminators should stay in the 40K range. I and many others already have re-scaled terminators in the SM Heroes and the old 2014 Spacehulk sculpts. GW has the technology to make the basic box terminators bigger, better, stronger. they just lack...what, motivation, quarterly sales projections?

Sorry, you are too tall to ride the Thunderhawk.

I'm of the mindset that terminators were largely ruined when they released the new Abbadon. His suit works on a level that no terminator has since (and he came before the new chaos termie kit, which didn't share in his superior design). It's the same problem I had with small classic marine minis when primaris entered the fray, they just start to look really wrong when I had a frame of reference that looks less wrong.

Can't say I miss the aesthetic of bow-legged squatting.

We did not see a lot of new Terminators because Aggressors were intended to be their replacement. Now that GW seems to be recovering from the collective brain fart that told them stuff like that was a good idea, we probably will indeed see Primaris Terminators.

It is well established in the lore that not all Space Marines have the exact same physical proportions, and Terminator armor can be resized to fit the user.

Easy enough to say "we have now finished resizing enough Terminator armor for our Primaris veterans."

I don't think they were intended to be a replacement for termies. Out of the initial wave of primaris they were the unit that felt the most unique to me. Taking away the shoots twice changed that alot unfortunately, wish they had came up with a better solution than just getting rid of that ability.

I do think we'll see new termies at some point, they're an iconic part of the range.

I sit a tacticus next to a gravis and it looks like heavy armor but definitely not a terminator replacement. A Primaris Terminator would have to look closer to but still smaller than a Centurion. I haven’t seen an Abaddon model on the table top but I would bet it’s the closest to proper scale at the moment.

I don't think they were intended to be a replacement for termies. Out of the initial wave of primaris they were the unit that felt the most unique to me. Taking away the shoots twice changed that alot unfortunately, wish they had came up with a better solution than just getting rid of that ability.

I do think we'll see new termies at some point, they're an iconic part of the range.

Aggressors were definitely supposed to be Primaris Terminators. Heavily armored versions of normal Primaris, complete with their own version of storm bolters/power fists (boltstorm gauntlets) and cyclone missile launchers (fragstorm grenade launchers).

It does feel like GW moved away from that pretty quickly we ended up with Gravis basically just being another flavor of regular infantry.

Terminators are just too iconic to get rid of. We have seen updated Termie sculpts with things like Chaos Terminators, Space Marine Heroes, and Abaddon, so it should not be too much of a stretch to embiggen those model files and bring them in line with the rest of the Primaris range.

Mk10 armour takes a lot of visual cues from the Mk4 pattern. Given that Tartaros pattern armour follows the same cues, I wonder if Primaris Terminators would echo the design of Tartaros armour? It has a similar clean "tacticool" vibe as the first wave of Primaris releases.

gallery_82363_15677_738.jpg

Mk10 armour takes a lot of visual cues from the Mk4 pattern. Given that Tartaros pattern armour follows the same cues, I wonder if Primaris Terminators would echo the design of Tartaros armour? It has a similar clean "tacticool" vibe as the first wave of Primaris releases.

Primaris definitely follow that 30k aesthetic. Do not think that would satisfy many customers on Terminators though.

People do not want brand new Terminators - they want existing Terminators to scale up with the range refresh.

SM hero series terminators look very comfortable when placed next to primaris models.

But they have only 2 sculpts of TH+SS and 1 of claws. So if you want to build units in gaming with these models, you may need to do some extra conversion to avoid too obvious clones.

There are other sculpts such as the Ancient.

I want Primaris terminators as do many. Thanks 

Edited by Black Blow Fly

gallery_82363_15677_738.jpg

While that makes sense, I never was much of a fan of Tartaros suits. Indomitus and Cataphractii is what embodies 40k for me.

It's different with standard power armour, I love marks 3, 4, 5 (I know, I know, it's not a real mark), 7, 8 and X. Also Phobos. All have their own style - 3 with it's more brutish look, 5 similar to that. 4 and Phobos for something sleek and 7 and 8 for the old school marine with the proper helmet. And yes, I call those proper. Never liked the beakies, never ever.

But since most Primaris suits are the "teched up" versions of older marks, I'd assume to see a reworking of Indomitus suits, just because that shilouette and that helmet are so iconic.

Aggressors were definitely supposed to be Primaris Terminators. Heavily armored versions of normal Primaris, complete with their own version of storm bolters/power fists (boltstorm gauntlets) and cyclone missile launchers (fragstorm grenade launchers).

It does feel like GW moved away from that pretty quickly we ended up with Gravis basically just being another flavor of regular infantry.

Terminators are just too iconic to get rid of. We have seen updated Termie sculpts with things like Chaos Terminators, Space Marine Heroes, and Abaddon, so it should not be too much of a stretch to embiggen those model files and bring them in line with the rest of the Primaris range.

I don't see it, fragstorms aren't even close to cyclones and everyone in the squad has them. They can't deep strike, aren't veterans, and don't have alot of options.

Are they heavy infantry sure, but they aren't some terminator replacement. I think if they were intended to replace anything it'd be assault centurions.

Regardless whether we agree on that isn't really important because we both see terminators as iconic enough that they will get touched up. Personally I think GW would have done the TS, and DG in the old scale if they didn't intend to upside them so I think it's alwayd been the case.