Size Increases and Terminators

Wulf Vengis

Inspiration —> concept design —> lore —> rules

Personally, I prefer the Aggressor design over Eradicators and Heavy Intersessors. I’m not so keen “take a marine with a bolter or a melta gun and make them chunkier.” It’s not that I don’t like them, I just find the Aggressors to be visually complimentary when next to Intercessors.

I'd agree with that.

I like Heavy Intercessors, because they make sense to me. They're meant to be an anchor, and control space so heavier army makes sense. They aren't exciting but they feel like they belong.

Eradicators I'm cool with because of the space wolves hunting monster mentality but they don't make sense. A foot anti-tank unit that needs to be close shouldn't use heavy armor. Thematically though I like them, and the unit feels impressive on the tabletop while filling a need for a lot of primaris players.

Aggressors on the other hand, not only make sense but have a bit more of wow factor. They're weapons are designed to be used on the move, and they aren't pushovers in CC. It doesn't hurt that most marine armies don't have another unit that advances every turn, while shooting every turn, and can hit hard enough in close combat to deter people from trying to tie them up. It just feels well designed on a lot of levels (the initial design with the shoots twice was really interesting).

I like all the gravis models ... I just wished they were priced appropriately for their level of survivability and maneuverability..

I think eradicators and inceptors are priced fine (at least pointwise). Aggressors and Heavy Intercessors I think could use a slight discount or maybe more effective base guns. 

I’m sorry but Gravis is definitely the new Terminator equivalent for Primaris

No. I don't think so. I'm betting at some future point there will be a terminator model resculpt and resizing for primaris marines. Terminator armor vs Gravis armor is like comparing apples to oranges. Gravis is also inferior stats-wise.

Edited by Helias Tancred

I’m sorry but Gravis is definitely the new Terminator equivalent for Primaris

No. I don't think so. I'm betting at some future point there will be a terminator model resculpt and resizing for primaris marines. Terminator armor vs Gravis armor is like comparing apples to oranges. Gravis is also inferior stats-wise.

Which is why so many special characters use it

I do think it is comparing apples to oranges, but that's because Terminator armor isn't a Primaris form of armor. At the moment there is a clear divide between the two. I don't think Primaris will have Terminator armor unless GW decides to phase out Firstborn and there is no sign of that happening any time soon.

I do think it is comparing apples to oranges, but that's because Terminator armor isn't a Primaris form of armor. At the moment there is a clear divide between the two. I don't think Primaris will have Terminator armor unless GW decides to phase out Firstborn and there is no sign of that happening any time soon.

I have it through the grapevine that Primaris Terminators are coming.  Apply salt, but I trust my guy and he trusts his source.

I have it through the grapevine that Primaris Terminators are coming.  Apply salt, but I trust my guy and he trusts his source.

Ditto my friend.  

Here’s a thing now though - we’re nearing the 5 year mark of the Primaris release.

If “Primaris Terminators” come out now, we’ll have no idea exactly why they are coming out, we’re now at the point where we can say “we’re in GW’s development timing”.  Unless GW tells us, we’ll never know if Gravis was originally intended to be the equivalent suit for Primaris that Terminator armor is for standard Astartes, and we’ll never know why it changed, if it even did change.  Maybe they realized based on early sales figures that the Gravis units weren’t selling in a way that indicated acceptance, maybe the theme/tone of them wasn’t right for folks (customers or internal designers), maybe it was a rules failure from the beginning, or they didn’t develop the rules that people really wanted to see for the “heavy armor Marines” and just never pivoted to it, or maybe “Primaris Terminators” were coming all along and they delayed releasing them for various business or public health issue reasons.  There’s a lot of uncertainty now though because we have a figure for what GW’s development window encompasses and we are now within that.

I will say that given where we are now in the timing vs. possibility of GW development, I don’t believe that “Primaris Terminators”, as such, were a hard concept that they developed as part of the initial Primaris line - if they were one of the original armor types they wanted them to have, we’d have gotten them by now.  I will also say that whether this is true or not doesn’t matter a lick if we do actually get them.

I’m pondering this - if/when Primaris Terminators come out, what do I want to see as the rules for them?  What niche could they fill for me to be useful in my army, and is there any competition in that niche already?  Then, if they don’t fill that niche, am I going to pass them by?

I have it through the grapevine that Primaris Terminators are coming. Apply salt, but I trust my guy and he trusts his source.

If these are scaled-up versions of Indomitus Terminator models then I will be building another "Oops, All Termies!" army in 2023.

What do Primaris Terminators offer that the Primaris range is lacking?

Is it the teleportation? It can be achieved through other means and it isn't particularly impactful on Terminator units in particular. It's far more deadly on something with dangerous firepower.

Are we wanting storm-shields? That could be interesting for sure, but again, not something to change how I think about the army.

Terminators, like Aggressors, are slow moving infantry units with Str8 cc attacks and Str4 ranged weapons that take up two spots in an expensive transport. I prefer the Aggressor Fists with 4 attacks each over the Thunderhammers on Terminators at this point anyway.

If they add a taller Terminator model to the range, that's exactly the kind of bloat we should be trying to get away from. Loyalist Terminators have no exciting wargear options like the Chaos alternatives, and the new Gravis Captain kit is a great alternative to a Terminator Captain, and it even has a half-decent selection of wargear.

What I think would be more interesting and beneficial to the army, would be Primaris Centurions. A heavy, durable suit with impressive firepower that can be catered to different roles, such as long range firepower or high-volume shooting at close range.

No I get that they have classic status, but I'm saying that the unit is redundant on the tabletop.

If they do create some sort of unit that resembles the classic Terminators, it has to have far expanded capabilities, weapon options and rules.

No I get that they have classic status, but I'm saying that the unit is redundant on the tabletop.

If they do create some sort of unit that resembles the classic Terminators, it has to have far expanded capabilities, weapon options and rules.

In my opinion GW isn't worried about having redundant units in the primaris line at this point. I think you could make an agrument that they're shooting for it now. Which as long as the internal balance is good, isn't a bad thing. Space Marines are the most popular fraction so even minor differences in lists can make armies feel more unique.

That said a primaris terminator unit would give primaris a veteran unit, that has an invulnerable save, that teleports, and is str 8 in close combat. We don't have many veteran units, bladeguard are the only unit with an invulnerable save, teleport is uncommon, and aggressors are our only unit that all have str 8 attacks. So three rare traits and one uncommon one, thats a pretty good addition for a range that is pretty developed at this point.