Aeldari Codex - First Impressions

TrawlingCleaner

I thought I'd start a thread so we could give our first impressions of the Aeldari codex. I'm sure there will be tactia posts in the Craftworld and Outcasts forums too but a general purpose one would be good too.

What do you think of the changes?

How will your lists change?

Have you had any experience with the new Codex yet?

What are you most looking forward to trying/testing?

Have you spotted anything that might need FAQs or Clarifications by GW?

Most of the changes are very good. Pretty much everything has had a power-up but prices have also gone up in most cases so I don't think the codex will end up being overpowered. Some of the changes specifically address problems that have existed for all of 8th edition. Wraithknights in particular actually look playable now. The army is definitely going to compact and elite.

My biggest complaint is the loss of Dire Avengers from the Troops slot as I tended to lean on them quite heavily. Guardians are now about as good as Avengers used to be and a bit cheaper to boot so switching to them for the core of my army will not be a problem, just a slightly nuisance to paint. I think the core of my army will be 2 squads of Defenders and 1 of Rangers but we will see how things go.

I am looking forward to trying Axe/Shield Wraithblades for taking hotly contest Objectives. They really throw the shade on BladeGuard Vets. I will also enjoy fielding Wraithlords that don't degrade. My Wrathknight has been gathering dust for most of 8th but may see the tabletop again now, particularly now that Suncannon and Wraithcannon is a valid loadout. Did I mention I play Iyanden? :biggrin.:

Warp Spiders look strong with a combination of mobility and firepower. I used to run these guys a lot in earlier editions and they look better than ever with Assault D6 Blast guns. Our melee aspects look good too but they have had a significant price hike so I will experiment cautiously.

With so many effects triggering on 6s to Wound, I can see Doom being taken in every list. In spite of the new kit, Autarchs seem a little weaker as they can only buff CORE (expected) and no longer regenerate CPs. They still have some utility as a cheap buffing HQ but with so many stronger choices, I am not sure how often I will be running one now. On the other hand, Aspect Warriors are definitely back on the menu. Karandras in particular looks tasty and is one of the better PLs still in metal.

Lots of units have multiple special rules. I can see Swooping Hawks making great action monkeys and late-game Objective grabbers. Fire Dragons and Wraithguard seem no nearer to ending their ongoing feud about best anti-tank infantry. 2 Fire Prisms still be still be a staple in many lists as they are a solid source of anti-invulns.

Lots of experimenting lie ahead I think. Squeezing enough essential elements into the list is going to be a challenge I think.

. I think the core of my army will be 2 squads of Defenders and 1 of Rangers but we will see how things go.

I am looking forward to trying Axe/Shield Wraithblades for taking hotly contest Objectives. They really throw the shade on BladeGuard Vets. I will also enjoy fielding Wraithlords that don't degrade. My Wrathknight has been gathering dust for most of 8th but may see the tabletop again now, particularly now that Suncannon and Wraithcannon is a valid loadout. Did I mention I play Iyanden? :biggrin.:

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I have seen a lot of the youtube games that have been uploaded, and very few are using that kind of mix of infantry with Wraith units (a lot of all or nothing).

I always used 3 units of Rangers, but now I see the Defenders as a very fun, and thematic unit. I do think most of my lists will be infantry heavy to start so this is good. I too am starting with 2 units of Defenders, and 1 of Rangers. I just don't know how big to make the Defender squads. Blast is a real thing in my meta. (Also they still disappear so bloody fast.)

The last codex I played 90% of my games, trying to bully marines taking Oath with my 8 man axe/shield Wraiths. I think I will go down to 5, but this is THE unit for me to push stuff out. I still don't see a lot in the codex that has the necessary resilience to replace these guys.

Wraithlords... I used to always use 2, but I'll probably sit at one because.... BANSHEES! I just love them. I tried so many times to make them work previously, and honestly at a 4+ save I don't know if this will work but I plan my HQ's to be: Jain Zar, Farseer, Autarch. 

All of this is exciting to me because most of these are units that largely (aside from Axe/shield Wraiths) did not really work very well for me. 

As a side note, I think we'll see a ton of Spinner tanks. I wouldn't be surprised if they see a point hike because they are just such an obvious choice right now in our jam packed terrain meta. Indirect is something I've witnessed first hand with the new Tau and it's just incredibly potent to have an indirect, 2 damage weapon. I expect every list to have 2 for a while.

Even with Wraithlords moving to Elites, I can see Heavies remaining a hotly contested slot. Aspect Warriors are also going to create demand for Elites. With points also being squeezed by the price increases, I can see a lot of people opting for Patrol + Vanguard or Patrol + Spearhead rather than the straight Battalion. With fewer cool WLTs and Relics than Marines, I think there will be less demand on CPs pre-game so I think Battalions will not be as ubiquitous as with some other armies.

I like the way Ynnari are handled while not perfect (no Jain Zarr for instance), it is a great improvement over the previous version. You are no longer stuck using the Triumvirate if you don't want.

I can see why Incubi have to pay a premium to join Ynnari, "Strength from Death" is a bonus ability for them rather than replacing a DE ability. First Strike and +1 to-Hit is pretty potent on a unit that hits hard like Incubi.

My favourite Ynnari HQ is definitely going to be Wraithseer with WLT Warden of Souls and the Relic Lost Shround. The Warlord gains the -1Damage rule and gains +1 to their save against attacks with a damage characteristic of 1. The Character regains a wound at the start of the Command Phase. The Character gains +1S and +1A if within engagement range of an enemy unit that is below its starting strength.

One odd thing is that Aeldari seem to have no progressive faction-wide ability. Nothing like Power from Pain or Doctrines. This is pretty surprising. While Eldar look pretty strong in the new codex, it looks like they miss out on this sort of faction bonus, possibly to account for the liklihood of built-in Ynnari and/or Harlequins.

So if anyone complains that Eldar can soup while other factions are losing that ability, point out that we seem to lose an entire tier of bonuses for the privilege.

I’ve been looking at Ynnari as the ability to run different space elfs is cool, but I think that in practice, it’s just another craftworld. The army attribute is ok, but I don’t see it really encouraging eldar soup.

I dunno. I haven’t played much the past 6 months, but think traditional soup is better than what Ynnari currently provides.

I like That I can run Ynarri now (my model collection is quite eclectic) I'm not sure how competitive it will be but I look forward to trying to make something that is fun and good looking and also not a walk over....

Question  - I have never played harlequins before - so i ask generally what's the purpose/role of Skyweavers? , I'm not talking for a Pure Harlequin only force, I'm asking about them as a supporting Patrol detachment attached to CW force of Saim-Hann. I'm trying to decide on what role they'll play :sweat:  the Bola's vs Blade has me puzzled.... Can i get some Advice from Harlie players or anyone familiar with em... 

Cheers, Mithril

P.S. @ Prot - I see your list building is still as Hard and Lean as ever :biggrin.:  your scene must be mega competitive !? ...    

I like That I can run Ynarri now (my model collection is quite eclectic) I'm not sure how competitive it will be but I look forward to trying to make something that is fun and good looking and also not a walk over....

Question  - I have never played harlequins before - so i ask generally what's the purpose/role of Skyweavers? , I'm not talking for a Pure Harlequin only force, I'm asking about them as a supporting Patrol detachment attached to CW force of Saim-Hann. I'm trying to decide on what role they'll play :sweat:  the Bola's vs Blade has me puzzled.... Can i get some Advice from Harlie players or anyone familiar with em... 

Cheers, Mithril

P.S. @ Prot - I see your list building is still as Hard and Lean as ever :D  your scene must be mega competitive !? ...    

I usually run 6 or so at 1000 points. I have them as glaives and haywire. They're tough, 3 wounds, have blast and good anti tank. MVP generally. The glaives are plus 2 strength too. They're good all-rounders. Expensive mind.

For the most part?  I like it.  A lot.  It goes a long way to making Eldar the glass cannons they should be.  Most things feel elite.  Most weapons feel terrifying.  Darn will we die quick!

The other impressions are... well, I'm still salty about the silly Autarch thing!  Though am I right in reading that Matched Play it should be ok to mix and match the sets, but not PL based play?  Or does the Datasheet loadouts trump the points?

I'm also a bit annoyed about Swooping Hawks - not because they're bad!  Quite the contrary, they seem great!  Mostly because they lost the grenade ability they had, AND it still seems to be referenced in their fluff writeup of their datasheet -  "...picking off vulnerable formations with a hail of lasfire and plasma grenades."  and the big writeup earlier in the 'dex also references the grenade packs!

I have just had a good look at Wraithguard and D-Scythes look really good. One question was whether they could still shoot in melee since they have the Blast rule.

I have now read the entry and I am pretty sure D-Scythes can be fired in melee like Wraithcannons. This is because Wraithguard do not have "Big guns never tire". They have their own rule to allow shooting in melee but crucially it does not impose the -1 to-Hit penalty or exclude Blast weapons. I had been umming and aahhing between the 2 weapons but I think this tips it in favour of D-Scythes for me in a TAC list.

The other impressions are... well, I'm still salty about the silly Autarch thing!  Though am I right in reading that Matched Play it should be ok to mix and match the sets, but not PL based play?  Or does the Datasheet loadouts trump the points?

I think the Datasheet is king in both cases. The points tell you how much you pay for a particular option but does not tell which options you can legally mix IIRC. So a mix'n'match Autarch is not legal in either Power or Points. :sad.:

Unfortunately mixing and matching between kits is illegal using either points or power level as the restrictions are on the datasheet. It's a real shame to be honest, I wouldn't have minded if the winged version was more expensive than its worth just for legal rule of cool :biggrin.:

Overall I think the book is actually balanced (a weird sentiment in current 40k balance), most units are either about where they should be or are overcosted with very few outliers. The internal balance is very good with most units having a place, making the player make tough decisions on what to take. There are very few "Autotakes" and even less "nevertakes" with most builds being strong enough to get enjoyable games with: Swordwind, Wraithdar and Shuriken spam are all great.

As I mentioned, some units are currently too good in my opinion which are mainly: The Webway Gates and the Falcon, closely followed up the Support Platform with Shadow Weaver and the Night Spinner tank. The easy ones are the Support Platforms and Night Spinner, for me Non-LOS weapons are currently too good and that whole aspect of 40k needs to be changed (which is a conversation for another topic).

Webway Gates are an issue for me, mainly because your opponent has no real way of interacting with them. GSC are the only faction that can destroy a Gate. Gates can only be deployed outside of 9" of enemy units or 9" of the enemy deployment zone and units like SM Infiltrators can force Gates to 12" away from enemy units. Enemies cannot interact with it any other way, the units coming out of the Gate can't be zoned out as they come down within Engagement range... For 80 points :sweat:

The Falcon has a kind of similar problem, in that they can drop down outside of 9" of an enemy unit but on the first turn. Even with current Terrain packed boards, it's incredibly difficult to hide anything from a Falcon which can then Fire and Fade behind some terrain or to get further away.

All of that said, I'm incredibly hyped to get games in with this Codex. Howling Banshees look absolutely ace as do all the Aspect Warriors. Guardians also look like they have a place, bonuses to their shooting/melee when on an objective is a great change and helps push home the civillian milita holding backfield objectives while the Aspect Warriors push up. Wraith units are incredibly tanky as they should be and should really help buoy the more fragile aspects of the Aeldari.

I ran Biel Tan for the whole of 8th as I loved the RR1s for Shuriken weapons and the Warlord Trait and I think I'll likely stick with Biel Tan going forward as the fixed Battle Focus move is really handy as is the Reroll 1 hit roll per unit.

Now I just need to figure out how I want to equip my Autarch and Warwalkers. So many decisions! :biggrin.:

The Falcon has a kind of similar problem, in that they can drop down outside of 9" of an enemy unit but on the first turn. Even with current Terrain packed boards, it's incredibly difficult to hide anything from a Falcon which can then Fire and Fade behind some terrain or to get further away.

WOAH! I had missed the Falcon rules in my skimming through. It combines the benefits of a Drop Pod and a tank! The only question is going to be what cargo it should carry. So many Aspects to choose from. Melee Aspects have their own ways of getting close to the enemy so Dragons and Avengers look promising as they both like operating close to the enemy.

P.S. @ Prot - I see your list building is still as Hard and Lean as ever :biggrin.:  your scene must be mega competitive !? ...    

I am sorry it comes off that way, but yes it is very competitive. The people are truly great, but there are really potent armies in the rotation all the time. So right now I face a lot of Tau, Nids, GSC, Orks, and Custodes.  (I am the only chaos and marine player in this group!)

So what I do is make what I consider an 'upper tier' list but I always leave room for fun stuff. Then I play the list according to my opponent's abilities. 

With Eldar, I actually am not convinced they are top  meta. I used to face Sisters a lot and I think Eldar will play similar in competitive play. The 'ability' to hit hard will be there, but I think the codex will be very unforgiving. I also think it will be easy to build a 'bad' (competitive) list. (IE: with custodes this is nearly impossible)

That's just me, and it's still early though! 

Edited by Prot

WOAH! I had missed the Falcon rules in my skimming through. It combines the benefits of a Drop Pod and a tank! The only question is going to be what cargo it should carry. So many Aspects to choose from. Melee Aspects have their own ways of getting close to the enemy so Dragons and Avengers look promising as they both like operating close to the enemy.

Dragons are the obvious choice but Banshees work too. You can SoF one of their charge dice and give them Ghost Walk for a guaranteed charge (2"+6"+1d6"= minimum 9").

I have just had a good look at Wraithguard and D-Scythes look really good. One question was whether they could still shoot in melee since they have the Blast rule.I have now read the entry and I am pretty sure D-Scythes can be fired in melee like Wraithcannons. This is because Wraithguard do not have "Big guns never tire". They have their own rule to allow shooting in melee but crucially it does not impose the -1 to-Hit penalty or exclude Blast weapons. I had been umming and aahhing between the 2 weapons but I think this tips it in favour of D-Scythes for me in a TAC list.

I think the Datasheet is king in both cases. The points tell you how much you pay for a particular option but does not tell which options you can legally mix IIRC. So a mix'n'match Autarch is not legal in either Power or Points. :(

I think D Scythes still can't fire into combat. The Blast rule itself says that Blast weapons can never be fired into combat. I think the Wraithguard rule would need to explicitly override that in order for it to be legal. It does seem stupid though if they don't want to let them fire into engagement.

I think D Scythes still can't fire into combat. The Blast rule itself says that Blast weapons can never be fired into combat. I think the Wraithguard rule would need to explicitly override that in order for it to be legal. It does seem stupid though if they don't want to let them fire into engagement.

Actually on reflection you may be right. I thought the restriction was in "Big Guns Never Tire" but it is actually in rules for Blast itself. :sad.:

I'm very happy with the new Codex. 

I figure the new Seer Council Strat helps Ulthwé seem more and more like Ulthwé (8th ed, they didn't feel like anything). Getting +2 on first cast and +1 on all others is very nice for the Council. 

Guardians getting a boost really helps as I used a lot of them and still want to.

My favorite Falcon gets new life.

Sadly Vypers got bupkiss, was hoping to use them.

Basically with me, I play one Craftworld; Ulthwé. I don't go over the codex to see if something is better, I look to see if my chosen army has gotten any attention, and Ulthwé got a lot of attention.

I’d be taking 6 Warlocks for the council. Only 120 points. Protect on them, perhaps Conceal as well since they get 2 powers and casts.

My point being I loved the old Seer Councils you used to be able to field. This lets me get something like I used to be able take, and feels like Ulthwé.

It’s an auto-pick for me, just for flavor.

I will be starting out with Ulthwé this week. I plan on using a squad of 2 warlocks with the seer council strat. My intent is to leave them out of LOS, but within bodyguard range of Eldrad . My intent was to use them for the new (to Nachtmund) secondary changes to psychic interrogation. I started taking this with Nachmund in almost every game.. it does not  require LoS and I often get it off 4 turns a game. Just food for thought. 

Edited by Prot