Aeldari Codex - First Impressions

TrawlingCleaner

I have seen some number-crunching that suggests Avengers with HoD are not far behind Fire Dragons for killing vehicles on a point-per point basis. You can buy almost exactly 2 Avengers for each Fire Dragon so let's run some numbers against T8, 3+ save.

Fire Dragon has 1 shot, hitting on a 3+, wounding on a 3+, negating any non-invuln saves and doing D6+2 wounds. That gives an average of 2.44 wounds per Dragon.

2 Avengers get 6 shots, hitting on 3+, wounding on a 6, negating any non-invuln saves and doing 1 wound but 6s to hit automatically go through. That is 1 automatic wound, and 3 hits that wound on a 6. This gives and average of 1.5 wounds 

OK, so Dragons are better "big game" hunters than HoD Avengers (which you would expect) but the difference is not actually that huge. Fire Dragons cause about 10 wounds per 100 points to vehicle targets while Avengers cause about 6 wounds per 100 points. But the Avengers are far more flexible and will shred infantry far more effectively than the Dragons and also benefit more from Doom. Avengers also bring more warm bodies to the field (although they are T3 4+ rather than T4 3+).

I was wondering what to do with my 20 Avengers, I think I may have found an answer! :D

I have seen some number-crunching that suggests Avengers with HoD are not far behind Fire Dragons for killing vehicles on a point-per point basis. You can buy almost exactly 2 Avengers for each Fire Dragon so let's run some numbers against T8, 3+ save.

Fire Dragon has 1 shot, hitting on a 3+, wounding on a 3+, negating any non-invuln saves and doing D6+2 wounds. That gives an average of 2.44 wounds per Dragon.

2 Avengers get 6 shots, hitting on 3+, wounding on a 6, negating any non-invuln saves and doing 1 wound but 6s to hit automatically go through. That is 1 automatic wound, and 3 hits that wound on a 6. This gives and average of 1.5 wounds 

OK, so Dragons are better "big game" hunters than HoD Avengers (which you would expect) but the difference is not actually that huge. Fire Dragons cause about 10 wounds per 100 points to vehicle targets while Avengers cause about 6 wounds per 100 points. But the Avengers are far more flexible and will shred infantry far more effectively than the Dragons and also benefit more from Doom. Avengers also bring more warm bodies to the field (although they are T3 4+ rather than T4 3+).

I was wondering what to do with my 20 Avengers, I think I may have found an answer! :biggrin.:

I was wondering what to do with my 20 Avengers, I think I may have found an answer! :biggrin.:

You know what's better at killing vechicles than HoD Avengers? Mobile warriors Avengers. 

Theoretical - a guided 10 man avengers squad is shooting at a doomed Leman Russ, the squad uses bladestorm strat.

HoD - 10 damage on average (rounded down)

MW - 12 damage on average (rounded up).

If the squad has the shredding fire exarch power then on both occasions they will take out the Leman Russ.

I think mobile warriors is more flexible in a mechanized list since it gives slightly better returns vs vechicles with Avengers, while also working in the fight phase and actually buffing other units like striking scorpions. HoD has it's own merit in not needing a vechicle to work and will work in turns where the unit is objective camping. So if you are playing a mobile, aggressive force and want to alpha strike on turns 1/2 then I would rather go with mobile warriors and fore example savage blades - since mobile warriors still works in the fight phase, your 10 dire avengers are putting out 21 rerollable ws3+ attacks that have +1 to wound and -1 ap. These guys can be a nice ace up your sleeve that can catch opponents off guard. There might actually be some merit to either the dire sword or power glaive on the exarch.

Don't want to do the maths but Mobile warrior/savage blades striking scorpions are probably extremely potent on the charge.

Ok fast maths - 9 scorps without a an exarch will do around 24 unsaved wounds vs space marines that don't use transhuman :D

I was wondering what to do with my 20 Avengers, I think I may have found an answer! :biggrin.:

You know what's better at killing vechicles than HoD Avengers? Mobile warriors Avengers. 

Theoretical - a guided 10 man avengers squad is shooting at a doomed Leman Russ, the squad uses bladestorm strat.

HoD - 10 damage on average (rounded down)

MW - 12 damage on average (rounded up).

If the squad has the shredding fire exarch power then on both occasions they will take out the Leman Russ.

I think mobile warriors is more flexible in a mechanized list since it gives slightly better returns vs vechicles with Avengers, while also working in the fight phase and actually buffing other units like striking scorpions. HoD has it's own merit in not needing a vechicle to work and will work in turns where the unit is objective camping. So if you are playing a mobile, aggressive force and want to alpha strike on turns 1/2 then I would rather go with mobile warriors and fore example savage blades - since mobile warriors still works in the fight phase, your 10 dire avengers are putting out 21 rerollable ws3+ attacks that have +1 to wound and -1 ap. These guys can be a nice ace up your sleeve that can catch opponents off guard. There might actually be some merit to either the dire sword or power glaive on the exarch.

Don't want to do the maths but Mobile warrior/savage blades striking scorpions are probably extremely potent on the charge.

Ok fast maths - 9 scorps without a an exarch will do around 24 unsaved wounds vs space marines that don't use transhuman :D

I have not, but I've seen a few reports in FB groups.  Oddly, every report seems to come from either end of the bell curve: either the Avatar is super tough and absolutely mercs half the enemy army, or it gets blinked off the table in the first turn without harming anything.

I’m liking my Iyanden force in the new edition. It’s sneaky durable and has enough unique tricks and toys while not feeling super powered. The spiritseer is tricky to fit in with the avatar, autarch and farseers I want, but the new warlock method is nice. Not speaking from a hyper competitive perspective though tbh.

Tanking hits on a support platform in cover has been fun. The usual anti infantry AP is really hampered by the faction bonus, and it’s not readily mimicked like the others are. Things in cover have been tough to dig out.

Warlord trait is meh though for sure lol

Warlord trait is meh though for sure lol

I will be honest, most of the WLTs and Relics seem pretty underwhelming. When I am playing Marines, I regularly splash 2-3CPs on extra traits and Relics but I don't feel the urge to do the same for Eldar. A couple of the Exarch Shrine relics look like they have some mileage though.

Help me out here guys, my buddy says there is a loophole that lets a wave serpent carry wraith knights….is that true? Thanks in advance. If there is one he’s found he’s gonna try and use it on me.

:rolleyes:  relying on the "wraith construct" keyword? 

Edited by The Blood Raven

Guys, 4 (7?) questions about the new codex:

1. Dire Avenger Exarch appears to have the option to use and + fire 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults. Is that correct? (therebye getting 6 shots)

2. Guardians' Heavy Weapon Platform;

-counts as a model for purposes of taking up space in transport, right?

-still qualifies as an infantry model so suffers -1 move and shoot penalty for heavy weapons?

3. Strands of Fate dice;

-go away at the end of the Battle Round and are never carried over.

-can be used more than once in any given phase/turn as long as I have the respective dice. (ie, if my Autarch gets hit and wounded by 2 meltaguns in the same shooting phase, I can

use 2 Strands of Fate "6's" (ie, saves) to auto-pass 2 of his invuln saves, right?

4. Wireweave Grenades Stratagem (pg 101)....Read this stratagem very carefully.   After you roll a d3, you consult the bulleted points below that.  The wording does NOT suggest to me

that the affect you get is based on the result of your roll, rather that you get all 3 affects.  Is my reading correct?  Also...regarding the first bullet....What would happen if you rolled 3  mortal wounds but against a multi-wound model/unit.   So for example, your die roll is 5 (ie, 3).  The enemy unit would suffer 3 mortal wounds, to a max of 1 mortal wound per model the enemy unit.  Does that mean, for a unit of 5 terminators, the controlling player would choose 3 terminator models, each of whom received 1 wound?

4. Wireweave Grenades Stratagem (pg 101)....Read this stratagem very carefully.   After you roll a d3, you consult the bulleted points below that.  The wording does NOT suggest to me

that the affect you get is based on the result of your roll, rather that you get all 3 affects.  Is my reading correct?  Also...regarding the first bullet....What would happen if you rolled 3  mortal wounds but against a multi-wound model/unit.   So for example, your die roll is 5 (ie, 3).  The enemy unit would suffer 3 mortal wounds, to a max of 1 mortal wound per model the enemy unit.  Does that mean, for a unit of 5 terminators, the controlling player would choose 3 terminator models, each of whom received 1 wound?

No, you are not allowed to have multiple models in a unit all partially wounded. The maximum limit it applied to the total number of mortal Wounds. For example, if you are targetting a unit of 2 models, you would only get 2 MWs max, you cannot get 3. However if the unit conists of models with more than one wound, the MWs can (and must) be applied to wounded models first until they die. Only then can remaining MWs start to be applied to fresh models.

Well... despite Armour of Contempt - we still got it, people...

List last night into Death Guard was WLord, 2 d-cannons, Prism, 2 serpents (DA + Scorps + Dragons + warlock), more Scorps, Spiders, Shroudrunners, scatter bikes, 2x5 rangers, 1x15 guardians, and 2 farseers. 

Got Turn 1, grabbed 4/5 objectives, and was able to move block enemy rhino advance something fierce with Serpents and feed in outflankers to keep the line wide... Game stopped after my turn 3 after I'd shot him off his objective and he still hadn't been able to push on to any others. He needed a bunch more terminators, and Armour of Contempt is annoying sometimes, but any rash of 2s on saves still kills 'em dead.

Hilariously in turn 2 my 5 dragons did exactly nothing to the Daemon prince due to hot daemon saves, but then he promptly failed three saves vs the serpent laser, was unable to kill dragons because of Strands saves and my own 5++, and they fell back and fried him turn 3.

If anything armour of contempt made the scatter laser better lol, so I'm not complaining.

D-cannons are just... so much fun, you guys.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 months later...

We played the forests as obscuring, and everythig as impassible to the knights, so it wasn't as bad as it looked - stripping 112 T7+ wounds, often with a 4++ was a monumental task though. I might have to go back to running dual prisms. The issue there is that the link fire has to be on a single target, which is then potentially wasted on wardogs/armigers (average 24 wounds on 4 hits+wounds). The Avatar would be able to take something out in melee, however T8, 14W isn't that strong in the face of knights.